Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Point, though it would also make sense that Scrooge continues to purchase stuff from a supplier whose stuff actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Doofus was voiced by the guy who plays Bevers in Broad City, which makes too much sense.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, seems like the first time so far we have a robot that actually works as designed until sabotaged. Going by the numbers, it's possibly made by the same manufacturer as Scrooge's security system.

Am I crazy or was that robot an homage to Maximilian from The Black Hole?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

howe_sam posted:

Am I crazy or was that robot an homage to Maximilian from The Black Hole?

It reminded me of Gir a little bit, but that was probably just a “robot with green eyes that turn red in serious mode” thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's just a mix of generic cartoon robot designs (coulda been a Dr Eggman design if it was a little more whimsical), with some specific ED-209 references when it fails to register compliance. (and the obvious CG recalls the stop-motion ED-209, maybe)

Apparently, part of what made Doofus Drake so creepy is that, before his true nature becomes obvious, all of his lines could have been said by the original. The key to making a creepy Doofus Drake is not to adapt him at all.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Going back to the Magica origin story, I managed to track it down. From Uncle $crooge issue 36 (1961), I hope it's OK to post these pages, if not I'll remove them.

And the rest is history.

So yes, she'd already won. She had already obtained what she came for, but she just had to self-sabotage by trying to steal that one specific coin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It may or may not have been mentioned she once used time travel to acquire the dime shortly after a young Scrooge first earned it, but then realised that it not being in Scrooge's hands throughout his ascent would mean it's nothing more than an old coin, so she has to give it back.

Like I said, the episode specifically showed that's how sympathetic magic works, Webby was able to use the friendship bracelets as a focus because of their meaning to herself and Lena. (also might go well with some Eastern ideas, Japan basically has an entire category of magical creatures/entities that are a mundane creature/object that's managed to survive for 100 years)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's just a mix of generic cartoon robot designs (coulda been a Dr Eggman design if it was a little more whimsical), with some specific ED-209 references when it fails to register compliance. (and the obvious CG recalls the stop-motion ED-209, maybe)

I suppose whenever I see a floaty robot with spinning blade hands I think Maximillian

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mikl posted:

And the rest is history.

So yes, she'd already won. She had already obtained what she came for, but she just had to self-sabotage by trying to steal that one specific coin.

Thanks for posting these.

Magica really did have a pretty good plan going there, too bad she got just a little too greedy and gave up guaranteed wealth and fortune for a chance at hypothetically greater riches. A dime in the hand is worth two in Scrooge's wallet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Although it seems hinted that the de Spells have a long family feud with the McDucks in this incarnation, one that at least Lena wants nothing to do with.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mikl posted:

Going back to the Magica origin story, I managed to track it down. From Uncle $crooge issue 36 (1961), I hope it's OK to post these pages, if not I'll remove them.

And the rest is history.

I'd just like to voice my problem with all four of those pages. About 90% of those sentences and statements end in an exclamation point and it's kinda hard to read.

Why was this a thing... I think only Disney did this too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'd just like to voice my problem with all four of those pages. About 90% of those sentences and statements end in an exclamation point and it's kinda hard to read.

Why was this a thing... I think only Disney did this too.

Never read old comic books? Subtlety was a word not in their vocabulary.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Never read old comic books? Subtlety was a word not in their vocabulary.

One theory I heard was that editors thought that periods would be too hard to see in that print quality, so they'd use exclamation points instead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like that she's only interested in that dime because it's the one he touched most often.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wait, does this episode not include the kids?

Just the opposite actually, the episode is all about the kids and Scrooge makes no appearance (apart from a cardboard cutout that is). Also, I'm guessing I missed the Gummi Bears cameo. Where was it?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Just the opposite actually, the episode is all about the kids and Scrooge makes no appearance (apart from a cardboard cutout that is). Also, I'm guessing I missed the Gummi Bears cameo. Where was it?

Pretty sure that's in next week's episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure that's in next week's episode.

Oh ok, I didn't watch the preview clip so I assumed they were talking about this week's episode. Nevermind then.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Ludwig von Drake! SHUSH! FOWL! :woop:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Gummi Bears references were unexpected :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It was basically an episode full of semi-deep cuts. We're definitely gonna get a Talespin episode eventually with Scrooge in that era with Launchpad's dad. Alternatively, time travel.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Pakled posted:

Well, magic and mystery is part of the history.

