Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I was laughing the whole time I was being prison raped. They shoved an axe handle up my rear end and then I went full force axe murder with the axe in my rear end you smug gently caress.

Ah you gave them the old log splitter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the infamous EDC Nerd picture was a janitor or IT guy at NASA. A lot of them are just regular office workers; I'd probably argue that most of them are office workers because that's really the only job where you can carry a bunch of poo poo in your pockets without worrying about anything falling out, getting dirty, or injuring you if you fall on it (one of the reasons you may not want to carry a gun at the back of your hip is so you don't bruise your spine if you fall backwards).

The two most useful items if you want absolutely minimal EDC are probably a Leatherman or similar solid multitool and the best pocket first aid kit you can carry. I've had plenty of days where I've needed a tool in the office for stuff like assembling and disassembling furniture or electronics, and if someone gets seriously injured the best knowledge and equipment you can have is probably for controlling bleeding.

Yea I used to carry a swiss army knife on my keys until i had to throw it away because they wouldn't let me on a plane with it (but they let me on during the flight coming). I haven't bothered since then because i don't see the point. Everywhere I've worked have had a screwdriver set or box cutters and that's all I'd need. These guys look like they're the character at the start of a fallout game. What are they expecting to happen when they're recovering upper managements passwords? Based on their EDCs, it looks like they expect to be put in some kind of Die Hard situation where they'd have to stop a team of freelance all star terrorists.

Thing is a guy who carries that poo poo around looks to me like someone who is thinking "i'm carrying this in case something happens (Oh please let it happen!!!!)" and theyd probably be actively trying to find reasons to draw.

Not to mention everywhere I've worked has had rules against carrying weapons to work. This is Canada so open or CC is pretty much non-existent.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I used to carry a swiss army knife on my keys until i had to throw it away because they wouldn't let me on a plane with it (but they let me on during the flight coming). I haven't bothered since then because i don't see the point. Everywhere I've worked have had a screwdriver set or box cutters and that's all I'd need. These guys look like they're the character at the start of a fallout game. What are they expecting to happen when they're recovering upper managements passwords? Based on their EDCs, it looks like they expect to be put in some kind of Die Hard situation where they'd have to stop a team of freelance all star terrorists.

Thing is a guy who carries that poo poo around looks to me like someone who is thinking "i'm carrying this in case something happens (Oh please let it happen!!!!)" and theyd probably be actively trying to find reasons to draw.

Not to mention everywhere I've worked has had rules against carrying weapons to work. This is Canada so open or CC is pretty much non-existent.

Like everything in life, never go full retard.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Take a good guess what this jag-off is looking forward to in life:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Pliers but no screwdriver? :raise:

Or is that the weird silver thing on the right where you have to pull it out by the pointy end that you can't get a good purchase on?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A torture sequence. Pliers to pull out teeth, knife for cutting, and the thing on the left for misc.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm the combination bottle opener nail remover(???)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

ahem. Thats a TACTICAL bottle opener, tyvm. Did you not notice the finish and belt clip?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I used to carry a swiss army knife on my keys until i had to throw it away because they wouldn't let me on a plane with it (but they let me on during the flight coming).

Earlier this year I was on my way back from Germany and had forgotten to take my Douk Douk out of my pocket and put it in my checked bag. As soon as I put it in the tray at security I was like oh poo poo. Guy asked if I wanted to go back and put it in my checked, but I was tired and didn't want to wait in line again, and also my bag was probably already well on its way to the plane, so I told him nah gently caress it I'll miss it but I can get another. And then he was like ah OK it's fine take it with you whatever, it's cool.

Yes, I am white.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is that a punch dagger?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Heath posted:

Is that a punch dagger?

Yep.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Is wearing your watch wrong* taticool as well?

*Unless you're a nurse

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Some people do it for the same reason (avoid scuffing the surface etc.) but it definitely picked up an operator connotation from videogames and poo poo.

E: Holy poo poo punch daggers make me so mad.

Death Panel Czar has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Jul 3, 2018

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im the ubisoft brand knife

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Death Panel Czar posted:

Some people do it for the same reason (avoid scuffing the surface etc.) but it definitely picked up an operator connotation from videogames and poo poo.

its so you can read the face on your off hand (supporting hand) while holding a rifle :bustem:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Death Panel Czar posted:

I know an officer who was almost arrested for forgetting his badge holder had a punch dagger in it and he went into a prison with it. It was beyond stupid.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The moron labia, key chain/bottle opener thing really ties it together.

And as always, friends...... Stay. Tactical.

"Low Pro Operator EDC Kit"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

What the hell is that lean body stuff?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Not applicable to the goober carrying it, likely.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
No, the highlight of the first one is definitely the 33-round mag. Where on your body do you hide that?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

No, the highlight of the first one is definitely the 33-round mag. Where on your body do you hide that?

In, not on.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

This motherfucker aint goin to no Valhalla without some spray chrome for his teeth.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

This motherfucker aint goin to no Valhalla without some spray chrome for his teeth.

That's not mace, it's chrome spray paint

Edit: it's actually neither it's a magazine wtf was I looking at

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The moron labia, key chain/bottle opener thing really ties it together.

And as always, friends...... Stay. Tactical.

Let me absolutely assure you, that is not a labia opener.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

It was a (dumb) play on "Molon Labe".

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I'm the watch pinching down the arm flab.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm all the plainly photoshopped gear

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

It was a (dumb) play on "Molon Labe".

Moron Label

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

"Low Pro Operator EDC Kit"

The multiple tactical snacks (tac-snacs, as operators say) and single bottle of water tell me all I need to know about this person's physique and their idea of physical exertion.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Breakfast Feud posted:

The multiple tactical snacks (tac-snacs, as operators say) and single bottle of water tell me all I need to know about this person's physique and their idea of physical exertion.

So your saying they needed to buy the tactical vest extender straps for $49.95?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

So your saying they needed to buy the tactical vest extender straps for $49.95?

Two pairs, in fact

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Moron Label

Thank you, friend!

E: So where did these tactibros take the term "operator" from?

Queen-Of-Hearts has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jul 4, 2018

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

white supremacist, norse pagan, or guy who really likes mad max fury road

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

It makes it even better that they shopped that crap in because they thought its cool and or "necessary".

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Thank you, friend!

That has been around a long time. Probably from some time in the cold war or possibly earlier, and likely related to "operative" used in a similar sense since the late 1800s, apparently. In any case it definitely predates these modern armchair commando douches.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Thank you, friend!

Delta Force personnel are called "Operators", and they are the qunitisential badass commando archetype. The military at large has started using "operator" as a coloqialism for any special operations guys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I do have some serious questions about that spare mag. It looks like it has a clip on it to let it be hooked to your waistband or pocket (clips like these exist for guns to let you "Mexican carry" them without a belt or holster), but I can't see how it would insert all the way into the gun.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jul 4, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It looks like the clip stays on your waistband, and you pull the magazine upwards out of it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently it's a magnetic clip to let you carry a spare mag in your pocket. It just holds the magazine with a magnet, so you pull it off the clip while it stays attached to your pocket. Apparently it's not actually that great because the magnet attracts the clip itself so strongly that the magazine might fall off when you try to attach it your pocket, it's really obvious what you're carrying (which defeats the point of concealed carry), and it only works with magnetic magazines and that gun's factory mags aren't magnetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Delta Force personnel are called "Operators", and they are the qunitisential badass commando archetype. The military at large has started using "operator" as a coloqialism for any special operations guys.

Also it came about to differentiate the "go on missions" people from the people who are in Delta Force but are doing support stuff.

• Locked thread