Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Hey thread, I have a probably stupid question. A few years back I got a surfboard + edge router x + AP AC lite wireless. I followed the standard setups suggested here and everything was working great but now I’ve moved and I’m having trouble setting it back up. I can get on the internet when I connect the computer directly to the modem, but when I go modem to eth0 and eth1 to the computer, I can’t get on. On the edgemax dashboard (192.168.1.1), it says both eth0, eth1, and switch are all connected, but there’s no IP address for any of those except switch (192.168.1.1/24) — eth0 is supposed to have an IP address right? Any ideas on how to get connected? Apologies if this is super basic, I haven’t really done much with the router since initially getting it and my memory is fuzzy if there are other steps I need to take first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
From my past experiences with Surfboard modems, sometimes they do a MAC address lock to the first device they connect to when powering up (from a factory reset or a long time being unplugged). So it may be locked to your PC instead of the router.

If you haven't changed any configuration settings on the EdgeRouter, plug everything in like you had before and perform a factory reset on the Surfboard. It should then connect to the EdgeRouter instead (you may need to use the Renew command on the WAN interface through the ER web config).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One of the desktop guys at work mentioned how a secondhand router could have malware placed on there by the previous owner. How would I check out a Ubiquiti edgerouter for that? Would a factory reset be enough? I feel like it wouldn’t. I’m thinking I would want to hook it into a computer without anything valuable, not plugged into the modem, no WiFi connections available.

Thoughts?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Open it up, dump whatever is on the various flash chips present on the board, compare to known safe versions. It’s not exactly easy unless you’ve got the tools for it already.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Rukus posted:

From my past experiences with Surfboard modems, sometimes they do a MAC address lock to the first device they connect to when powering up (from a factory reset or a long time being unplugged). So it may be locked to your PC instead of the router.

If you haven't changed any configuration settings on the EdgeRouter, plug everything in like you had before and perform a factory reset on the Surfboard. It should then connect to the EdgeRouter instead (you may need to use the Renew command on the WAN interface through the ER web config).

Whoops, you’re right — I had tried restarting the router but not the modem. Once I restarted the modem everything worked fine. Thanks!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One of the desktop guys at work mentioned how a secondhand router could have malware placed on there by the previous owner. How would I check out a Ubiquiti edgerouter for that? Would a factory reset be enough? I feel like it wouldn’t. I’m thinking I would want to hook it into a computer without anything valuable, not plugged into the modem, no WiFi connections available.

Thoughts?

Do the paperclip hard reset on the edgerouter, then flash the latest firmware onto it. That will clean off any potential malware since the Ubiquiti stuff uses a custom bootloader, and the firmware images self-expand from squashFS so system changes don't persist unless you specifically want it to (like config txt files etc) and those get wiped by the paperclip reset.

skipdogg posted:

Re: AT&T Fiber.

There's a guy out there that figured out how to bypass the AT&T provided gateway, but it isn't easy. The gateway authenticates using 802.1x. I wouldn't recommend it. Turn off the wifi radios, put your own device in the DMZ mode and don't worry about it.

It's not worth the hassle unless you have the need to be full on neck beard. I had gigabit for years and the gateway was never an issue.

Yeah. I know how to do it, and for 90% of the home users it's a waste of your time and AT&T's time when things go wrong. The first thing AT&T support is going to make you do is reset everything back to the way the installer set it up, so you're not really gaining anything in reliability.

It made a lot more sense when AT&T was giving their U-Verse customers an Arris NVG595 which had a session table max of ~2000 connections (less when busy with lots of clients) and as the table filled up, new connections simply dropped. The U-Verse gigapower uses the BGW210-700 which increases the max connections to ~8000. You shouldn't be hitting that number even with ~10+ people in your house.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 27, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So tonight I hosed up. I set up an ER-X and was going to hook up a UAP HD nano. I found a guide that showed how to do PoE for an ER-X and a UAP Lite. So I hooked the HD's 48V PoE into the ER-X and it died.