Guess the juice works the same way on all anthropomorphic animals.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pakled posted:

I especially liked when Heron started quoting the theme song. But the reference I really wasn't expecting was the giant bouncy ball from The Prisoner. It was thematically appropriate to the episode, though, come to think of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I especially liked when Heron started quoting the theme song. But the reference I really wasn't expecting was the giant bouncy ball from The Prisoner. It was thematically appropriate to the episode, though, come to think of it.

A giant bouncy ball with a bowler hat! Which disturbingly, Webby can identify by brand and style.

Also amused that Robot 3 waited all these years to avenge Robot 4.

Actually, been a bit of a meta theme in a few recent episode of Scrooge returning to unfinished adventures from his past that make heavy reference to old stories and shows from the past. The golden lagoon adventure is a bit of a twofer given it's in reference to a story that was already a prequel 50 years ago set 50 years before, while the Case Files of Agent 22 episode specifically has a past adventure compared and contrasted with the present while making reference to 80s/90s cartoons. And both compare the younger Scrooge to his current self on the second go around.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 8, 2018

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And Scrooge was wearing a recolour of Number 6’s jacket!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My only disappointment is that there wasn't a 60s remix of the Gummi Bears theme after Webby drank the juice

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone know what the binary reading Jki refers to?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Scrooge starts every morning with a cup of nutmeg tea? That explains some things.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Test Pattern posted:

Scrooge starts every morning with a cup of nutmeg tea? That explains some things.

Does it? Is there something special about nutmeg? Okay apparently nutmeg is poisonous in really, really high doses. But Scrooge is reusing that teabag. Probably since decades. There's just water in that cup.

By the way, it sounded kinda weird how Webby said her favorite drink is juice. That's so ridiculously unspecific. But I guess, they needed that for the later scene.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does it? Is there something special about nutmeg? Okay apparently nutmeg is poisonous in really, really high doses. But Scrooge is reusing that teabag. Probably since decades. There's just water in that cup.

"Ahh I can taste the savings."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm pretty sure they said he's had Beakley only using it for the past month in the episode.

Whether he buys a new box of teabags every several years, or just cycles through the same box over and over again is an open question.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
During the briefing I was thinking, "Great Book hmm"..."Dunwyn?!"

maltesh posted:

Well, magic and mystery is part of the history.

Guess the juice works the same way on all anthropomorphic animals.

Nope. Ducktales characters are (for the most part)human. My guess would be that it's a different formula resulting from the collaboration mentioned on the last page.

I really liked what they did with Goldie too. This show is knocking it out of the park.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

eatenmyeyes posted:

Nope. Ducktales characters are (for the most part)human. My guess would be that it's a different formula resulting from the collaboration mentioned on the last page.

What?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Using a single drop of milk is what stood out to me, the rest of the milk would go off long before he makes a dent in it. Then again Beakley and Webby and the boys probably just drink the rest. And maybe Scrooge just likes his tea with the tiniest amount of milk in it. Probably makes him nostalgic for his cowboy days.

maltesh posted:

I'm pretty sure they said he's had Beakley only using it for the past month in the episode.

Whether he buys a new box of teabags every several years, or just cycles through the same box over and over again is an open question.

He bought a discounted crate of nutmeg teabags in 1978 and has been going through them ever since.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Using a single drop of milk is what stood out to me, the rest of the milk would go off long before he makes a dent in it. Then again Beakley and Webby and the boys probably just drink the rest. And maybe Scrooge just likes his tea with the tiniest amount of milk in it. Probably makes him nostalgic for his cowboy days.

I would assume he would just keep drinking it even if it expired.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I liked the episode, but did anyone else notice the uneven animation? Overly fluid in some places, jerky in others, then that weird shot in the lair where it begins static and the camera starts drifting about two seconds before it cuts to the next shot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would assume he would just keep drinking it even if it expired.

Scrooge is thrifty, but not full on hoarder. The episode in the Money Bin did establish he actually spends a ton of money on organisation and maintenance of it. (that said, his mansion's garage was filled with unorganised relics of adventures in the pilot, so he clearly hasn't been taking care of organising for a while. Probably since Duckworth died.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I love this show's depiction of Scrooge's thriftiness. He's not some insane person about it, he's just a cheap dude.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I love this show's depiction of Scrooge's thriftiness. He's not some insane person about it, he's just a cheap dude.

Yeah that's often a huge problem I have with Scrooge in the comics, they massively overdo his thriftiness to the point where it is insane, and often to the comic's detriment too

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/TannerTrue/status/1016142121957408768?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I love that Glomgold would totally take that gig just for the chance to nose around Scrooge's house and maybe make his daily effort to kill Scrooge just a little easier. Not that he wouldn't immediately make it even harder by over-complicating whatever scheme he hatches based around definite access to the manor.