Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

This is going to be a stupid question but how similar is Soul Calibur to Tekken outside of them both being 3D fighters from the same publisher? Over the past month I've fallen in love with Tekken 7 and pretty much stopped playing any other fighter, but I'm curious if I should check out SC6 when it comes out or just keep focusing on one game. I've never played any of the other games in the series and am pretty new to 3D fighters but really enjoying them now.

Absolutely nothing like it.

Movement is completely different, juggle combos are incredibly limited. The entire weapon system means that footsie ranges are also completely different. That they both have Yoshimitsu is about as close as they get imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cinnamon Bear posted:

This is going to be a stupid question but how similar is Soul Calibur to Tekken outside of them both being 3D fighters from the same publisher? Over the past month I've fallen in love with Tekken 7 and pretty much stopped playing any other fighter, but I'm curious if I should check out SC6 when it comes out or just keep focusing on one game. I've never played any of the other games in the series and am pretty new to 3D fighters but really enjoying them now.

There aren't many air juggle wombo combos in SC and it utilizes more of the 3D plane with horizontal + vertical weapon attacks rather than right + left. To my knowledge it's never been as technical or competitive as Tekken at the high level.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spanish Manlove posted:

What team are you running?

But yeah c is a button you don't want to spam

Probably Chie + Someone, I was just playing story mode for a few minutes to try and fighre out what layout I wanted

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Natural 20 posted:

Absolutely nothing like it.

Movement is completely different, juggle combos are incredibly limited. The entire weapon system means that footsie ranges are also completely different. That they both have Yoshimitsu is about as close as they get imo.

exquisite tea posted:

There aren't many air juggle wombo combos in SC and it utilizes more of the 3D plane with horizontal + vertical weapon attacks rather than right + left. To my knowledge it's never been as technical or competitive as Tekken at the high level.

Thanks for the explanation! Might wait and see then and just focus on one game.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

...Fireforce? He's supposed to be saying FIREFORCE???

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its glorious.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
just put a 2lb spring in my stick, it feels way more solid and deliberate than it did before

did have a moment of terror where i forgot to hold the actuator down when i removed the clip and it launched itself into the air, but it happened to land in the tupperware thing i was keeping screws in while i worked

i think i'm going to order a phreakmods link this week, its the only mod i want to make but havent yet, and about as much as im willing to put into a basic rear end mayflash starter

edit also figuring out a layout for five button fighters is dumb, for all of street fighter's flaws at least its an obvious layout

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Bosushi! posted:

https://twitter.com/chindogg21/status/1012793651964121094?s=21

People asking for more info are getting links to Hungry Like The Wolf.

Oh Wolfkrone. :allears:

Apparently he did it again today?

https://twitter.com/TheKeits/status/1013088463556628482?s=19

edit: apparently yesterday was in his SFV pool, today was in his dbfz pool

Ventana fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 30, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Apparently tournaments let a lot of that poo poo slide so i'm not surprised scumbags keep doing it. In the replies someone describes a dude who just straight up reported the wrong result in a pool game "because he felt he was really better and deserved to move on" and after he got found out instead of getting DQ'd they just let him continue in losers because he was a regular. I'd be shocked if he doesn't try that again sooner than later.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Apparently tournaments let a lot of that poo poo slide so i'm not surprised scumbags keep doing it. In the replies someone describes a dude who just straight up reported the wrong result in a pool game "because he felt he was really better and deserved to move on" and after he got found out instead of getting DQ'd they just let him continue in losers because he was a regular. I'd be shocked if he doesn't try that again sooner than later.

loving what

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Smash. It's always smash.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also Florida.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

RoadCrewWorker posted:

he just wants his participation trophy

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheKeits/status/1013136165917151232

whoopsie daisies

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That's one of the reasons why most majors require the winner of the match to report the result.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

loving what

https://twitter.com/MegamanDS/status/985359967065595904

Note that it probably happened a long time ago, seeing as how FFA isn't around anymore

Spanish Manlove posted:

Smash. It's always smash.

I don't think MMDS would be TOing smash tournaments, or if FFA even ran many Smash tournaments in general.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Messing around with Fighter Layer EX in training mode, I can tell I'm going to really like this game, which sucks because me liking something means few people are going to give a poo poo about it, IE Titanfall 2 / Splatoon 2.

gently caress, why can't street fighter 5 be this fast?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Night Blade posted:

Messing around with Fighter Layer EX in training mode, I can tell I'm going to really like this game, which sucks because me liking something means few people are going to give a poo poo about it, IE Titanfall 2 / Splatoon 2.

gently caress, why can't street fighter 5 be this fast?

Splatoon 2 is extremely popular

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shiki Dan posted:

That's one of the reasons why most majors require the winner of the match to report the result.

