Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Got Slay the Spire during this steam sale a few days ago. Got my first win today with Ironclad. Im not usually a card game person, but I really like that game. Upgraded Bludgeons with Necronomicon was pretty dominant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can you explain how gathering, IDing, and throwing potions works in a bit more detail? I'm a bit confused, since so much is kind of abstract that it can be hard to tell what's what.

Also, what do altars do?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sedgr posted:

Got Slay the Spire during this steam sale a few days ago. Got my first win today with Ironclad. Im not usually a card game person, but I really like that game. Upgraded Bludgeons with Necronomicon was pretty dominant.

Just FYI there is a thread for Slay the Spire, cum play with us m'lord.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I need another shiren. I need it on PC. I need it to be really good and have all of the quality of life upgrades.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im really enjoying the caiysware games (stramium immortaly and skelly selest). I think I like skelly selest the better of the two, because all the characters are skeletons, but stramium immortaly is more challenging and seems to have more content. I recommend them both.

also still recommending A Robot Named Fight, probably the roguelite I've put most time into outside of Isaac.

edit: enter the gungeon still feels real bad to me. they're very stingy with the guns and replaying the first floor over and over with the awful-feeling default weapons sucks rear end.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 2, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc the impending update to the game is in part motivated by wanting to make the early game less samey and more interesting

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

PMush Perfect posted:

Can you explain how gathering, IDing, and throwing potions works in a bit more detail? I'm a bit confused, since so much is kind of abstract that it can be hard to tell what's what.

Also, what do altars do?

So, a bit more Unexplored, typed up on a phone for maximum ease of typing.

Let’s start with the basics. If you pause the game and bring up the full inventory, there will be a button to list all known and unknown potions and scrolls. This is extremely helpful to risk management. Scrolls are generally safer or easier to mitigate although you’ll never have enough. Potions, otoh, are much more of a mixed bag with only three positive ones that you will regret wasting unless level generation.

In no particular order of effectiveness you can: buy from a shop to id, read a scroll of identification, get lore stat (rare, excepting a certain starting kit), read a scroll of detect magic to see what’s benevolent or not for the entire floor, quaff a potion, throw a potion (more later), get a clue from a book (with very blunt foreshadowing) stacked directly with a potion or scroll, get a clue from a library, and finally see if a god will accept its sacrifice.

In particular your go to method will be throwing poo poo, unless you have a very dire need or very little risk (few remaining bad options or detect magic). If you have a potion in either hand slot, it can be thrown like a dagger. If you pause the game, all items can be dragged onto the game window for a throw with a significant amount of accuracy, but varying amounts of utility- and without using a hand slot. Specifically, potions will shatter when they reach their destination unless you’re shift-dropping them. Good potions do nothing, bad potions explode into a cloud of poison or such. Although this seems obvious, shattering a potion destroys the bottle.

The easiest way to get empty bottles is to drink a potion or unlock the achievement that lets you buy them for 2 g before the run. If you put a potion in your hand and click, it will be thrown but An empty bottle will be swung in front of you. This is handy for catching sprites for an alternative light source that works underwater and doesn’t set clouds of gas on fire. It also can gather holy, healing, dark, hot, cold water for putting fire out, especially when the fire is you (stand in the water first). Finally, you’ll often come across brazier cauldrons whatever with liquids in them. PAuse and right-click to inspect. If it’s not blood or water it’s almost certainly something bad for you. Swing that bottle up to three times for free lovely potions for either safe identification or weapon Izard consumers.

Gotta run so god ya later

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also still recommending A Robot Named Fight, probably the roguelite I've put most time into outside of Isaac.

I'm a big fan as well. Much easier than learning randomized metroid, a lot of the same feel. I've finally unlocked the 3rd ending, only have a couple achievements left (sub-35m boss clear, sub-15% completion rate).

