Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Helldesk is where people with no certs and no experience start. They answer calls back to back to back all day long and do nothing but triage tickets. It's not a good place to end up because you don't get hands-on experience, the Tier 2 and 3 folks take care of change implementation.

With certs and no experience, you should be at least answering calls, investigating problems, and providing solutions. I HIGHLY recommend against trying to skip the 'talking to customers' portion of the career track. There's a ton of valuable information and experience you'll get when talking to non-technical people about problems they can't accurately describe. The soft-skills are one of the biggest differences in the candidate pool and if you've never practiced them, it will be obvious.

With experience and no certs, you can get in to whatever field best suites your interest within 5 years.

With experience AND certs, you'll get that job sooner and at higher pay, which is nice.

* This conjecture is based solely on my personal experience and IT professionals around me, and should not be taken as the word of god or anything.

Agree with just about everything in this post. I started out with a lot of personal computer experience but no job experience and no certs, got a job in customer facing call center support for a web product, moved to internal IT helpdesk, to Jr. SysAdmin, to SysAdmin, to some specific BS title now within the span of a few years, and each step was helpful for setting me up for the next opportunity. You learn a ton doing helpdesk that can help you as a SysAdmin, and in turn, you learn a ton about how things operate and how services are run and managed as a SysAdmin that will make you a good Security Person. Some of it will be grunt work and suck, but its a good way into the industry and that experience will probably open more doors than just collecting certs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Thanks to all of you, you've given me a lot to think about!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

For the VMWare vSphere 6 Foundations and DCV exams, does anyone know if you get multiple attempts?

I thought I had read that one payment entitles you to take the exam a few times, but now I can't find that info. Maybe it was a dream :iiam:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

snackcakes posted:

For the VMWare vSphere 6 Foundations and DCV exams, does anyone know if you get multiple attempts?

I thought I had read that one payment entitles you to take the exam a few times, but now I can't find that info. Maybe it was a dream :iiam:

Not familiar with VMWare specifically but I doubt it. Maybe if you got some kind of package deal at a training company.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

snackcakes posted:

Nope. Don't gently caress it up! (It's not that hard).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

my bitter bi rival posted:

Agree with just about everything in this post. I started out with a lot of personal computer experience but no job experience and no certs, got a job in customer facing call center support for a web product, moved to internal IT helpdesk, to Jr. SysAdmin, to SysAdmin, to some specific BS title now within the span of a few years, and each step was helpful for setting me up for the next opportunity. You learn a ton doing helpdesk that can help you as a SysAdmin, and in turn, you learn a ton about how things operate and how services are run and managed as a SysAdmin that will make you a good Security Person. Some of it will be grunt work and suck, but its a good way into the industry and that experience will probably open more doors than just collecting certs.

Additionally: you have to put in your time with the grunt work before people will trust you with bigger stuff, and if you look like you think you're too good to do that it may reflect poorly on your attitude. I get that you want more autonomy but you generally won't get it until you have some experience under your belt.

Certifications are good and earning a CCNA with no experience is impressive, but all paper certifications and no experience is a red flag past a certain point; I would suggest getting some industry experience before chasing more certs. It will also give you a chance to find out what you like. A CCNP R&S is great but if you don't actually like doing networking I can't imagine bothering. And on the infosec side, IIRC at least the CISSP requires relevant work experience to get.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you don't have experience, you're not going to pass the CISSP exam anyways. Unless you're a savant or something.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

guppy posted:

Additionally: you have to put in your time with the grunt work before people will trust you with bigger stuff, and if you look like you think you're too good to do that it may reflect poorly on your attitude. I get that you want more autonomy but you generally won't get it until you have some experience under your belt.

Certifications are good and earning a CCNA with no experience is impressive, but all paper certifications and no experience is a red flag past a certain point; I would suggest getting some industry experience before chasing more certs. It will also give you a chance to find out what you like. A CCNP R&S is great but if you don't actually like doing networking I can't imagine bothering. And on the infosec side, IIRC at least the CISSP requires relevant work experience to get.

This also speaks to culture: around here (MKE), a paper CCNA can undoubtedly and easily get placed but it'll be temp gigs from bad companies (even for temp agencies) with terrible working conditions and zero stability and as these gigs continue you can end up career-tracked.

That being said: moving up internally isn't necessarily easier because, while a company doesn't really know anything about an external applicant beyond what the resume and the interview tell them, the (e.g.) IT Manager at your company remembers you and the time you did a stupid thing* and it can be tough to move beyond that.

*: I swear, you gently caress one chimp let one rogue DHCP server out of your lab and onto an enterprise network and all of a sudden you're marked for life...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 30, 2018

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
While on the topic of career pathways...
Is there much value to the CCENT when looking for jobs versus the full CCNA?
For context: obtained CCENT in April, going to take Sec+ in a week, and then my original plan was to shift immediately to the ICND2 and try to knock out the full CCNA by the start of October. Then I’d be primed to hit the job market with a year of experience in my current gig and the Sec+/CCNA to boot. The burnout is real at my current job so I’d really like to not spend too much more time beyond the fall there, at least in my current role.

