Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I bet the alternator needs to be replaced. IIRC the headlights are wired directly through a switch in the console to the battery / alternator power and never get power from the ECU. So if those are acting wonky and brightening, dimming, etc. I doubt it's anything ECU related.
I have the Putco harness in, but I dont think that changes any relevant points. That sounds like a pretty solid theory to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Could it be a bad battery cable/terminal? I think without the battery connected to absorb power you can get pretty high voltage like that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm kind of curious are there any Jeeps of somewhat modern vintage (lets say back to '05 or so) that an average person can comfortably sleep stretched out in the back? I'm doing a lot more outdoor activities that require a quick overnight at a trailhead and I can just barely sleep comfortably in my XJ with the seats folded down. I have to wedge myself so that I lay diagonally and my feet pop into the little gear storage well opposite the spare tire--it works but kinda sucks.

I'm assuming Wranglers of any sort, even the JKU, are out. Maybe a Commander if the third row folds flat? Commanche with a bed topper would be great I bet, but I'm looking for something a little newer. Does a Liberty or any of the cute ute Jeeps do anything clever like let the front seats fold flat?

Oh and off-road capabilities are kind of secondary. Just basic four wheel drive is all I want--extras like limited slip or electric locking diffs would be nice but not necessary.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's barely possible in the WJ, easier if you mod the rear seats with pins so that you can pull the seat bottoms instead of just folding them forward. If the third row can fold flat (or come out) on a Commander it should be easy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Regarding the voltmeter issue.
97-01 gauges are "smart" - when a value goes out of range, the meter pegs in the direction of the fault and the check gauges lamp goes on. You weren't likely actually at 19v, it just pegged it to tell you there was an over voltage condition. The ECU manages the field winding and uses it to regulate the voltage.

The likely causes are:
lovely, loose, or corroded battery terminals causing sudden battery disconnects that drop current draw, resulting in voltage jumps that trigger the gauge
Worn out brushes causing the same thing, intermittent field winding connection. You'll see a DTC for a field circuit problem if this is true probably.
Damaged or loose alternator b+ wiring or fusible link. It's the big one at the front of the PDC. Should be green.
Corrosion or loose wiring causing the alternator grounding to be intermittent.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I have lovely grounds still, had a voltage spike like you described, could that be a reason I found my electric fan 40a maxi fuse was popped?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Could it be a bad battery cable/terminal? I think without the battery connected to absorb power you can get pretty high voltage like that.
Possible, but it's a good condition / tested / relatively new (meaning, in the last couple of years, not "I just replaced this") Optima battery, the terminals look good and are solidly fixed in place, and the cables and cable terminations are clean, solid, and well tight. Worth a thought, though, and thank you.

kastein posted:

Regarding the voltmeter issue.
97-01 gauges are "smart" - when a value goes out of range, the meter pegs in the direction of the fault and the check gauges lamp goes on. You weren't likely actually at 19v, it just pegged it to tell you there was an over voltage condition. The ECU manages the field winding and uses it to regulate the voltage.

The likely causes are:
lovely, loose, or corroded battery terminals causing sudden battery disconnects that drop current draw, resulting in voltage jumps that trigger the gauge
Worn out brushes causing the same thing, intermittent field winding connection. You'll see a DTC for a field circuit problem if this is true probably.
Damaged or loose alternator b+ wiring or fusible link. It's the big one at the front of the PDC. Should be green.
Corrosion or loose wiring causing the alternator grounding to be intermittent.
Excellent, thank you! There were at least three things I hadn't already checked here - codes (nope), wiring on the alternator (nope) and the PDC connections (nope). As near as I can tell, all look and feel good - they don't move, there's no corrosion, no wear or tear of note.

Since I had my code reader hooked up, though, I figured I'd put it in data display mode and drove around with it graphing voltage. I wasn't able to get it to spike on a ~20 minute drive in which I tried to induce every variety of ... full throttle, cornering hard, bouncing over things, whatever.

The only difference I can come up with today vs the other night when I posted is that my headlights were not on - so I'll check that putco harness, perhaps something is loose there. I don't know that a loose connection there would induce this, but it's probably about my last guess before assuming it's fine until it breaks worse.

