Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Do not take your mom on an interview trip. no bueno. bad. it’s supposed to be for your partner and if you take your mom it’ll seem super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i disagree, take mom and treat her to a nice dinner on the company’s dime

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I don't have a partner, and I'm not going to take my mom to the actual interview or anything funny like that. She would just be there to hang out with me around VA. The wording is for a "someone that is part of the decision making process." I just don't have any other people I could take, and since it's very unlikely I take the actual offer I was thinking I'd just treat her to a trip out to the east coast.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
lol unless you’re planning on having your mom move in with you then don’t do that poo poo. it’s for someone who is actually going to be affected by the move if you decide to take the job

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

taking a friend would be way less weird than taking your mom

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lol. Take her but don't say she's your mom.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Sadly I just moved back home and I don't really have other friends that can go with me in the middle of July. I would also rather take a friend, it's just that there aren't any with me in the area who can go without taking time off their internships or work.

I'll probably just end up going solo in that case if it would come off as too weird. Again, I'm not in any pressure to get this job, my main concern is just building up some more interviewing experience and visiting another semiconductor fab to form my own comparisons.

e; oh yeah I don't have to say she's my mom...

e2; my mom doesn't even want to go to Virginia actually lol :shrug: it's too middle of nowhere for her tastes.

cerious fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 1, 2018

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Just go solo, it's fine

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
it is 100% for your spouse, but it's super illegal to treat you any differently depending on whether you have one, so they have to weasel it that way. if they figure out what you're actually doing they're going to assume that either you're an idiot or you're trying to grift from them before even being hired, and it will not be a good look for you.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

They will literally never find out

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Back when I was younger (a long time ago :sigh:) before I was married I would always wear a ring to any interview, I want to say I heard it telegraphs like, responsibility?

This is MKE though, in SV it would probably be a negative because you'll have someone in your life saying "Hey, maybe you shouldn't work 75 goddamn hours a week?" which might make you NOT A GOOD CULTURAL FIT?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the ability to bring someone with you is for people are aren't such complete losers that they don't have a significant other

go alone

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

qhat posted:

They will literally never find out

unless theyre booking the flights

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

unless theyre booking the flights

They won't know she is his mother as opposed to his spouse just by booking plane tickets.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

qhat posted:

They won't know she is his mother as opposed to his spouse just by booking plane tickets.

they’ll notice his lack of wedding ring, or they’ll ask how
his
spouse
likes va.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
this whole convo is weird

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

this whole convo is weird

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
UM ACTUALLY CHECKMATEing the spousal +1 is pretty goony

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

post a craigslist ad for a cool bro to go bro around in va with, really throw a wrench in everything

also buy a cheap ring off the clearance rack in k-mart to avoid any awkward questions

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Take a sex worker with you and make this a real coming of age story

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I once heard a story of a guy taking his mother to the actual loving interview. I thought that was pretty weird.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

qhat posted:

I once heard a story of a guy taking his mother to the actual loving interview. I thought that was pretty weird.

i think someone here mentioned something like that, or having parents call in after the interview.

when i interviewed at Epic in Madison there was a guy taking his family around on a tour of the campus after he interviewed.
for real though if the company says you and a guest and then gets pissy when the guest isn't a spouse or sig fig or something idk, maybe they are bad?? (all companies are bad)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Back when I was younger (a long time ago :sigh:) before I was married I would always wear a ring to any interview, I want to say I heard it telegraphs like, responsibility?

This is MKE though, in SV it would probably be a negative because you'll have someone in your life saying "Hey, maybe you shouldn't work 75 goddamn hours a week?" which might make you NOT A GOOD CULTURAL FIT?

lol thats incredibly dumb

AWWNAW posted:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaman Linavi posted:

i think someone here mentioned something like that, or having parents call in after the interview.

it's a possibly-apocryphal helicopter parent story that makes the rounds from time to time, at least

quote:

when i interviewed at Epic in Madison there was a guy taking his family around on a tour of the campus after he interviewed.
for real though if the company says you and a guest and then gets pissy when the guest isn't a spouse or sig fig or something idk, maybe they are bad?? (all companies are bad)

they almost assuredly won't get outwardly pissy. the risk is just that the post-interview conversation will consist entirely of "can you believe the guy brought his mom, wtf, pass." or the hiring team might be so insulated from the hr logistician that they never know. or they might think it's hilarious. regardless, the correct answer is definitely

AWWNAW posted:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Schadenboner posted:

Becoming a dad makes me think so much less of my own capacity to be responsible or make decisions when I was single, in a relationship, or DINKing it.

All of this is literally illegal to bring to the table when I'm looking at candidates, which is definitely a good thing.

edit: It's like when a friend of a friend owns an apartment and your friend says "Well, he does some dubious things with who he lets rent his apartments" and your mind immediately goes to "that racist piece of poo poo". And then your friend says "you know, like he never rents to anyone with kids" and your mind says "well, that's bad for society as a whole and clearly illegal, but good thing he's not racist"

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 2, 2018

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qhat posted:

please more details

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

this would be infinitely better than taking your mom

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

i'm truly shocked nobody has posted "so their mom" yet

shocked

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm truly shocked nobody has posted "so their mom" yet

shocked

I thought it but felt like it'd be way too rude you know

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
don't momisasexworkershame

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

Having a ring in either location doesn't work well for me because the other ring in the pair is on another lady's finger.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jit bull transpile posted:

Having a ring in either location doesn't work well for me because the other ring in the pair is on another lady's finger.

Although back in Wisconsin at least people would just assume I had a husband without even asking so I could just roll with it if I got a bad vibe.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

this would be infinitely better than taking your mom

maybe my mom is a sex worker? didn't think of that did you

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you didn't tell them your expectations, then it is time to take their offer, crank it up 15-20%, and ask for that
so i did this and got an extra 10 gs. not bad for an email and a phone call

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

The Leck posted:

so i did this and got an extra 10 gs. not bad for an email and a phone call

Hell, take your rear end out for dinner and drinks. Way to write an email and make a phone call.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yep. go out and buy yourself a big rack of ribs

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

yep. go out and buy yourself a big rack of ribs

In fact, do this every night of the year to reduce yourself back down to the original salary.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shaman Linavi posted:

eh i mean the epic campus is basically a minigolf course and in the modern instagram era you might as well get a happy fam pic next to the giant plastic snake before descending into a world of torment and pain

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
heard back from an edtech company i thought i bombed the interview for and they want to meet me again, so that's cool i guess

also went to talk to a business intelligence/marketing tech company that claimed to have implemented their own datastore on amazon s3 using amazon lambdas for querying. is this as much of a red flag as it smells like to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TheFluff posted:

also went to talk to a business intelligence/marketing tech company that claimed to have implemented their own datastore on amazon s3 using amazon lambdas for querying. is this as much of a red flag as it smells like to me?

lol this sounds awful

I’ll take “what is sql, but worse for 800 Alex”