Gonna make a wild guess I can't RMA something I fried.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, you should get a new router.

Hey so I picked up an ER-L and it quadrupled the speeds in the house, in addition to "having firmware updates," so thanks for telling me what to do

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So tonight I hosed up. I set up an ER-X and was going to hook up a UAP HD nano. I found a guide that showed how to do PoE for an ER-X and a UAP Lite. So I hooked the HD's 48V PoE into the ER-X and it died.

Gonna make a wild guess I can't RMA something I fried.

I'd give it a try anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

frest posted:

Hey so I picked up an ER-L and it quadrupled the speeds in the house, in addition to "having firmware updates," so thanks for telling me what to do

:hfive: goon success story

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone recommend a small wall mount rack, thinking something between 6 to 12U will be fine. Should I just get the cheapest one I can find? Doesn't have to hold a full length switch

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the ones with the hinged rear, e.g. https://www.tripplite.com/smartrack-12u-low-profile-switch-depth-wall-mount-rack-enclosure-cabinet-hinged-back~SRW12US

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

skipdogg posted:

Anyone recommend a small wall mount rack, thinking something between 6 to 12U will be fine. Should I just get the cheapest one I can find? Doesn't have to hold a full length switch

I got this one for my network build. First one showed up dented, but the second one that they sent out was fine. I've got a switch, patch panel, modem, router, NAS, and some other bits living in it happily. Hoping to add a rackmount UPS to it at some point.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got a free Aruba IAP225. I need to either find a power adapter or a PoE injector, but that's an enterprise-grade AC hotspot that's getting support until November 1st 2023 according to the EOL announcement page. A guy at work had one sitting around that he wasn't using, so now it's mine.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

My company installs a lot of these. They're pretty good. Just make sure you get one that's deep enough for your equipment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks guys. I was just going to get an open one like this since it's going in a closet in my house. I don't need a closed one.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-RK812WALLO-Frame-Mount-Equipment/dp/B001VSR9SG

Not sure about that exact model, need to find a switch first and finalize my equipment plans first.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
You'll probably want to put up a plywood backer board behind that, especially if you've got standard drywall and stud walls. It'll give you a bit more flexibility in where you mount it, so you don't have to mount it exactly to two studs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You'll probably want to put up a plywood backer board behind that, especially if you've got standard drywall and stud walls. It'll give you a bit more flexibility in where you mount it, so you don't have to mount it exactly to two studs.

Yeah that's in the plan. 3/4" should do right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is one PoE injector basically the same as any other, or are there actual concerns to look out for? Looks like I should be able to get one cheaper than a power supply for this Aruba, and that gives me more flexibility on where to set it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

skipdogg posted:

Yeah that's in the plan. 3/4" should do right?

1/2" is fine.

As long as you use the correct screws that is. Don't use 2" screws that are smooth shanked on the 1" closest to the head!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is one PoE injector basically the same as any other, or are there actual concerns to look out for? Looks like I should be able to get one cheaper than a power supply for this Aruba, and that gives me more flexibility on where to set it.

As long as you're getting an 802.3af/at injector and not a passive one for a proprietary implementation.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I recently got one of these to power my Ubiquiti AC Pro:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-E...ds=poe+injector

I'm not really that aware of the differing standards but I believe that the AC Pro needs one of the higher rated injectors and this one is doing the job fine so far.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

apropos man posted:

I recently got one of these to power my Ubiquiti AC Pro:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-E...ds=poe+injector

I'm not really that aware of the differing standards but I believe that the AC Pro needs one of the higher rated injectors and this one is doing the job fine so far.

that should be fine

eames
May 9, 2009

the router at my parent's house died, I'm looking to replace it with Ubiquiti gear because of all the rave reviews.

Is the Edgerouter X with a little power supply capable of powering one Ubiquiti AP or do I need the ER-X-SFP for that?

Their site says "Passive PoE Passthrough*"
"*Requires 24V passive PoE or a 12W minimum power adapter (not included)."

