Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nexxai posted:

Stupid question probably, but for an office of 5 people with no server and no need for local storage (OneDrive for Business is plenty), can Azure AD actually handle the laptop login/authentication portion? Or is it still just only used for Office 365 apps or whatever other broken half-assed poo poo you could use it for in the past?

The client already has the Office 365 Business Premium tenant set up so I'm not really sure what's involved or even where to read up on it more.

Start here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/device-management-azuread-registered-devices-windows10-setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Basically this.

Also yes, Azure can handle that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Or the time I had to start yelling and arguing when I was trying to cancel my service after they lied to me both over the phone and in person and left me with a bill about $40 a month (plus an installation fee) more than had been agreed to over the phone. I had to say some variation of 'turn it off' or 'cancel my service' ten times before they did, and then said they could not give me any form of communication confirming it. Fortunately I did not keep getting billed.

Which reminds me I was going to cancel mine today but that was when they were down.

It would be funny to call and cancel and then tell them I’m getting 1gbps for $50, not an introductory price, from a provider that is still legally required to follow net neutrality, but not worth the time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

RFC2324 posted:

I remember a buddy who worked as a PC tech telling me his company had a policy of just reformatting and reinstalling any ME systems that came in that were around 6 months old, and telling anyone who had an install much older than that to buy a new computer because ME will physically damage the hardware after around 6 months. I never saw any reason to challenge the assertion, it made perfect sense to me

Wasn't this around the same era as those terrible capacitors out of Taiwan that wrecked a lot of motherboards/computers?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The capacitor plague story is one of my favorites ever.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

poo poo. Does this motherboard I want to buy have that issue?

Whew. Okay. Every single "enthusiast" and higher board now mentions it has solid caps because of that. Even my LGA 1151 board still mentions it, though the blurb is a lot smaller now.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

totalnewbie posted:

Wasn't this around the same era as those terrible capacitors out of Taiwan that wrecked a lot of motherboards/computers?

Looks like it, tho that wasn't what they were talking about.

The claim was that the whole OS was basically a bad driver, and would additionally corrupt itself to the point of catastrophic if not wiped regularly.

It was mostly bullshit, but i remember there being a bunch of super bad drivers in that era.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Looks like it, tho that wasn't what they were talking about.

The claim was that the whole OS was basically a bad driver, and would additionally corrupt itself to the point of catastrophic if not wiped regularly.

It was mostly bullshit, but i remember there being a bunch of super bad drivers in that era.

It was a bad driver. It was rushed. It was never supposed to happen. It just "fell" on people's laps. Everyone was expecting that Windows 98 SE to be the last of the DOS->Win era, for everyone to be moving to the NT kernel (hello Windows XP), and yet they came out with a yet another legacy windows OS, with updated icons and lovely everything else. You were better off with win98 SE at the time or windows 2000 (if your computer could run it).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volguus posted:

It was a bad driver. It was rushed. It was never supposed to happen. It just "fell" on people's laps. Everyone was expecting that Windows 98 SE to be the last of the DOS->Win era, for everyone to be moving to the NT kernel (hello Windows XP), and yet they came out with a yet another legacy windows OS, with updated icons and lovely everything else. You were better off with win98 SE at the time or windows 2000 (if your computer could run it).

Yeah. I went from 98se to 2k myself so never dealt with me much myself.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Varkk posted:

Probably just infected with malware which relies on a partially patched vulnerability.
Mystery solved and you're closest. I remembered we had an issue last year with a specific model of printer causing a bluescreen when connected over USB so I had the user send me a picture of the bluescreen (she's at a remote site) and it was indeed the same faulting .sys file. The culprit is good old McAfee, its encryption software freaks out when it encounters a certain USB storage spec (Opal, which I had never heard of prior to this). This was supposedly fixed with a hotfix last year when we had the printer issue so I'm not sure if something reverted to the unpatched version or this is a new but related bug.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah. I went from 98se to 2k myself so never dealt with me much myself.

Same here, though I was impressed that WinME came with System Restore.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My only experience with WinME is that it was installed on a lovely second-hand PC my parents bought for me approx 1999-2000, and a few months later while I was playing Half-Life it bluescreened and upon reboot half the files on my hard drive were corrupted.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

poo poo. Does this motherboard I want to buy have that issue?

Whew. Okay. Every single "enthusiast" and higher board now mentions it has solid caps because of that. Even my LGA 1151 board still mentions it, though the blurb is a lot smaller now.

This was 10-20 years ago dude.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Same here, though I was impressed that WinME came with System Restore.

My own problems with WinME was actually centered around this. For some reason, System Restore was oblivious to the 'how much of the drive can I use to back poo poo up' setting, and kept filling up the drive with 'backups' of 'important' files. By the time I hit 0 bytes free, there were literally hundreds of thousands of files in some trash folder I couldn't delete. I tried deleting it from a DOS prompt (because Explorer choked on so many files) but even after hours of waiting, it wasn't even close to done yet.

This was the only time I abandoned a Windows OS by downgrading back to the previous version.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Best experience with ME I had was discovering that you can't access the CD-ROM in Safe Mode.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My best experience with ME was never having to use it :smug:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My wife's family had a Windows ME machine back when she and I were in high school. Her Dad reinstalled the OS so often she took to calling the reformat-reinstall process "rebooting".

