Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boiled Water posted:

lol this sounds awful

I’ll take “what is sql, but worse for 800 Alex”

i'll take "what is athena for 1000 alex"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

now that looks neat

i wonder how much more expensive it is than just a sql server

or is it on top of an already existing sql server? :ohdear:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Blinkz0rz posted:

Is this AWS's answer to bigquery? Or is that redshift? I'm not familiar with AWS these days.

I would definitely ask why they felt the need to create their own querying engine on top of S3, maybe it predates a lot of these new services and it'll be a bunch of legacy maintenance crap, or maybe there really is some niche need it fills, which could be kind of cool. Either way asking "why not this" makes you look good so long as you aren't a dick about it.

Boiled Water posted:

The data's being served from S3 so its probably for huge analytics loads vs more transactional stuff like relational databases.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
god help you if the reason it exists is 'our athena queries were running longer than 30 minutes and timing out'

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
as far as i understood it, it was the realtime backend for some kind of advertising stats tool. he mentioned it was "cool for a startup to be able to throw 1000 cores at a query for two seconds"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

TheFluff posted:

some kind of advertising stats tool

Whoops nevermind adtech is boring

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boiled Water posted:

now that looks neat

i wonder how much more expensive it is than just a sql server

it's very very expensive and not at all a 1-1 match for a rdbms. it's designed to query structured s3 objects and is both as slow and as brittle as you'd expect

the only time i've used it was ad hoc querying cloudtrail logs which already has a schema definition available

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Whoops nevermind adtech is boring

it is really easy and pays well though so its a pretty good job if you have good hobbies

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's very very expensive and not at all a 1-1 match for a rdbms. it's designed to query structured s3 objects and is both as slow and as brittle as you'd expect

the only time i've used it was ad hoc querying cloudtrail logs which already has a schema definition available

that sounds horrible

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

that sounds horrible

it is

not having to learn a new, proprietary query language is nice tho

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

$5 per TB of data scanned

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Edit: nvm

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 4, 2018

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Athena is good if you have a few hundo tb of data in s3 buckets and you don’t want to reinvent the wheel on querying that data

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

we've used athena a lot at work and (compared to our in-house unmaintained hive/presto thing) it is super needs-suiting for us!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

athena is great. it's just presto that you pay for per byte instead of per second. at a prior job we cut our spend by 70% by switching from presto on emr to athena queries

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Just did one of those "programming" puzzles that was a mix of figuring out poo poo was in base64, sql injections, fixing bugs, etc to get the next answer. One of the steps was to send a hex value via PATCH to a url.

The value it wanted was '0xBAD'

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

Becoming a dad makes me think so much less of my own capacity to be responsible or make decisions when I was single, in a relationship, or DINKing it.

All of this is literally illegal to bring to the table when I'm looking at candidates, which is definitely a good thing.

edit: It's like when a friend of a friend owns an apartment and your friend says "Well, he does some dubious things with who he lets rent his apartments" and your mind immediately goes to "that racist piece of poo poo". And then your friend says "you know, like he never rents to anyone with kids" and your mind says "well, that's bad for society as a whole and clearly illegal, but good thing he's not racist"

:same: for all of this and the illegality of the question they'd have to ask is sort of :thejoke:. It's like a signalling thing (at least it was for me in my mid-20s, now probably not)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 5, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kilometres Davis posted:

Just did one of those "programming" puzzles that was a mix of figuring out poo poo was in base64, sql injections, fixing bugs, etc to get the next answer. One of the steps was to send a hex value via PATCH to a url.

dsyp

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Kilometres Davis posted:

Speaking of subtle signalling, is this the sort of thing a company has three weeks to blow on because they are doing well, or because there is no business to keep them occupied? Hmm.

edit: I say as my google search opens up a giant maw and presents me a multi-hour coding test to see if I'm good enough for google.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

TimWinter posted:

Speaking of subtle signalling, is this the sort of thing a company has three weeks to blow on because they are doing well, or because there is no business to keep them occupied? Hmm.

edit: I say as my google search opens up a giant maw and presents me a multi-hour coding test to see if I'm good enough for google.

have you been on the other end of the interviewing cycle? it's an unending stream of idiots who have no idea what they're doing with resumes that you would plausibly want to hire

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah there's a lot of bad to wade through to find decent people

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yeah ok, except if that was true, all of us itt would pass every interview we ever take with flying colors, because we're decent at our jobs right? yet i bet you have all bombed an interview, and that day you were, or at least appeared to be, one of the "idiots who have no idea what they're doing with resumes that you would plausibly want to hire". on the other hand, many common interview questions can be studied for and faked. so exactly what signal do we suppose we're getting here, and how do we separate it from the noise?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah ok, except if that was true, all of us itt would pass every interview we ever take with flying colors, because we're decent at our jobs right? yet i bet you have all bombed an interview, and that day you were, or at least appeared to be, one of the "idiots who have no idea what they're doing with resumes that you would plausibly want to hire". on the other hand, many common interview questions can be studied for and faked. so exactly what signal do we suppose we're getting here, and how do we separate it from the noise?

it's cheaper in the long run to be selective and pass on qualified candidates than it is to take a chance and hire someone that's terrible.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because we're decent at our jobs right?
lol

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's cheaper in the long run to be selective and pass on qualified candidates than it is to take a chance and hire someone that's terrible.

