Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mcmagic posted:

All with 2 outs and all with 2 strikes. He's pathetic.

Inspector_666 posted:

Not just two outs, he had two-strike counts to three different batters.

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is a Lost Season... for Sonny Gray

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If they trade for a guy like Happ and Tanaka comes back, it's not unreasonable to drop Gray out of the rotation and keep Loaisiga.

Carlosologist posted:

He was garbage last year too after they traded for him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I think Sonny Gray has been a good pitcher over his career but literally every single number went the wrong way as soon as he came to New York and there is absolutely no sign that it's going to get any better.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I seriously wonder what happened. it's not like Gray is an over 30 guy just barely hanging on. he's 28, his stuff hasn't changed all that much

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I seriously wonder what happened. it's not like Gray is an over 30 guy just barely hanging on. he's 28, his stuff hasn't changed all that much

I was just about to edit my post to say there's not even anything you can point to as "He needs to do this and this" like there was with Tanaka last year (and this year to an extent.) Just right off a cliff for no discernable reason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

I was just about to edit my post to say there's not even anything you can point to as "He needs to do this and this" like there was with Tanaka last year (and this year to an extent.) Just right off a cliff for no discernable reason.

His home/road splits and constant giving up hits with 2 strikes make me think it's mental.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
David Cone said he started taking forever between pitches for some reason, and if he works faster he seems to pitch much better. He also nibbles like a motherfucker so he gets a lot of two strike counts and then runs full and walks people and only goes like 5 innings max because his pitch count is huge.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

His home/road splits and constant giving up hits with 2 strikes make me think it's mental.

maduin posted:

David Cone said he started taking forever between pitches for some reason, and if he works faster he seems to pitch much better. He also nibbles like a motherfucker so he gets a lot of two strike counts and then runs full and walks people and only goes like 5 innings max because his pitch count is huge.

I loving hate armchair psychologizing athletes but yeah, I actually agree with McMagic (gently caress) that he just gets entirely into his own head and things snowball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He was even shittier than his last start against Boston. Pretty impressive.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yikes. bad game, get them tomorrow

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
At least it was against Sale, wouldn't want to waste one of our good pitchers with how good he's pitched tonight

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Sonny Gray is Jeff Weaver reborn.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Sonny Gray is Jeff Weaver reborn.

Hopefully he turns into AJ Burnett.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
At this point I'd take it. Inconsistent is better than consistently terrible.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

He's the second coming of Javier Vazquez, especially his second stint.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Even in the one playoff game Gray pitched OK in last year he only went 5 innings and threw like 95 pitches. He's extremely inefficient.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
It’s so crazy how I thought the Sonny Gray move was such a good one at the time and it’s such a goddamn loving disaster. Give me Kaprelian back.

Edit: My brother offered to take Sonny Gray out for good if I paid for his flight to NYC and I'm seriously thinking about it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 1, 2018

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe he should transition into the bullpen? this way he can stay effective for short periods? I feel like he also explodes against the tough teams...maybe he puts a lot of pressure on himself. vs the red sox = the penultimate pressure

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

He was garbage last year too after they traded for him.

He was fine last year. I think he's just a #3 starter and it's easier to pitch in Oakland.

I'd love to deal for him another reclamation project like Jon Gray. I don't want to just DFA him, pitchers just have bad years/can't handle NY/etc..., it happens.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AARON JUDGE

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Gleyber!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

a classic David Price performance

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

David Price falling apart against the Yankees? well I never

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Carlosologist posted:

David Price falling apart against the Yankees? well I never

quick someone run to the popeyes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Of all the middling players who turn into hall of famers against the Yankees, Benentendi might be the most annoying.

I also continue to think that Price might be a good Yankee... He seems to be fine pitching against other teams.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 2, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

That home run sounded like a gunshot, holy poo poo.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Higgy!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is Price like a secret yankee fan or something?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

mcmagic posted:

If so he's going to have a good seat for the rest of the game :smug:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

beer and chicken

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like Luis Severino and this whole team :shobon:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
what about sonny gray

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

exploded mummy posted:

what about sonny gray

He's bad at pitching now but he still seems like a good guy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Luis Severino has a 1.98 ERA in July. he's 24 years old, and he's not scared of anybody

my loving ace

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hicks can stay.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Ball go far

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
i feel awful for sonny its all in his head. he's kicking the poo poo out of himself :(

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Each game in the series was a ridiculous blow out. I'm happy we took two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So Bird hit 2 Yankee Stadium homers in Friday and now is back to being awful.

Neil walker can't hit a 91 MPH fastball right down the middle. DFA.

93 MPH Slider lol

The level of faith the Yankees show in Bird is ridiculous. What a joke of an AB. 0 for 11 with RISP.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 3, 2018

• Locked thread