Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I only just learned that the Oracles games were prequels to Links Awakening, thats a cool little touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I only just learned that the Oracles games were prequels to Links Awakening, thats a cool little touch.

LTTP Link is the best Link since he was in four games. Five if Gramps in LBW is supposed to be him.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

As someone who watched Tenchi Muyo (another dweeb hero who seems to have women thrown at him) as a kid, there being ambiguously connected incarnations of Link and Zelda makes sense to me. :shrug:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

just like fei and elly in xenogears, who keep reincarnating in order to get killed by aliens or infect planets or something.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

https://twitter.com/mivic_zel/status/986650798552576000

They seem to like being a dick to Kass; there's other videos in the timeline....

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I like that the first Zelda released after the official timeline doesn't really fit into the timeline at all

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like that the first Zelda released after the official timeline doesn't really fit into the timeline at all

I feel it takes place after spirit tracks by about 1000 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Calamity Canon

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Finished collecting all the dlc armor, it was a lot more fun than I expected and took me to a bunch of places I hadn't fully explored. Figured nearly all of them out on my own, only had to google a couple ones because they were in named locations I hadn't uncovered on my map yet.

Most disappointing discovery: if you're mixing sets and want to use the phantom Ganon chest for that sweet cape, you can't wear the hylian hood with it. The hylian hood's cowl overrides the cape, unfortunately.

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

It feels like the devs heard about the official timeline, then intentionally made Breath of the Wild as hard to fit into it as possible, just to spite the people who care about that stuff.

I love it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nice conspiracy theory but it's Aonuma himself who constantly hinted at the existence of an official timeline for years. I think it's just that the way they make the zelda stories makes them fit into timelines without much hassle, but they don't ever look at it until after the fact and BotW happened to have a way different story and everything else so it don't fit.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Amppelix posted:

I think it's just that the way they make the zelda stories makes them fit into timelines without much hassle

They had to split the lore into three timelines because they couldn't stop setting games directly after OoT, which was already a prequel.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Its currently a billion degrees in the UK so I've spent the evening back in BotW. I'm still having fun but kind of at a loss for direction. There's so many open areas that clearly aren't tied to the main quest, they're nowhere near the Divine Beasts and are separate from the main communities (Goron, Rito, Zora, Gerudo) but other than Shrine hunting and dumping small boulders on Koroks are there quests in these areas? I know about the Tarry Town quest and think I've figured out where it might be but that seems more like something to do at a later stage when I have all of the map and Sheikah towers unlocked.

Also this,

https://twitter.com/erikiri_/status/1013140934282711040

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

95% of quests are given in towns. I don't think there's any that require you to randomly find a thing in the middle of nowhere that isn't by an immediately obvious landmark.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How substantial is the dlc? Been contemplating a replay and wasn't paying attention when it launched.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

victrix posted:

How substantial is the dlc? Been contemplating a replay and wasn't paying attention when it launched.

It's good! Like adding a fifth Divine Beast and associated shrines worth of content.

Plus a lot of treasure quests for cosmetic gear

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Put at least 30 hours into the game and I still havent done the first divine beast or unlocked the last tower. This game is staggeringly massive.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Put at least 30 hours into the game and I still havent done the first divine beast or unlocked the last tower. This game is staggeringly massive.

i'm 205 hours in and am strongly resisting the temptation to jump back in and keep scouring for the last few koroks and finish off all the miniquests. the sheer amount of hike times and adventuring you can do in this game is terrific

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guys. The Zelda Encyclopedia is the truth, and is only like $25 on Amazon.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Amppelix posted:

95% of quests are given in towns. I don't think there's any that require you to randomly find a thing in the middle of nowhere that isn't by an immediately obvious landmark.

Stables, too - there’s usually a couple per stable. Just riding a horse through roads in the empty bits gives you names of places, random encounters with NPCs and treasure chest dings if you’ve got your sensor tuned to them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Rito village is extremely cool and chill and I'd like a game where Link reincarnates as a bird person.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Caidin posted:

Rito village is extremely cool and chill and I'd like a game where Link reincarnates as a bird person.

rito music best music

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Stables, too - there’s usually a couple per stable. Just riding a horse through roads in the empty bits gives you names of places, random encounters with NPCs and treasure chest dings if you’ve got your sensor tuned to them.

