Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s making me picture a Fresh Prince Salo dream sequence with Uncle Phil as the “mangia!” guy. So many missed opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hold onto your butts, because I’m about to knock the Criterion release of Night of the Living Dead (a little).

1. Whoever thought it was a good idea to pack in the essay booklet as a fold-up mini-poster rather than as, you know, a booklet, might be an idiot.

2. The features on the Blu-ray are neat, but not exhaustive - I’ve got a really classy DVD release that has a ton of features that I wish were ported over to the Criterion, but I’m not sure any of them were. Here’s a photo of the DVD:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hector Beerlioz posted:

who put salo in the n section smh

... a masochist?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Hold onto your butts, because I’m about to knock the Criterion release of Night of the Living Dead (a little).

1. Whoever thought it was a good idea to pack in the essay booklet as a fold-up mini-poster rather than as, you know, a booklet, might be an idiot.

2. The features on the Blu-ray are neat, but not exhaustive - I’ve got a really classy DVD release that has a ton of features that I wish were ported over to the Criterion, but I’m not sure any of them were. Here’s a photo of the DVD:

I really wish they'd do more perfect bound books, though apparently they're rare because of the expense of printing two sizes. When they were doing dual format, they were including bigger booklets on nearly everything.

Galleries can be a lot of fun, too, but I'd imagine they're blowing most of their budgets on all these stellar restorations. NOTLD was probably a gamble since it's public domain and Mill Creek sniped them with a garbage quality release just a few months before their release. Though, it does look like it might have become one of their biggest sellers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Picked up blu of Squid and the Whale, Solaris, Persona, and Certified Copy.

Looked for blu of The New World, Women In Love, and Midnight Cowboy but they were out. I'll make another visit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is the Mishima Blu-ray region locked?

I'm getting conflicting information from different sites.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Meh, my local B&N was a little picked over, but they at least had King of Jazz :sax:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is the Mishima Blu-ray region locked?

I'm getting conflicting information from different sites.

I think it got a concurrent US and UK Blu, so maybe not? Arrow encodes for A and B on theirs unless it’s UK exclusive.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I scored NotLD (duh) and Silence of the Lambs. I wanted to get Shoah and their inventory said they had one, but two employees and I scoured the shelves like twice and couldn’t find it. I could have ordered it but I’ll just wait for now and check back, apparently the sale is going until August 6th.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
For some reason Scanners is still showing 4% off, is there anyway for me to send a ticket? I want it cheap, dammit!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Picked up the Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro set, which I've had my eye on for awhile.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Y’all, The Young Girls of Rochefort is SO GOOD. Holy poo poo.

I liked Cherbourg, but this is on another level.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Went into a fugue state upon entering Barnes and Noble and left with:

The Red Shoes
The Battle of Algiers
Ace in the Hole
The Gold Rush
Gate of Hell
The Great Beauty
Day for Night
Meantime
Election
Baal

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
Ordered these online:
- Silence of the Lambs
- Ali: Fear Eats the soul
- A Man Escaped
- Naked

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I pulled the trigger on Seven Samurai and Dazed & Confused. I hope I don’t succumb to any more. My will is weak.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I pulled the trigger on Seven Samurai and Dazed & Confused. I hope I don’t succumb to any more. My will is weak.

I first bought For All Mankind and Solaris during a sale seven (!) years ago and now I have 90+ titles, including the Zatoichi set and a bunch of Eclipse I still haven't dug into.

It's a slippery slope. :getin:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

oneforthevine posted:

Y’all, The Young Girls of Rochefort is SO GOOD. Holy poo poo.

I liked Cherbourg, but this is on another level.

You watch Donkey Skin, yet?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That cover on the Naked blu-ray!

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Ratedargh posted:

You watch Donkey Skin, yet?

Foolishly, I only got the two standalone releases instead of the set. I may get it anyway and try selling the ones I’ve got later. I hear Donkey Skin’s bizarre.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Brood
Don't Look Now

- It's been decades since I saw them, and I never saw Don't Look Now in its entirety (though I do remember the ending....)

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

oneforthevine posted:

Foolishly, I only got the two standalone releases instead of the set. I may get it anyway and try selling the ones I’ve got later. I hear Donkey Skin’s bizarre.

