Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Yankees loving suck if they don't hit home runs. Cannot manufacture runs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

Yankees loving suck if they don't hit home runs. Cannot manufacture runs at all.

This isn't true. They lead the league in sac flies. They lost this game because they have Torres hitting behind 2 automatic outs for some dumb reason and because Bird belongs in AAA.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

manufacturing runs is a loving myth, i'm convinced of it because how often do you see good teams score more than 3 runs a game if their rallies primarily come from singles, steals, and sac flies

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

This isn't true. They lead the league in sac flies. They lost this game because they have Torres hitting behind 2 automatic outs for some dumb reason and because Bird belongs in AAA.

Their Guillen number this season is 52.28, which is incredibly high. How many times have they wasted leadoff doubles this year? Seems like a crazy amount.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1013987265360613376

Shoudlve been Gray.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I hate Mondays

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

I hate Mondays

Boomtown Pizza Rats

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I understand the complaints about the RISPfail (I mean, they've had some spectacularly bad with-RISP numbers in a few games) but I don't really buy that they need to "manufacture" runs with a dude on 3rd base. I mean, is the complaint really that the Yankees need to suicide squeeze more? They just need to get base hits in that situation, which they are overall pretty decent at.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 3, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Here is my flaming hot take: What if the 2nd best offense in the league is actually bad?????

e: Yankees cannot manufacture runs is a really stupid take. They are 10th in BA and 5th in OBP. While they are in the bottom 10 in runners left of base, there is this really strange correlation between getting on base a lot, and also getting left on base a lot. Its weird I cannot explain it!!!

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 3, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Here is my flaming hot take: What if the 2nd best offense in the league is actually bad?????

big, if true...

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

e: Yankees cannot manufacture runs is a really stupid take. They are 10th in BA and 5th in OBP. While they are in the bottom 10 in runners left of base, there is this really strange correlation between getting on base a lot, and also getting left on base a lot. Its weird I cannot explain it!!!

So you're saying statistics are bullshit

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pitcher wins are the only thing that matters, that's how you can tell Severino is good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

There is only one stat that matters imo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is only one stat that matters imo

Aaron hicks sucks is what you're saying

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao I love this team

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

Aaron hicks sucks is what you're saying

Clearly it's Miguel Andujar that sucks.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Clearly it's Miguel Andujar that sucks.

Almost twice as many doubles as HRs? Smells like selfish half-effort.

Also, I just found this thread. Hello fellow Yankees people.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Yankees are averaging one homerun every 20.34 at bats. They are hitting a hilariously bad .204 with RISP in those 20.34 at bats between home runs. Red Sox also score a high percentage of their runs via HR (44.47), but they're hitting .270 in non-HR at bats with RISP.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ihatepants posted:

The Yankees are averaging one homerun every 20.34 at bats. They are hitting a hilariously bad .204 with RISP in those 20.34 at bats between home runs. Red Sox also score a high percentage of their runs via HR (44.47), but they're hitting .270 in non-HR at bats with RISP.

And yet the redsox only score .1 runs per game more than the yankees, weird!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Lumpy posted:

Almost twice as many doubles as HRs? Smells like selfish half-effort.

Also, I just found this thread. Hello fellow Yankees people.

Hi

Don't argue with mcmagic

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hi

Don't argue with mcmagic

Don't worry, I know to ignore him from D&D threads.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
itt people advocate for the return of the baltimore chop

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

And yet the redsox only score .1 runs per game more than the yankees, weird!

So the Yankees have no room for improvement? Are you saying that they haven’t been wasting a ton of scoring opportunities? Shouldn’t they be ahead of the Red Sox in runs anyway, since that team is propelled by two great hitters and have been running some awful hitters at the end of their lineup? Being behind the Red Sox in runs, even by so little, when comparing the lineups of the two teams shows that the Yankees can and should definitely be doing better.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

So the Yankees have no room for improvement? Are you saying that they haven’t been wasting a ton of scoring opportunities? Shouldn’t they be ahead of the Red Sox in runs anyway, since that team is propelled by two great hitters and have been running some awful hitters at the end of their lineup? Being behind the Red Sox in runs, even by so little, when comparing the lineups of the two teams shows that the Yankees can and should definitely be doing better.

mcmagic is that you?

I mean, holy poo poo what a bad-faith response.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ihatepants posted:

2018 Yankees with men on: 245/326/457
2018 Yankees with nobody on: 254/330/463
2018 Yankees with RISP: 245/338/427

We are talking about marginal differences between events that are filled with a ton of random, statistical noise. The Yankees and Red Sox effectively have equal offenses (5.15 vs 5.12 runs per game). Every complaint about the yankees under performing could be turned around and say "Well hey, the red sox are having Mitch moreland of all dudes produce at All-star levels, maybe they are the lucky ones."

Yeah obviously teams can always do better in certain aspects, but sitting here and sweating about the 2nd best offense in the league being bad is real dumb imo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also last night if Hicks' ground-rule double landed literally an inch deeper before bouncing, the Yankees walk it off.

Last night was a confluence of things (Drury over Bird in the last AB, not hitting Torres in the 9 spot) but I don't understand how people can still be talking about "too many home runs" and "manufacturing runs" in 2018.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 3, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Also last night if Hicks' ground-rule double landed literally an inch deeper before bouncing, the Yankees walk it off.

