Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Monkey Island 4 was as good as the rest of them up until Monkey Kombat imo, sure the story was dumb but most of the jokes were still pretty solid

The swamp was preeeeetty fuckin' bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The swamp is one of the better puzzles.

I'm replaying it for the first time in years and it's worse than I remember. I don't think any of the characters introduced in this game are at all likable.

Edit: Now if you want a lovely puzzle try the lava boat. I've failed the loving thing 10 times so far today.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 26, 2018

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Twobirds posted:

It's kinda corny, but the developer of Cultist Simulator was getting bugged to implement cloud saves on Steam, and noted it's on the agenda but usually isn't easy to just add features.

So the guy from GOG messaged him about it preemptively.

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1011191240468127744

This lead me to Judas Iscariot's Twitter, which lead me to this hilarious thread by the Paradigm dev. Never read the refund notes as a point and click dev.

https://twitter.com/ParadigmGame/status/999981119033327616

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

gently caress these lovely rear end reCaptchas god drat

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Myst 3 and Myst 4 have made their digital distribution debut, and the rest of the series is on sale with a heavy discount.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

The Kins posted:

Myst 3 and Myst 4 have made their digital distribution debut, and the rest of the series is on sale with a heavy discount.

For those that like adventure games but haven't played these I think they're pretty good. Myst 4 is my guilty pleasure favorite of the Myst series. It's basically the height of the prerendered graphics era. It's got an amazing soundtrack. The puzzles actually do a decent job of integrating into their environment. Also they actually manage to give the characters more personality and motivation than the rest of the series ever did.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what do the Ultima games play like? Are they closer to The Witcher or Final Fantasy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what do the Ultima games play like? Are they closer to The Witcher or Final Fantasy?

Neither really, but they're top down and and turn based, if I had to pick one of those two they're definitely closer to Final Fantasy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Slam your dick in a drawer for 1-4.
Slam your dick in a padded drawer for 5 & 6.
7 is easy.
8 sucks.
Let's not talk about 9.

Start with 4 or 6 imo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The game's continuity really begins with U4, since U1 to U3 were much more primitive in terms of plot.

Play U6 with Nuvie, play U7 with Exult.

U7 is split into two parts. After you finish The Black Gate and before you start The Serpent Isle, you should play Ultima Underworld II. For the Serpent Isle, since it was kinda rushed to meet deadlines, you should seek out the Serpent Isle Fixes mod for Exult.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ultima 1-3 are the sort of really rough, amateur-like games where they're absolutely trivial if you know what to do but you can be flailing around uselessly for hours upon hours if you don't and the world isn't quite interesting enough until 4 for that to be fun.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cat Mattress posted:

The game's continuity really begins with U4, since U1 to U3 were much more primitive in terms of plot.

Play U6 with Nuvie, play U7 with Exult.

U7 is split into two parts. After you finish The Black Gate and before you start The Serpent Isle, you should play Ultima Underworld II. For the Serpent Isle, since it was kinda rushed to meet deadlines, you should seek out the Serpent Isle Fixes mod for Exult.

U4 has one of my absolute favourite plots for an RPG, but 7 is probably what most people think of, when they think Ultima.

U7 also has an incredibly engrossing story, and so, so many enjoyable characters and locales to visit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What makes Ultima IX bad? I notice that it has really good graphics for 1999. Perhaps only surpassed by Shenmue.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

U5 and 6 supremacy

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What makes Ultima IX bad? I notice that it has really good graphics for 1999. Perhaps only surpassed by Shenmue.
It's rushed, buggy, poorly balanced, badly written, linear in unexpected ways, and is a disaster resulting from years of development hell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It also has the reveal that you doomed the world to destruction by trying to become a better person back in Ultima IV.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There's nothing in Ultima IX that isn't done much better in other games. The small amount of value it has back in the day was simply a large somewhat free form 3d world.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SelenicMartian posted:

It's rushed, buggy, poorly balanced, badly written, linear in unexpected ways, and is a disaster resulting from years of development hell.

"What's a paladin?"

The saddest thing about Ultima IX is that the original version of it didn't look that bad (at least from the few screenshots of it that exist), and the original plot sounded a lot better (if a little weird and silly in some cases).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
You know, I've always wondered about why didn't they just re-use the Ultima Online engine for IX (and kept the original idea for the story) instead of constantly trying to get ahead of the technological curve at a time when 3D was still very rough.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I could be confusing Ultima IX with Might & Magic 9, since both were horrible final chapters* of respected and treasured RPG series, but I'm fairly sure that there is a huge fan patch out there that fixes the game up to be a solid and playable, if lacklustre, game. It's worth mentioning for anyone who was put off by all the bugs and jankiness of the game instead of the fact that the devs essentially pissed all over something that they loved.