I caught it on FilmStruck and it’s one of the absolute strangest films I’ve ever seen (but in the best way). I too bought the standalones and regret it badly

Cherbourg is amazing and probably the better film but I agree with the earlier poster- Young Girls is just a joy from start to finish and it’s certainly the one I’ll watch more often

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wizchine posted:

The Brood
Don't Look Now

- It's been decades since I saw them, and I never saw Don't Look Now in its entirety (though I do remember the ending....)

Don't Look Now is phenomenal on blu ray. Venice and the overall production design really pop in a way that I imagine probably wasn't possible on older formats.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Went with what I thought was a big haul before I encountered what you maniacs are up to:

Allan King Eclipse
F for Fake
Cameraperson
Samurai Trilogy

I am so pumped for Andrei Rublev later this year.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, I forgot to pick up F for Fake. I might have to wait until payday on Friday.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
F for Float A Check

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

F for Flat Out Broke After this Sale

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

oneforthevine posted:

It's such a good box set, and Donkey Skin is absolutely bananas. I almost got the standalone of Umbrellas, but saw a special screening of Donkey Skin at the Royal Cinema in Toronto...good thing I did. Rochefort is also my favourite, but Donkey Skin is so much fun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Argh, no one seems to carry The Color of Pomegranates on Blu. Either not at all or just the DVD. Also, the one I went to today taunted me with the sight of a dozen copies of the Dietrich/Von Sternberg set behind the counter.

Ended up picking up Blow Out since I've wanted to see more DePalma and it's gotten a zillion recommendations here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i went in for 5 and ended up with 6 because i am incapable of moderation:

Virgin Suicides
Tokyo Drifter
Rififi
Solaris
In the Mood for Love
Night of the Hunter

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Rififi owns so hard and just shows how lovely modern cinema is. There’s no way you could do a movie now where there’s like a half hour w no dialogue. Just a great film.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Rififi owns so hard and just shows how lovely modern cinema is. There’s no way you could do a movie now where there’s like a half hour w no dialogue. Just a great film.

I can think of at least five big movies that have done that in the past 10 years.

Edit: I haven't seen Rififi though so maybe I am misunderstanding you

Toebone fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 3, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I ended up getting:

Silence of the Lambs
The Vanishing
The Phantom Carriage
Lady Snowblood

also I ordered NotLD because my B&N was sold out. I shouldn't buy any more, but if they still have F for Fake in stock I might pick that up too. And maybe A Hard Day's Night. Or The Seventh Seal. Or Rififi or or... please help, my family is dying

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Toebone posted:

I can think of at least five big movies that have done that in the past 10 years.

Edit: I haven't seen Rififi though so maybe I am misunderstanding you

There are a lot of films that are so fresh and exciting and vivid that you watch them and then despair that more movies aren’t like that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just saving money over here by staring at the criterions (criteria?) that I haven't watched yet and pretending I just got them in the sale.
Someone make sure to play them for my skeleton after I go.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Space Fish posted:

Just saving money over here by staring at the criterions (criteria?) that I haven't watched yet and pretending I just got them in the sale.
Someone make sure to play them for my skeleton after I go.

No no, that's the stuff they use to determine which movies they need to preserve.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I just rewatched Brazil for the first time in years and it's one of those movies that just amazes me by simply existing. The level of detail Gilliam put into creating this world is just insane. A lot of great casting, too. Thank God Robert DeNiro didn't play Jack Lint because it's ten times as disturbing having Michael Palin play a "family man" who spends his days torturing people. And I never noticed how his smock and the sink are covered with blood when Sam visits his office for the first time. :stare:

Also, I'm covering Criterions in my "vacation" thread if anyone wants to read random musings. Criterion really needs to keep including Tom Snyder and Dick Cavett episodes as extras because they're amazing. Rebecca has one with Snyder interviewing Alfred Hitchcock. Hitch spends ten minutes trying to explain Cockney rhyming slang. :v:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Does the Cassavetes set have the Dick Cavett Husbands interview? I know the movie isn’t in the set but that interview is like its own Cassavetes film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Went shopping with a buddy and couldn’t help myself. Grabbed The Lure and F for Fake, both blind buys.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Went shopping with a buddy and couldn’t help myself. Grabbed The Lure and F for Fake, both blind buys.

The Lure owns. I hate musicals but that movie owns.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rififi's heist scene is one of cinema's best, if not the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I went back to B&N to pick up NotLD and ended up buying the Zatoichi set too. This thing is beautiful.