Oh yeah pro tip if you want to find activities: actually follow the roads. They were placed there by the game designers to naturally lead you to interesting sights and cool poo poo. I've seen many a player miss tons of stuff because the climbing system existing means that have to constantly be going over everything and on top of every single high point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah pro tip if you want to find activities: actually follow the roads. They were placed there by the game designers to naturally lead you to interesting sights and cool poo poo. I've seen many a player miss tons of stuff because the climbing system existing means that have to constantly be going over everything and on top of every single high point.

The best path is a full speed sprint and climb over everything. I came into zoras domain from the north. The desert from the south east, ruto from the south west and goron from the north east.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Caidin posted:

But because the Rito have obviously been to the unreachable lands across the great canyons I believe that they are deliberately hiding secrets from all Hylians.

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING, RITO?! :mad:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

The best path is a full speed sprint and climb over everything. I came into zoras domain from the north. The desert from the south east, ruto from the south west and goron from the north east.

Oh yeah, that's fun too. I'm saying if you're deliberately looking for interesting things in the environment, most such things are placed along roads or in such a place that something will prompt you from to road to find it.

Most mountaintops have, uh, a single korok seed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ride the drat horses! It's fun!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
gently caress that, try to ride everything. See what works

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Oh yeah, that's fun too. I'm saying if you're deliberately looking for interesting things in the environment, most such things are placed along roads or in such a place that something will prompt you from to road to find it.

Most mountaintops have, uh, a single korok seed.

Unless you are traveling shrine to shrine and tower to tower for fast travel points random exploring can quickly become frustrating if you get stuck or die too far away. Also, without weather gear or enough stamina you end up stuck in an un-fun situation where you can't easily move up or down and all you can do is fast travel.

The road is designed to take you safely to all the stables and major towns, where you have quest gossip, a nearby shrine for fast travel, and an almost 100% chance of running into beedle to sell/buy what you need. Most stables also have level appropriate weapons and equipment. There's basically a guarantee of 3-4 decent weapons including hammers, leaves, and axes. Add into 10+ consumables like apples and herbs they make a great quick re-supply for essentials if you literally lost everything.

There are a lot of towers and shrines along the path too, plus the random encounters like saving NPC's under attack, Yiga merchants, a lot of korok seeds a short distance away.

With that being said, it's not really the ideal way to play the first time. The first time I played I completely ignored the road and just struggled from place to place dying constantly to superior groups of enemies and barely had enough stamina to climb the more difficult towers. It was still an incredible experience of exploration and discovery that no game has ever matched.

Also, they're never going to be cheap anymore, but 3-5 amiibos are a quick way to resupply basic weapons rather then fast travel to and from known weapon stashes. The NFC cards and programmer are cheaper then buy 2 Zelda amiibos Either that or farming Hyrule castle, but until you get skilled at the mechanics it can be like beating your head against a wall.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 2, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's two specific spots that just poo poo out good weapons, one previously mentioned and one /!\ :siren: SPOILERS :siren: /!\ at this location which is hidden in the cave, which you get into behind some rocks. There's nothing super end game in that location but it's a nice source of beater weapons if you feel like getting enough resources to not worry too much before taking out some camps.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's two specific spots that just poo poo out good weapons, one previously mentioned and one /!\ :siren: SPOILERS :siren: /!\ at this location which is hidden in the cave, which you get into behind some rocks. There's nothing super end game in that location but it's a nice source of beater weapons if you feel like getting enough resources to not worry too much before taking out some camps.

I knew it was going to be that exact place before I clicked :) It's probably been said a billion times but that map is literally the most useful resource on the internet for this game. It just can't be overstated how helpful it is.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

victrix posted:

It's pretty weak overall, the best part of the DLC is that the shrines the second DLC adds because they're better than any in the base game. The Trial of the Sword is equivalent to the Cave of Challenges, but it doesn't bring anything new with it; so it's all of the same enemies you've seen before in different configurations for you to take out. The dungeon that comes with the second DLC is as good as the rest of the main four dungeons, which some people (myself included) weren't big fans of. All of the DLC armor in that gets added with the DLC look amazing... but none of it is upgradable so it becomes useless for a late game save. Also the majority of the content of the second DLC can't be accessed unless you've beaten the other four dungeons.

If you don't get the DLC you really won't be missing all that much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s definitely worth it if you’re someone that’s replaying the game. There’s like 10 hours of extra content.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m on my first playthrough and I have the DLC. Whats a good armor set to go for? So far I only got the masks.

