Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oldstench posted:

3, 4, 5, or 6.

3 is a good straightforward rpg.
4 and 5 go together to make one big game and use the same engine as 3.
6 is the first M&M to use a real time 3d-ish engine. It's clunky as hell though. I loved it back in the day.

7 is 6, but easier to play and with more things to do. 6 is my personal favourite, but the sheer amount of stuff they managed to crank out in 7 does make it superior (That Arcomage minigame..!). It's like Heroes of Might and Magic 2-3; do you really, REALLY like good soundscapes and aesthetics, or do you prefer improved gameplay?

You really should play them all, you can't go wrong - But MM7 is the most modern and easiest to get into of them all. The plot can be seen as background noise for all games, but you do get to enjoy a tremendously detailed world that much more by playing from 3, at least.

Oh, and MM7 can be completed in a couple of weeks, which can't be said about the rest if you're a complete newcomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

7 locks spells behind skill levels, and proficiency trainers are a pain to find without a guide.
Plus, it tries to make classes different, so you can't have your mage be expert at knife fighting.

6 is perfect if you want to just gain levels, kill hundreds of goblins flying over them, and then carpet bomb the poo poo out of towns, gunning everyone down with laser rifles.
7's got all sorts of sanity checks and plots and restrictions.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

7 locks spells behind skill levels, and proficiency trainers are a pain to find without a guide.
Plus, it tries to make classes different, so you can't have your mage be expert at knife fighting.

6 is perfect if you want to just gain levels, kill hundreds of goblins flying over them, and then carpet bomb the poo poo out of towns, gunning everyone down with laser rifles.
7's got all sorts of sanity checks and plots and restrictions.

I completely agree; the freedom of 6 is one of the reasons that I love it. It follows the laws so eloquently set by Thuryl in her MM1-5 LPs: "An archer can swing his fireballs with the best of 'em."

But if you're just bumbling into dungeons, you're going to have a bad time in 6, as you can get literally lost in the bigger ones. 7 really is the one you would easier get into, as the same restrictions also factor into the level design.

E:

I seriously dislike the spell system in 7. Anything but GM in a spell school makes it almost completely useless, as even the basic spells get critically important components added to them at the last mastery stages. MM6 works, in the way that a mage can cast spells all day, whereas a hybrid like a paladin or archer does equally well, but burn out so much faster, if they do nothing but throw spells at things.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 2, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The best thing about 6 IMO was the real feeling of becoming powerful as new spells unlocked. Going from walking everywhere to walking on water to flying to just teleporting everywhere while raining hellish fiery doom on all comers was just the bees-knees.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As an addendum to my cries for MechWarrior on GOG, I also want to see the entire Earth/Starsiege/Tribes games released. If I'm not mistaken these are already freely available from the original devs, so why not give them a spit and polish for GOG?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Probably beside Crimson Skies in Microsoft’s vault.

One of my most played demo CDs! It had one level, but everything felt so good you could just hammer it over and over.

I got this feeling, that YOUNG PEOPLE today never experience this? Having a ton of demo discs with shareware and single level stuff you play over and over again, dreaming of how the full game might be like?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

As an addendum to my cries for MechWarrior on GOG, I also want to see the entire Earth/Starsiege/Tribes games released. If I'm not mistaken these are already freely available from the original devs, so why not give them a spit and polish for GOG?

Because it'd be a pointless competition against "they're freely available from the original devs" and not be worth the money and effort.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Max Wilco posted:

If it's possible, can you post a link, or at least point me in the direction of where I might find the download at? I might not check out right now, but I'd like to know where I could grab it in the future, along with instructions on how to get it running on Win7 x64.

I don't want to get in trouble for posting the link in the thread and you don't have Private Messages, so I'm at a loss.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

THE BAR posted:

E:

I seriously dislike the spell system in 7. Anything but GM in a spell school makes it almost completely useless, as even the basic spells get critically important components added to them at the last mastery stages.

see now that's just all wrong

Clinching the overmastery education rank on a spell school isn't all that it's cracked up to be, aside from accessing the end-all deathfuck spell it's mostly just nice perks to have. Buffs? Extended from situational next-few-fights boosts to all-day affairs. Mobility? That blue bar is no longer a fuel meter, just cast it once and fly for days even with a drained mana pool. Status ailments? Your spells will break that curse or insanity on your Knight even if you've let him sit drooling for over a week without doing anything. Damage spells? Another cooldown upgrade, all the brunt is in the spent skill points. The expert and mastery ranks have all the biggest and brightest updates on your spell effects.

There are some spells that turn from eh to absolutely earthmoving when moved to GM, though. Detect Life shows you the buffs enemy creatures have given themselves (why isn't this a standard feature?), Regeneration goes from an extremely cost-effective between-fights healing tool to outpacing enemies trying to hack you up, Protection from Magic finally starts blocking those mystery instakills from Minotaurs et. al., Invisibility goes from a tiny spurt to giving you the 10 hours of stealth you need to rob fortresses, Town Portal lets you escape active combat...

