Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I tend to pull for anyone who came up on dirt, and it's hard to think of a reason to root for anyone besides something like that unless you have a weird affinity for someone's sponsor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

WindyMan posted:

NASCAR needs to give its regional series a lot more prominence and coverage, so that more known drivers come in at the bottom. Make triple-header weekends exclusively for K&N and Trucks and Xfinity, or do more K&N/Cup weekends like at Sonoma. Make the fans and television viewers and streaming audiences get to know these kids so there's at least name recognition if and when they make it to Trucks.

I had a big ol' rant in the Discord about what it would take for me, A Racing Enthusiast in Los Angeles, to make it out for a Cup race in Fontana. These days it needs to be the same reason why I'd go to Irwindale or Ventura or Long Beach for the GP: Give me lots and lots of racing to watch. One Cup race isn't going to cut it anymore; I'd like to see Xfinity run same day and maybe throw in a few SST races while you're at it. But even then I'd prefer to go to Irwindale first.

This is one area where Loudon does well. Their one Cup weekend this year also has K&N East, 2 Modified races, and Xfinity. The downside is NHMS usually produces dogshit races (aside from the mods, which are awesome there).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sportsgenius86 posted:

What reason, other than complete randomness or "I liked the guy who used to drive that car" would any fan have to give a poo poo about any of the young drivers now.

-Ryan Blaney seems fun and also I wanted Dave Blaney to run well in Cup as a kid and he didn't.
-Kyle Larson strikes me as capable of being very competitive in any type of car, a rare breed of driver like both Gordons, Smoke, Kurt Busch (who have demonstrated it), and you could probably make an argument for Kyle Busch and Jimmiebot being in this category, too. I tend to be amazed at drivers with that type of talent and it's part of why I can't completely hate Kyle Busch.

Frond posted:

My memeory might fail me but didn't (Jeff) Burton, Labonte, and Ernie Irvan win on occasion?

I'm making this a placeholder post to remember to look the specific winners up tomorrow when I have two monitors, but yes.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Irvan probably would've won the title in '94 if the wreck at Michigan didn't happen.

Jimmy Spencer winning 2 races when McDonald's was about to pull sponsorship out of nowhere was a thing, too.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 26, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Andy Houston/Cal Wells having McDonald’s sponsorship in 2001 was pretty funny. They were basically paying to run at the back or DNQ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

NASCAR's issues with promoting young drivers isn't just with Cup drivers hogging the spotlight in Trucks and Xfinity. There's also the deeper problem about local tracks and regional series not getting the same kind of attendance or attention that they might have used to.

Indycar is killing it with the MRTI and having the junior series race with the big boys, since it basically forces fans to see and know the good drivers coming up. By the time they get to Indycar they'll have a base level of marketability, more than someone just appearing out of thin air.

That's what happens when fresh new talent makes it way up to Trucks. Like, who the hell are these kids getting a ride and why should I care about them? It's incredible, but not at all surprising, that someone like Brett Moffitt can't find enough sponsorship to pursue a championship in Trucks that he's clearly capable of competing for and getting the exposure that comes with that. How many people even knew about him before he got to Trucks? Because sponsors clearly don't.

NASCAR needs to give its regional series a lot more prominence and coverage, so that more known drivers come in at the bottom. Make triple-header weekends exclusively for K&N and Trucks and Xfinity, or do more K&N/Cup weekends like at Sonoma. Make the fans and television viewers and streaming audiences get to know these kids so there's at least name recognition if and when they make it to Trucks.

I had a big ol' rant in the Discord about what it would take for me, A Racing Enthusiast in Los Angeles, to make it out for a Cup race in Fontana. These days it needs to be the same reason why I'd go to Irwindale or Ventura or Long Beach for the GP: Give me lots and lots of racing to watch. One Cup race isn't going to cut it anymore; I'd like to see Xfinity run same day and maybe throw in a few SST races while you're at it. But even then I'd prefer to go to Irwindale first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3kkXKkvyA

Yesterday, I watched this race of the K&N West series running at Irwindale last year. As I was watching it, I realized three things:

1) That this is good racing and it was much more likely that I would go to Irwindale for this event next year;
2) Todd Gilliland (the race winner here) is someone who races in Trucks, and I immediately felt a better connection to him as someone who raced at one of my local tracks;
3) Goddamn the NAPA colors look loving good on a race car don't they?

NASCAR needs to get #1 back somehow, but if they don't get #2 happening with more drivers and more series, NASCAR is even more hosed than any of us can imagine.

And herein lies the problem. I have no problem with Kyle Busch Motorsports existing. I have a problem that he races for them in Xfinity and Trucks for extra track time. The only reason I knew of the past two Xfinity champions is 1. Suarez was the first foreign born person to win, and 2. Byron was shoved down everyone's throats.