Also, wheres a good spot to farm for a good shield and 1h weapon? I’m not finding many of these.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The guardian labrynth in the NE corner is a perfect place to plop your teleportation sigil (or just warp to the shrine) to farm guardians every blood moon. Then you can buy guardian weapons forever.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChocNitty posted:

I’m on my first playthrough and I have the DLC. Whats a good armor set to go for? So far I only got the masks.

Also, wheres a good spot to farm for a good shield and 1h weapon? I’m not finding many of these.

Probably the phantom armour (phantom as in hourglass, not as in Ganon. It’s decently protective compared to un-upgraded good stuff and gives an attack bonus. Tingle armour ups your speed at night as a set bonus, which is useful on occasion but kind of meh.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress that, try to ride everything. See what works

The best part is how there's an entire Shrine where you can only enter it after realizing this fact.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

The best part is how there's an entire Shrine where you can only enter it after realizing this fact.

the clue makes it obvious what you're supposed to do but once it does you kinda have an AAAAAAAA moment and you go from eating all the trees to trying to mount all the things.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Newbie's trip update: Got bored of Shrine hunting the South, South East, and East regions. I'm quite sure I've found most in those regions as I had about 50 found. I took the thread's advice and followed some paths and as hinted at previously, made my way to Robbie's lab in the Akkala region. I also started Tarrey Town because why not? Tarrey Town's given me a good reason to venture out to areas previously visited, it was fun going back to the Gerudo Desert again. I tackled Mt.Doom which while fun... Goron City seems to be a bit of a dearth of side quests. That may be my own fault as after tackling the dungeon I couldn't see much reason to hang around other than more Shrine hunting, which I'm taking a break from for the time being. Blindly going to the Gerudo Desert and taking on everything there as my first area of exploration when starting this game was clearly a mistake. I'm still enjoying the game but I really do feel over powered and the Zora and Goron regions have felt a bit underwhelming after doing everything in the desert. Maybe because its so open?

That aside, everything was redeemed when I took the trip to the Lost Woods. Nintendo executed this superbly. Its not perfect, I think they could be much more forgiving with the fog reset as it did feel like there was a strict path to follow otherwise NOPE back to the beginning you go. The atmosphere is there and due to the size at times I did think if the fog reset wasn't there I could have fun wandering around but would probably end up getting genuinely lost (Why not replace fog reset with shutting off the map like in the desert?) and possibly encountering high level mobs. Anyway, I found it to be a really fun area but again it felt like a short stay.

I'd like to agree with the thread in that there is no 'wrong' way to play but should anybody else pick this up in future I would say don't do the desert first and try being a completionist before leaving, otherwise other areas can feel a bit "meh" at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Newbie's trip update: Got bored of Shrine hunting the South, South East, and East regions. I'm quite sure I've found most in those regions as I had about 50 found. I took the thread's advice and followed some paths and as hinted at previously, made my way to Robbie's lab in the Akkala region. I also started Tarrey Town because why not? Tarrey Town's given me a good reason to venture out to areas previously visited, it was fun going back to the Gerudo Desert again. I tackled Mt.Doom which while fun... Goron City seems to be a bit of a dearth of side quests. That may be my own fault as after tackling the dungeon I couldn't see much reason to hang around other than more Shrine hunting, which I'm taking a break from for the time being. Blindly going to the Gerudo Desert and taking on everything there as my first area of exploration when starting this game was clearly a mistake. I'm still enjoying the game but I really do feel over powered and the Zora and Goron regions have felt a bit underwhelming after doing everything in the desert. Maybe because its so open?

That aside, everything was redeemed when I took the trip to the Lost Woods. Nintendo executed this superbly. Its not perfect, I think they could be much more forgiving with the fog reset as it did feel like there was a strict path to follow otherwise NOPE back to the beginning you go. The atmosphere is there and due to the size at times I did think if the fog reset wasn't there I could have fun wandering around but would probably end up getting genuinely lost (Why not replace fog reset with shutting off the map like in the desert?) and possibly encountering high level mobs. Anyway, I found it to be a really fun area but again it felt like a short stay.

I'd like to agree with the thread in that there is no 'wrong' way to play but should anybody else pick this up in future I would say don't do the desert first and try being a completionist before leaving, otherwise other areas can feel a bit "meh" at times.

if you liked the fog, maybe you'll like a certain shrine quest shrouded in dark. It can be found to the west of mt doom, north of lost forest