You can definitely have a strong party without anyone capable of grandmastering a magic school. The bigger problem is that means having no wizards or priests, which means none of the delicious Expert-and-up spells in Light and Dark schools.

I suppose it's possible to have a strong party with a mighty Druid as a primary spellcaster, an Archer or Paladin as desired to support and eventually wield the Light/Dark basic spells (of which all but the Dark's Shrink Ray are keyed to be enjoyed with big skill numbers, not ranks) and a library of spell scrolls to supplement those cases when you need a spell you just can't access otherwise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

The current rights-holder has them all up for free download, yes. I believe they're just the raw ISO files, although Tribes 2 includes instructions on how to get it running on the fan-run Tribes Next network.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

The current rights-holder has them all up for free download, yes. I believe they're just the raw ISO files, although Tribes 2 includes instructions on how to get it running on the fan-run Tribes Next network.

I think it’d be worth turning the ISOs into Win 10 supported installers with bonus goodies. I’d definitely pay $6-9 bucks for each one over downloading and messing with disc image files.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

THE BAR posted:

I got this feeling, that YOUNG PEOPLE today never experience this? Having a ton of demo discs with shareware and single level stuff you play over and over again, dreaming of how the full game might be like?

This reminds me - back in the day I found this tech demo called Art of Flying on a shareware CD that was sold with some stupid PC magazine. It was just flying around some monochrome voxel canyons and shooting other unarmed planes. There wasn't even a proper shooting animation, just a sound effect and a silent explosion. Spent hours playing this silly thing. No idea what it was or who made it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'd give away more than a few of my precious organs for some demo/shareware caches from the day

UK PC Gamer issues 20-40, the PC Powerplay published in the UK with no relation to the current Aussie variant and this "Dominator" series of shareware dumps published in Finland way back when are my holy grails

archive.org has given me much already, but the PC Gamer coverdisks are overrepresented by the yankee version's ones at a ratio of like 50 to one

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scamtank posted:

I'd give away more than a few of my precious organs for some demo/shareware caches from the day

UK PC Gamer issues 20-40, the PC Powerplay published in the UK with no relation to the current Aussie variant and this "Dominator" series of shareware dumps published in Finland way back when are my holy grails

archive.org has given me much already, but the PC Gamer coverdisks are overrepresented by the yankee version's ones at a ratio of like 50 to one

One of my personal treasures is one of those PC Gamer coverdisks that came with the full version of Independence War :swoon:. No accidental demo-with-full-assets, or anything like that, just the game proper legit and 'free' for the cost of the magazine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Now I'm remembering coconut monkey from the US PC gamer, and nothing will satisfy that nostalgia itch.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Did they ever finish developing Gravy Trader?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Now I'm remembering coconut monkey from the US PC gamer, and nothing will satisfy that nostalgia itch.

Oh god, remember his Quake 2 multiplayer maps that were insane gimmicks? like one with that was just a giant tunnel with spawn points at either end and a rail gun in the middle. or one where you spawn underwater and there's a ceiling keeping you underwater the whole time, you just try and kill as many people as you can before you drown.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd suggest that needs a slight alteration, Tempest, just because Mechwarrior 2 is also rife with Unseen.

I'm not sure I'd say rife - 2 (base, not GBL or Mercs) has only three. One (the Battlemaster) is unlockable-only and the other two (Marauder and Rifleman) only appear once each, I believe. (Though you're right, I did forget that when I originally wrote that bit.)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t it entirely possible Harmony Gold does not, in fact, have the rights but no one has felt it was worth the time and money to hash that out?

That's the fun part. They don't and that's fairly literally what has happened. That's one of the results of the current suit Harmony Gold has going against Catalyst/Piranha games/Harebrained Schemes currently - the court judged they don't have any rights to the artwork. They're still suing anyway under the judgment of "Nuh uh!" and expecting to money-bully their way through again. But that lawsuit's a wonderful bit of much longer drama that's not really relevant to this thread.

We still won't see any Mech* games any time soon, because the rest of the IP ownership is still in NOLF territory.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm not sure I'd say rife - 2 (base, not GBL or Mercs) has only three. One (the Battlemaster) is unlockable-only and the other two (Marauder and Rifleman) only appear once each, I believe. (Though you're right, I did forget that when I originally wrote that bit.)

That's the fun part. They don't and that's fairly literally what has happened. That's one of the results of the current suit Harmony Gold has going against Catalyst/Piranha games/Harebrained Schemes currently - the court judged they don't have any rights to the artwork. They're still suing anyway under the judgment of "Nuh uh!" and expecting to money-bully their way through again. But that lawsuit's a wonderful bit of much longer drama that's not really relevant to this thread.

We still won't see any Mech* games any time soon, because the rest of the IP ownership is still in NOLF territory.

The first part of this is accurate (HG is in the process of getting dickpunched by the courts over this because someone finally saw sense), but the BattleTech IP is actually pretty clear assuming we're talking about new games and not rereleasing old ones; Catalyst owns BattleTech outright, AFAIK.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

scamtank posted:

For the record, I :filez:-ed Crimson Skies for my modern hardware several years after my original disc was destroyed. If I recall right, it ran on Win7 without any real jiggering or cajoling.

