Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Willsun posted:

I think you guys are reaching for the whole Squirtle Squad deal.

yeah I agree. anyone thinking "it's basically confirmed" is projecting incredibly hard. because no, it's not. could it happen, yes, based on Niantic's track record is it reasonable to expect it based on one ambigious tweet, hell no. At least wait to see if they follow up with more.

now if they do - if - then when is my party hat wurmple community day, niantic???

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Psion posted:

yeah I agree. anyone thinking "it's basically confirmed" is projecting incredibly hard. because no, it's not. could it happen, yes, based on Niantic's track record is it reasonable to expect it based on one ambigious tweet, hell no. At least wait to see if they follow up with more.

now if they do - if - then when is my party hat wurmple community day, niantic???

Yeah, it's just meant to be a cute reference to the show mixed into their PSA about summer sun. Like it'd be cute if it happens, and isn't out of the question, but it's not anything resembling a confirmation.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Psion posted:

I love Party Hat Wurmple so much and Skellybones REFUSES to draw me art of him

Also, in the time it takes to get my phone to connect to my Go+ I could have finished my loving run (well, not quite, but it takes too long anyway)

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Also Squirtle Squad sunglasses are meant just for Squirtle and that episode's reference, yet community day usually promotes evolving all the way to get an exclusive move so you're just going to end up with a lot of sunglasses Blastoise.

"Trainers! Here is the cool exclusive move if you evolve to Blastoise. Sucks if you wanted to keep it as Squirtle."

I'm not arguing that sunglasses Blastoise wouldn't be cool but what's the point if most people on the Squirtle Squad camp wanted it mostly for Squirtle but community day usually promotes that evolve-for-exclusive-move deal? I know the people wishing hard for sunglasses wouldn't care about evolving but then the rest of the players will be like, "Ooookay...sunglasses? Where's the shiny color?"

Willsun fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 30, 2018

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Willsun posted:

It's the same with people that have scanners where, ever since a new apk for the game came out in March, no one has fully cracked it yet

Ahh yes I remember reading things like that when PGNexus would go down and come back when I was playing this regularly. Thanks for the info, and here's hoping it returns soon.

Willsun posted:

yet community day usually promotes evolving all the way to get an exclusive move

More info I didn't know, thanks. I apparently quit before community days with exclusive moves started being a thing. How often do they happen? How many Pokemon does each one tend to affect? Are the exclusive moves top-rate? I noticed a ranking website that said Venusaurs with Frenzy Plant were possible at some point and dunk on my poor Solar Beam special boy - were those a community day I missed, for example?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

SuperKlaus posted:

More info I didn't know, thanks. I apparently quit before community days with exclusive moves started being a thing. How often do they happen? How many Pokemon does each one tend to affect? Are the exclusive moves top-rate? I noticed a ranking website that said Venusaurs with Frenzy Plant were possible at some point and dunk on my poor Solar Beam special boy - were those a community day I missed, for example?

Community days started in January and are monthly. Although the game encourages you to visit parks, the featured Pokemon's spawn rate is increased massively no matter where you go. There's a bonus to some gameplay aspect (increased stardust, increased XP, lowered egg hatch distance, etc), an exclusive move only available during the 3 hour window, an increased shiny rate for the featured pokemon. Here's what has been featured so far and the exclusive move:

January: Pikachu (Surf for Pikachu). Raichu would not have Surf if you evolved it.
February: Dratini (Draco Meteor for Dragonite)
March: Bulbasaur (Frenzy Plant for Venusaur)
April: Mareep (Dragon Pulse for Ampharos)
May: Charmander (Blast Burn for Charizard)
June: Larvitar (Smack Down for Tyranitar)
July: Squirtle (Hydro Cannon for Blastoise)

Not every move is top shelf though. Dragon Pulse is a bad move for Ampharos, for example.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

SuperKlaus posted:

I apparently quit before community days with exclusive moves started being a thing. How often do they happen? How many Pokemon does each one tend to affect? Are the exclusive moves top-rate? I noticed a ranking website that said Venusaurs with Frenzy Plant were possible at some point and dunk on my poor Solar Beam special boy - were those a community day I missed, for example?

Yes, unfortunately you missed out on Frenzy Plant because it was a community day exclusive and you have to evolve one during that 3-hour window. Everything the guy above said is right, and community day usually happens mid month-ish. This month's is kinda earlier than I expected but I don't mind. They also alternate between Saturday and Sunday, but they're always 11am-2pm at whatever time zone you're in.

I'm also guessing they advertise you to visit parks because it's like the one safe public place they can encourage you to visit (and that's outdoors) without running into legal trouble, even though the spawns do just kinda happen everywhere.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i found a wild shiny charmander, how rare is that

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

oddium posted:

i found a wild shiny charmander, how rare is that

1/400 or so

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sick, i just found a shiny roselia too

e: good day for oddiums everywhere

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Willsun posted:

They're always 11am-2pm at whatever time zone you're in.

10am-1pm in the UK. Not sure if that’s due to British Summer Time (I only got back into PoGo within the last couple of months) or Europe-wide.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Willsun posted:

but they're always 11am-2pm at whatever time zone you're in.

It's simultaneous but divided by region. In the continental US it's 11am-2pm in the Pacific time zone, 12pm-3pm in the Mountain time zone, 1pm-4pm in the Central time zone, and 2pm-5pm in the Eastern time zone.

(unrelated)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pomplamoose posted:

It's simultaneous but divided by region. In the continental US it's 11am-2pm in the Pacific time zone, 12pm-3pm in the Mountain time zone, 1pm-4pm in the Central time zone, and 2pm-5pm in the Eastern time zone.

