Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The drone can’t do sound coz it sounds like a big wasp :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i knew the v8 swap was a troll, thats why there is no sound

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

tryout video to be on Geordie Shore season 20

Nice burnout finally!! You need to mic the car now too and videoshop the two sources together

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Videoshop is a way better name than After Effects, come the gently caress on Adobe.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bape Culture posted:

Get an external mic for your go pro (I know you have one) and just layer the sound on the video! I wouldn't be surprised if you can actually use an external mic on the drone, come to think of it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

Get an external mic for your go pro (I know you have one) and just layer the sound on the video! I wouldn't be surprised if you can actually use an external mic on the drone, come to think of it.

You could probably also run the mic into your phone (or minidisc or tape recorder as I believe was once done) to use as a recording device.

Wire the mic into your intake or next to the exhaust and suddenly no need for crappy music.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

You can but the drones are so loud it washes out everything. External mic on the car itself is the way to go

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bape Culture posted:

This would have been preferable

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can but the drones are so loud it washes out everything. External mic on the car itself is the way to go

I figured. My friend use one in his track vids that's situated above the exhaust on the rear bumper with painters tape. Works great.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Grakkus posted:

So I bought a large pile of moss and dirt with some metal and plastic underneath:

A couple of weeks ago I was back at my dad's and had a chance to sort this car out a bit - we cleaned most of the gunge off it, got it running and drove it out of it's decade-long resting place and to my dad's:

It looks fairly clean in those final shots, but there was still a deeply ingrained layer of muck that was staining the car a faint shade of green. A light polish sorted it out:

The car as it sits today waiting for an MOT. All it needs is a couple of small holes welded in the sill below the B-pillar and a replacement low-pressure suspension hose. Beyond that, all I had to do to make it road-legal was replace an indicator bulb, the wiper blades and the tyres (though bizarrely, the MOT place concluded that only three of the decade-old rotten tyres were out of spec!). Looking forward to hitting the road in it soon!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

What a weird looking car. I like it. BX, correct? I'm American...not too familiar with French cars for the most part since they weren't ever imported here in large numbers.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
BX 14, aka 1.4 litres of hot hatch fury. Late 80s early 90s PSA is my guilty pleasure.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
that thing owns and cleaned up well

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Grakkus posted:

A couple of weeks ago I was back at my dad's and had a chance to sort this car out a bit - we cleaned most of the gunge off it, got it running and drove it out of it's decade-long resting place and to my dad's:

It looks fairly clean in those final shots, but there was still a deeply ingrained layer of muck that was staining the car a faint shade of green. A light polish sorted it out:

The car as it sits today waiting for an MOT. All it needs is a couple of small holes welded in the sill below the B-pillar and a replacement low-pressure suspension hose. Beyond that, all I had to do to make it road-legal was replace an indicator bulb, the wiper blades and the tyres (though bizarrely, the MOT place concluded that only three of the decade-old rotten tyres were out of spec!). Looking forward to hitting the road in it soon!

So good. The flat smooth white all over is rad as hell and super unique.

Did timing belt, water pump and all other assorted belts in the Prado. It's now became my wife's daily driver and it's an all-around great truck. Yeah sure we don't need to daily a turbo diesel 4x4 but at least it's small. Look at the parking lines!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
bape did you ever get yourself a missile?

sorry for the screengrab from the tube but heres $6k AUD worth of 180sx, the black one is me and less than half the total cost

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

angryhampster posted:

What a weird looking car. I like it. BX, correct? I'm American...not too familiar with French cars for the most part since they weren't ever imported here in large numbers.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

BX 14, aka 1.4 litres of hot hatch fury. Late 80s early 90s PSA is my guilty pleasure.

Yup, a special edition of the BX 14, with a whopping 72 gallic stallions at its disposal. It only weighs about 1900lbs though, so it keeps up with traffic. It's also fitted with hydropneumatic suspension, stiffened up from the factory due to the car's lightness which gives it fairly sporty cornering abilities. Driving it on the small roads around my dad's has definitely gotten me interested in picking up a 160hp 16v gti!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

bape did you ever get yourself a missile?

sorry for the screengrab from the tube but heres $6k AUD worth of 180sx, the black one is me and less than half the total cost

No mate all the s bodies here are expensive af :(

Absolutely bad rear end! Very jealous. Get some videos up!!!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

:bisonyes:

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Love it- the BX looks so good in white, especially next to the 944. Such an underrated Gandini design, it has really aged well compared to its contemporaries.

We had a BX estate as a kid which was later replaced by a CX estate nicknamed Darth Vader for its looks and the wheezing hydropneumatic pump. Fantastic cars, wish there were more survivors out there.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

Get some videos up!!!

