Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
The Yankees had Jacob Ellsbury killed and sent his body to space in the trunk of a Tesla, and he's still owed 47 million for two more years after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Both the Mariners and the Astros have the day off today. I guess I’ll watch the Pirates?

Nice, tonight is Nick Kingham's first start back from the minors so could be an interesting game. Hoping to see him succeed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

He has deferred payments of $3.5M annually from 23-32, then $1.4M annually from 33-37.

Orioles.txt

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
N: Jon Lester was named NL pitcher of the month for June, and Javier Baez was named NL player of the week

V: :toot:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GalacticAcid posted:

Nice, tonight is Nick Kingham's first start back from the minors so could be an interesting game. Hoping to see him succeed.

My sister lives in Squirrel Hill so I tried to make the pirates my NL team this year but the mariners are doing so well it’s hard to give that much attention to baseball.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Squirrel Hill is a great neighborhood, but the Pirates are a bad team.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Latest all-star updates:

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1013823345962504193/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Matt Kemp has more ASG votes than Bryce Harper. BABIP is a hell of a drug.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak tore into Dexter Fowler in a radio interview

Mozeliak posted:

“It’s been a frustrating year for everybody involved. Here’s a guy who wants to go out and play well. I think he would tell you it’s hard to do that when you’re not playing on a consistent basis. But I’ve also had a lot of people come up to me and question his effort and his energy level. You know, those are things that I can’t defend. What I can defend is trying to create opportunities for him, but not if it’s at the expense of someone who’s out there hustling and playing hard. And really I think everyone just needs to take a hard look in the mirror, and decide what they want that next chapter to look like. And in Dexter’s case, maybe taking a brief time out, trying to reassess himself, and then give him a chance for a strong second half is probably what’s best for everybody. I’m hopeful to touch base with him in the near future and decide what makes the most sense, but clearly he’s not playing at the level we had hoped.”

V: Free Fowler and gently caress the loving Cardinals holy poo poo what is wrong with you.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

while fowler’s on paternity leave, no less

best fans in baseball

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sydin posted:

N: Cardinals President of Baseball Operations John Mozeliak tore into Dexter Fowler in a radio interview

V: Free Fowler and gently caress the loving Cardinals holy poo poo what is wrong with you.
Cards looked like a loving mess as a whole this weekend, if I had responsibility in that org I wouldn't go publicly calling out any particular individual.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If he wasn't already Fowler has to really be regretting his choice to go to St. Louis. What an insane thing for the President of Baseball Operations to say.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gleyber and Andujar look how well my babies are doing :allears:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

If he wasn't already Fowler has to really be regretting his choice to go to St. Louis. What an insane thing for the President of Baseball Operations to say.

I hope this is intentional shade:

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/1013852977365430275

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

St. Louis must be a wonderful place if you're a minority player

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

St. Louis must be a wonderful place if you're a minority player

It's probably pretty nice if you're playing well but God forbid you have a slump cause you'll be endlessly questioned regarding how hard you play.

If you're the President of baseball operations you really ought to have a concrete example of why you think he isn't playing hard because that's a very nebelous statement to be making about a guy who should be a key part of your team.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

ego symphonic posted:

I'm sad and frustrated, but at least we can enjoy watching Juan Soto be awesome even if the rest of the team stinks.

Weirdly I am now more optimistic about next year than I was before. I hope Robles comes back this season so we can get more of a look at him.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Popete posted:

It's probably pretty nice if you're playing well but God forbid you have a slump cause you'll be endlessly questioned regarding how hard you play.

If you're the President of baseball operations you really ought to have a concrete example of why you think he isn't playing hard because that's a very nebelous statement to be making about a guy who should be a key part of your team.

Time to bring back the goon study on racism in baseball broadcasting, but instead having it focus on baseball upper management.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
no, no, you misunderstand, luke weaver's nickname is 'low energy' and I was talking to him, this reporter just overheard it wrong

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

no, no, you misunderstand, luke weaver's nickname is 'low energy' and I was talking to him, this reporter just overheard it wrong

:lol:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Time to bring back the goon study on racism in baseball broadcasting, but instead having it focus on baseball upper management.