(unrelated)

Unless they add the other Alolan, I have come to dislike 7km eggs. I have so so so many Sandshrew and Meowth already...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah the hatch rates on the 7k eggs are terrible

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Is there any way to tell how many encounters from research you have saved up?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is there any way to track our continental progress towards the big goal?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
WelI I was heading home from looking for shiny Rosalia and someone on the discord had found a 100 IV. I think I won the event because it came up shiny for me.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I got my first shiny today! But you know what they say, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing, so I ran into another a couple of minutes later :v:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
drat, I hope I get that lucky later today.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I found two shinies yesterday. Many reports of them these days, perhaps they upped the rate for the Safari zone event?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
They've definitely upped the rates, I caught two shiny larvitar, an aerodactyl and a magikarp today. I should note I'm actually in Dortmund though.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Shiny rates for everything is higher in Dortmund. Shiny rate for Roselia is probably a similar level as community day for everyone else.

Regarding Squirtle, it's as good a confirmation as you're going to get. As incompetent as Niantic is, they would still never make such a suggestive comment just to disappoint everyone in a week. I mean, sunglasses on the ground in front of the Squirtle in the image... come on.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm getting real tired of ex passes being in the middle of the day on weekdays. I thought 1pm was a bad time, 1130 is even worse.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

TheEye posted:

Shiny rates for everything is higher in Dortmund. Shiny rate for Roselia is probably a similar level as community day for everyone else.

Regarding Squirtle, it's as good a confirmation as you're going to get. As incompetent as Niantic is, they would still never make such a suggestive comment just to disappoint everyone in a week. I mean, sunglasses on the ground in front of the Squirtle in the image... come on.

have you not played this game and seen Niantic make suggestive comments and then disappoint people for two years running

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Have they had an EX raid in Times Square yet?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've wound up having four field research tasks instead of three in my log, and seem to be able to get new ones when I complete the old. Is this a known thing? I like this bug, if that's what it is.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

aniviron posted:

I've wound up having four field research tasks instead of three in my log, and seem to be able to get new ones when I complete the old. Is this a known thing? I like this bug, if that's what it is.

If you complete a task that rewards a pokemon encounter, but then run away from the pokemon, it'll stay at the top of the list waiting for you to hit it. It doesn't count towards the limit when it's like this, as you've already completed the task.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

oddium posted:

sick, i just found a shiny roselia too

e: good day for oddiums everywhere

I'm so jealous of that shiny Roselia, haha. I'm not sure whether to keep bulking up my Roselia or to hoard candies for when Roserade is in.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Wait... you could find them more often today? poo poo. It was too hot for me to walk in the middle of the day today. I guess I'll try tomorrow, will the upped shiny Roselia chance still be around then?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Greetings from Hidden Male Statue! A very strange stop name

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I guess I'll use my last incense to see if I can lure some Roselia out... if not I'll go walking in the dark.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i ended up finding two more shiny roselia today. remember tap any you see because their overworld models won’t be shiny

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I guess I'll be hunting tomorrow, then. I'm glad I got reminded.

Roselia might not be very strong if it can't evolve but I'm still really fond of it, you know?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you’re fond of it because it’s insanely cute and good op

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The Roselia horde should be available tomorrow too, it's coinciding with the safari zone event in Dortmund, Germany. I caught two shinies today but it took quite a bit of searching to find the first one. Fortunately there's huge crowds of them everywhere in my area.

Also Roselia does evolve in gen 4. Since it gains a baby form too it will probably take 100 candies to evolve to Roserade.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 1, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah I saw two more Roselia, neither of them shiny, but I'll try more tomorrow. I also deposited a Roselia at my local gym because I figure hopefully nobody will do much until the morning and I can snag many coins. What are the odds of getting a shiny Roselia rn?

EDIT: I'm probably gonna be cheap and go to my local pokestop that's indoors tomorrow to wait for more to spawn, haha. No getting eaten by bugs for me.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The Roselia horde should be available tomorrow too, it's coinciding with the safari zone event in Dortmund, Germany. I caught two shinies today but it took quite a bit of searching to find the first one. Fortunately there's huge crowds of them everywhere in my area.

Also Roselia does evolve in gen 4. Since it gains a baby form too it will probably take 100 candies to evolve to Roserade.
Yeah, I love Roserade. And there's no way Niantic won't add the rest of the family eventually when they're adding gen 4. It's just a matter of waiting.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 1, 2018

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I walked around today from 9pm to 1030pm because it was only 88F then and caught 3 more shiny Roselia, they're very pretty, and they're all excited to evolve.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Geez, sounds like I'd have to be very unlucky to avoid finding one tomorrow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hit Level 40 today, and yet I don't think I am ready to quit... :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Two(2) shiny Roselia for me, zero(0) for my wife. At least I can give her one once we're best friends. I liked Roserade's power in Gen IV, but I've never been fond of the white poofy hair. We'll have to see.

Someone put a Cleffa in a gym and it was hard to beat it to death repeatedly.

Also, we can't get the car trick to work. We're on Android phones, and here are the steps we're following:

1. Stopped, we make sure we can see Pokémon in the nearby.

2. We minimize the Go app, and make note of the time.

3. We drive less then a kilometer, stop, and wait until 8-10 minutes have elapsed.

4. We un-minimize the app, the app updates our location and....

We've added no distance whatsoever.

Is there anything obvious we're doing wrong?

Thanks!

• Locked thread