Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The last time I saw one was in Korra four years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It’s friends, they always have a super self indulgent clip show episode every season

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

Clip shows are still a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkmV9mnUTC4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

It’s friends, they always have a super self indulgent clip show episode every season

Probably an easy way to save ~$8 million every year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OK I STARTED WATCHING COBRA KAI

Finished GLOW s2 and was looking for something.....not exactly like GLOW, but sorta GLOW-adjacent? Comedy-drama about a kinda silly thing. First episode was fun, gotta admit, I think people were right about this one

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I have no idea how to explain Joe Pera Talks to You to someone and I'm not even sure why it works. I've seen people compare it to like The Joy of Painting or other comforting shows, so I guess it's like if Bob Ross was a comedy program. It's funny though, and Pera's act is really endearing. Like he's utterly guileless but he's not a pushover or a rube. He seems to know what he's about.

Joe Pera might be my favorite show of the year so far, it's really comfy and wholesome in ways that comedy usually isn't anymore but not in a way that feels too cloying. It feels like King of the Hill starring Bob Ross, and I think it goes in some really emotional and genuinely thoughtful places.

Anyone who hasn't seen the show should check out the season finale, probably my favorite episode of television so far this year: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/joe-pera-talks-with-you/joe-pera-answers-your-questions-about-cold-weather-sports/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really want to watch Pera but there isn’t a rip with subtitles yet. Soon as there is I’ll jump right on it, it sounds great.

Speaking of shows with no subbed rips for forever I finally got round to watching Detroiters and it’s overall on an episode-to-episode basis not as good as I had been led to believe but it has some of the funniest lines and scenes I’ve heard in a long time.

“You two finished jerking each other off?”
“Do you see JIZZ everywhere, Lea?”
“Yeah Lea, if we were jerking each other off, there’d be jizz everywhere.”

Oh also I’m halfway through Cobra Kai and it loving rocks, like what the hell? I don’t understand! But it’s great.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I absolutely loved S2 of GLOW; Bash’s subplot made me really :smith: though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

I absolutely loved S2 of GLOW; Bash’s subplot made me really :smith: though.

Me too, and he surprisingly became one of my favorite characters. Still not sure how I feel about all the sudden sexual tension between Ruth and Sam, it felt really forced.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching Claws. I liked the premise, it's got a great cast, but so far it's not good.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

The last time I saw one was in Korra four years ago.

And the only reason Korra had one was because Nickelodeon cut the budget short but they still wanted to put out 13 episodes.

Usually when that kind of thing happens with a live action show these days they just do a bottle episode instead or limit the number of series regulars in an episode to make up for the lost money. At least one show you’ve watched has probably done something like that and you haven’t even noticed, and sometimes shows do stuff like that just see if they can get away with it (“The Fly” from Breaking Bad is probably the most notable example of that).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That just makes me remember one of my favorite episodes of Community, the first fake clip show episode, which ended up actually being one of the most expensive and difficult episodes of that season production-wise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's kind of like how Garth Marenghi's Darkplace was only one season because making something look that lovely was surprisingly expensive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stargate SG-1 did a clip show composed entirely of brand new clips and it was loving glorious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which episode was that? The one clip show I remember is when the SG team is on trial and it was definitely a regular clip show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Which episode was that? The one clip show I remember is when the SG team is on trial and it was definitely a regular clip show.

https://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s10/200/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Me too, and he surprisingly became one of my favorite characters. Still not sure how I feel about all the sudden sexual tension between Ruth and Sam, it felt really forced.

This is the main issue I have with the season for sure. It doesn’t feel earned at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

This is the main issue I have with the season for sure. It doesn’t feel earned at all.

See, I got the vibe already from last year so it fit well for me, personally.

e: tho they def could have done more to build that subplot up in particular

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh hey, Mostly 4 Millennials is finally starting. The reason you should be interested is that it is the new thing from Derrick Beckles and Eric Andre.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stargate handled the clip shows well because they usually made them ones where it was like "the Congressional Appropriations Committee evaluates if its worth it to keep sending the US Military to other planets" or "the new President has to be briefed on all the times aliens have invaded Earth." And I found that nerdy world building stuff weirdly fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

Oh hey, Mostly 4 Millennials is finally starting. The reason you should be interested is that it is the new thing from Derrick Beckles and Eric Andre.

Am I right in thinking there was a pilot aired for this a few years back? Or something similar with a different name. Not the Beckles show that used to be on. Either way - excited!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Stargate SG-1 did a clip show composed entirely of brand new clips and it was loving glorious.

Mike Tyson Mysteries did a "clip show" recently which explained all of the intro scenes to the show. It was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcWKRa5AYE

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Community did several of those, with flashbacks to crazy storylines that never actually happened on the show.

Like, this montage of Jeff's inspiring speeches is all new material: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ou1RG38Pc.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bull3964 posted:

Surprising no one, Ghosted is cancelled. I rather enjoyed it, but oh well.

It grew on me and surprisingly early too. RIP show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Schwimmer clearly understands that Ross can be a piece of poo poo. He gets so legitimately angry in situations where you could see another actor making his temper just a flat out joke instead of a dude legit snapping at people, then turning to nail the punchline at the end.

e: whoops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H6Ux3l75Rc

Escobarbarian posted:

Clip shows are still a thing?

Never been invited to a bris?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 1, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amanda LaRusso best TV character 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Escobarbarian posted:

Amanda LaRusso best TV character 2018

Best TV mom since Tami Taylor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Condiment-drinking son is the breakout character of 2018.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Started watching Penny Dreadful on Friday and already finished the first season. It's great, even though I'm having a hard time understanding character motivations at times. Really makes me wish Timothy Dalton had a more prolific film/tv career.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Character motivations for the cast of Penny Dreadful are basically just looking for more scenery to chew.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Character motivations for the cast of Penny Dreadful are basically just looking for more scenery to chew.

Yeah it's performance art. Just enough that it makes some sense but enough crazy that it's best to just sit back, relax, enjoy it and tell yourself "This isn't League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

p much

Though I'd say the characters are more driven after S1. S1 is kind of a weird mess of 'wait wtf is going on? lookin for some draculas i guess??' but they establish everything a bit better from then on, or at least re-establish what they were trying to establish in S1.

But yeah the main character motivator is typically 'how much scenery can we chew?' and 'how many Emmys can Eva Green be robbed of nominations for?'

(the answer is 3)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I should also say that I could understand maybe 10% of Billie Piper's dialogue in that entire season. I'm hoping now that she is about to become the bride of Frankenstein ('s monster) maybe that will change...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao I almost forgot about Billie Piper's ridiculous accent

Man, been seeing PD get mentioned a lot lately (half of that is prob myself tbf) and I think it may be time for a rewatch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really like how Penny Dreadful adapted Dr. Jekyll (and at the end, Lord Hyde) in season 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

I really like how Penny Dreadful adapted Dr. Jekyll (and at the end, Lord Hyde) in season 3.

Welp now I gotta watch season 3.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

lmfao I almost forgot about Billie Piper's ridiculous accent

The character's supposed to be from Belfast; Piper figured out the accent with the help of her friend, Nadine Coyle of Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She didn't pick anything up from Tennant I guess.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rhyno posted:

She didn't pick anything up from Tennant I guess.

Not sure how helpful this would be considering Tennant is from Scotland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tennant is a real actor