SquirrelGrip posted:

https://youtu.be/5l9BHcqR5Qw

our cars were the maroon s14, black r32, white 180 and the multicolored 180 that ended up black (me), every other car was a local we met at the track

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Putting all those Fords in the background to shame. You seriously have to stop posting pictures of this vehicle. It makes me want to put stripes and turbo stickers on everything.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Posting this pic everywhere because it’s the best.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

This red brake stuff is getting out of hand.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a guy at my local autox who roasts brakes every single run. He comes off the course smoking and doesn't give a gently caress. The runs slicks on his ST.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Shots were taken right at dusk, so my plebian stock sized rotors could look cool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Loanarn posted:

Putting all those Fords in the background to shame. You seriously have to stop posting pictures of this vehicle. It makes me want to put stripes and turbo stickers on everything.

You say that almost as if it's not a great idea.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

On one hand, awesome car.

On the other, Florida.

Hood-mounted side mirrors :gizz:

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Sarasota Ford is where I bought my car! For some reason I always assumed you were in California with all your rad imports.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn posted:

graphics = best

Although I don't know what they would look like on a GT-R, with those being hyper-rad already.

PaintVagrant posted:

How many times can you roast the rotors like that before you have to change them? Every trackday?

Danthrax posted:

Sarasota Ford is where I bought my car! For some reason I always assumed you were in California with all your rad imports.

Man if I were in California I wouldn't be able to have imported them all! But yeah right in Sarasota. Where are you?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I’ve run the same $40 centric blanks and hawk pads for 6 track days or so. The rotors glowing red is a result of the dusky light conditions, not me overheating them. Here’s the album I got the pic from, lots of sweet glowing rotors:

https://www.powerstop.com/gridlife-pics-autobahn-country-club/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KakerMix posted:

How many times can you roast the rotors like that before you have to change them? Every trackday?
If you aren't stuck with undersized rotors they will heat-check / microcrack after a day or two and eventually crack to the edge after some number of days, if you are on undersized rotors you will crack rotors to the edge somewhere between every day and whatever.

Microcracks

Crack

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 7, 2018

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

graphics = best

Although I don't know what they would look like on a GT-R, with those being hyper-rad already.

Man if I were in California I wouldn't be able to have imported them all! But yeah right in Sarasota. Where are you?

Hey look I dont just have a GTR. I have a Yellow CRX Si that is begging for graphics. I also have a 350z but that's gotta get sold.

I wanna put some sort of graphics or something cool on the CRX but I cant figure out what. Black stuff always looks cool on yellow cars.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I was pestering my dad for years to buy his old truck and he gave in. 2001 GMC Sierra 1500, 2wd 5.3. 120k.

State sales tax for the title transfer will be about $150 sweeeeet.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I'm in Saint Pete! When I was shopping there was a silver '13 FoST near me, then I saw the one I ended up buying down there which was a '14 with fewer miles, better color, and cheaper. The drive back to Saint Pete took a significantly shorter amount of time than the drive down in the rental did :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've had this for a bit over a week now:

2000 Carrera. 43k miles. 6MT. I'm now the second owner. Kind of a unique color, Zenith Blue Metallic. Depending on the light, can look violet.

Not a fast car, but now that I've replaced the 11 year old tires with sticky new Michelin PS 4S, I love the way it drives. Nice compromise in size and power between my previous two cars, Miata NC and Corvette C5 Z06. Corvette was just a hair too big for a lot of the fun roads around me.

Now I just need to get some more volume out of the exhaust, clean up the bumper and get a little preventative maintenance done.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Danthrax posted:

For some reason I always assumed you were in California with all your rad imports.

Funny thing about that :(

Its really difficult to register post 69 import vehicles here without CARB Certification testing, which is about $5000. I'm saving up for a 323 GT-R. There are a couple of importers who are providing all the service here, but imagine a mid-grade Skyline GT-R being $25k minimum. Still, there's at least a denoted clear path now, now that people have actually gone all the way through successfully.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

Funny thing about that :(

Its really difficult to register post 69 import vehicles here without CARB Certification testing, which is about $5000. I'm saving up for a 323 GT-R. There are a couple of importers who are providing all the service here, but imagine a mid-grade Skyline GT-R being $25k minimum. Still, there's at least a denoted clear path now, now that people have actually gone all the way through successfully.

If you buy one that has already been imported and titled in the US (say, in Florida) and drive or ship it to CA, do you still have to get it CARB'd or do they not require it then?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If you buy one that has already been imported and titled in the US (say, in Florida) and drive or ship it to CA, do you still have to get it CARB'd or do they not require it then?

There's the theoretical exemption but still would have to have a "49 state"* Federal emissions certification and pass with that. Maybe find a lab that can test and certify cheaper in another state that can add to the "federal' compliance database, I have no idea about that. The shitshow that the EPA has been turned into the last year might be of some help in this edge case?

Krakkles posted:

Still required.

I think there is or used to be an exception in some cases if you have the car registered in another state and you moved to California, but it was less simple than that and I’m not sure it still exists.

Summary:

“How do I register a NON-USA or "Grey Market" car in California?”

Never heard of anyone having any success with this. Its really something that people who are lawyers or legislators familiar with the ARB and California vehicle laws could find the actual application. I have owned Federal spec cars in California and definitely have to smog them biennially.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 9, 2018