That said, between the grind of work and studying 10-15 hours a week for certs (plus trying to have a normal life on top of that), the burnout is also real as far as studying goes. I’m seriously tempted to just hit pause after the exam next week with my current certs, then try to just mess around with Python or Powershell until the fall and try my luck with seeing what’s out there job-wise.

Thoughts? Is the CCENT not worth much on its own and I should just grind out the ICND2 for the next few months?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Depends what level job you're looking for. Ccent won't get you a job you'll want to stay at. But there's nothing stopping you from applying to see if something will interest you for a year or two while you hammer out the rest of those certs.

My first few jobs were two years, one year, and one and a half years, all while collecting certs and education. Now I'm finally at a job I think I'll stay at for a while, good pay, good technical work, low downsides.

Job hopping definitely helps get a broad picture of the industry and sets a wide net of experience for the job you want. Just don't burn any bridges and make sure you have a solid reference from each role so it doesn't look like you're job hopping because you don't fit the role. My references all say they wish I would have stayed at their company, so nobody blinks at me having 4 jobs in 5 years.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

For what it's worth, I got a job at a NOC with a CCENT. Guessing it at least got me through HR, then I did well on the phone and in person interviews.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Schadenboner posted:

*: I swear, you gently caress one chimp let one rogue DHCP server out of your lab and onto an enterprise network and all of a sudden you're marked for life...

I laughed way too hard at this.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

KillHour posted:

Nope. Don't gently caress it up! (It's not that hard).

Foundations down real, scary, proctored exam to go. Thanks for making me realize failure wasn't an option.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Space Racist posted:

While on the topic of career pathways...
Is there much value to the CCENT when looking for jobs versus the full CCNA?
For context: obtained CCENT in April, going to take Sec+ in a week, and then my original plan was to shift immediately to the ICND2 and try to knock out the full CCNA by the start of October. Then I’d be primed to hit the job market with a year of experience in my current gig and the Sec+/CCNA to boot. The burnout is real at my current job so I’d really like to not spend too much more time beyond the fall there, at least in my current role.

That said, between the grind of work and studying 10-15 hours a week for certs (plus trying to have a normal life on top of that), the burnout is also real as far as studying goes. I’m seriously tempted to just hit pause after the exam next week with my current certs, then try to just mess around with Python or Powershell until the fall and try my luck with seeing what’s out there job-wise.

Thoughts? Is the CCENT not worth much on its own and I should just grind out the ICND2 for the next few months?

CCENT is better than nothing and I know at least one person whose job required a CCENT specifically, but I think a CCNA is much more valuable. You also don't want to forget the material from ICND1. I don't know if this is you, but I've seen a lot of people talk about studying for months and months for the CCNA, and while it's a difficult test -- particularly for where it's aimed in terms of experience -- I think that's overkill. If you're studying for than a month or so I'm not sure how much good it's doing you.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

guppy posted:

CCENT is better than nothing and I know at least one person whose job required a CCENT specifically, but I think a CCNA is much more valuable. You also don't want to forget the material from ICND1. I don't know if this is you, but I've seen a lot of people talk about studying for months and months for the CCNA, and while it's a difficult test -- particularly for where it's aimed in terms of experience -- I think that's overkill. If you're studying for than a month or so I'm not sure how much good it's doing you.

studying for months and months for a CCNA makes sense if you're brand new to TCP/IP and networking in general.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

snackcakes posted:

Foundations down real, scary, proctored exam to go. Thanks for making me realize failure wasn't an option.

I mean, it is if you have the money to blow. If you want to fell better about your situation, I'm studying for a $700/attempt exam.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

guppy posted:

I took about 2.5 months for the ICND1, and was planning to devote the same amount of time to the ICND2. That’s averaging about 10 hours per week of studying, a little more some other weeks. I’m mostly brand new to enterprise networking so that seemed an appropriate amount of time from what I gathered elsewhere.

Anyway, I think my plan is to finish the Sec+ (which I wanted due to DoD jobs in my area) and then ease into studying for the ICND2 over the rest of July, and go from there. Trying to be done by October was my own self-imposed deadline, but there’s really no harm in hanging around a bit longer while I finish up if need be (besides dealing with the existing job’s frustrations).

That said, no harm in keeping an eye on job postings along the way, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I took my ISTQB exam last thursday and failed it by three questions. It was $250. :eng99:

The majority of the questions on the exam were a magnitude harder than the practice exams from online (and the phone app); certain similar terms threw me off for a loop (like use case vs test case, static analysis means what?)

Where could I go for harder mock questions?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Taking my Net+ next week. I'm nervous. Any last minute tips? I feel confident in understanding the material, but there's a lot of little details to memorize

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Taking my Net+ next week. I'm nervous. Any last minute tips? I feel confident in understanding the material, but there's a lot of little details to memorize

Review common troubleshooting steps, review wireless stuff, do a once-over of cabling standards/protocols.