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

eames posted:

the router at my parent's house died, I'm looking to replace it with Ubiquiti gear because of all the rave reviews.

Is the Edgerouter X with a little power supply capable of powering one Ubiquiti AP or do I need the ER-X-SFP for that?

I'm running an edgerouter-x and an ap lite off the pie injector that came with the ap.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

eames posted:

You can do that with the UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-LR, the other UAPs require 48V PoE.

Assuming you have one of those two UAPs, your options are:

-ER-X with the PoE injector from the UAP plugged into eth0, passthrough PoE enabled, UAP on eth4.
-ER-X with a 24V power supply with pass through PoE enabled and the UAP on eth4. Note: you’d need to get the power supply yourself, I’d suggest at least a 1A 24V one. This approach isn’t really necessary, but it does remove some wires from the mix by getting rid of the PoE injector.
-ER-X-SFP with the UAP on any port with PoE enabled.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PS9E5I/

I used this one with a similar piece of Aruba gear and it worked out just fine.

eames
May 9, 2009

smax posted:

-ER-X-SFP with the UAP on any port with PoE enabled.

Thanks, I went with this option (and a UAP-AC-Lite). This way I won't have to deal with PoE injectors at all and have the option of extending the network with more UAPs. The SFP port will be unused but who knows what the future brings.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

eames posted:

Thanks, I went with this option (and a UAP-AC-Lite). This way I won't have to deal with PoE injectors at all and have the option of extending the network with more UAPs. The SFP port will be unused but who knows what the future brings.

Sounds good, for $20 more that's not a bad way to go. The SFP port can always be used for an additional ethernet connection if you need an extra switched port. It adds a nice little bit of flexibility if you need it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm trying to set up an OpenVPN client on an EdgeRouter Lite. I don't know a whole lot about networking, particularly routing, which is where I am getting stuck.

I want all traffic on my internal network to be tunnelled via VPN, using the OpenVPN client connection created on the EdgeRouter to my third party VPN provider (Mullvad in this case).

The current network setup is pretty straightforward

Modem —> EdgeMax —> Wireless AP + Switch

I used the "Wizard" to generate the basic configuration for the router, setting up PPPoE authentication to the modem (which is in bridge mode), DHCP, DNS and NAT. The firewall is enabled with the base set of rules, and I don't have any port forwarding configured. This configuration works perfectly.

I have configured the OpenVPN client using the config provided by Mullvad, which I have annotated and made some slight changes.

code:
client
dev tun
# Only required if the device name above does not start with tun/tap
#dev-type tun

proto udp

# Host to connect to
remote au-mel.mullvad.net 1301

# Default settings provided by mullvad 
cipher AES-256-CBC

# Dont bind to a specific port, used with 'remote' above
nobind 

# Compression
comp-lzo

# Verbosity for output logs 
# verb 3 
verb 5 #Shows packet R/W

remote-cert-tls server

# Resiliancy - will restart the connection if ping fails. 
ping 10
ping-restart 60
resolv-retry infinite
persist-key #Keep key when doing restart
persist-tun #Keep tun device when doing a restart

# Increase buffer size
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

# Attempts to increase performance
fast-io

# Auth configuration files. Note full path is required. 
auth-user-pass /config/mullvad-vpn/mullvad_userpass.txt
ca /config/mullvad-vpn/mullvad_ca.crt
crl-verify /config/mullvad-vpn/mullvad_crl.pem

# IPv6, was enabled by default for Mullvad
tun-ipv6

# Allows execution of arbitrary scripts in pushed config.
# Was enabled by default for Mullvad but have disabled as we don't use the resolve.conf scripts. 
# script-security 2

# Don't pull default routes from Mullvad - we'll do this ourselves
route-nopull

tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-GCM-SHA384:TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
The OpenVPN client is connecting to the VPN provider successfully (I can tail the log and see the connection completed successfully - https://images.graniteoctopus.com/edgerouter-vpn/openvpn-log.txt), and I can actually ping the VPN host no problem from the router, and see the ping traffic going over the vtun0 interface. But I can't seem to get any regular traffic to route over it from my network devices.

