Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I really want shout factory to figure the rights to the Wild Style soundtrack. Even Scratch had to hire Qbert to foley-scratch all the footage; fair use wasn't enough since the movie was made before anyone realized that getting rights to samples was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FancyMike posted:

This is up for sale now, just ordered mine. And they are offering a $5 discount if you buy The Church and The Unseen together

Thank you for letting me know! I raced to computer and ordered it along with The Unseen haha.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

xarph posted:

I really want shout factory to figure the rights to the Wild Style soundtrack. Even Scratch had to hire Qbert to foley-scratch all the footage; fair use wasn't enough since the movie was made before anyone realized that getting rights to samples was a thing.

They’ve been pretty good about getting hard to get films due to audio. They managed to get Dudes last year. I guess being a split off of Rhino kinda helps with that too.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Liar Lyre posted:

They’ve been pretty good about getting hard to get films due to audio. They managed to get Dudes last year. I guess being a split off of Rhino kinda helps with that too.

Now I know that there is a Blu-Ray of Dudes I have to get. Thanks!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Oh for gently caress's sake! Of course Christopher Nolan thinks that 2001 should have the same colour scheme as Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1JIkK7-fUI

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steen71 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake! Of course Christopher Nolan thinks that 2001 should have the same colour scheme as Dunkirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1JIkK7-fUI

I don’t think Nolan is loving with the prints or anything, is he? It says “unrestored” which suggests he was hands off. But I way prefer the levels and color in the Blu-ray version, the coldness seems to fit the space setting and the themes better.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Heck, I don't know what he's doing, but I'm pretty sure that the green colour scheme is a modern phenomenon. You see it every-bloody-where these days. I know that we always hear that "it's what the director intended" (and in the case of Dunkirk I'm sure that's true; me, I found it pretty awful), but until I see a note in Kubrick's handwriting that says "The movie should be green", I'm going to assume that it's very wrong.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That trailer doesn't reflect anything at all. Whoever put it together just took the existing 2K transfer and fiddled with the color - that's it. This has infected the internet and is going to gently caress up Warner's 4K release because nobody wants to do actual research. Nolan was only serving as a presenter, much like how Martin Scorsese lends his name to restorations, but has zero input other than getting the right people involved. From what I've read, the new 70mm prints are based on an interpositive Kubrick himself approved back in 1999.

I really wouldn't worry since the same team that restored 2001 also did Barry Lyndon last year and it looks flawless with zero revisionism.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I don't think the 70MM print I saw last month looked anything like that green-tinted trailer. It resembled the coloring on the blu-ray.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

That trailer doesn't reflect anything at all. Whoever put it together just took the existing 2K transfer and fiddled with the color - that's it. This has infected the internet and is going to gently caress up Warner's 4K release because nobody wants to do actual research.

"Whoever"? That's Warner's own trailer.

And it's not going to gently caress up anything, because apart from nerds like me, no one gives a poo poo about this pervasive green (occasionally yellow) that has infected modern colour timing.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011
Is there some kind of starting point when the green tint influenced the modern cinematography? Like what movie made the green tint so successful that more directors decided "YES! Finally a colour that will make my movie so much better because it is so much more closer to reality!"

The first movie I could think off is Matrix. But is it really the starting point?

Regarding the trailer: I'm not that convinced. Some scenes like the closeup on HAL looked much better than on the old blu-ray but other scenes like the ape smashing the bones looked pretty bad. But still I'm excited to see how the film would look in its entirety.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

That trailer doesn't reflect anything at all. Whoever put it together just took the existing 2K transfer and fiddled with the color - that's it. This has infected the internet and is going to gently caress up Warner's 4K release because nobody wants to do actual research. Nolan was only serving as a presenter, much like how Martin Scorsese lends his name to restorations, but has zero input other than getting the right people involved. From what I've read, the new 70mm prints are based on an interpositive Kubrick himself approved back in 1999.

I really wouldn't worry since the same team that restored 2001 also did Barry Lyndon last year and it looks flawless with zero revisionism.

Wait, is this trailer for some other release of the movie that isn't the new blu-ray?

AkaiNami posted:

Is there some kind of starting point when the green tint influenced the modern cinematography? Like what movie made the green tint so successful that more directors decided "YES! Finally a colour that will make my movie so much better because it is so much more closer to reality!"

The first movie I could think off is Matrix. But is it really the starting point?

Regarding the trailer: I'm not that convinced. Some scenes like the closeup on HAL looked much better than on the old blu-ray but other scenes like the ape smashing the bones looked pretty bad. But still I'm excited to see how the film would look in its entirety.

The infuriating thing about using the Matrix as an example is that the first movie didn't originally have the stupid green tint, it was added later so it would match up with the sequels. That version has only ever been released on DVD and VHS.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s interesting.

Matrix came out March 1999, Fight Club (which had a slight green tint) in sept 1999, and then O Brother Where Art Thou came out in 2000, which taught everyone that digital color correction could be a thing. So maybe OBWAT is responsible for Matrix turning green?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

AkaiNami posted:

Is there some kind of starting point when the green tint influenced the modern cinematography?