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Friend installing WinME after a fresh reformat, it got to some part checking network connections of all things.

“Checking connection, attempt 1 of 100..”

Wasn’t plugged in. After an hour or so it hits 100 and presents the worst error screen I’ve ever seen. Bright red text flashing, big ‘FATAL ERROR’ over and over.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

spankmeister posted:

This was 10-20 years ago dude.

:thejoke:

Those giant graphics showed up on every motherboard box I saw in the mid 2000s. That one was on a board I bought in 2006~. Emphasizing the country of origin and chemistry of their capacitors, which was a pretty odd thing to devote the limited graphics space on the back of your product for. They STILL talk about having solid caps because of that. And I've still dealt with the fallout of that plague more recently since all the monitors at my work from that era starting dying off rapidly around 2012, while many of the older ones are still chugging along.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nth Doctor posted:

My wife's family had a Windows ME machine back when she and I were in high school. Her Dad reinstalled the OS so often she took to calling the reformat-reinstall process "rebooting".

Sounds about right, was the only way I found out to fix a cd rom driver issue. It would just stop recognizing it as a valid piece of hardware and no amount of manually adding would solve it. But somehow doing a remiage the cd-rom would be ready to go on first boot up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There used to be a thing around that era where your CD-ROM would become a DVD-ROM and not read anything - that ended up being something stupid in the registry in XP days. Wonder if it existed back for 98/ME as well.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
My first computer that was mine and not my family's was a Dell with ME. I thought I was just really bad at computers and didn't realize until years later it want really my fault. If nothing else, I learned a lot about Windows troubleshooting!

Dell's hardware was great, though. That monitor lasted like 12 years, and the speakers survived even longer, I didn't replace them until I knocked a full very large class of water into one of them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It probably wasn't loading MSCDEX or something, or whatever the equivalent driver was for 95/98/ME

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Dell's hardware was great, though. That monitor lasted like 12 years, and the speakers survived even longer, I didn't replace them until I knocked a full very large class of water into one of them.

:confused:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

It probably wasn't loading MSCDEX or something, or whatever the equivalent driver was for 95/98/ME

Nah if you loaded MSCDEX, Windows (even 95 RTM) would either try to evict it again, or access the CD drive in 16 bit I/O mode, instead of using a 32 bit driver.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Username and image check out.

A ticket came in: "I just received an email saying my staff did not complete required education by the deadline, but my manager view shows them as compliant without anything overdue."
Response: "It appears that you canceled their mandatory education assignment. Your manager view correctly shows them as compliant because they have, in fact, done everything that wasn't canceled."

I do wish the system displayed more intelligently, but still.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Another loving scam email came in. I mean seriously, two in 3 business days. I need to get something infosec related on my title at this rate.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Another loving scam email came in. I mean seriously, two in 3 business days. I need to get something infosec related on my title at this rate.

poo poo I am re-doing my sig to Infosec Cloud Engineer in that case :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Get your white gloves cleaned too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Infosec is a good racket I recommend it.

Protip: SOC work is the helpdesk of infosec.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd much rather be in a SOC than a technician in a datacenter "command station" that doesn't even have the dignity of being called a NOC anymore TBH.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Infosec is the laziest line of work too. All you do is say no to everything, and if there's nothing to say no to you just run a Nessus scan against something and send the report without providing context, demanding immediate action.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Infosec is the laziest line of work too. All you do is say no to everything, and if there's nothing to say no to you just run a Nessus scan against something and send the report without providing context, demanding immediate action.

Are you a developer?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Realtalk though, while the infosec field is very diverse and has lots and lots of great people, there are a lot of lazy and incompetent people (like any industry I guess). I've had to deal with my fair share of lazy rear end "pentesters" who run OpenVAS and scream bloody murder at ridiculous non-issues, like OMG YOU RUN APACHE 2.4.something THAT IS SO OLD". Yeah buddy I run CentOS ever heard of backporting? geez.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

"You need to update these routers, here's a list why off a chainmail I got"
"Those vulnerabilities don't affect us, here's why. Also upgrading will literally break everything due to an unresolved bug on the updated code, see attachment."
2 weeks later: "Why aren't they updated yet? This is preposterous. We're completely open to attack!" CC: CIO, COO, Your Boss

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Just gonna leave this nightmare fuel here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was so happy the day we got our pxe build up.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

My company’s image still has her talk for a while :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm just happy I convinced my boss to store our stuff offsite.

"But, you said we'd probably never have to use it".

"No, I said that we'd never want to be in a position where we have to use it, but if we have to you'll be really happy we've got it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spankmeister posted:

Realtalk though, while the infosec field is very diverse and has lots and lots of great people, there are a lot of lazy and incompetent people (like any industry I guess). I've had to deal with my fair share of lazy rear end "pentesters" who run OpenVAS and scream bloody murder at ridiculous non-issues, like OMG YOU RUN APACHE 2.4.something THAT IS SO OLD". Yeah buddy I run CentOS ever heard of backporting? geez.

If someone can get far enough into your network to exploit those devices, you probably have far bigger problems anyway.