New content coming soon, I think it's out in beta on Steam and should hit the Switch in August.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

god drat card quest is good

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

im really enjoying the caiysware games (stramium immortaly and skelly selest). I think I like skelly selest the better of the two, because all the characters are skeletons, but stramium immortaly is more challenging and seems to have more content. I recommend them both.

I just about 100%'ed Skelly Selest over the weekend and I definitely agree that the difficulty tends toward decidedly "easy"--the most significant exceptions to this are the card game (which still isn't hugely challenging, but a reasonable difficulty nonetheless) and the 10 challenges that involve things like beating a boss without getting hit, and playing an extremely dark version of the dungeon gamemode that disables your map and your inventory browser.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh my god i just found the greatest weapon in synthetik
it's the 420 sniperdragon and it comes with a 360 noscope bonus
and if you actually spin around 360 in a short amount of time you get bonus damage

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just about 100%'ed Skelly Selest over the weekend and I definitely agree that the difficulty tends toward decidedly "easy"--the most significant exceptions to this are the card game (which still isn't hugely challenging, but a reasonable difficulty nonetheless) and the 10 challenges that involve things like beating a boss without getting hit, and playing an extremely dark version of the dungeon gamemode that disables your map and your inventory browser.

yeah its definitely pretty easy, but definitely charming and fun.

for some reason the baby skeleton being called 'angelic mini' by the introductory level text is extremely adorable to me.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

I need another shiren. I need it on PC. I need it to be really good and have all of the quality of life upgrades.

I've tried to get into the first shiren on the snes, and I just can't play it for more than a couple runs. Does it get better? Should I try other games in the series?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yes, but also yes.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

I'm a big fan as well. Much easier than learning randomized metroid, a lot of the same feel. I've finally unlocked the 3rd ending, only have a couple achievements left (sub-35m boss clear, sub-15% completion rate).

New content coming soon, I think it's out in beta on Steam and should hit the Switch in August.

How are you supposed to kill the Megabeast? It simply has a ton of health, and I feel like I can barely scratch it before the screen fills with projectiles. If it weren't for the super beefy and grindy final boss, I would like this game a lot more.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Roluth posted:

How are you supposed to kill the Megabeast? It simply has a ton of health, and I feel like I can barely scratch it before the screen fills with projectiles. If it weren't for the super beefy and grindy final boss, I would like this game a lot more.

the best approach is figuring out which orifice on it spawns which mob/projectile and alpha striking the worst ones first. if you can prevent too many mobs building up its a lot easier.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

grill youre saelf posted:

I've tried to get into the first shiren on the snes, and I just can't play it for more than a couple runs. Does it get better? Should I try other games in the series?

I bounced off the SNES one a little but really loved the DS entry, which you should be able to acquire by similar means

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

the best approach is figuring out which orifice on it spawns which mob/projectile and alpha striking the worst ones first. if you can prevent too many mobs building up its a lot easier.

Which ones in particular?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Foo posted:

and if you actually spin around 360 in a short amount of time you get bonus damage

its a crime that people are ignoring this post lmao

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Roluth posted:

You could always fill the screen with your own projectiles

Big bolts, triple shot, aura shot, fragment shot..

Each component takes damage, once you're at the halfway mark you need to go to the other side and kill the things there. I find the bouncing eyes to be the most annoying, sometimes the little ones that run along the ground. But if you're having trouble with the end boss, are you buying up everything from shops and donating to shrines? I've played a lot of runs and haven't won with under 80% completion.

The shrine mechanic, if it's not clear: Each one has a 'magic' number, most have visual clues or the polygon they display has the right number of sides. Donations should be integer multiples of that in scrap. Pure scrap will be a temporary boost, a donation with one of the colored scrap will be a permanent boost. Maximum 3 donations, the background graphics track how many. The "worst" result is the Artificer helm, which can be tricky to manage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Captain Foo posted:

I think you just sold me the game.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

grill youre saelf posted:

Someone beat me to it but yes and also yes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I have Shiren the Wanderer 3 on PSP and I've poked at it a bit but I'm pretty sure I'm still wandering around town and haven't even figured out how to get into the dungeon proper yet. Maybe I should give it another shot.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I have Shiren the Wanderer 3 on PSP and I've poked at it a bit but I'm pretty sure I'm still wandering around town and haven't even figured out how to get into the dungeon proper yet. Maybe I should give it another shot.

you should thats one of the good ones. I had a bunch of notes but not in this thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dogstile posted:

I think you just sold me the game.