The Matrix is probably a good bet. One that really caught my eye was the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring on blu-ray. I mean, green snow - what the hell?

But as much as I whine about it, I have to admit that the problem is often fairly easy to fix on my projector as all I have to do is crank up the white balance. Here's an illustration - right is Ran on BD (e: the new remastered one, that is) with the default colour and left is white balance set to about 8500:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CPL593H posted:

Wait, is this trailer for some other release of the movie that isn't the new blu-ray?

The infuriating thing about using the Matrix as an example is that the first movie didn't originally have the stupid green tint, it was added later so it would match up with the sequels. That version has only ever been released on DVD and VHS.

For the people who are into that sort of thing, there's a fan release that has taken the original 35mm print and cleans it up, keeping the original colour scheme intact. They've also done the same thing for JURASSIC PARK.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A lot of times, a screenshot isn't terribly accurate to a Blu actually being played. For all the complaints on The Fellowship of the Ring, it looks fantastic on my 4K display without any overdone color. Even The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly isn't that bad. But I did some extensive calibration to my monitor.

Steen71 posted:

"Whoever"? That's Warner's own trailer.

And it's not going to gently caress up anything, because apart from nerds like me, no one gives a poo poo about this pervasive green (occasionally yellow) that has infected modern colour timing.

The editor of the trailer in Warner's publicity department, I assume.

It's not going to look green/teal, though. If other Kubrick releases are any indication, the color is probably going to be similar to the existing Blu-ray, other than some tweaks because of the jump from 2K off a 35mm reduction dupe negative vs. 8K scan/4K master off the 65mm camera negative.

CPL593H posted:

They used the same trailer for both the 70mm roadshow this year and the UHD. Neither actually using the 4K remaster.

As for The Matrix...

"DP Bill Pope has taken advantage of [HDR] to create a version with color timing as it was originally intended, crafting a high resolution digital master that is more accurate than the original theatrical release."

I think some slack can be given because the special color had to be created entirely photochemically in 1999.

For that matter, O Brother Where Art Thou actually had to be redone from scratch for Blu-ray. Apparently, Roger Deakins supervised a new 2K master probably because there's no way a 2000 2K master would have been usable. (Also why WB had to do The Fellowship of the Ring from scratch because only half of the film was digitally color timed - and why the theatrical Blu-rays looked like poo poo).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 4, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of times, a screenshot isn't terribly accurate to a Blu actually being played. For all the complaints on The Fellowship of the Ring, it looks fantastic on my 4K display without any overdone color. Even The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly isn't that bad. But I did some extensive calibration to my monitor.

The editor of the trailer in Warner's publicity department, I assume.

It's not going to look green/teal, though. If other Kubrick releases are any indication, the color is probably going to be similar to the existing Blu-ray, other than some tweaks because of the jump from 2K off a 35mm reduction dupe negative vs. 8K scan/4K master off the 65mm camera negative.

They used the same trailer for both the 70mm roadshow this year and the UHD. Neither actually using the 4K remaster.

As for The Matrix...

"DP Bill Pope has taken advantage of [HDR] to create a version with color timing as it was originally intended, crafting a high resolution digital master that is more accurate than the original theatrical release."

I think some slack can be given because the special color had to be created entirely photochemically in 1999.

For that matter, O Brother Where Art Thou actually had to be redone from scratch for Blu-ray. Apparently, Roger Deakins supervised a new 2K master probably because there's no way a 2000 2K master would have been usable. (Also why WB had to do The Fellowship of the Ring from scratch because only half of the film was digitally color timed - and why the theatrical Blu-rays looked like poo poo).

I know it's not as extreme but this sort of thing sounds bit like "I totally wanted a bunch of goofy robots farting in the backround of Mos Eisley we just couldn't do it at the time!". I actually prefer the look of the original theatrical release of the Matrix.

Sort of related, but I think it's kind of funny that there's all this talk about movies being tinted green or yellow but there still isn't a blu-ray for Do The Right Thing which features the yellow tint as originally released.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I know it's not as extreme but this sort of thing sounds bit like "I totally wanted a bunch of goofy robots farting in the backround of Mos Eisley we just couldn't do it at the time!". I actually prefer the look of the original theatrical release of the Matrix.

Sort of related, but I think it's kind of funny that there's all this talk about movies being tinted green or yellow but there still isn't a blu-ray for Do The Right Thing which features the yellow tint as originally released.

Some of it has to do with the director and cinematographer differing on proper color. That's why the Criterion and Universal editions of Do the Right Thing differ (Spike Lee supervised Universal's, DP Ernest Dickerson supervised Criterion's). See also how William Friedkin and Owen Roizman differed for The French Connection.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I bought the recent Matrix 4k release and to me it looks stunning. Zero complaints.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gravity Falls Blu Ray shipping soon!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
All this color correction talk reminded me of the original TT release of NOTLD '90. Man, what a fuckup.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CelticPredator posted:

Gravity Falls Blu Ray shipping soon!