Last night was a confluence of things (Drury over Bird in the last AB, not hitting Torres in the 9 spot) but I don't understand how people can still be talking about "too many home runs" and "manufacturing runs" in 2018.

That was an exceptionally lovely loss.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Living and dying with every game like it’s football makes for a bad viewing experience imo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Living and dying with every game like it’s football makes for a bad viewing experience imo

With every game?

poo poo man, I'm full on Puig Destroyer in my fandom

quote:

We live and die
With every pitch
Our hearts sink and rise
Hoping our team survives

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

2018 Yankees with men on: 245/326/457
2018 Yankees with nobody on: 254/330/463
2018 Yankees with RISP: 245/338/427

We are talking about marginal differences between events that are filled with a ton of random, statistical noise. The Yankees and Red Sox effectively have equal offenses (5.15 vs 5.12 runs per game). Every complaint about the yankees under performing could be turned around and say "Well hey, the red sox are having Mitch moreland of all dudes produce at All-star levels, maybe they are the lucky ones."

Yeah obviously teams can always do better in certain aspects, but sitting here and sweating about the 2nd best offense in the league being bad is real dumb imo

I guess my issues with how they have been doing with RISP has been clouded by how awful they have been since the calendar rolled over into June. They have had a WRC+ of 56 (.169/.274/.315) with RISP since June 1, second to last in all of baseball. The offense is still amazing because they can hit a homerun to change the game at any time, which is why their overall WRC+ for the same time frame was 106 (128 bases empty; 85 runners on).

For reference, before June 1, the team actually excelled with RISP: WRC+ of 128 (.283/.369/.482), and an overall WRC+ of 119 (116 bases empty; 122 runners on) for the same time frame. I’m just hoping that their extended funk with runners on base ends soon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They went 18-9 with a +31 run differential in June.

It's amazing how you can take these stats and then completely divorce them from context and come to the absolute worst conclusion from them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Double mcmagic

What does it mean?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

They went 18-9 with a +31 run differential in June.

It's amazing how you can take these stats and then completely divorce them from context and come to the absolute worst conclusion from them.

The pitching has been awesome since June 1, they’ve had by far the best FIP (3.02) and xFIP (3.26) in baseball, even with Sonny Gray. It wasn’t primarily because of the offense that they had such a great run differential and record in June.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

ihatepants posted:

The pitching has been awesome since June 1, they’ve had by far the best FIP (3.02) and xFIP (3.26) in baseball, even with Sonny Gray. It wasn’t primarily because of the offense that they had such a great run differential and record in June.

A positive run differential of an average of plus one per game is p good

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

you said:

ihatepants posted:

Then you admitted that aside from June they've hit well with RISP, and even in June when they "loving sucked" they still played .600 ball.

Maybe they don't actually loving suck?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Llllllllllakers

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

you said:

Then you admitted that aside from June they've hit well with RISP, and even in June when they "loving sucked" they still played .600 ball.

Maybe they don't actually loving suck?

Way to twist my words around and completely ignore “if they don’t hit homeruns.” They do suck when they don’t hit home runs, pretty much every team does - even good ones like the Yankees. They are 7-10 when that happens (I believe it’s 1-4 in June alone), so not quite playing .600 ball. I don’t see why that’s such a hot take.

Edit: It was 0-5 in June alone when they didn’t hit a homerun. The 7-5 record came when they were hitting well with RISP before June.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 3, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why even say something like that then? It's like saying "They have a terrible record in games they lose."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Way to twist my words around and completely ignore “if they don’t hit homeruns.” They do suck when they don’t hit home runs, pretty much every team does - even good ones like the Yankees. They are 7-10 when that happens (I believe it’s 1-4 in June alone), so not quite playing .600 ball. I don’t see why that’s such a hot take.

Edit: It was 0-5 in June alone when they didn’t hit a homerun. The 7-5 record came when they were hitting well with RISP before June.

You said they loving suck when they don't hit home runs but they also hit well with RISP outside of June so like RCarr said what is the takeaway supposed to be?

EDIT: The team losing and going 0-12 with RISP sucks a lot but if they keep putting 12 guys into scoring position in games they're not going to go 0fer a lot over the course of the season. I think it's more concerning if they go 0-3 with RISP a bunch of times, I guess, is my philosophy.

EDIT2: Also sorry honestly I take some of my Twitter hot-take hating into this thread too.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

RCarr posted:

Why even say something like that then? It's like saying "They have a terrible record in games they lose."

I was attending a lecture when I posted, so I half assed my response and should have said something more to the effect of “the offense has been underperforming since the start of June, possibly because they have been struggling with RISP during that time. They’ve shown they can hit with RISP in the past, like immediately beforehand where they had a 128 WRC+ in those situations and were averaging 5.64 runs per game. But since then, they’ve only had a WRC+ of 56 with RISP and have only been averaging 3.94 runs per game, which would be towards the bottom of the league if it continued for the rest of the year (it won’t). I do have faith that they can turn it around, but right now I’m just impatient because I want to see more dingers and less RISPfail. The Yankees are still really cool and good and they have one of the best records in baseball. I’m enjoying the season even though it seems like I’m always complaining about something.”

I’m sorry for saying that the team sucks, I don’t actually think they do despite all my bitching at the smallest and most inconsequential things.

• Locked thread