Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Asnorban posted:

https://wfmu.org/MACrec/cbmany.html

I have a few of these. I dropped the needle on one once and instantly picked it up because no way that wasn't damaging the hell out of it.

I'll check mine when I get home from work, but I bet we would have heard by now if there was anything there.

OMG flashback to childhood. I remember having a couple of those!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
That's What I Get or Everything, and I'll allow TWIG a pass as a young artist first-album mulligan. It's awful and there is no way to redeem it except for making it instrumental, maybe leaving in the repeated shouts of "That's what I get!" But again. Mulligan. Everything is just really cheesy and I cringe when I hear the opening "I surviiiiiiiiiived". And that one's over 25 years into a successful career.
I guess lots of people bag on Hesitation Marks in general but I still think it's a better album than With Teeth and The Slip.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

yeah I don't think anything tops 'That's What I Get'

Let me just put the lyrics here for you all to remember about how Trent isn't the only boy for you.

quote:

Just when everything was making sense
You took away all my self confidence
Now all that I've been hearing must be true
I guess I'm not the only boy for you

How could you turn us into this?
After you just taught me how to kiss you
I told you I'd never say goodbye
I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry

But that's what I get
(That's what I get)

Why does it come as a surprise?
To think that I was so naive
Maybe didn't mean that much
But it meant everything to me

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Bad lyrics, yeah, but dat outro. His production covers a multitude of sins. For me, the lyrics and music both have to be uninspired to qualify here.

Granted, I know there are exceptions to every rule and some things are just too egregious.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Sir Lemming posted:

Bad lyrics, yeah, but dat outro. His production covers a multitude of sins. For me, the lyrics and music both have to be uninspired to qualify here.

Granted, I know there are exceptions to every rule and some things are just too egregious.
Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once are pure cheese, but I love them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t like Pilgrimage very much and if we’re counting lyrics I always have to skip Starfuckers. The song is kind of tedious too.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Where Is Everybody?

I'll give everything after he sobered up a pass. But that song is a miserable listening experience.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

david_a posted:

I don’t like Pilgrimage very much and if we’re counting lyrics I always have to skip Starfuckers. The song is kind of tedious too.
Starfuckers is terrible.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Astrochicken posted:

Where Is Everybody?

I'll give everything after he sobered up a pass. But that song is a miserable listening experience.

I kind of like it, but I heard the Things Falling Apart version a dozen times (back in the Napster era) before I listened to The Fragile. It took some getting used to the original, I can tell you that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYKid2z0Kk

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

glam rock hamhock posted:

I like all the songs that have been mentioned :(
Same lol

That's What I Get has terrible lyrics, but lyrics have rarely been Trent's strong suit.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I laughed my rear end off the first time I heard Everything but it's grown on me since then. I dig the song's progression and I think the song's sentiment is earned on Trent's part.

The remix, on the other hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1GWEUEU-pQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HorseRenoir posted:

I laughed my rear end off the first time I heard Everything but it's grown on me since then. I dig the song's progression and I think the song's sentiment is earned on Trent's part.

The remix, on the other hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1GWEUEU-pQ
Oh Jesus, yeah, that remix is atrocious :cripes:

I SURVIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVED

That vocal effect makes it sound like a parody.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Starfuckers" definitely holds a special place as the NIN song I least look forward to in any given setting. The others I mentioned are more pointless, but SF is so blatantly out of place on its album, and occupies three tracks of the remix album. It's the song he desperately wants to work, but doesn't. It's the song that just won't go away or be ignored. I don't feel like it's objectively totally bad, as I can pick out things here and there that are kind of good about it, yet you can definitely still make a case that it's the worst NIN song all the same.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
What saves TWIG is that it's great to scream along with live or in the car. Starfuckers I can't stand but not sure why.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Starfuckers has some good ideas in it. I just think the chorus is so terrible that it runs the song.

I'm pretty sure TWIG hasn't been played live since the 80s.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's honestly hard for me to think of a NIN song I don't usually enjoy I enjoy on some level. I think the closest I have is The Collector, which I just find all aspects of to be pretty forgettable. It's a song I'd be disappointed if they played it when I saw them.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

It's honestly hard for me to think of a NIN song I don't usually enjoy I enjoy on some level. I think the closest I have is The Collector, which I just find all aspects of to be pretty forgettable. It's a song I'd be disappointed if they played it when I saw them.
Talking about being a good boy and swallowing isn't a good mental pic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I unironically enjoy all of With Teeth :shobon:

I'd be excited if I saw them play it live because they never do. It's a deep cut.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I have seen them play it live and it just doesn't elevate it like some of his other more lackluster tracks. You Know What You Are kind of underwhelms me on album but live it tears the place down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sleepwalkers posted:

Big Man With A Gun.

this is the correct answer. even when I was 18 it was an embarrasingly stupid song.

edit: "That's What I Get" owns you mugs

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

precision posted:

this is the correct answer. even when I was 18 it was an embarrasingly stupid song.

edit: "That's What I Get" owns you mugs

It's a gun AND a penis!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

precision posted:

The lyrics are extremely embarrassing. The music is solid though. The rhythm of the guitar is really odd.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had the opening from Big Man With A Gun as an alarm on my phone for a while hahaha

Same with part of the instrumental of Starfuckers. I still use that one daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-JqooVjfs&t=26s

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

starfuckers and everything are probably the only songs that felt very out of place in terms of the context of their albums so thats kind of a tie for me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep forgetting Starfuckers isn't a Marilyn Manson song.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean by some definitions it is

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Astrochicken posted:

It's a gun AND a penis!

:chanpop:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Probably one of the super generic boring tracks on The Slip, his worst album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

I used to think half of The Slip was great and the other half sucked, but really there are only a couple tracks on there that I'm not a big fan of (Lights in the Sky and Corona Radiata, I think).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still can’t think of it as a “real” album because of how it was released. It felt like a bunch of outtakes from Year Zero and other projects cobbled together as a freebie.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the slip has cool moments spread across almost entirely underdeveloped songs

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Starfuckers is a stain on an otherwise perfect double album, that has to be the worst right?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Caseman posted:

Starfuckers is a stain on an otherwise perfect double album, that has to be the worst right?
It’s the worst song on there, but the album really needed a better closer than Ripe With Decay. Nobody has ever played that song outside of listening to album all the way through.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Starfuckers owns,

precision posted:

I keep forgetting Starfuckers isn't a Marilyn Manson song.
Manson song or not :colbert:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

david_a posted:

It’s the worst song on there, but the album really needed a better closer than Ripe With Decay. Nobody has ever played that song outside of listening to album all the way through.

I think that's a bit like saying Pinion sucks because it doesn't get a lot of rotation outside of being a lead-in.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

AND THE DEVIL WANTS TO gently caress ME IN THE BACK OF HIS CAR

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sleepwalkers posted:

I think that's a bit like saying Pinion sucks because it doesn't get a lot of rotation outside of being a lead-in.
Pinion is catchy though, Ripe With Decay is just there. Leave it off and I don’t think it changes the album a bit.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I didn't like Ripe for the first decade or so after it came out. The (with decay) part is cool though and it's grown on me. The drums on Deviations were right to be removed on the album.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The only thing I don't like in poo poo Mirror is the clapping. Otherwise it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The mix is garbage. I'm tired of the sound of Reznor/Atticus mixes in general but it's hyper bad on poo poo mirror. Still like the song.

Anyone else have this complaint? Their mixes have gotten so muddy, feel like they need some fresh input from someone else.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 4, 2018