*I am aware of Might and Magic X, but that came much, much later and was something of a surprise.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wielder posted:

You know, I've always wondered about why didn't they just re-use the Ultima Online engine for IX (and kept the original idea for the story) instead of constantly trying to get ahead of the technological curve at a time when 3D was still very rough.

I mean that's kinda mid-to-late 90s game development in a nutshell. Trying to do things just because the tech exists rather than it being a good idea or good fit for your game

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I could be confusing Ultima IX with Might & Magic 9, since both were horrible final chapters* of respected and treasured RPG series, but I'm fairly sure that there is a huge fan patch out there that fixes the game up to be a solid and playable, if lacklustre, game. It's worth mentioning for anyone who was put off by all the bugs and jankiness of the game instead of the fact that the devs essentially pissed all over something that they loved.

*I am aware of Might and Magic X, but that came much, much later and was something of a surprise.
I don't know for certain, but my heart is telling me it's M&M9, because the story of Ultima 9 is the worst part, by a longshot. MM9 is a bad game, but it's nowhere near as personally offensive as Ultima 9.

MM9 uses lithtek for fucksake. Blood 2, Shogo, NOLF, and Might and Magic. What the hell. Much easier to mod i'm sure.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 1, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone able to get wing commander or the x wing games to run with a modern joystick? Is it worth giving a shot?

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
They worked just fine out of the box with my CH stick. Didn't even have to mess around with any software.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Am I the only person here who likes Might and Magic 9? I'm not going to say it's a great game, but I liked the dungeons for the most part. The soundtrack was also decent. I replayed it a couple of years ago and had a good time with it even if it does kind of fall apart at the end.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Am I the only person here who likes Might and Magic 9? I'm not going to say it's a great game, but I liked the dungeons for the most part. The soundtrack was also decent. I replayed it a couple of years ago and had a good time with it even if it does kind of fall apart at the end.

Most people who dislike 9 haven't played it. Welcome to the internet I guess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Might and Magic 9 is fine enough when it's modded; it's not a great game and it's not close to 6 or 7 but when patched it's roughly the equivalent of 8. The big problem with M&M9 is that they were really ambitious but the publisher was on its knees and desperately needed a win so it was released in an unfinished state.

Wizards & Warriors was of course better but we're never getting a re-release of that.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 2, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Testekill posted:

Wizards & Warriors was of course better but we're never getting a re-release of that.

Why's that? I know D.W. Bradley worked on that game leaving Sir-Tech (unless I'm mixing that up with another game.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Testekill posted:

Might and Magic 9 is fine enough when it's modded; it's not a great game and it's not close to 6 or 7 but when patched it's roughly the equivalent of 8. The big problem with M&M9 is that they were really ambitious but the publisher was on its knees and desperately needed a win so it was released in an unfinished state.

I take a little bit of an issue with that. I think that eight is a pretty good game that inevitably gets compared to its predecessor, 7, which is generally the most beloved of the latter M&M games. I maintain that putting it up against 9, which had serious issues, is kind of taking the piss. You're entitled to your opinion, and I admit that my saying that 8 is my personal favourite puts me in the minority, but I think that this is some pretty serious hyperbole. Just to clarify, I know that you said patched 9, but I stand by my statement.

Testekill posted:

A very good game and you are, sadly, probably right about ever seeing it for sale again, but I will say that I will put nothing past GOG since they brought back System Shock 2. If they could get that back, they can do anything. I will also say that I was able to find a version of the game that runs on Windows 7 x64 with minimal grief, if anyone cares to try. I refuse to apologise for :filez: when it concerns a game that the creators don't care enough to sell or refuse to sort out the ownership of, viz No One Lives Forever.

Edit: Thought that there was a :nolf: Smiley; sadly not.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GOG is awesome; but where the gently caress is Mechwarrior 1-4? I hope 5 is good and supports VR.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

GOG is awesome; but where the gently caress is Mechwarrior 1-4? I hope 5 is good and supports VR.

Probably beside Crimson Skies in Microsoft’s vault.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

A very good game and you are, sadly, probably right about ever seeing it for sale again, but I will say that I will put nothing past GOG since they brought back System Shock 2. If they could get that back, they can do anything. I will also say that I was able to find a version of the game that runs on Windows 7 x64 with minimal grief, if anyone cares to try. I refuse to apologise for :filez: when it concerns a game that the creators don't care enough to sell or refuse to sort out the ownership of, viz No One Lives Forever.

