Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

are there any leather earpads for the hd 6xx/650 that are actually worth buying? not loving the foam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

landgrabber posted:

are there any leather earpads for the hd 6xx/650 that are actually worth buying? not loving the foam

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd-6xx?utm_source=linkshare&referer=JT253N

I have something similar to these for my m50s and dt770s. They're excellent.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm looking for a decent pair of closed over-the-ear headphones for an office enviornment. I am a programmer and its totally cool if I use over the ears. I need something that is just powered by a standard headphone jack (macbook) no amp/dac nonsense really. I was wondering if there was a bog standard price/performance recommendation for something that can help me drown out my surrounding noisy enviornment while delivering some decent quality. I use in ears right now and they work well but over-the-ears act as a really good "don't talk to me" deterrent.

I'm not super opposed to bluetooth too but in the past I've had bad bluetooth experiences (garbage quality, no range etc)

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I use in ears right now and they work well but over-the-ears act as a really good "don't talk to me" deterrent.

Hi fellow programmer. Just want to say if people see wires coming out of your head and aren't deterred, over-the-ear headphones probably won't change things. Don't rule out IEMs.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550s for flights (closed, over-the-ear cans) that may work. They're probably pricier than you need. They can do audio over a cable as well as Bluetooth. They use active noise cancellation, which isn't really suited to an office environment, but have a neat audio pass through feature where you can double tap the right side and hear people talking to you without taking them off.

Cons: Price, Bluetooth, ANC

Overall, you're probably better off with a pair of dumb headphones with good isolation. Cheaper and better audio quality.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

I'm looking for a decent pair of closed over-the-ear headphones for an office enviornment. I am a programmer and its totally cool if I use over the ears. I need something that is just powered by a standard headphone jack (macbook) no amp/dac nonsense really. I was wondering if there was a bog standard price/performance recommendation for something that can help me drown out my surrounding noisy enviornment while delivering some decent quality. I use in ears right now and they work well but over-the-ears act as a really good "don't talk to me" deterrent.

I'm not super opposed to bluetooth too but in the past I've had bad bluetooth experiences (garbage quality, no range etc)

What's your budget? There's a lot of people with Audio Technica M40x or M50x in my office. They're good at drowning out sound. I would also recommend Beyerdynamic DT770s 32 ohm. I have the DT770s at work and they're good for drowning out everything around me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tried to switch to over-ears at my old job but I found they didn't drown the sound out as much as IEMs unless I cranked the volume. Have you considered brightly coloured IEMs?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I need work earbuds. Every pair I get eventually shorts somewhere in the wire so I keep paying the moron tax of buying them cheaper and cheaper. It's annoying enough that I might go wireless. My job involves a lot of stooping and lifting and I'm worried that they're going to pop right out and into a puddle, or that I'll mess up the battery by recharging it every day only to go into a freezer the next morning. What does the working man need to know about wireless earbuds?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

mariooncrack posted:

What's your budget? There's a lot of people with Audio Technica M40x or M50x in my office. They're good at drowning out sound. I would also recommend Beyerdynamic DT770s 32 ohm. I have the DT770s at work and they're good for drowning out everything around me.

My budget is no more than 200 bucks. And I know it's not as good as IEMs but I just prefer over way l ear cans. I'll check out these suggestions thanks. Those noise cancelling headphones mentioned above sounds like Overkill and I also hate ANC

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee is in stock right now for $150. Used ones sell for significantly more on eBay so even if you hate em you could sell. They seem to have the same drivers as the HD660S? Either way I ordered a pair. I've never owned anything in the 600 series.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

How important is the "schiit DACs are garbage" thing for regular use. I am thinking of selling my original magni/modi stack to swap up to a Jotunheim. It fills my criteria of balanced headphone out, balanced pre-out (planning on getting some HS8s or similar), and sexy apparence and I'd like to get it with the inbuilt DAC for convenience. I was thinking worst case I get a scarlet 2i2 (shame it has no optical), use that as a DAC, and then I can swap out my mic for an XLR one and avoid the weird USB bugs I get. Plus it looks nice. I'd get a DX7s but the 10Ω output impedance would gently caress over almost all my cans because that is super high.

ddogflex posted:

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee is in stock right now for $150. Used ones sell for significantly more on eBay so even if you hate em you could sell. They seem to have the same drivers as the HD660S? Either way I ordered a pair. I've never owned anything in the 600 series.