Which doesn't do anything to actually ensure it happening, magic requires you to fill out a sheet and both sign it which at least makes sure you're both okay with what's being reported

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In Training posted:

Splatoon 2 is extremely popular

*In Japan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Everywhere

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Even though all the best players are in Japan you can play them online at least

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ventana posted:

https://twitter.com/MegamanDS/status/985359967065595904

Note that it probably happened a long time ago, seeing as how FFA isn't around anymore

I don't think MMDS would be TOing smash tournaments, or if FFA even ran many Smash tournaments in general.

bitches be "lol it's gotta be smash" when marvel 2 was full of dirtbags

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sorry, I should have specified.

The Comp scene in the USA is pretty much nonexistent.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

what layouts are you guys who play BBxTag using on your sticks?

I am odd, but I run

abcd
p

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

1500 posted:

I am odd, but I run

abcd
p

Well at least you never accidentally burst.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What was the final verdict on USF4? I checked out around its release. I don't remember it getting creamed like SF5 is.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

RBX posted:

What was the final verdict on USF4? I checked out around its release. I don't remember it getting creamed like SF5 is.

Elena ruined it, the last tournaments were just dogshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Double Bill posted:

Elena ruined it, the last tournaments were just dogshit.

This but the opposite. If you preferred the game before you're probably one of the lost children that loved watching Evil Ryu shuffle around for 8 hours every stream. Ultra at least gave us some fun Rolento matches and Elena scumming it out as hard as possible.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This but the opposite. If you preferred the game before you're probably one of the lost children that loved watching Evil Ryu shuffle around for 8 hours every stream. Ultra at least gave us some fun Rolento matches and Elena scumming it out as hard as possible.

Rolento wasn't a character that got anywhere near top 8's, meanwhile every single top player had a pocket Elena and did nothing but short short short short. Even AE Yun wasn't as boring to watch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Every tournament turned into the last group being who can lame it out with E. Ryu and Elena more, with maybe one or two people playing a not entirely braindead character, who'll probably still switch off to Elena.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RBX posted:

there was a huge push from community heads at the release of sf4 to support the game even though a lot of people felt like sf4 was a poo poo game and big departure from what made previous good SF games good. USF4 was like the 5th version of a game that wasnt good in the first place but it wasnt outright terrible in the way that sf5 is. for playing USF4 with friends, or watching matches with people that forgot how to play its fine. but the game at high level was a snorefest.. and the more knowledge you had, as a spectator or player, the worse it got.

heres an example vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TilsQ1DkZbk

the meaty jumping move is an unblockable. why? who knows but its also got a built in OS for doing a demon if you try to reversal out. every character has stuff like this.

the game is just total poo poo

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All of that is sad to hear because watching old matches is more fun than watching SF5.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RBX posted:

All of that is sad to hear because watching old matches is more fun than watching SF5.

sf4 is a much better spectator game than sfv. sfv is very dry, which is fine, but very boring (as opposed to ST which is dry and exciting)

sf4 just has problems with OS's and unblockables that make it really tough to enjoy imo. and watching late stage usf4 tournaments and hearing commentary pretend that things that were OS'd were "reads" or that unblockables were "crossups" was really bad. so was watching elena and timeouts. even with all the bullshit in sf4 id watch it over sfv no question

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
sf4 is marginally better than sf5 b/c it had stuff like the match where two hondas just stared at eachother and sometimes threw out normals from fullscreen the entire round

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Double Bill posted:

Rolento wasn't a character that got anywhere near top 8's, meanwhile every single top player had a pocket Elena and did nothing but short short short short. Even AE Yun wasn't as boring to watch.

While the core of this post is true, are you forgetting Nemo who got into several top 8's? A couple of times he played other characters but he definitely was using mostly Rolento. LPN made a couple of Top 8's too. There were only a few top Rolento players but he still made several top 8's.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

sf4 is marginally better than sf5 b/c it had stuff like the match where two hondas just stared at eachother and sometimes threw out normals from fullscreen the entire round

SF4 had my girl which led to all of this and all of Smug's Dudley so at least it'll always have those if nothing else.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
From a purely casual standpoint USF4 is a thousand times better than SF5 to play with a group of friends with some SF2 experience.

Plus I really liked Juri in SF4. SURE AM GLAD I BOUGHT THE CHARACTER PASS FOR SF5 TO GET HER.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Medullah posted:

Plus I really liked Juri in SF4. SURE AM GLAD I BOUGHT THE CHARACTER PASS FOR SF5 TO GET HER.

I was pretty happy when Sakura got announced because she's another silly character I like a lot, then was utterly unsurprised when she turned out to be low tier like all the fun DLC people, while Abi "Literally Who" Gail banged their face on the buttons for wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RBX posted:

Ive watched a few dozen hours of tournaments on twitch while never having played SF. Abigail seems horribly frustrating and i always hate to see him win with saltybet-style mexidamage. Apparently people hate the egyptian orb girl (does she qualify as a zoner in this game?) but ive seen her get shredded pretty hard as well and at least she seems more fun to watch as a glass-cannon. I don't know enough about the footsies in the game to appreciate them to the fullest on the high skill display tho, so they mostly just look like goofy timescamming to me.