:tipshat:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I've been playing scavenger sv-4 and man it's a cool game.

one of my samples turned out to be a pissed off little alien. I had to push him out of the cargo system by moving boxes around from room to room in the direction I wanted to push him. I trapped him in the engineering section and laughed at his little face pressed up against the glass. When I finally ended my expedition, in the epilogue it turned out the little guy learned how to operate doors by watching me, and ate my face. Rest in peace, Pepperoni.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I like SYNTHETIK but weapon stats not persisting between runs is kinda dumb. Would be cool if it were even just a percentage that carries over, or you get to choose one stat (out of the 20 or so) to persist.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I've been playing scavenger sv-4 and man it's a cool game.

one of my samples turned out to be a pissed off little alien. I had to push him out of the cargo system by moving boxes around from room to room in the direction I wanted to push him. I trapped him in the engineering section and laughed at his little face pressed up against the glass. When I finally ended my expedition, in the epilogue it turned out the little guy learned how to operate doors by watching me, and ate my face. Rest in peace, Pepperoni.

is it possible to take an alien w you and not get your face eaten

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

I like SYNTHETIK but weapon stats not persisting between runs is kinda dumb. Would be cool if it were even just a percentage that carries over, or you get to choose one stat (out of the 20 or so) to persist.

Mastery sticks between runs, though some guns refuse to go up. If stats stuck you'd max every gun in just a handful of runs.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Mastery sticks between runs, though some guns refuse to go up. If stats stuck you'd max every gun in just a handful of runs.

I know mastery carries over, but mastery barely does anything. There's probably a middle ground that would work well while not shortening the longevity of the game. I posted a really lovely suggested on their forum cause I was in a rush so I hope they can actually understand it... but basically something like allowing installed modules to persist. Once you reach 4 you can swap out a module or cancel the upgrade dialogue. And then there can be an upgrade system to allow modules to be upgraded to artefacts or whatever.

At least something that persists beyond mastery.

Another would be maybe choosing a stat upon run complete to carry over out of a dice roll of stats. Or a percentage or something.

MORE PERSISTENCE

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd love to start every run with a piercing coil pistol with no range drop off but it doesn't mean it wouldn't make the early game incredibly boring.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Eh, the person I was playing with also didn't like that there was no gun persistence so :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tollymain posted:

you can put on your spacesuit, then lure it to and flush it out the airlock

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Tollymain posted:

i need to check if theres some way to disable the doors in a section so it cant press the buttons

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like that there isn’t a ton of statistical persistence because it means when I play with randos and my character is 15+ levels higher than theirs, there isn’t actually a meaningful disparity of power so it’s not a case of one player doing all the work.

The difference between a gun with no upgrades and a gun with four is so huge that I think carrying that over would be absurdly broken, and also it would mean that balancing for the presumption that characters have maxed gear would mean making the late game so hard that a fresh save couldn’t win. Which is bad form in a roguelike imo.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronicDongz posted:

you can put on your spacesuit, then lure it to and flush it out the airlock

thats not the same thing at all

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tollymain posted:

thats not the same thing at all

Seriously.

Can I have sex with the alien? That's what all of this really comes down to--will the alien remain still long enough to have sex with it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think thats probably bestiality

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

i think thats probably bestiality

Well then you better slap the cuffs on Captain James T. "Tiberius" Kirk, because that man slept with all manner of alien flora and fauna, and that's gonna be the main thrust of my character in Scavenger SV4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean its probably not like, super sapient