At Indy, I'm already predicting two, if not three of the Lights drivers are going to move up. A small field is putting on fantastic races, and people are realizing that. USF2000 has 26 cars this year, and that'll eventually filter up with time. I know the name of one of the Pro Mazda drivers and others are familiar to me if you mentioned them. I know NONE of the Trucks and Xfinity drivers except maybe JH Nemechek and Cindric, SRA excluded because duh.

Also, here's another thing:

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a million things wrong with NASCAR but the biggest problem IMO is that nobody has actual personality anymore because you can't do anything but suck NASCAR's dick without getting fined.

Even when the on track product was bad in the 90s, you could count on some off track stuff to keep people entertained and to make them have a vested interest in the races.

What reason, other than complete randomness or "I liked the guy who used to drive that car" would any fan have to give a poo poo about any of the young drivers now.

Superstars can never hurt a sport except in a few situations. Even then, it's hard for them because they can easily be made persona non-grata. They always help, because "oh hey, I want to see this person now!". See also, Gordon, Dale (mostly Sr but Jr somewhat), Petty. KyBu is the heel, and he fully knows it and embraces it. The problem is, there's no good faces to counter him. JimmieBot is bland as gently caress and washed up it seems (though how much of it is the Chevys sucking poo poo this year is up to debate).

Remember how good Martinsville #2 was last year? It had soap opera level drama and everyone loved it.

Shame Chase will forever be a giant douche and an also-ran.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NBC will not be Bringing Back The Sunshine and decided to take a page out of the post-2007 TNT playbook and use covers of rock songs for their intro:

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1011732043607298053

Is it me or does the drum beat sound like it's going too fast for that song?

iospace posted:

Remember how good Martinsville #2 was last year? It had soap opera level drama and everyone loved it.

Shame Chase will forever be a giant douche and an also-ran.

I actually had to stop and think about what happened in that race. My ability and/or interest in recollecting race outcomes has dropped that far.

Frond posted:

My memeory might fail me but didn't (Jeff) Burton, Labonte, and Ernie Irvan win on occasion?

Winners through 16 races from 1992-1999 when 9 or fewer drivers won in that span (*=multiple wins):
1992- Allison*, Elliott*, Kulwicki, Martin, Earnhardt, Gant, Irvan*, Waltrip
1993- Jarrett, Wallace*, Allison, Shepherd, Earnhardt* (first 5 races, 5 winners), Irvan, G. Bodine, Petty, Rudd
1994- Marlin, Wallace*, Irvan*, Earnhardt*, T. Labonte, Gordon, Spencer, Rudd
1995- Marlin*, Gordon*, T. Labonte*, B. Labonte*, Earnhardt*, Martin, Petty
1996- Jarrett*, Earnhardt*, Gordon*, T. Labonte, Wallace*, Marlin, Irvan
1997- Gordon*, Wallace, Jarrett*, J. Burton, Martin*, Rudd, Irvan, Andretti
1998- Earnhardt, Gordon*, Martin*, B. Labonte*, Jarrett (5 races, 5 winners), Hamilton, T. Labonte, Mayfield
1999- Gordon*, Martin, J. Burton*, T. Labonte, Wallace, Andretti, Earnhardt, Jarrett*, B. Labonte

So yeah.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 27, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha John Hunter Nemechek blew an engine leading on the last lap Jesus Christ

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Seeing Rhodes came in second, so that's cool :)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahaha John Hunter Nemechek blew an engine leading on the last lap Jesus Christ

Didn't he blow one at Gateway too?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man Moffitt is having a hell of a year

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oh good Rutledge is back

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

Oh good Rutledge is back

https://twitter.com/RutledgeWood/status/1013143882303983617?s=19

What the gently caress does that even mean (the grab a drink part)?

Shut up, Rutledge.

E- oh cool, NBC has an intrusive pylon everybody's going to have to get used to as well!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 30, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which cup driver won xfinity today?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

iospace posted:

Which cup driver won xfinity today?

Kyle Larson

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Now that we've all turned on Larson he's gonna win everything.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

dentist toy box posted:

Now that we've all turned on Larson he's gonna win everything.

:getin:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/RutledgeWood/status/1013143882303983617?s=19

What the gently caress does that even mean (the grab a drink part)?

Shut up, Rutledge.

E- oh cool, NBC has an intrusive pylon everybody's going to have to get used to as well!