I'm sad I missed this, it seemed to end right as I decided to jump on it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

BurritoJustice posted:

How important is the "schiit DACs are garbage" thing for regular use. I am thinking of selling my original magni/modi stack to swap up to a Jotunheim. It fills my criteria of balanced headphone out, balanced pre-out (planning on getting some HS8s or similar), and sexy apparence and I'd like to get it with the inbuilt DAC for convenience. I was thinking worst case I get a scarlet 2i2 (shame it has no optical), use that as a DAC, and then I can swap out my mic for an XLR one and avoid the weird USB bugs I get. Plus it looks nice. I'd get a DX7s but the 10Ω output impedance would gently caress over almost all my cans because that is super high.

I'm sad I missed this, it seemed to end right as I decided to jump on it.

I have a Jotunheim with the dac and it works wonderfully. I've had it for about 2 years now, no problems with it yet. Detail is nice compared to say the internal ASUS cards. I think I still prefer my OPPO HA-2, but that's a portable, and they don't make it anymore.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BurritoJustice posted:

How important is the "schiit DACs are garbage" thing for regular use.

It's not because they work just fine.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BurritoJustice posted:

How important is the "schiit DACs are garbage" thing for regular use.

It’s not that they’re poo poo for regular use, they’re fine for regular use. They’re just expensive for regular use.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen it repeated all over reddit and a few time in this thread( thnk Paul threw some schiit shade), usuallyng from some technical analysis of the schiit DACs that found that very inaccurate technically. The word schiit seems like voodoo on r/headphones.

I love me some schiit but it's definitely a thing I've been reading. I'm just gonna forget that though because I'll never notice even if the dac does some things wrong and it's nice to have one unit.

The real question is which XLR powered bookshelf speakers I get, and how drat quick I can get myself a HD58X or HD6XX. What other balanced cans are there so that I may use the totally pointless balanced output with for nerdy reason?

Also what do you guys think is a fair price to ask my mate for my Modi1/Magni1, considering the newer versions are like $200 dollaridoos here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

landgrabber posted:

Can confirm. I've been using dekoni perforated sheepskin on my HD600s and they're great.

Also those people ordering the Massdrop be aware the HD58X has completely different tuning from the classic 580 jubilees. Haven't heard them yet myself but they appear to be Sennheiser's new sub bass extended open backs using the 660S drivers.

For whatever Massdrop is charging they're probably a steal.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 1, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

I've seen it repeated all over reddit and a few time in this thread( thnk Paul threw some schiit shade), usuallyng from some technical analysis of the schiit DACs that found that very inaccurate technically. The word schiit seems like voodoo on r/headphones.

I love me some schiit but it's definitely a thing I've been reading. I'm just gonna forget that though because I'll never notice even if the dac does some things wrong and it's nice to have one unit.

The real question is which XLR powered bookshelf speakers I get, and how drat quick I can get myself a HD58X or HD6XX. What other balanced cans are there so that I may use the totally pointless balanced output with for nerdy reason?

Also what do you guys think is a fair price to ask my mate for my Modi1/Magni1, considering the newer versions are like $200 dollaridoos here.

From what I've read it's the multibit DACs that are (possibly?) the snake oil. Maybe they do something positive but digital is digital to me. It either works and is accurate or it doesn't and it isn't.

I'm sure the amps themselves are fine but if you can't figure out why you should buy X apart from marketing talk then you probably don't need it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
looks like Philips quit making the SHP9500. What's the go-to relatively inexpensive choice to use with the BoomPro now?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

emdash posted:

looks like Philips quit making the SHP9500. What's the go-to relatively inexpensive choice to use with the BoomPro now?

Well a HyperX Cloud II is basically a Takstar Pro 80 in a XxXGamerXxX shell and it even comes with its own mic. No idea if that's what you want from your headphones though.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

emdash posted:

Also interested in this. Seems like most of the headphone options <$100 either don't have detachable cords or otherwise won't work with the BoomPro without some half-assery or modification. Something over-ear and open back would be cool.

Picked up a Steelseries Arctis 3 and the sound isn't very good, even compared to my old Logitech headset.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

emotive posted:

Also interested in this. Seems like most of the headphone options <$100 either don't have detachable cords or otherwise won't work with the BoomPro without some half-assery or modification. Something over-ear and open back would be cool.

Picked up a Steelseries Arctis 3 and the sound isn't very good, even compared to my old Logitech headset.

seems like Status CB-1 might be a go-to if you don't mind closed. $60 on amazon right now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

emdash posted:

seems like Status CB-1 might be a go-to if you don't mind closed. $60 on amazon right now

I was just going to suggest this. They are pretty amazing for the price.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I run a pair of CB-1s off a V20 as my portable setup. No amps, no mess. There's enough soundstage, bass, and overall detail to feel like I'm getting what's there when I'm on the go.