Exhibit A: Barry Bonds.

The end.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Matt Kemp has more ASG votes than Bryce Harper. BABIP is a hell of a drug.

I mean he has had a better first half, it's completely reasonable to vote for Kemp (though I assume he's also picking up a load of extra votes from the other Braves doing so well).

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Kemp’s not in Atlanta this season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Wait, really? Clearly watching the Mets this year has had a side effect of liquefying my brain.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

Wait, really? Clearly watching the Mets this year has had a side effect of liquefying my brain.

Even their fans are going on the DL.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm gonna be DFA'ed any day now.

Done with these loving Assholes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

How's this kid pitching for the Yanks tonight? 2.25 FIP in three starts looks great, is he due for an "oh yeah this is a rookie" game?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I would love if the Cubs took on Fowler's contract at this point. I would also love if Mozeliak and company did a full-on rebuild because the team is going to finish .500 for the next decade at this rate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean he has had a better first half, it's completely reasonable to vote for Kemp
The difference between these two specifically is all babip.

Kemp: .310/.348/.541, .357 babip, .231 ISO, 5.8 BB%
Harper: .216/.366/.475, .223 babip, .259 ISO, 18.7 BB%

Harper walks more than 3x as much and hits for more power, but they are separated by 134 points of batted ball luck

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 2, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Kemp's career BABip is .340 though.

Certainly Harper is having a tough go of it with his though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The difference between these two specifically is all babip.

Kemp: .310/.348/.541, .357 babip, .231 ISO, 5.8 BB%
Harper: .216/.366/.475, .223 babip, .259 ISO, 18.7 BB%

I'm not suggesting it's in any way sustainable or that Kemp's a better player, but if you're casting All-Star votes on the basis of "who's had the better first half" then Kemp wins over Harper.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Kemp's career BABip is .340 though.
Yes, which is weighted heavily by his younger days when he not only hit the ball more consistently but also could run fast. Kemp hasn't had a full-season babip near .340 since 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

How's this kid pitching for the Yanks tonight? 2.25 FIP in three starts looks great, is he due for an "oh yeah this is a rookie" game?

He skipped straight up from AA (he's thrown 25 innings total above A-ball) but his stuff is filthy. I'm sure he's gonna have a game where he gets blown up but I dunno if another young team is gonna be the ones who do it.

EDIT: For sure I just jinxed it but still.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 2, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Loaisiga has been really good in his short stint so far, only problem he's had is the walks. he should be fine though

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

I would love if the Cubs took on Fowler's contract at this point. I would also love if Mozeliak and company did a full-on rebuild because the team is going to finish .500 for the next decade at this rate.

I would love if Mo fired Matheny and then hosed off himself tbh. The whole org needs a revamp and has since 2014/15. It's stale and mediocre/bad.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

That statement questioning his "effort and energy level" is total bullshit and gently caress Mo for saying that, but right now I would absolutely prefer to have Harrison Bader in the game over Dex almost 100% of the time if we actually want to win baseball games.

He's slashing .171/.276/.278 in a corner OF spot. And it's July :(

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I would love if Mo fired Matheny and then hosed off himself tbh. The whole org needs a revamp and has since 2014/15. It's stale and mediocre/bad.

Oh most definitely

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 2, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves brought up Michael Reed, who by consensus is Not A Prospect but has been hitting everything at Gwinnett, as well as DL'ing Peter Moylan finally and bringing up Evan Phillips, maybe even to pitch this time.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants swept the DBacks in Phoenix and have won 10 of 12 and are a pretty fun team despite all the injuries

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Get it done Cubs, he literally cannot be worse than Chatwood:

https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/1013498036356599810

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sydin posted:

Get it done Cubs, he literally cannot be worse than Chatwood: