Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Hey, guess where I've been since 6am this morning? Cooking brunch!

Y'all are right about the picky white collar people doing brunch. We're a casual breakfast place, about equal dine in and take out, and during the week we get plenty of blue collar dudes rolling up in their construction trucks just getting biscuits to go. The weird, stupid tickets are always on Sunday's. Like, today we had someone get our version of eggs Benedict, and it got sent back because the eggs were ON the biscuit. Had to trash a $10 plate and re-fire one with the eggs on the side. What the Christ?

On a happier note, today I became Saint of the Kitchen with one simple kindness. It's in the upper 90's outside, so our kitchen was hellaciously hot, worse than usual. When I had a minute, I grabbed a bunch of side towels, got em damp, then stuck them in the reach in. About 30 minutes later I pulled them out and ran around the kitchen calling "Cold behind! Cold behind you!" and draping them around people's necks. Many hymns were sung* in the name of Our Lady of the Surprise Icy Cold Towel.

*well, it's a kitchen, so it was more like "holy gently caress JD, you're the poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Sunny side up over easy is a thing. They want the whites set with a runny yolk, sunny side up. I.e., just put a lid on the sunny side eggs for a few secs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Sunny side up over easy is a thing. They want the whites set with a runny yolk, sunny side up. I.e., just put a lid on the sunny side eggs for a few secs.

why is the word "over" in there if you don't turn them over?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

My favorite brunch order was always the hard-poached eggs. How gross!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

Most restaraunt owners don't give a poo poo about overlap or prep, all they see is dollar signs. They power seat tables while the kitchen is switching over and turbo gently caress the whole place, that's been my experience with brunch.

Also gently caress brunch.

So you think that owners control seating flow and also the flow of people actually coming in the door? Perhaps you should adjust your optics. If a lot of people are coming in at 1 or 2, you should adjust your kitchen schedule. What do you want the host to do, turn people away?

I get it somewhat, the bar gets hosed over during the change also. And I know that the host can and should control the seating flow so nobody gets hosed, but I’ve been having that “conversation” once a week for the past couple years. People are going to come in, and it’s our job to treat them with hospitality and accept their money.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The Maestro posted:

So you think that owners control seating flow and also the flow of people actually coming in the door? Perhaps you should adjust your optics. If a lot of people are coming in at 1 or 2, you should adjust your kitchen schedule. What do you want the host to do, turn people away?

I get it somewhat, the bar gets hosed over during the change also. And I know that the host can and should control the seating flow so nobody gets hosed, but I’ve been having that “conversation” once a week for the past couple years. People are going to come in, and it’s our job to treat them with hospitality and accept their money.

You haven't been in the restaraunt business very long I think

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

You haven't been in the restaraunt business very long I think

You’re right, only 6 years or so. But I’m FoH so I’m always wrong and it’s questionable whether you consider me industry or not, though I’ve worked my way up from busser to food runner to expo to bar back to server to bartender to bar manager. Maybe I should contact our owners and tell them they should control how we seat our restaurant.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lemme know how that works out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Maestro posted:

You’re right, only 6 years or so. But I’m FoH so I’m always wrong and it’s questionable whether you consider me industry or not, though I’ve worked my way up from busser to food runner to expo to bar back to server to bartender to bar manager. Maybe I should contact our owners and tell them they should control how we seat our restaurant.

i've never worked in a place successful or fussy enough to need to do this, but I know it's a thing here that some places time out all the seatings in advance and turn people away if they don't fit in to their schedule even if a table is technically free.

in other news i had my second brunch in two days to celebrate my white collar status. it was at a really new place with really great soul food, i checked their yelp and half the reviews are filled with glowing comments on the food followed by a note that they got too many ice cubes in their tap water and a one star review and i'm so glad i don't work in this industry anymore.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Maestro posted:

Maybe I should contact our owners and tell them they should control how we seat our restaurant.

Obviously it's not the owners' direct responsibility, but if your restaurant is being seated in a way that is loving the servers, loving the kitchen, and loving the bar, AND no one is doing anything to remedy the situation, then yeah, that's a failing of the ownership/management team. There are absolutely things that can be done to fix those issues.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, it's not. If you cook sunny side up eggs properly the whites are set and the yolks are untouched. The words over easy imply a flip.

I've found that most people who specify sunny over easy are looking for basted eggs which are what CDC was getting at.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

It's the most white person meal ever, I loving hate it.

Waiting on a 6 top of rich kids who have never done a hard days work in their lives bitching about how their eggs aren't cooked exactly how they wanted. gently caress you.

Today I had a customer tell me that “mustard was just too spicy” and I replied “that’s the whitest thing I have ever heard”

But I was wrong, brunch is whiter.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Got secret shopped.

Perfect score.

Suck my (metaphorical) nuts.

Where at? Also gently caress secret shoppers. Did you remember to UPSELL too?

e - eggchat, when I'm up front I always try to ask them to clarify exactly what they want. "You want runny yolks, yes?" My bane on eggchat is people who explicitly specify CRACKED EGGS especially when I have to dig it out of them that that's what they want. Just eat the liquid eggs, they're the same drat thing you picky fucks. You won't taste the difference.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 2, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manuel Calavera posted:

Where at? Also gently caress secret shoppers. Did you remember to UPSELL too?

e - eggchat, when I'm up front I always try to ask them to clarify exactly what they want. "You want runny yolks, yes?" My bane on eggchat is people who explicitly specify CRACKED EGGS especially when I have to dig it out of them that that's what they want. Just eat the liquid eggs, they're the same drat thing you picky fucks. You won't taste the difference.

I'm not saying where I'm working. Sorry.