Yeah, same here. May even have been Win 10. It used to not work for a couple of generations of video cards but now it does.

THE BAR posted:

One of my most played demo CDs! It had one level, but everything felt so good you could just hammer it over and over.

I probably had lots of games like that. In fact, many of the games I've bought from Gog have been games I played demos of, or only read reviews of in magazines when they came out but could never get a hold of. But one shareware in particular comes to mind. It was 3D space simulator, but set on a planet with small islands in a big ocean. You had all these weapons and flew around blowing up buildings. In the end you could attempt to dock with a mother ship flying high above. It was particularly cool because the geometry was destructible (voxels I guess?), you could literally blast your way through mountains.

"Somethingsomething 3000" was the name I believe.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, same here. May even have been Win 10. It used to not work for a couple of generations of video cards but now it does.

I probably had lots of games like that. In fact, many of the games I've bought from Gog have been games I played demos of, or only read reviews of in magazines when they came out but could never get a hold of. But one shareware in particular comes to mind. It was 3D space simulator, but set on a planet with small islands in a big ocean. You had all these weapons and flew around blowing up buildings. In the end you could attempt to dock with a mother ship flying high above. It was particularly cool because the geometry was destructible (voxels I guess?), you could literally blast your way through mountains.

I wanted to say Battlecruiser 3000AD, but I don't think that's it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Something like this?
https://www.mobygames.com/game/v2000

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I grew up on MechWarrior 3 as a kid. Yet I only hear people talk about 3 or 4. Was 3 the black sheep of the series or what?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I grew up on MechWarrior 3 as a kid. Yet I only hear people talk about 3 or 4. Was 3 the black sheep of the series or what?

It kind of was - I remember it getting crap for how easy it was to leg other mechs. I think one leg down would topple and kill the mech?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The main thing I remember about four was its really terrible revenge story and Mercenaries being awesome.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

THE BAR posted:

I wanted to say Battlecruiser 3000AD, but I don't think that's it.

Thankfully, no.

That looks a bit similar but this was older, it barely had any textures, must have been a DOS game. Not sure it even was a proper game, maybe it was some fancy demo that never saw an actual release.

Edit: Oh wait here it is! It looks worse than I remember but that's definitely the style. http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star-fighter-3000

Check out that sweet destructible terrain.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 2, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oldstench posted:

The best thing about 6 IMO was the real feeling of becoming powerful as new spells unlocked. Going from walking everywhere to walking on water to flying to just teleporting everywhere while raining hellish fiery doom on all comers was just the bees-knees.

this sounds exactly like the kinds of games I like

that's why I like morrowind and gothic you go from dirt eating loser to levitating demigod

what other games let you do things like that? i've gotta buy m&m7 asap

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Apparently. I never played the multiplayer much so maybe that was why. I just enjoyed the single player a lot I guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They're having a :france: sale for Bastille Day weekend, so it's the perfect time to grab Beyond Good and Evil, Rayman, Little Big Adventure, Alone in the Dark and some others.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

No Silmarils games on sale. Pathetic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I didn't even know that they were making a game based on Kingmaker; now I'm looking forward to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Get your quarters ready, people; GoG just released the Dragon's Lair trilogy! That's Dragon's Lair 1&2, and Space Ace.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Didn't see any discussion about it, but Noclip did a documentary on GoG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffngZOB1U2A

When they were showing a shitload of groundbreaking games, I saw a small screen that had Cate Archer, and it made me stop immediately and see if GoG finally acquired the rights to distribute No One Lives Forever but nah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get your quarters ready, people; GoG just released the Dragon's Lair trilogy! That's Dragon's Lair 1&2, and Space Ace.

I can't imagine wanting to play that over just watching a video of it, in this day and age.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

When they were showing a shitload of groundbreaking games, I saw a small screen that had Cate Archer, and it made me stop immediately and see if GoG finally acquired the rights to distribute No One Lives Forever but nah.
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1021461737390759937
(CEO of Night Dive)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Why, just this morning, I was looking in the mirror thinking about how much I looked like I needed a monkey.

I remember tiring of NOLF somewhere around miles and miles of shipping containers. I think I just kept failing some stealth requirement.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This looks similar to Brain Dead 13. Is the gameplay similar? Just a sequence of quick time events (arrow keys and jump / action buttons) and nothing else -- trial & error with death traps everywhere?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Didn't see any discussion about it, but Noclip did a documentary on GoG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffngZOB1U2A

Westwood titles are still elusive. And for some reason there's no mention of ScummVM -- or I didn't hear it. They do mention DosBox.
It's a good video nonetheless.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cheeky bastard

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

This looks similar to Brain Dead 13. Is the gameplay similar? Just a sequence of quick time events (arrow keys and jump / action buttons) and nothing else -- trial & error with death traps everywhere?
Dragon's Lair is their granddaddy, all the way from 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

It's also only QTEs because it was originally on Laserdisc.