Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, you're probably right about all of that. But it flew over my radar, because I didn't put any effort into that.

Frankly, I didn't even make the connection between hemorrhage and Aids. I just thought, "Oh, the apparently gay butler who didn't show up this season had a sudden incident and seems to have died of camera. Well so much for that story arc where Bash figures out his butler is gay.:geno: "
I think I was folding my laundry during that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess I was pretty oblivous to the bash is gay stuff. I enjoyed the season, couldn't really tell if that was a series or season finale though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/1013920304677228544

Should've done them in the style of the old LJN figures

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Funko only does the one thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, Funko. I would totally get an actual figure of Zoya the Destroya, goddamnit.

I just binged the season in an afternoon/evening, it was alright, I really loved episode 8 though and wish they did more like that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kill it with fire!!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That he's a grown man who's wealth, relation to his mother and lack of real hardships prevented him from reaching a mental level beyond childhood fantasies. And that he has to be constantly supervised, so he doesn't do something stupid?
That was exactly how I read it too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Frankly, I didn't even make the connection between hemorrhage and Aids

Pneumonia.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Taintrunner posted:

Ugh, Funko. I would totally get an actual figure of Zoya the Destroya, goddamnit.

I would pay quite a bit of my capitalist pig dollars for a Zoya action figure with a goat accessory and a button that made her say crazy fake Soviet poo poo.

loving funko. I can't understand why anyone buys those.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gawain The Blind posted:

I would pay quite a bit of my capitalist pig dollars for a Zoya action figure with a goat accessory and a button that made her say crazy fake Soviet poo poo.

:same:

quote:

loving funko. I can't understand why anyone buys those.

:same:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You release something, anything, as a collection, people collect it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 3, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Season 2 was great, absolutely loved it. Not much else to say. I'm interested to see where it goes as a live vegas show, instead of taped television program with skits. Seems some of the charm would be lost to audiences there.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What Rhonda and Carmen's actresses say Rhonda and Carmen are thinking about the marriage: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/glow/news/a860399/glow-season-2-kate-nash-britney-young-sebastian-bash-howard-theory-season-3

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I like how there's just so many layers to all the characters. Like you have the actors giving 100%, but then they act badly on purpose on the show within a show, and that's really hard to do. Plus having to get thrown around for the wrestling scenes, that looks uncomfortable. I did like how for the music they did the same thing they did with Stranger Things - use one or two big well known songs, then fill the soundtrack out with lesser known gems, which makes it feel more authenic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Excellent season, too bad they missed the Emmy deadline by like 2 weeks so they'll be reallllll far in the past for the Emmys after that.

A daily wrestling show seems brutal for the performers. Do real wrestlers perform every day?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

How would the storylines work? They have to stop doing long-term storylines like the kidnapping and only do simple stuff they can end in a single show?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

How would the storylines work? They have to stop doing long-term storylines like the kidnapping and only do simple stuff they can end in a single show?

I'd imagine it would be like the stunt show at Universal or something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm enjoying season 2 a lot, but they really underestimated how best friends forever and a cranky rear end in a top hat making a wrestling show is enough for me. Debbie's plot takes up way too much screen time.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm enjoying season 2 a lot, but they really underestimated how best friends forever and a cranky rear end in a top hat making a wrestling show is enough for me. Debbie's plot takes up way too much screen time.

Debbie singing in the empty house with a bottle of wine might be my favorite moment in the series, but I could do without ever seeing Mark's face or hearing about Mark again. And her shittiness to Ruth went on forever in a realistic but unfun way. I liked her producer arc though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I didn't mind the Debbie stuff but it did often seem disconnected from the rest of the show. Like, if she was the protagonist it would make sense to have these bits of her life that aren't about the show, but she isn't so it doesn't.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ruth and Debbie always seemed like equal main protags to me.

I like the Debbie stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

Ruth and Debbie always seemed like equal main protags to me.
I would have said Ruth and Sam.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tiggum posted:

I would have said Ruth and Sam.

All three tbh

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Finished the season, thought it was great. Episode 8 in particular as people have said was just wonderful. Probably one of the best bits of TV I've seen all year. Some thoughts about the finale though:

When the lovely network exec told them they couldn't sell the show because their characters were under contract - I was kind of hoping they'd develop new characters either in that scene or next season in Vegas. Maybe we can get a tag match next season too. Zoya and Belle team up to form the MEGAPOWERS, or whatever other Wrestling context you'd like to put here.

Also kind of confused why they decided to end on a.. dour shot of Ruth doing her best Mrs. Robinson moment. Sure, there's the risk of going to a new place and not having it work out - but I'm not sure that'd give her the "I've made a huge mistake" look.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

All three tbh

Obviously they're Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Harlock posted:

Finished the season, thought it was great. Episode 8 in particular as people have said was just wonderful. Probably one of the best bits of TV I've seen all year. Some thoughts about the finale though:

When the lovely network exec told them they couldn't sell the show because their characters were under contract - I was kind of hoping they'd develop new characters either in that scene or next season in Vegas. Maybe we can get a tag match next season too. Zoya and Belle team up to form the MEGAPOWERS, or whatever other Wrestling context you'd like to put here.

Also kind of confused why they decided to end on a.. dour shot of Ruth doing her best Mrs. Robinson moment. Sure, there's the risk of going to a new place and not having it work out - but I'm not sure that'd give her the "I've made a huge mistake" look.

The old biddies turned into the toxic twins and Cherry Bang switched to Black Magic, so I also kept hoping a few more people would create new characters.