The guides that I've been following just say to change the Outbound Interface in the NAT Rule from eth0 (in my case pppoe0) to vtun0. As soon as I do this, I'm unable to route any traffic outside my local network at all. Pinging any external address will fail.

When the VPN connects, some routes in the routing table are created, and they seem sensible enough to me. The second rule says to me that any traffic bound for an external network will be routed to vtun0, correct?

It seems like I'm missing some kind of routing configuration but I'm not sure what. This is the full router config (minus "system") if that helps: https://images.graniteoctopus.com/edgerouter-vpn/router-config.txt

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Moved into a new apartment and the owner agreed to cover the cost of a new modem/router since the wifi barely reaches my room (it's a long railroad-style apartment). I ordered the TP-Link AC1900 and the ARRIS SURFboard SB6190.

I haven't actually set up a network in years though and was wondering if there are some basic settings and such that I can use to make the process simple and easy.

For reference the internet is provided by Spectrum

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Most of the stuff is just plug and play. Maybe check to see what WiFi channels are saturated using an app of some sort and don’t use those, but other than set a good password it’s straight forward

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
A warning on the SB6190 though, the Intel chipset in it has had some serious problems over the years. If you're going to be using 32x8 channels then you're kind of stuck with it, but if you're using 16x4, the 6183 is a rock solid alternative.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Looking for a home network firewall/router recommendation I'm leaning towards a UniFi USG-PRO-4, but curious if there's something out there I haven't considered.

Nice to haves

500 mbit fiber, able to handle the speeds, would be nice to have something that can handle 1gig symmetrical
4 Vlans ( work, IoT wifi, security cameras, normal traffic (home lan/wifi))
VPN server built in (can be sized for 20 to 50mbit of traffic)
Reasonable power consumption (don't want to run a 100w desktop as a gateway 24/7)

I'm comfortable with pfSense as well, and have networking knowledge somewhere in between a ccent and ccna but I don't do networking professionally. Ease of use and stability is important, don't want something I have to constantly tinker with.

The UniFi box seems attractive, not sure if I can get away with the USG or if the USG-PRO-4 is needed for the extra horsepower. I'm thinking about buying a UniFi switch, and definitely getting 2 AC-lite AP's so having the entire stack could be attractive.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

How do I view the DHCP settings that my ER-4 has pulled in from my ISP? Just curious which DNS servers it has picked.

Also thoughts on L2TP vs. OpenVPN? These two guides:
1. https://www.loganmarchione.com/2016/05/edgerouter-lite-openvpn-setup/
2. https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950294-EdgeRouter-L2TP-IPsec-VPN-Server

Usage is low-bandwidth access to engineering SW license servers / remote access to my Plex media library. Or, is this a por que no los dos and I can do both?

movax fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 3, 2018

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I picked up the Edgerouter lite PoE and the Unifi AC Pro. My spectrum revised 4x4 wireless router essentially stops functioning too often each day. Looking forward to getting this setup done. Thanks for the solid OP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A) why shouldn’t I bridge connections on an ER-L?

B) what about this for an unmanaged 8 port switch? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KFD0SEA/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GQWJSD0G06N210Z00E4B&dpPl=1&dpID=612IkNZhy3L&th=1

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

A) Because it means that all traffic has to be rebroadcast through software. They are routing ports and not switched.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I have att uverse dsl. My connection is randomly dropping and it’s going to be a week before a tech can come out to decide if it’s my line or modem. I have a 3rd party modem to try but hooking it up gives me a solid power and wireless light, but the “dsl” light keeps blinking. It’s supposed turn solid when it’s talking with ATT. Anyone have experience using 3rd party modems with Uverse dsl? It’s my understanding that light needs to be solid before I even get to the point of setting the router up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

A) Because it means that all traffic has to be rebroadcast through software. They are routing ports and not switched.

Ah, okay. Well, ordered that switch and a PoE injector, so no problem. Just going to take until the weekend to get here.