My desktop headphones cost literally 10x as much, but that's pretty good imo.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 3, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

emotive posted:

Not open back but I think the M40x has a detachable cord. Looks like you'll need an adapter for it though. Here's a reddit thread about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8slyn7/is_there_any_way_to_use_a_boom_pro_with_the_ath/

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them all out -- I found a lead on a used set of Philips SHP9500's, so I might pick those up instead if all goes well.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I've been using a pair of great Senneheiser earbuds for like 10 years now but it's finally time to replace them since the right bud has gone dead. They're super durable despite me being a clumsy dipshit and have pretty good sound. I've been doing research but I'm just straight up overwhelmed with choices and I have no idea what to get. I'm not looking to spend over $100, these would mostly be for on the go stuff like my Switch, 3DS, and phone. I won't be plugging them into much else. I listen to a lot of different kind of music at home but largely speaking I only play games with my earbuds, so as long as they can handle that kind of range I'm okay with them. The only thing I'm sure I don't want are wireless earbuds, as I'm 100% positive I would lose or break them. Or those weird over the ear things, they're too much of a pain to carry around places.

If I haven't give enough information just yell at me and I'll fix it. Please god save me from the hell of making my own adult decisions.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Did someone say earbuds?

VE Monk Plus is all you need.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Constellation I posted:

Did someone say earbuds?

Is $10 for earbuds really going to be good enough on quality? I mean, I guess for $10 it can't hurt to try em, but...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Poultron posted:

Is $10 for earbuds really going to be good enough on quality? I mean, I guess for $10 it can't hurt to try em, but...

The VE Monks are very, very good earbuds.

Also, there really aren't many choices for good earbuds these days. drat you Bank of Japan and your Window Guidance! :argh:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Constellation I posted:

Did someone say earbuds?

What's the current IEM equivalent of this? I remember getting Pistons back when they were a thing and they were loving lit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the current IEM equivalent of this? I remember getting Pistons back when they were a thing and they were loving lit.

KZ ZST

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poultron posted:

If you want cheap and cheerful these are good https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/earphones/products/delta-black-with-mic-remote

Not saying they're the best in the sub $30 price range but at least I've used them before so I can say they're fun to listen to.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Unloading my HD650's, priced to move

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862658

This is a steal for anybody who's been wanting a set of good headphones.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I got my HD6XX last week but didn't really get a chance to sit down, set things up and try them until now. First impressions are that they sound pretty "natural," although maybe still slightly inarticulate with certain things like voices/speech but not too bad. I'm not sure yet if the bass is really too loud in comparison to the rest of the spectrum, but they sound pretty good and balanced with maybe a bit of added bass kick/thump from just listening to some random stuff for around an hour. They currently sound like they might be a bit muffled, veiled, whatever when listening to some instrumental stuff like jazz and classical, but I'll have to listen some more and maybe compare some of my other headphones to see if maybe that's just how those recordings sound.

I tried plugging them into the headphone out on my cheap PC speakers just to see if they'd work but they basically needed to be plugged into my Magni to get decent volume. I haven't tried them directly into my phone (Axon 7) yet but I'm guessing it won't do much better than the speaker headphone out. Also, the head clamp is pretty damned strong out of the box. It sounds like that's supposed to lessen after a week or so of use, but if that doesn't do enough then I can try just bending the metal parts of the headband like people have mentioned.

Anyway, HD6XX sound pretty good so far. It seems like they probably deserve the praise people gave them as far as being fairly neutral and natural. I'll see if I'm still positive about them after using them longer term.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Just got my HD 58X today and I've listened to them at my desk at work from my phone. Holy poo poo these sound good coming from a phone. I'm shocked. I realized the impedance is lower than the 600 series, but drat. After playing with these at home for a while I might leave them at work. It would be nice to have something better than cheap IEMs I can power from my laptop.

Great sound in general though, and dig a lot lower than I expected. Super sub-bass is pretty much nonexistent tho. It can't hit the lowest notes with much impact on "NERD - Lemon", but I'm comparing to TH-X00 which probably isn't exactly fair. I haven't listened to any 6 series in a long time, but these are higher quality sound than I was expecting.

All-in-all great impulse purchase I don't need!

Edit: thru my e10k at home the bass is noticeably stronger, but it still doesn’t go to the insane low hits, it definitely goes low tho. Lower than I remember 650s. Either way I really like these a lot so far. I like that they came with a short 3.5mm cable too. They just have a really pleasing clean open sound.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 10, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ddogflex posted:

Just got my HD 58X today and I've listened to them at my desk at work from my phone. Holy poo poo these sound good coming from a phone. I'm shocked. I realized the impedance is lower than the 600 series, but drat. After playing with these at home for a while I might leave them at work. It would be nice to have something better than cheap IEMs I can power from my laptop.