Edit: Thought that there was a :nolf: Smiley; sadly not.

If it's possible, can you post a link, or at least point me in the direction of where I might find the download at? I might not check out right now, but I'd like to know where I could grab it in the future, along with instructions on how to get it running on Win7 x64.

chaosapiant posted:

I think Harmony Gold has the death grip on the Mechwarrior games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kibayasu posted:

Probably beside Crimson Skies in Microsoft’s vault.

I forgot all about Crimson Skies! Never played it but remember reading the pc gamer review and thinking it looked dope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

If it's possible, can you post a link, or at least point me in the direction of where I might find the download at? I might not check out right now, but I'd like to know where I could grab it in the future, along with instructions on how to get it running on Win7 x64.

I think Harmony Gold has the death grip on the Mechwarrior games.

Mechwarrior 4's doesn't have any Unseen designs so that's actually possible (and the licensing's somewhat sane/traceable iirc), but anything older has Unseen designs and insane licensing in general. Especially 1 and 2.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

For the record, I :filez:-ed Crimson Skies for my modern hardware several years after my original disc was destroyed. If I recall right, it ran on Win7 without any real jiggering or cajoling.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So which M&M games you would recommend?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

RadicalR posted:

So which M&M games you would recommend?

3, 4, 5, or 6.

3 is a good straightforward rpg.
4 and 5 go together to make one big game and use the same engine as 3.
6 is the first M&M to use a real time 3d-ish engine. It's clunky as hell though. I loved it back in the day.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Basically never going to happen because of legal hell. To quote myself from a previous discussion on this:

Tempest_56 posted:

Yup. To go into things:

- All the games were licensed by FASA (shut down in 2001, properties sold to WizKids who are owned by Topps, then subcontracted out to FanPro then Catalyst Game Labs), via FASA Interactive (which was bought by Microsoft, shut down, then the IPs sold off to Smith & Tinker, who sold to Piranha Games).
- MW1 was by Dynamix, published by Activision (both part of Vivendi Universal, which in 2004 was mostly sold off to GE/NBC Universal). Most of its designs were part of the Unseen - designs that are in copyright dispute due to issues with the original Japanese artists/studios who made them and Harmony Gold. The SNES version was done by Beam Software (an Infogrames/Atari subsidiary, sold in 2006 to Krome Studios). The MechWarrior 3050 sequel was Tiburon Entertainment (now part of EA) and Activision (see above); the Genesis version was by Malibu Interactive/Extreme Entertainment Group, who I can't seem to find info on.
- MW2 (and MW: Mercenaries) was Activision (now Activision-Blizzard) and is probably the only one with a sane copyright string to follow.
- MW3 is by Microprose/Zipper Interactive, who were sold to Infogrames/Atari, and later sold to Legacy Engineering, and then to somebody called Cybergun (as best I can tell). Because we're looking at multiple studio collapses/acquisitions, anybody along the way could have the rights, or any of the other parties involved in ANY of those sales/mergers.
- MW4 (and MW4: Mercenaries and both MechCommander games) is FASA Interactive after it was acquired by Microsoft, so that's also semi-sane.
- The Crescent Hawk games were by Westwood (now absorbed by EA) and Infocom (part of Activision), and also feature the Unseen designs.

There's also the three early MMOs (Battletech: EGA, Battletech: Solaris, and Battletech 3025) that are probably lost forever, the terrible MechAssault games (under Microsoft's aegis and probably still their property) and there's currently five more games active/in development.

So several games are in copyright hell because nobody knows who has them (or they've got secondary concerns, like the Unseen). The ones we do know are owned by companies that aren't terribly GOG-friendly. And the entire thing is complicated by the original IP and the electronic IP being separated and both being sold/licensed/subcontracted out multiple times. It isn't quite NOLF-levels of trouble but it's unlikely.

Edit: And yes, Harmony Gold is SUPER aggressive with filing suits about anything that even vaguely resembles the Macross/Robotech stuff. They basically sue any project that's even slightly Battletech-related, and with debatably fair reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd suggest that needs a slight alteration, Tempest, just because Mechwarrior 2 is also rife with Unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Isn’t it entirely possible Harmony Gold does not, in fact, have the rights but no one has felt it was worth the time and money to hash that out?

I would Goddamn love it if they got Heavy Gear 1 and 2 on there. The first is a MW2 ripoff with some more customization and an infinite campaign mode as well as a story mode with cheesy as gently caress FMV. 2 is more of an FPS that nails the way Gears aren’t mechs, they’re more like powered armor. You’re a lot more nimble and there’s cool zero-g missions and poo poo.