One note: I completely assume that you know better than me on the gauges, but it sure seemed like it was showing actual voltage during the second drive - it was wavering up and down around 15-16V, and my headunit voltage display (never though that would come in so handy!) was displaying similar values. The earlier drive pinned sure looked like it was behaving as a "smart" (idiot) light, but it wasn't consistent between the two. Before the fix of corrosion on the PCM, though, we were able to read 18+V at the battery terminals using a multimeter, so I do think 19V is realistic.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

mod sassinator posted:

I'm kind of curious are there any Jeeps of somewhat modern vintage (lets say back to '05 or so) that an average person can comfortably sleep stretched out in the back? I'm doing a lot more outdoor activities that require a quick overnight at a trailhead and I can just barely sleep comfortably in my XJ with the seats folded down. I have to wedge myself so that I lay diagonally and my feet pop into the little gear storage well opposite the spare tire--it works but kinda sucks.

I'm assuming Wranglers of any sort, even the JKU, are out. Maybe a Commander if the third row folds flat? Commanche with a bed topper would be great I bet, but I'm looking for something a little newer. Does a Liberty or any of the cute ute Jeeps do anything clever like let the front seats fold flat?

Oh and off-road capabilities are kind of secondary. Just basic four wheel drive is all I want--extras like limited slip or electric locking diffs would be nice but not necessary.

JKUs started in 07, but they do make sleeping pads for them.

I guess it depends on how tall you are. That looks comfy enough to me. I would imagine an LJ would be similar in space, but those get pretty pricey considering they are just a longer TJ.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Half doors are on!

Going to leave them black for a while. My whole Jeep is slowly turning black, sort of like an opposite-police look. Also apparently removing the heated power mirrors from the OEM doors is impossible unless you disassemble the entire door. Or you cut the wires, so I did that. I'll now have to attach some kinda 5-pin connector for ease of swapping mirrors. SFZ doors are super light but the front weather striping doesn't quite line up with the doors very well so they'll definitely leak. I'll see if I can improve that a bit with some thicker weather striping or something.

The dynatrac brake upgrade I installed is noticably wayy better than stock brakes on bigger tires. I 100% recommend them to anyone here running JKs with larger heavy wheels - Maybe 35s? But if you're on 37s + you definitely want these. Super easy to install too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Crossposting

Dude at C&C this morning

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Rhyno posted:

Crossposting

Dude at C&C this morning

I love Comanches.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Mammal Sauce posted:

I love Comanches.

Well you're in luck friend!

Finally finished my Comanche Eliminator restoration after just under 3 years! Just stopping by to say thanks to this thread/forum for answering all my dumb questions over the last couple years, and to poster Veeb0rg for putting me in touch with the seller in the first place. Finished up literally this afternoon, just in time to enter it into a local car and truck show.

Old and busted

new hotness

And guess what? It won "Best Jeep!"

So yeah, thanks again to this forum as it pretty much gave me the bug to start a project like this in the first place, I've learned a poo poo ton, met a bunch of cool people, and somehow didn't get the locks changed on me by my wife when I dragged this thing home a month after our baby was born! On to the next one...

XJ Wagoneer :getin:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Crossposting

Dude at C&C this morning

Did you ask him why did he decide to mount his spare in a way that not only renders the entire bed useless but also blocks all rear visibility?

[e] and the spare is a different rim?

tuna fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 1, 2018

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Finally finished my Comanche Eliminator restoration after just under 3 years! Just stopping by to say thanks to this thread/forum for answering all my dumb questions over the last couple years, and to poster Veeb0rg for putting me in touch with the seller in the first place. Finished up literally this afternoon, just in time to enter it into a local car and truck show.

Old and busted

new hotness

So yeah, thanks again to this forum as it pretty much gave me the bug to start a project like this in the first place, I've learned a poo poo ton, met a bunch of cool people, and somehow didn't get the locks changed on me by my wife when I dragged this thing home a month after our baby was born! On to the next one...