Seriously. The stupidest loving thing they did last year was the on track interview followed up with the exact same interview in victory lane. One's for the fans, one's for the sponsors? They are the exact same each time.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone know when Sponger Galapagos is coming back from his suspension?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the road to recovery is an extremely long one, man

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Does anyone know when Sponger Galapagos is coming back from his suspension?

right after shane hmiel

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

maffew buildings posted:

the road to recovery is an extremely long one, man

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't smokin', he's my poster

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oh cool, the NFL is bigger because of all the games to bet on. Guess we just need to do 18 head to head races. To bet on. And be more popular.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hi chance of rain today.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

YOU WILL LOVE CHASE ELLIOTT

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Who is the idiot that decided to run this race at 2 p.m. central on July day?

bigbillystyle posted:

Seriously. The stupidest loving thing they did last year was the on track interview followed up with the exact same interview in victory lane. One's for the fans, one's for the sponsors? They are the exact same each time.

His response is hilarious because it seems like a metaphor for the mindset which got NASCAR to where it is today.

"What do you know? Shut up, you'll like it."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who is the idiot that decided to run this race at 2 p.m. central on July day?

His name rhymes with Prance.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

It really bothers me how opaque the punishment/recovery process is for substances in NASCAR. I get that racing is inherently more dangerous to be participating in under the influence but it seems ridiculous to keep everything so hush-hush.

E: I was just reading up on it and Dinger was out for 6 races. I have to think SRA is coming back, or wouldn't the team just close?

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 1, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Dear God, who doesn't exist, please don't let a Kyle win

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

More finishes like that please

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Ok that was Extremely Rad. Suarez finished 11 despite starting in the back and the over the wall penalty, also Extremely Rad

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Dear Kyle Larson:

If you're going to hit a guy like that, loving FINISH THE JOB

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bless You Ryan Newman

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Some good-rear end racin'.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That race owned

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Dear Kyle Larson:

If you're going to hit a guy like that, loving FINISH THE JOB

Yeah he should of finished the job in turn 1-2, especially knowing who's in the 18.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
That was an awesome race with excellent coverage. If NASCAR is serious about picking up ground in viewership this is exactly the sort of thing they need to be doing every weekend.

Daytona under the lights next? Shiiiiiiiiit. You better believe there's going to be some people watching.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
He didn't finish the job because he didn't mean to do it. If he had meant to dump him he would have...I think.

Kyle Busch is right about one thing, if you are mad about that finish there's something wrong with you. I can't loving stand the guy, but that was fun as hell. That's the kind of finish that "race fans" have been begging for.

Kyle Busch is still an rear end in a top hat.

But maybe not as much of an rear end in a top hat as Ryan Newman. What the gently caress is he doing? A lap car, roughing up the leader, at the end of a race, that's just madness- and not in a good way. He should get dumped for that. Don't take the fact that you're a backmarker out on the leader, that doesn't even fly at your local dirt track.

If you're all interested in a great example of how not to race a leader when you're a lap car, check out Dave Marcis being an rear end in a top hat. I mentioned this in chat, but it's worth a watch. Gant is running 3rd, Marcis is 4 laps down.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

His response is hilarious because it seems like a metaphor for the mindset which got NASCAR to where it is today.

"What do you know? Shut up, you'll like it."
Yeah I thought it was a pretty stupid response...until I saw the guy respond back with something like, You know when you put it that way, you are right! How loving dumb do you have to be?

Elitist Bitch posted:

It really bothers me how opaque the punishment/recovery process is for substances in NASCAR. I get that racing is inherently more dangerous to be participating in under the influence but it seems ridiculous to keep everything so hush-hush.

E: I was just reading up on it and Dinger was out for 6 races. I have to think SRA is coming back, or wouldn't the team just close?
Wasn't AJ's thing really a 1 time thing and it was completely obvious. Like they tested him later or something and found nothing in his system and realized he didn't have an actual problem and he really did take something one time for like a workout supplement and never again? I seem to remember that whatever it was NASCAR seemed to believe it was an accident rather than a routine and I tend to think that was true because what was NASCAR really gaining by making sure AJ Allmendinger stayed in NASCAR? If it were a top end star like Jr, Johnson, Gordon, etc., I could see the reason for trying to cover it up.

Finally a good race at a mile and half track. It was nice not knowing who was going to win the race 10 laps in for once. Say what you want about either Kyle, that was a good finish, and really great save from Larson to hold onto 2nd place. I'll take a finish like that every week even if it means Shrub winning them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

But maybe not as much of an rear end in a top hat as Ryan Newman. What the gently caress is he doing? A lap car, roughing up the leader, at the end of a race, that's just madness- and not in a good way. He should get dumped for that. Don't take the fact that you're a backmarker out on the leader, that doesn't even fly at your local dirt track.

Newman saved that finish yo