Mine's already shipped. Supposedly getting to my house on Saturday. Not holding my breath, though.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Origami Dali posted:

All this color correction talk reminded me of the original TT release of NOTLD '90. Man, what a fuckup.

Was that ever re-released with the original color timing?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Almost Blue posted:

Was that ever re-released with the original color timing?

I bought this one from Umbrella Entertainment, and it looks a million times better than the Twilight Time disc

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Living...ng+dead+blu+ray

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Origami Dali posted:

What did they do?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Scream Factory just announced a new special edition of Creepshow out this October.
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/creepshow-collector-s-edition?product_id=6868

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FancyMike posted:

Scream Factory just announced a new special edition of Creepshow out this October.
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/creepshow-collector-s-edition?product_id=6868

:yeshaha:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They are also doing a special edition for Trick R Treat for the 10th anniversary and Steelbooks for Halloween 2 & 3 with new 4K transfers. I wish I cared about steelbooks because that’s some great art.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

ultraviolence123 posted:

I bought this one from Umbrella Entertainment, and it looks a million times better than the Twilight Time disc

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Living...ng+dead+blu+ray

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Iron Crowned posted:

What did they do?

For some reason when the DP was contacted about the transfer he requested that the movie's look be totally overhauled. It was changed to be dark blue/green and murky, essentially day for nighting the whole movie. I can't find any really good comparisons online but here's an example:

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 5, 2018

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

For some reason when the DP was contacted about the transfer he requested that the movie's look be totally overhauled. It was changed to be dark blue/green and murky, essentially day for nighting the whole movie. I can't find any really good comparisons online but here's an example:

Caps-a-holic is your friend: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=7864&d2=7865&s1=74909&s2=74921&i=0&l=0

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I look at things like this and wonder, how at the end of the day someone looked at that and said, "yeah, that's good!"

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s like watching a movie with sunglasses on. What the gently caress?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Liar Lyre posted:

It’s like watching a movie with sunglasses on.

Obviously that makes it look cooler!

Realtalk, it's an interesting issue because it's extremely subjective. Considering the director's intentions vs. the cinematographer/DP's intentions, the screens they edit the movie on, the projectors, the TV screens -- there are so many variables that can affect 1) the way the filmmakers originally see the footage and 2) the way the audience sees it, and at multiple different times throughout the life of the film. And on top of all that, just any individual's opinion of what coloration looks "right". I guess it might be one of those things where the majority rules, because who's to say, really.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh, guys, it's called Night of the Living Dead. The DP just fixed a continuity error.

I asked in GenChat a while back, but maybe this is a better place: has modern color-grading been used to overhaul any older films? Not basic color correction or bringing it more in line with the director/DP's vision, but going all-out with digital grading to give the film a new/modern look?

I'm really curious to see what classic films would look like given modern color grading tastes. It's probably sacrilege, though, the Ted Turner colorization of modern times. But I also think that those colorizations are a really cool curiosity—after you've watched the film in the format the director originally intended.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There's a colourised version of It's a Wonderful Life which came out in 2007 and is supposedly pretty good. Or better than previous colourisation attempts anyway.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

I asked in GenChat a while back, but maybe this is a better place: has modern color-grading been used to overhaul any older films? Not basic color correction or bringing it more in line with the director/DP's vision, but going all-out with digital grading to give the film a new/modern look?

I'm really curious to see what classic films would look like given modern color grading tastes. It's probably sacrilege, though, the Ted Turner colorization of modern times. But I also think that those colorizations are a really cool curiosity—after you've watched the film in the format the director originally intended.

I'd say the aforementioned Night of the Living Dead is an example. If this video is accurate Jurassic Park was futzed with in some scenes. Arguably, Blade Runner Final Cut. I heard the Lord of the Rings movies were made more green, but I haven't seen it on blu ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's a colourised version of It's a Wonderful Life which came out in 2007 and is supposedly pretty good. Or better than previous colourisation attempts anyway.

Legend Films has done some impressive colorization work and part of their process is to start with an HD scan.

The Arrow Video edition of Forbidden Zone includes a colorized version by them and it pretty much looks like 1920s stencil color. It also helps that the director was fully involved, unlike most colorizations that don't give a gently caress about the filmmakers' intent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What the gently caress?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJLCU-vtAo&t=227s
Also the stretching part right after. What?

edit: Ah. The foreground stretching has to have been done for the 3D release. How dumb if that made it to the 2D master too. I certainly hope the 4k disks aren't using that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 6, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

What the gently caress?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJLCU-vtAo&t=227s
Also the stretching part right after. What?
blob:https://imgur.com/6c03773a-dfc3-481b-ac5a-e33c0d7479ec

Is this the version on the new UHD?

edit: Ah. The foreground stretching has to be for the 3D version. How dumb if that made it to the 2D master too. I certainly hope the 4k disks don't use that.

FYI, most 3-D conversions have weird anomalies like that, but I bet the other "eye" looks completely normal.

Robert Harris on HTF gave the UHD set a perfect rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nah. It would carry over to the other eye. That steering wheel is resized vertically too.
Makes sense for messier hair to be remade to help with the rotoscoping.