Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

I didn´t see a thread and the old one (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824182) for season 2 is closed, so:

Season 3 of Preacher is here! And in fact already two episodes in.

https://www.amc.com/shows/preacher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpMnzW9mOc

To recap: Tulip is dead, Jesse lost his power and Cassidy hates him. On the bright side, Hitler and Eugene escaped from Hell!

Since Jesse kept Cassidy from turning Tulip into a vampire to save, his only choice is to visit his dear old voodoo-practicing grandma to somehow bring her back, even if it cost him what is left of his soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm watching. It's decent so far. I've read the book that covers these characters and I have no complaints which is good. I was waiting to see if someone was going to make the thread and was surprised it took this long. probably less viewers coming from season 2

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 3, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm a bit into episode two and I'm loving all the action so far, plus it really is well thought out. Coming from Westworld this is a breath of fresh air.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
that short fight scene with tulip and the other woman just felt weird, like it was for another show

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I was waiting for this thread to pop up. I like the action, but I have no idea where they're going this season. Hopefully out of Louisiana at some point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Waffle! posted:

I was waiting for this thread to pop up. I like the action, but I have no idea where they're going this season. Hopefully out of Louisiana at some point.

Did you miss the bit where Herr Starr went to India this episode? And the show's definitely going back to Hell at some point, and then there are the ongoing misadventures of Hitler and Eugene.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cassidy and Tulip gently caress off without Jesse though, depending on how TC's little crush plays out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

datajugend posted:

that short fight scene with tulip and the other woman just felt weird, like it was for another show

I was a little weirded out how quickly the woman she wants to kill suddenly shows up and Jesse doing that felt like dumb plot armor. I get why they can't be taken out right away but that still felt lame and they could have written a better scenario for all that to happen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grandma's totally wearing a wig

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

datajugend posted:

It also looked like it had a budget of $5, and not in the way the show will do that on purpose.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season so far. Season 2 started off so well and then spent most of the rest of the season spinning it's wheels in an apartment.

I did like the shootout that Herr Starr had before the call came in about Jesse.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I find the show pretty boring overall, but I keep watching it for the occasional awesome scene that reminds me of the shows potential. All the pieces are there for a great show, but it just doesn't come together.

I really hope the entirety of season 3 won't revolve around Jesse scheming to get back his soul, so he can leave the mansion.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yeah it looked like something they did in a bush in the parking lot 5 minutes before the episode aired

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Is TC at all like in the comics where he fucks everything from birthday cakes to fish? Just a complete over the top degenerate?

I was a fan of the comics and have the whole series somewhere, but the show kind of fizzled for me around s2. It's not just one thing, it's a series of things. Just kind of, boring, with contrived scenarios for 'cool' scenes. My favorite parts have been any time they play around with someone being immortal, and the Saint of Killers origin was fantastic. (obviously way different than the books but I liked how they did it)

With a few weeks vacation coming up I'll probably catch up and do a bunch of ranting.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

Is TC at all like in the comics where he fucks everything from birthday cakes to fish? Just a complete over the top degenerate?

Preacher is in my top three comics of all time, and I think TC and Jody are loving perfect. But then, I've loved this show like crazy since episode one, and don't have any of the negative opinions anyone else seems to have, so ymmv.

TC hasn't hosed anything on the show though so if loving something is important to your enjoyment you'll hate him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whalley posted:

Preacher is in my top three comics of all time, and I think TC and Jody are loving perfect. But then, I've loved this show like crazy since episode one, and don't have any of the negative opinions anyone else seems to have, so ymmv.

TC hasn't hosed anything on the show though so if loving something is important to your enjoyment you'll hate him.

I mean, TC's been in 10 minutes across two episodes, and they're clearly building to something with him. Give it time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

Closest thing to this so far was a pretty funny scene where he explains a dream he had to Cassidy.

I've enjoyed both episodes so far, but I just have this sinking feeling like the main cast is going to be largely set in the one location for most of the season again ala most AMC series, and I just really, really, really want more of a road trip aspect to be present.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Who is GodDog (GoDog DoGod?) calling
"Sons a Bitches"?

I'm interested to see how weird this season gets.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Jerusalem posted:

Closest thing to this so far was a pretty funny scene where he explains a dream he had to Cassidy.

I've enjoyed both episodes so far, but I just have this sinking feeling like the main cast is going to be largely set in the one location for most of the season again ala most AMC series, and I just really, really, really want more of a road trip aspect to be present.

Yeah, I said the same to my wife. Something along the lines of "oh no. They're AMC'ing now"

I will add, the girl saying "I dont know I just work here" was genius. Really liked that part.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, the purgatory scene was great.

"...well, I might just have one bowl of Boo-berry before I go...."

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Did the top of Starr's head get grazed by a bullet when Tulip started shooting? There's a stripe of blood that he wipes off, maybe it's foreshadowing the comic what Jesse does to him later?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Waffle! posted:

Did the top of Starr's head get grazed by a bullet when Tulip started shooting? There's a stripe of blood that he wipes off, maybe it's foreshadowing the comic what Jesse does to him later?
If it's not foreshadowing I don't know why I'm bothering watching

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Is it foreshadowing when it's a thing that happened and they showed it happen? The result isn't in yet but I mean it's kinda just right there.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I assumed that this was the thing happening.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I enjoyed Cassidy hating on The Big Lebowski again, I thought that was funny. Cass must be wearing some major sun screen to protect himself from burning up in the sun.