Otherwise just take your time - I had more time than I thought after the first pass, plenty of time to review.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Know your port numbers!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Know your subnets. CIDR notation, number of hosts, number of networks, that stuff. When you first sit down, before you start the test, immediately write all that info down on the whiteboard you have. Make a list of the decimal notation along with how many hosts and networks right underneath it. It will be a good quick reference and save you from having to do the math on each question about subnets.

Do the same thing with port numbers too if you have time.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

I just passed N10-006.

Ports, troubleshooting, CIDR, and wireless standards.

I found the udemy practice tests to be helpful. I think they are still on sale.

RescueFreak fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 3, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

snackcakes posted:

Did you do the unproctored web version of the Foundations exam? If so, was it like MS where you have to sweep the room with a webcam, have no scratch paper, etc.?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Anyone here take the beta Pentest+ exam? I’m trying to find something concrete about when they’re releasing scores but haven’t seen anything. Happy to give trip report if anyone is interested as well.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

MJP posted:

Did you do the unproctored web version of the Foundations exam? If so, was it like MS where you have to sweep the room with a webcam, have no scratch paper, etc.?

Goodness no. I didn't know Microsoft does that. That's terrifying. I don't even own a webcam.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I had to do that with the ITIL exams. It's pretty ridiculous.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

For what it's worth, I got a job at a NOC with a CCENT. Guessing it at least got me through HR, then I did well on the phone and in person interviews.

For what it's worth I work in a NOC and I'm taking my CCENT next month. I've been in the industry awhile though. The intention is to finally get my CCNA in 2019.

Cert exams scare the piss out of me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There are no Redhat testing locations in my state for RHCE/RHCSA exams. Do you take them online instead or something?

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/locations-facilities

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

snackcakes posted:

Goodness no. I didn't know Microsoft does that. That's terrifying. I don't even own a webcam.

It's not that big of a deal. WGU does it for a lot of their exams. You sweep the room with the camera, show them your desk and then put the camera in such a way that some person in India can watch you take the test. NBD.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Welp, I was going to take the SYO-501 today, but the block that the testing center is on suffered an hour-long power outage that caused them to cancel all their tests today. The power was back on by the time my test was scheduled, but policy apparently dictates they shut down testing for the rest of the day.

Anyway, it was rescheduled for Friday so now I have a few extra days to study. Has anyone here taken the 501 yet? Any tips in general?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Space Racist posted:

Welp, I was going to take the SYO-501 today, but the block that the testing center is on suffered an hour-long power outage that caused them to cancel all their tests today. The power was back on by the time my test was scheduled, but policy apparently dictates they shut down testing for the rest of the day.

Anyway, it was rescheduled for Friday so now I have a few extra days to study. Has anyone here taken the 501 yet? Any tips in general?

Taking the 401 Friday, so also generally interested (as well as what to prepare for difference-wise should that become necessary.)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

sniper4625 posted:

Taking the 401 Friday, so also generally interested (as well as what to prepare for difference-wise should that become necessary.)

This is probably specific to the 501, but lots of people on Reddit mentioned having questions about a Poodle attack (downgrade from TLS to SSL).

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

booked my GCIH exam for september :peanut:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Booked my first attempt at OSCP for Sunday the 22nd. I just want an encouraging showing.

32 boxes down in the labs and 1 of the 4 “hard” ones. I’m going to work on the other hard ones the next couple weeks and tighten up and my methodology and see what happens. It’s all a learning process. If I fail it’s extension time.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bob Morales posted:

There are no Redhat testing locations in my state for RHCE/RHCSA exams. Do you take them online instead or something?

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/locations-facilities

Sounds like a boring state; haven’t you ever wanted to visit a different one and combine tourism with test-taking?

As far as I know, Redhat doesn’t have at-home exams, just scheduled exams and kiosk exams, both at training centers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

This is probably specific to the 501, but lots of people on Reddit mentioned having questions about a Poodle attack (downgrade from TLS to SSL).

Wait, something that is only a couple of years old? On a CompTIA test?

Excuse me while I update all my chalk marks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Getting a book to start working for the RHCSA: Jang, van Vugt, or Ghori?

I've heard that the van Vugt is really good but I've also heard the other two are equally good so I have no basis on which to make a decision.

Highlander rules.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Schadenboner posted:

Getting a book to start working for the RHCSA: Jang, van Vugt, or Ghori?

I've heard that the van Vugt is really good but I've also heard the other two are equally good so I have no basis on which to make a decision.

Highlander rules.

Used van Vugt myself, can recommend. The thread recommends Jang highly as well iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LochNessMonster posted:

Used van Vugt myself, can recommend. The thread recommends Jang highly as well iirc.

The apparent lack of an errata page for Jang makes me real :ohdear: to be honest.