As for the rest of it, I can't remember if I did or not.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A fair answer. To clarify, a restaurant (what restaurant secret shops even, is that a thing?) or something like retail grocery that I used to do? Retail secret shops are also the worst.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basically it's a check to see if the store is clean, if the staff is clean (it's been a problem), and we do what we're supposed to do. If we do the bare minimum (which I hilariously did) we pass.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
A lot of national franchises do secret shops using third party companies like Marketforce. In addition to what iospace said, they often score things like how long the shopper waited in line, how long the food took to come out, etc.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Forbes Guide is pretty tough, the way everything is scored is pass/fail. Even if someone's interactions are perfect 99% of the time, that 1% automatically fails.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also from a manager's standpoint secret shops are a great way to figure out if your staff are doing the right things when you're not standing directly behind them looking over their shoulder.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Manuel Calavera posted:

A fair answer. To clarify, a restaurant (what restaurant secret shops even, is that a thing?) or something like retail grocery that I used to do? Retail secret shops are also the worst.

We get about one a month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I got secret shopped once and while I did well my manager called me out because I didn't care them for booze. According to the form they were 28, unless you show me a photo and they look way young for their age in not copping to that being a mistake.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I got secret shopped once and while I did well my manager called me out because I didn't care them for booze. According to the form they were 28, unless you show me a photo and they look way young for their age in not copping to that being a mistake.

I know the liquor inspector in my town will ask 50+ yo gentlemen for their ID just to verify they have it (and that our bartenders request it). Some people are anal as hell.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

virinvictus posted:

I know the liquor inspector in my town will ask 50+ yo gentlemen for their ID just to verify they have it (and that our bartenders request it). Some people are anal as hell.

All depends on how the state liquor laws are written. The way the ones in Missouri are written, a licensee can get punished if they serve someone without state-defined valid proof of age, regardless of the customer's actual age. It's only a can, but carding everyone does protect your license.

Carry your ID when you go out drinking. It's part of being an adult.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In California, to the best of my knowledge, there's no requirement to card people for alcohol. Just you get busted for selling to underage people.

Edit: but yes, always carry your ID if you're drinking. When I was 23 there was a girl in our circle of friends who was constantly forgetting to bring her ID and it was god damned infuriating.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 3, 2018

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

In Washington you can get in deep poo poo for not carding.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Jaded industry goons, there are good restaurants out there.

I am a lowly dishwasher at age 31. It is my first restaurant job. I clearly have not made the best decisions in my life, but now I work my rear end off and can handle my station.

When I voiced my frustration about constantly having an unreasonable workload left by another dishwasher, they fixed the problem and gave me a 10% raise, because they know how much I bust my rear end.

They close for two days a week so I get an actual weekend, and I get 3 paid days off this week for the holiday.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thoht posted:

In Washington you can get in deep poo poo for not carding.

Really, even if they're over 21? I know the liquor control board did a huge sting like a decade ago on a poo poo ton of bars in Seattle (using underage kids as bait) and it all got thrown out for entrapment. It was a couple hundred thousand dollars in police over time too.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Do you guys have to wear beard nets?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

A Man and his Hog posted:

After the third one melted from grease, I gave up on them. I rotated between a couple large Tech N9ne bandanas and made sure they covered my entire beard and the bottom end was tucked into my shirt. It counted as an 'effective hair restraint' for the health code and I looked like an old west bandit while slinging burritos.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Man and his Hog posted:

No, because I manage business goons these days. Back when I was cooking i shaved because it was less annoying than a beard net.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Why wouldn’t you just card people if they look younger than 35? It takes like 10 seconds and the consequences are insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Maestro posted:

Why wouldn’t you just card people if they look younger than 35? It takes like 10 seconds and the consequences are insane.

If people are sitting down in a restaurant and aren't expecting to be carded it takes way longer than 10 seconds to card them, also there's no objective measurement of what 35 looks like.

I'm not carding someone I'm pretty drat sure is in their late 20's when the restaurant is slammed and there's food piling up in the expo line and there's a table of 12 that's expecting all of there food to come out at the same time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

Carry your ID when you go out drinking. It's part of being an adult.

Qualifier: only in America with its crazy drinking laws. :colbert: It would be a ridiculous idea past the age of about 22 anywhere else in the world.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

feedmegin posted:

Qualifier: only in America with its crazy drinking laws. :colbert: It would be a ridiculous idea past the age of about 22 anywhere else in the world.

Considering the massive issue we have with drunk driving, given our reliance on cars over public transportation in almost every major city (and everywhere else), it's really not that crazy.

Edit: And I say that as someone who got a DUI a decade ago. I deserved it, I'm not going to make excuses - it's a real problem in a lot of places here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Considering the massive issue we have with drunk driving, given our reliance on cars over public transportation in almost every major city (and everywhere else), it's really not that crazy.

Edit: And I say that as someone who got a DUI a decade ago. I deserved it, I'm not going to make excuses - it's a real problem in a lot of places here.

It's more the drinking age of 21 I'm talking about. It's a lot easier to tell if someone isn't a literal teenager so we don't have people in their 40s being asked for ID.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
To be fair, I think anyone that leaves the house without government issued ID is crazy in this day and age.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's a school of thought that raising the drinking age to 21 actually contributed to drunk driving accidents because it encourages binge drinking at younger ages. Also the fact that public transit is a complete joke even in the cities that have good ones compared to the rest of the country has something to do with the drunk driving.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

I’m in Canada and legally have to ID anyone who looks 35 or under.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
When I was still working FoH, every single alcohol order would immediately get carded, regardless of rush.

I never cared about it, my manager thought it was "a funny but effective policy", and if they bitched about getting carded, it's not very likely that they're the kind of people who would tip well anyway.

Can't fail a sting if you card everybody every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I’m in Canada and legally have to ID anyone who looks 35 or under.

How is that a law? what's the legal definition of "looking 35"?