Looks good man.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

tuna posted:

Did you ask him why did he decide to mount his spare in a way that not only renders the entire bed useless but also blocks all rear visibility?

"""departure angles"""

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Stability, and they can be a bitch to remove if they're laying flat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tuna posted:

[e] and the spare is a different rim?

He has the matching set of wheels to go with the spare, he hasn't had time to get the tires swapped over.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Old and busted

new hotness

Wow, that is beautiful!

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Old and busted

new hotness

This is so cool. Did you do a thread on this? I need to know how you saved/duplicated the graphics.
I am in the process of fixing up a 93 YJ, and I dont know what to do about the graphics on it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A lot of them are reproduced.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Godholio posted:

Stability, and they can be a bitch to remove if they're laying flat.

I mount a 37 flat, tied down with ratchet straps and it's easy to just unshackle and slide directly out the back. On his one he has to climb into the bed and lift the wheel diagonal up over the spindle its mounted on which is probably a lot harder.

Rhyno posted:

He has the matching set of wheels to go with the spare, he hasn't had time to get the tires swapped over.

I saw your crosspost a while later where you had a few more details. At least he can unbolt that section when not at car shows. I do actually like the idea of those bolt locations too because it's now super easy to fab up other, more useful things to bolt into that cage back there if need be.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently I am the Jeep whisperer at the company I work at as I have built 4 of them for people.

Yesterday was another 3" Evo Enforcer lift with Rancho adjustable shocks, Evo draglink flip, Adams front driveshaft and we threw on his 37" Cooper STT Pros

Before

After

He needs to throw some spacers on as he rubs at full lock, those will be here on wednesday. We also had to pull the hardrock rails off as they were touching the rear tire and we'll trim them this week.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

GEEKABALL posted:

This is so cool. Did you do a thread on this? I need to know how you saved/duplicated the graphics.
I am in the process of fixing up a 93 YJ, and I dont know what to do about the graphics on it.

I didnt do a thread here, probably should have tho. I did one on Comanche Club: https://comancheclub.com/topic/48784-newbie-build-91-eliminator/

I got the decals off eBay. Apparently jeepstickers.com or something similar has them too. Theyre pretty nice and werent that tough to apply. I also got the tailgate letter decals too. Not an exact match for the factory decals but they do look sharp.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tuna posted:

I saw your crosspost a while later where you had a few more details. At least he can unbolt that section when not at car shows. I do actually like the idea of those bolt locations too because it's now super easy to fab up other, more useful things to bolt into that cage back there if need be.

I think he said he had other racks already built. I was fanboying out so hard I missed a few things.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I was cleaning out my throttle body today, decided to remove the housing that the IAC goes into. Saw it was black, started spraying Throttle body cleaner and scrubbing, when I realized I was actually chipping off a gasket. Will I have to get a new one now, or will I be able to get away with using the half-broken one? I would usually rather be safe than sorry, but i cannot seem to find the gasket online anywhere, and I need the car to go to work in the morning. Again, it's the gasket between the little IAC housing and the throttle body itself. Thanks for any and all help, I know it's stupid of me to do wait until Sunday to do it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mattfl posted:

Apparently I am the Jeep whisperer at the company I work at as I have built 4 of them for people.

Yesterday was another 3" Evo Enforcer lift with Rancho adjustable shocks, Evo draglink flip, Adams front driveshaft and we threw on his 37" Cooper STT Pros

Before

After

He needs to throw some spacers on as he rubs at full lock, those will be here on wednesday. We also had to pull the hardrock rails off as they were touching the rear tire and we'll trim them this week.

What are the headlights on the blue one?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

What are the headlights on the blue one?

Those are the new OEM LED headlights that Jeeps come with now.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

DildenAnders posted:

I was cleaning out my throttle body today, decided to remove the housing that the IAC goes into. Saw it was black, started spraying Throttle body cleaner and scrubbing, when I realized I was actually chipping off a gasket. Will I have to get a new one now, or will I be able to get away with using the half-broken one? I would usually rather be safe than sorry, but i cannot seem to find the gasket online anywhere, and I need the car to go to work in the morning. Again, it's the gasket between the little IAC housing and the throttle body itself. Thanks for any and all help, I know it's stupid of me to do wait until Sunday to do it.