Aside from Zoya, I still dig Sheila the She-Wolf and Welfare Queen. It sucks that as much as merch was mentioned in this show with Justine and Shitpope and then later the wrestlers setting up autograph tables and selling junk in the show commercials (Welfare Queens dolls cracked me up) that there is so little actual real merch to be had besides those dumb funko things. I did order two shirts from netflix though.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 4, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Don’t kidnappppp, kidnapping is wrong to dooooo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

A lot of wrestling shows do single-show storylines, especially small indies and untelevised house shows for bigger companies. They'll have someone come out to the ring and do a promo setting up the main event for the evening, usually give more mic time to the wrestlers so they can call each other out and such.

Of course this could end up being an ongoing issue in S3, Sam trying to work in more elaborate stuff, etc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PostNouveau posted:

A daily wrestling show seems brutal for the performers. Do real wrestlers perform every day?

It's not as bad as today as it was in the 80's, but wrestlers used to have insane schedules. Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for wrestlers to wrestle at least six days a week, and a lot of times, they might do a afternoon show on a Sat, then drive to another city just to perform on another show in the evening.

Former NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jack Brisco told a story about when he was champion, traveling got so rough, that he would wake up not knowing what city he was in. He said the first thing he did once he lost the title was to fly home, where he refused to leave his house for a month.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The witty thread title should be " I loving hate eggs *Black Power Salute*".

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
After watching the documentary on GLOW I'm convinced that my best friend in the 2nd grade was a huge fan. He was kinda insufferable about it now that I'm thinking of it.

I initially resisted watching GLOW because I don't care for the 80s or wrestling but this show is awesome.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KPC_Mammon posted:

After watching the documentary on GLOW I'm convinced that my best friend in the 2nd grade was a huge fan. He was kinda insufferable about it now that I'm thinking of it.

I initially resisted watching GLOW because I don't care for the 80s or wrestling but this show is awesome.

If the series finale for this show isn't a recreation of the present day reunion in the documentary then someone done hosed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish this show were like, so wildly and insanely popular that they were able to make both the regular episodes of the comedy-drama GLOW and also entire whole episodes of the show-within-a-show GLOW.

Like I'm pretty sure most of the women on this show have already demonstrated more wrestling moves than most of the original GLOW cast ever did

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Don't kidnap, find something else to dooooo

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I hope they do at least one GLOW episode a season, as long as the show continues.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

KPC_Mammon posted:

When season 1 came out it sparked a weird flashback to having watched it with my dad when I was super young. I was born in 86 so whatever memory I have of it is abstruse and inconsequential, but nevertheless nostalgic.

Tom Guycot posted:

I hope they do at least one GLOW episode a season, as long as the show continues.

Interdimensional cable.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Davros1 posted:

It's not as bad as today as it was in the 80's, but wrestlers used to have insane schedules. Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for wrestlers to wrestle at least six days a week, and a lot of times, they might do a afternoon show on a Sat, then drive to another city just to perform on another show in the evening.

Former NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jack Brisco told a story about when he was champion, traveling got so rough, that he would wake up not knowing what city he was in. He said the first thing he did once he lost the title was to fly home, where he refused to leave his house for a month.

Adding on to this, how tough wrestling is on the body is also influenced by how long the matches are, the style (comedy, normal, end of a blood feud), any stipulations (normal is going to be less dangerous/painful than a street fight or ladder match), and the expertise of everyone physically involved in the match, on top of traveling around wearing you down.

For GLOW season 3 I'd hope that they would go 5 nights a week tops and rotate who is actually wrestling on any given night while people who aren't do the crazy GLOW skits and such, though who the heck knows with how it's all barely held together so far. Travel is a big downside since wrestlers are barely ever at home and don't have time to heal up properly until something major goes wrong and they're out while they have surgery or recover from major sprains and the like. Luckily that won't be a factor for the GLOW women. I also don't expect that they'll be doing intense cage matches or any super crazy physical or technical moves. I certainly expect there to be another injury while they try to adapt to a Vegas show though, and most likely due to someone being worn out from so many shows and not executing a move properly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Psychepath posted:

Finished episode 4 and [spoiler]this is utterly heartbreaking knowing what Kia Stevens went through when she was a wrestler.

Can you elaborate on this? Was that episode based on a real person?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I ended up watching a lot of this season while coming down from acid. I'm glad the positive things I saw weren't just the drugs. Although the episode 8 dance sequence moving me to tears was probably because of drugs. This season is such a heartfelt and well acted piece. Yolanda and Beirut's romance was the sweetest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Was that episode based on a real person?

Stevens went as Kharma in the WWE (she was known as Awesome Kong in other promotions and Amazing Kong when she worked in Japan); she was an absolute badass and one of only three women to ever participate in a Royal Rumble (the female superstars didn't have a rumble until this past year).

She announced her pregnancy on an episode of RAW, WWE told her to take a leave of absence, and a few months later, she announced that she'd given birth to a healthy kiddo.

The baby didn't survive birth. She said that there was a healthy birth because she was too embarrassed to admit that anything was wrong. She parted ways with WWE a few months later because she wasn't ready emotionally or physically to return.

She went on from there to have a rad run in Japan though! And when she came back stateside to work the indies, she dabbled in Intergender wrestling and was fuckin' great at it.

Rant oncoming-
I love wrestling and watch it multiple times a week, but WWE is an absolute shitshow of a company. If I recall correctly, part of why she didn't return is because she put on a lot of weight while she was depressed and the company was not having it. They don't really employ larger women as Superstars. Chyna and Beth Phoenix were billed as giantesses, but were both under 6ft and only came off as larger because they were incredibly muscular.
In recent memory, the only "big girl" they've had is currently working; Nia Jax. She's 6ft and 230-250 lbs I think? She's basically only around because she's The Rock's cousin. She's a really unsafe worker, and it's a bummer.

So yeah. She was a great worker, really versatile, oodles of international experience, and a trailblazer in many ways, but that personal tragedy derailed her life in a major way.

• Locked thread