Anyways, glad the show is back! Dietland and Preacher are a nice a break from hate-watching the Walking Dead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

datajugend posted:

It was a really, really bad fight in every sense of the word lol. But I'm still entertained with the rest of it.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Did you miss the bit where Herr Starr went to India this episode? And the show's definitely going back to Hell at some point, and then there are the ongoing misadventures of Hitler and Eugene.

hilter*

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm weirdly kinda disappointed they're reusing a Monty Python joke there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmGknvr_Pg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next week: SATAN

Also, Satan hiring The Saint of Killers for something.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Good episode. Awfully convenient casting for Dog God, and the whole "it was my plan all along" bit, but I still liked it. Between Tulip and God, I think they're both right. A little from Column A, and a little from B. Cassidy screwing things up again!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Legit laughed at the AA meeting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was Josh Chan's mother (AKA the Demon Prison Warden) on the end of the phone line, right?

Season's been great so far, though I'm not sure the Tombs reveal quite makes sense. Probably does though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gonz posted:

Next week: SATAN

Also, Satan hiring The Saint of Killers for something.

Satan wants The Saint to go after Arseface and Hitler, right?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

That was Josh Chan's mother (AKA the Demon Prison Warden) on the end of the phone line, right?

Season's been great so far, though I'm not sure the Tombs reveal quite makes sense. Probably does though.

I'm glad they revealed that hat because oh man. Maybe Jesse's been wanting to avoid the tombs so he doesn't need to put that musty bucket on his dome.

Cassidy's been getting slowly scummier over time, and I'm glad for it because he's an actual monster in the comics.

Looking forward to Tulip getting something to to other than being an attractive fuckup.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

the escape goat posted:

I'm glad they revealed that hat because oh man. Maybe Jesse's been wanting to avoid the tombs so he doesn't need to put that musty bucket on his dome.

Cassidy's been getting slowly scummier over time, and I'm glad for it because he's an actual monster in the comics.

Looking forward to Tulip getting something to to other than being an attractive fuckup.

I understand it doesn’t really translate to television but I do miss the bullshit sessions Jesse and Cassidy would get into in the comics. It goes a long way to selling their friendship. Without it in the show it makes Cassidy’s devotion to Jesse in the first two seasons seem much more desperate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad the preview showed the Saint because I've been missing some of the other side characters.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Can someone summarize / spoil season 2 for me? Loved 1 but 2 was a drag.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Have to say this has quickly become my favorite show tv.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Season 3 hasn't blown me away so far. First three episodes feel a little bit off in their delivery, although occasionally you get some gold. I dug Jody's fight with Jesse where he casually almost drops a pickup truck on his head, then brushes it off as "foolin around"

But I think they need to do a bit better with making the plantation and everyone who lives there FEEL imminently dangerous. That translated well in the comics because Jody was basically a sadist and you were always on edge when someone was in a scene with him.

As things stand now, I'm hoping we don't spin our wheels at the plantation the whole season just for Jesse to get his soul back at the very end. I want to see the Allfather being disgusting, and everything that happens at Masada.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Don't know if it's a spoiler, but in the opening credits when the show Dominic Cooper, he's done up like a sheriff, so I wonder if they're going to try to work in bits of the Salvation storyline

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

False posted:

Can someone summarize / spoil season 2 for me? Loved 1 but 2 was a drag.

Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy head out to see an old friend of Jesse's to get a lead on God, which sends them to New Orleans.
The Saint of Killers chases them, Jesse discovers his power doesn't work on him because he has no soul.
They stay at the apartment of an old friend of Cassidy's who only speaks French and seems to detest Cassidy.
Agents of The Grail take an interest in Jesse as a potential rival/threat to the divine bloodline of Jesus.
Jesse gives up a tiny piece of his soul to the Saint of Killers, offering to send him to heaven with his power, but instead forces him into the back of a van and dumping it in a swamp.
Herr Starr realizes that a charismatic, good looking Texan with the correct initials AND the power to make people do as he say is a more suitable messiah than the inbred mess that he's been saddled with.
We discover that Cassidy's friend is actually his son, he's dying and he wants Cassidy to make him a vampire.
Grail agents move in down the hall from their apartment to spy on Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy.
Eugene (Arseface) escapes from hell with the help of Hitler, who seems to have changed and seen the error of his ways... but then ditches Eugene the moment they're back on Earth.
Cassidy makes his son a vampire, things start getting creepy.
The Grail rescue the Saint of Killers and remove the tiny piece of Jesse's soul from him.
The Saint attacks the trio but is called off by Hell's warden, because Satan has a job for him.
Jesse decides to become the new Messiah of the Grail.
Cassidy kills his son when he realizes that his son has no restraint and is dangerous.
Tulip figures out the Grail were spying on them, in a fight with one of their agents she gets fatally shot.
Jesse, missing a tiny piece of his soul, discovers that his powers don't quite seem to be working anymore.
Jesse gives up his duties as Messiah to go save Tulip, learning at the last second that Starr has that piece of his soul.
Cassidy tries to make Tulip a vampire to save her life, Jesse refuses, deciding to take her to Angelville, where he grew up, and beg his hated grandmother to use her magic to save Tulip's life.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The gently caress is up with Cassidy's hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Cassidy's power level fluctuates a lot, doesn't it? In the pilot, he could take on an entire planefull of vampire hunters. Now, all it takes to defeat him is a bump on the head with a rifle butt. I would like to see some more vampire asskicking.

• Locked thread