Great sound in general though, and dig a lot lower than I expected. Super sub-bass is pretty much nonexistent tho. It can't hit the lowest notes with much impact on "NERD - Lemon", but I'm comparing to TH-X00 which probably isn't exactly fair. I haven't listened to any 6 series in a long time, but these are higher quality sound than I was expecting.

All-in-all great impulse purchase I don't need!

Edit: thru my e10k at home the bass is noticeably stronger, but it still doesn’t go to the insane low hits, it definitely goes low tho. Lower than I remember 650s. Either way I really like these a lot so far. I like that they came with a short 3.5mm cable too. They just have a really pleasing clean open sound.

Probably can't get any lower due to the foam pads leaking air. I wonder what the Dekoni sheepskins would do. Either ruin them or make them bass cannons I'm guessing.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hi thread, I need headphones for listening to music at home. Turns out that 75% of the time I have headphones plugged into my amp, and I don't have headphones for this purpose, I only use the ones that I bought for outside use.

Budget - 200€, can be a bit more if necessary
Source - Stereo amp, or PC via Focusrite Scarlett interface
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Um, I don't know? Shouldn't they be as neutral as possible? Is that a dumb idea?
Past Headphones - I have Sennheiser HD449s, I kind of like them but I think they're a bit weak in the mids and have a tendency to be slightly muffled. And they're obviously closed and designed for listening on the go, which is not what I'm looking for.
Preferred Music - Mostly Classical, some Jazz, some Hip Hop

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Hi all, looking for wireless on ear headphones to wear for a few hours a day at work. Wireless is highly preferred as I'd like to be able to get up and move around my office.

Budget - $200 or less on amazon (giftcards), preferably around $100.
Source - Primarily PC/laptop, but maybe my pixel 2 or iPad or something if I'm traveling
Isolation Requirements - I don't think I have a preference?
Preferred Type of Headphone - On ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or Warm
Past Headphones - A bunch of cheap in-ears, an old sennheiser RS120(?) RF headphones that stopped working (also the ear pads made my ears warm)
Preferred Media - metal, podcasts, classic rock, youtube videos

If I can get something comfy that will hold up decently well for cheap I'm willing to sacrifice on sound quality. As an example I'd rather buy a $50 pair that's the same comfort and relative durability as a $150+ pair that sounds slightly better.

On the other hand, if there is a no-brainer pick for what I'm looking at I'm willing to spend a moderate amount on it if it's going to hold up well.

Bonus points for a microphone that I could use for the occasional skype/goto meeting/whatever

To answer my own question, I ended up buying the Sennheiser HD4.40 since I was fairly familiar with sennheiser products previously. It's a $100 bluetooth over-ear headphone (I was asking incorrectly for on-ear - my bad). The construction/fit and finish seems to be good. It sounds fine/good enough for me (I'm not really picky), but the headband doesn't have much cushioning so I don't find it very comfortable for extended wear. The comfort on the ears is good, it's just the head band. Luckily I don't feel the need to "escape" and wear them very often in my new office, but at that point, I probably just should not have bought them at all.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, I know what you mean about those headphones. It's like a hard rubber rod on top of your head. There's headband bands/straps available on Amazon that you can try, but that might make it look ridiculous at work, especially the knitted ones.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

My early impressions of the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X are positive so far.

Listening through a Magni 3 and comparing to my HD 6XX and Fidelio X1 headphones, they seem to retain just about everything I liked about the 6XX while bringing back some of the bass that I missed when I switched from the X1s to the 6XX.

I strongly dislike any headphones with bright/harsh treble which is what made me a big fan of the 6XX's sound. I found that I could listen to pretty much anything with them and they would 'smooth' out any harshness in the original recordings. The treble might be a little more prominent on the 58X but I don't notice any harshness or graininess to them (as opposed to X2 / DT 1990 / Amiron headphones that I tried and returned due to treble issues).

I don't think I would use them much for "home portable" use but it does seem feasible to plug the 58X into a handheld game console, phone, or tablet and still get decent sound out of them.

From what I have read of other people's reviews the 58X might not benefit from/scale with good amps as much as the 6XX but I don't think I am ever going to be more than a Magni / onboard audio guy so the 58X might actually be the better fit for me as someone looking for a more "fun" set of headphones for music/gaming that are relatively easy to drive and not overly revealing to the point that they make non-perfectly mastered music hard to listen to.

They are so similar that I don't really want to keep both the 6XX and 58X but I'm currently having a hard time deciding which one to pick, which seems like a good testament to a $150 pair of headphones.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Y'all got a preferred place to buy mmcx cables? I'm not inclined to spend $30 on a Shure one if they're not going to last years like the original one.