Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Considering Garbrandt got KO'd rather definitively I dont see why they're doing a rematch right away but whatever.

Because Cody came within moments of getting a definitive KO himself.

Mekchu posted:

one guy is rocked horribly but gets a quick comeback KO a la Scott Smith.

That's more or less what happened.

Skip My Posts posted:

Maybe he’d start making more later if he fought and won bigger fights now

Against noted PPV draw TJ Dillashaw, for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Stealth Tiger posted:

Well I guess Mighty Mouse finally learned his lesson by trying to play hardball with Ol' Dana. Yup. Eating a little bit high on the hog there, and what do you get to show for it? That's right, a really easy fight where he will earn the same amount of money he always does anyway.

please don't turn this into another MM derail I'm sorry let's just keep talking about brow ridges

Is talking about an active UFC champion really a “derail” in the UFC thread

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Lol okay

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

That's more or less what happened.

This entire post is retarded now that I made the mistake of reading the whole thing. Good lord lol

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
UFC 226 is making me feel tingly in my no-no parts.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm still not exactly sure why people are against Mighty Mouse for not taking a fight with his title on the line against a larger opponent that stands to lose nothing and that management clearly wants that opponent to win and reduce his earning potential. That's dumb as gently caress and no one should do that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah dunno why people would want him to take on the best possible guy who is also a champ in the biggest possible fight lol. instead we get 2 rematches for guys who got cleanly finished. uhhhh yeah his company wants to reduce his earning potential thats mainly derived from his ability to earn them money

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah dunno why people would want him to take on the best possible guy who is also a champ in the biggest possible fight lol. instead we get 2 rematches for guys who got cleanly finished. uhhhh yeah his company wants to reduce his earning potential thats mainly derived from his ability to earn them money

And whoever heard of UFC management being dumb and spiteful in a self destructive way?

You've been shitposting for over a decade, how are you so bad at it?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 3, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
guys who dont know poo poo like you, mostly

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
god drat i hope cejudo wins somehow, talk about loss of earning potential lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skip My Posts posted:

god drat i hope cejudo wins somehow

Please don't post Ali Abdelaziz's strategy so openly.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Please don't post Ali Abdelaziz's strategy so openly.

lol pretty much

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

You know what. That would be great. Because then he's not losing to a guy that would tie up two belts.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
cejudo has looked good lately

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hell yeah he has. Honestly I would love to see him take the strap. His first go at it was just way too soon.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
DJ against Cody or TJ would be so good

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My buddy who always buys the ppvs is gonna be in Alabama this weekend. That means I'll have to venture out to a bar or Buffalo Wild Wings. I have rural DSL and no satellite or cable so I can't watch them at home.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I feel like Horigutchi was the guy to take DJ's belt and he just needed a year or two to develop

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

vainman posted:

I feel like Horigutchi was the guy to take DJ's belt and he just needed a year or two to develop

That was a great fight. You could see how good Horiguchi was. And you could also see that DJ was a lot better.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Yeah, he's real good. I keep hoping the UFC brings him back

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mighty Moose is probably just going to get knocked the gently caress out one day by someone when he's just lost a step due to age.

TJ might be able beat him in a straight up fight now but DJ don't want none.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh?

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i hope the goat baby retires with the belt but then dana might shut the division down out of spite

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cody flattened TJ late in the first round and I'm pretty sure TJ was essentially saved by the bell.

I mean, he scored his own knockout early the next round, but still. Both guys showed that they could absolutely beat the other.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Cody flattened TJ late in the first round and I'm pretty sure TJ was essentially saved by the bell.

I mean, he scored his own knockout early the next round, but still. Both guys showed that they could absolutely beat the other.

Yep, and if Cody wins does TJ get a rematch? Really wish they'd have let Dom have a crack at TJ first.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He knocked TJ down and landed one clean punch before TJ started defending and began fighting his way back up to his feet. It was close to the bell and Cody hits hard, but it was nowhere near definitive or 'saved by the bell'.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

He knocked TJ down and landed one clean punch before TJ started defending and began fighting his way back up to his feet. It was close to the bell and Cody hits hard, but it was nowhere near definitive or 'saved by the bell'.

i dunno, i remember tj being in serious trouble. though obviously not that serious since he managed to win the fight in the next round

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TJ was in trouble but not "seconds from being stopped" because Garbrandt didnt push him and TJ spent the rest of the round blocking/moving way more.

TJ also had better footwork and methods to finish the fight than Cody did. The headkicks by TJ were pretty effective.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
What’s the argument for TJ being a huge draw besides “lol” or “you’re retarded”?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

El Roncho posted:

What’s the argument for TJ being a huge draw besides “lol” or “you’re retarded”?

I guess the argument is that a superfight between two tiny punchmans that no one cares about is more marketable/profitable than a fight with a tiny champ and some random tiny punchman.

I mean, I care. But who the gently caress knows what will sell. Neither of the J’s seems to be a draw on their own as far as I can tell.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
so we're giving immediate rematches to people who might win now? "ah man yeah he lost but he might have won so lets run it back"

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Scapegoat posted:

Yep, and if Cody wins does TJ get a rematch? Really wish they'd have let Dom have a crack at TJ first.

Lol Cruz doesn’t deserve a shot

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

El Roncho posted:

Nobody said he was and on an unrelated note retarded people have poor reading comprehension

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

El Roncho posted:

There isn't one.

The Automator posted:

so we're giving immediate rematches to people who might win now? "ah man yeah he lost but he might have won so lets run it back"

UFC has been doing needless rematches for a long time. Look at how quickly the Cain/JDS trilogy happened.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Cody should train with Ludwig he’d probably be more well rounded and have far superior sparring

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There isn't one.

UFC has been doing needless rematches for a long time. Look at how quickly the Cain/JDS trilogy happened.

For sure, this one just seems extra dumb to me. No title defenses and immediately knocked out. I feel like ufc wants certain people as vhamps and by god they're going to get it, see Romero Whittaker

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
rewatching stipe vs ngannou, it was a really great performance. once ngannou got tired out and was still throwing sloppy lead uppercuts and poo poo Stipe was blasting him with nice straights and overhands

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They also give immediate rematches partly based on how fun the fight was. Cody vs TJ was a fun fight after a bunch of Funke-riddled trash talk. When that rematch was booked, the only other possible fight (staying within 135) was TJ vs Assuncao 3: also a rematch, but of a less-fun fight.

None of the JDS-Cain fights were immediate rematches. The third, even if rushed, was also a rematch between two of the best heavyweights ever, who had only lost to each other, and who had brutalized each other in turn.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

rewatching stipe vs ngannou, it was a really great performance. once ngannou got tired out and was still throwing sloppy lead uppercuts and poo poo Stipe was blasting him with nice straights and overhands

rewatching it now it's almost boring how great stipe handled it, but watching it live i was on the edge of my seat the entire time. i was alone but loving cheering for stipe as he handled that monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Gotta think Moraes will be getting the winner of Garbrandt/Dillashaw 2. Either would be great.

• Locked thread