:wrong:

a bad hire should be easy to gently manage out or isolate where they can't do any real damage until you can turn them into a somewhat okay hire. they cost you a little bit of money and a little bit of productivity (for wasted time onboarding or ongoing training) but that's about it

the cost you pay for passing on qualified candidates is unfilled roles and increased time spent hunting unicorns. the productivity cost is massive even if the money-out-the-door cost seems minimal

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've increasingly become convinced that if your org can't prevent a bad hire from being actively harmful then it's probably also doing a terrible job of maximizing the value of your good hires.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

a bad hire should be easy to gently manage out or isolate where they can't do any real damage until you can turn them into a somewhat okay hire. they cost you a little bit of money and a little bit of productivity (for wasted time onboarding or ongoing training) but that's about it

the cost you pay for passing on qualified candidates is unfilled roles and increased time spent hunting unicorns. the productivity cost is massive even if the money-out-the-door cost seems minimal

bad hire includes weirdos that cause sexual harassment lawsuits that costs way more real dollars than whatever costs come from unfulfilled roles.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a lot of the stuff you need done doesnt require super productive people to do it reasonably well

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm way more productive in my current job than my last one and I'm pretty sure I'm not that different.

There's something to organizational efficiency. A lot of something.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

agree to disagree then

my old team hired on 2 objectively bad candidates because they were having trouble with recruiting and felt like they just needed butts in seats. it took around 6 months to finally manage them both out. in those 6 months the team lost 2 other members to unrelated issues and the net effect of replacing 2 good employees with 2 bad ones was a massive drop in morale for the rest of the team to the point that i genuinely believed that the other 3 would leave and the team would fold.

being selective about your candidates isn't unicorn hunting it's about making sure that the people you do hire can actually do the work with the team. if that means that you reject candidates you're on the fence about, so be it.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I wish contract to hire didn't have a stigma around it; we've gotten some really good people out of our contract to hires (they didn't mind the stigma, and/or appreciated the 60 days to evaluate us). I don't know if I'd ever try one though, but ideally it would allow companies to be a little more lax with hiring knowing that worst case they can get rid of them in a month or two at most.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ADINSX posted:

I wish contract to hire didn't have a stigma around it; we've gotten some really good people out of our contract to hires (they didn't mind the stigma, and/or appreciated the 60 days to evaluate us). I don't know if I'd ever try one though, but ideally it would allow companies to be a little more lax with hiring knowing that worst case they can get rid of them in a month or two at most.

It's because contract-to-hire is never ever time-limited on the company side (and this is done at no expense to the company), 60 becomes 90 becomes "next quarter" becomes "next FY". You can't expect worker trust when a large segment of the industry's entire business model revolves around denying workers any stability or leverage in the employment relationship.

:shrug:

E: Maybe an hours contract, with a "poo poo or get off the pot" clause whereby the rate goes sharply up after the 60 day hour-equivalent is reached/breached would work?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 6, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

E: Maybe an hours contract, with a "poo poo or get off the pot" clause whereby the rate goes sharply up after the 60 day hour-equivalent is reached/breached would work?

This is the correct way to do it but it also assumes that you have the leverage to make that demand

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is the correct way to do it but it also assumes that you have the leverage to make that demand

"Leverage"? Sounds like communism to me, bucko.

:fsmug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

My current job was this and so was the one before it.

Schadenboner posted:

It's because contract-to-hire is never ever time-limited on the company side (and this is done at no expense to the company), 60 becomes 90 becomes "next quarter" becomes "next FY". You can't expect worker trust when a large segment of the industry's entire business model revolves around denying workers any stability or leverage in the employment relationship.

And this is exactly what happened to me both times. Same with literally everyone else I've met that has contracted. IMO only take a contract if you really need the work.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Oh I guess I never realized that. I figured it was a 60-90 day mutual evaluation period and at the end its either hire or no hire.

Like I said, I've never considered it mostly because of stigma, I want the company to hire me as a full employee and I'll still gently caress off after a few months and just have a gap in my resume if the job is lovely.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ADINSX posted:

ideally it would allow companies to be a little more lax with hiring knowing that worst case they can get rid of them in a month or two at most.

we do ‘probationary’ periods for new starters - gives new hires six months to their first proper evaluation and if they’re not measuring up contract says we can let them go. ok it’s a bit longer than ‘a month or two at most’ but it still gives you a written-down ‘out’ that you can’t really lawyer against.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

yeah in my experience "contract to hire" jobs often never quite get around to the "to hire" part. worse, its hard as an employee to know if a CtH position is an actually a gateway to a full time offer, or if they were planning to string you along the whole time, until you actually work at the job for a few months and figure out the lay of the land

my advice is to take the CtH position if it appeals to you (you need a job right now and cant be too choosy, its an opportunity at a company/field you really want to work for/in, youre changing career paths, etc) but to put a strict limit on conversion to full time - if after 60 days (or whatever) theyre still hemming and deflecting about bringing you on full time, restart your job hunt

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Janitor Prime posted:

bad hire includes weirdos that cause sexual harassment lawsuits that costs way more real dollars than whatever costs come from unfulfilled roles.

okay cool tell me how arduous technical interviews and rejecting candidates who used iteration instead of recursion to solve some problem (or vice versa if you're a c++ or python shop) prevents future sexual harassment cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

agree to disagree then

my old team hired on 2 objectively bad candidates because they were having trouble with recruiting and felt like they just needed butts in seats. it took around 6 months to finally manage them both out. in those 6 months the team lost 2 other members to unrelated issues and the net effect of replacing 2 good employees with 2 bad ones was a massive drop in morale for the rest of the team to the point that i genuinely believed that the other 3 would leave and the team would fold.

being selective about your candidates isn't unicorn hunting it's about making sure that the people you do hire can actually do the work with the team. if that means that you reject candidates you're on the fence about, so be it.

you had two open spots and you lost two additional employees in six months and you think your hiring practices were to blame?