Apparently no one makes that gasket. Use silicon gasket maker stuff.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mattfl posted:

Those are the new OEM LED headlights that Jeeps come with now.

Cool, how are they in comparison to trucklites?

And when are you getting black half doors so our Jeeps can remain as identical as possible?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Veeb0rg posted:

Apparently no one makes that gasket. Use silicon gasket maker stuff.

Ah, crap that sucks. Thanks for the info, off to Autozone I go.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuna posted:

Cool, how are they in comparison to trucklites?

And when are you getting black half doors so our Jeeps can remain as identical as possible?

He loves them, I have not seen them in the dark to compare.

I thought I posted that I did get half doors! They are just the besttop vinyl halfdoors but they are awesome. I kinda wanted the SFZ ones but didn't wanna shell out that much money for a set of hard doors.

This was 3 weeks ago at Windrock

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Possible, but it's a good condition / tested / relatively new (meaning, in the last couple of years, not "I just replaced this") Optima battery, the terminals look good and are solidly fixed in place, and the cables and cable terminations are clean, solid, and well tight. Worth a thought, though, and thank you.

Excellent, thank you! There were at least three things I hadn't already checked here - codes (nope), wiring on the alternator (nope) and the PDC connections (nope). As near as I can tell, all look and feel good - they don't move, there's no corrosion, no wear or tear of note.

Since I had my code reader hooked up, though, I figured I'd put it in data display mode and drove around with it graphing voltage. I wasn't able to get it to spike on a ~20 minute drive in which I tried to induce every variety of ... full throttle, cornering hard, bouncing over things, whatever.

The only difference I can come up with today vs the other night when I posted is that my headlights were not on - so I'll check that putco harness, perhaps something is loose there. I don't know that a loose connection there would induce this, but it's probably about my last guess before assuming it's fine until it breaks worse.

One note: I completely assume that you know better than me on the gauges, but it sure seemed like it was showing actual voltage during the second drive - it was wavering up and down around 15-16V, and my headunit voltage display (never though that would come in so handy!) was displaying similar values. The earlier drive pinned sure looked like it was behaving as a "smart" (idiot) light, but it wasn't consistent between the two. Before the fix of corrosion on the PCM, though, we were able to read 18+V at the battery terminals using a multimeter, so I do think 19V is realistic.
Just to loop back on this:

It looks like it's no longer an issue - I drove it ~100 miles in varying conditions this weekend and had absolutely no recurrence. My theory at this point is: Corrosion on the PCM connector caused poor / no regulation, brief overvoltage caused some sort of anomalous battery state, which then caused it to charge weirdly until the battery was 100% again.

Or, more accurately, I have no idea, but I don't care anymore, and I appreciate everyone's help!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mattfl posted:

He loves them, I have not seen them in the dark to compare.

I thought I posted that I did get half doors! They are just the besttop vinyl halfdoors but they are awesome. I kinda wanted the SFZ ones but didn't wanna shell out that much money for a set of hard doors.

This was 3 weeks ago at Windrock

Haha, awesome.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Well, all that should be left to do to get running again is bleeding the clutch. Now to find a bleeder.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Thinking about new wheels since mine are a bit rusty on the YJ I just picked up plus one has a slightly different offset.

How do the cheapo $39 Trail Master TM5 compare to similar wheels ( Bart D Trucker, Procomp 51)? Anybody had these long term?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Man it sure is nice to have half doors, let that cool breeze right in. Oh.

kill meeeeee

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ooof, that beats my record Jeep temp of 119. Yikes.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Godholio posted:

Ooof, that beats my record Jeep temp of 119. Yikes.

Fortunately I think the thermometer just kinda poo poo itself in the heat. It was about 115f today (earlier readings on the thermo were actually up to 119f tho) , with no reason to think that I was in a specially hot pocket of 126. Around those temps I can't really tell the difference though.

Where is the sensor actually located?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably the grille, it's where it's at in my WJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They tend to read high if you just started the engine after it sitting for a while in the heat, in my limited experience.