Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viridiant posted:

I'm glad MHA is promoting unconventional family units with Aizawa being a single dad raising a girl he adopted. It might be my favorite thing in MHA right now.

Aizawa is underappreciated, I think. He's possibly the single most selfless dude in the story, maybe even surpassing All Might, and that's not a slam on All Might. Aizawa is a guy who is basically a surrogate father to an entire classroom of kids, has almost died saving their lives on multiple occasions, has let himself get lit up in the media to try to protect their futures, and was basically forced to adopt a young girl with a horribly dangerous power by circumstances and just rose to the occasion without complaint.

It's pretty amazing considering that he's introduced as an anti-social misanthrope who looks like a drifter and one of his very first actions in the series is to tell the protagonists they don't have any potential and how he's going to fail one or more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
He's just a prickly cuddly bear.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
My favorite Aizawa moment is the little talk he has with Deku before they go out and rescue Eri.
He can be a hard rear end but I doubt anyone knows these kids better than he does.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I really liked that one flashback panel of Aziawa comforting Mirio after Nighteye's death.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

At long last the Mina - Ochako throwdown we've been waiting for.

Kanos posted:

Aizawa is underappreciated, I think. He's possibly the single most selfless dude in the story, maybe even surpassing All Might, and that's not a slam on All Might. Aizawa is a guy who is basically a surrogate father to an entire classroom of kids, has almost died saving their lives on multiple occasions, has let himself get lit up in the media to try to protect their futures, and was basically forced to adopt a young girl with a horribly dangerous power by circumstances and just rose to the occasion without complaint.

It's pretty amazing considering that he's introduced as an anti-social misanthrope who looks like a drifter and one of his very first actions in the series is to tell the protagonists they don't have any potential and how he's going to fail one or more of them.

I used to wonder why the hell he always ranked so high on the character polls, but yeah... good guy Aizawa.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

At long last the Mina - Ochako throwdown we've been waiting for.

Let's go Alien Queen. :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheTrotsworth/status/1014486096804134912

Oh, this can only ever end well...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Look, someone had to wear it. :shrug:

[source]

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

never forget that Aizawa let Momo pass the final exam even after she missed the catapult trigger on the first try

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Rhonne posted:

[source]

This is great. :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

[source]

Beautiful.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
found.jpg

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MHA is a nice wholesome manga that everyone should read

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

MHA is a nice wholesome manga that everyone should read

oh my god my heart

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

about to watch thr movie at AX goons, will trip report

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

so godzilla is straight up in the movie

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

so godzilla is straight up in the movie

Go on...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What's his quirk?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's his quirk?

laser breath

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can't find the image but someone translated a recent interview and apparently the scene where baby Deku is playing rescue with his mom is literally something from Horikoshi's childhood that he did with his mom. He said something to the effect of "It's a minor scene I don't imagine anyone thought much of but I cried when I wrote it."

Also the thing where Amajiki meets Mirio after being too awkward to properly introduce himself in class is also something from his own childhood that happened.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I can't find the image but someone translated a recent interview and apparently the scene where baby Deku is playing rescue with his mom is literally something from Horikoshi's childhood that he did with his mom. He said something to the effect of "It's a minor scene I don't imagine anyone thought much of but I cried when I wrote it."

Also the thing where Amajiki meets Mirio after being too awkward to properly introduce himself in class is also something from his own childhood that happened.

There have been a decent number of people riffing off of it, I think it resonated with more people than Horokoshi thinks

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It helps that it is a really adorable scene.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

wholesome

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well I'm misty-eyed now, Horikoshi. :3:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Go on...

they mention that his quirk is very powerful. I assume it is just his being godzilla.

Movie was overall good. first five minutes and last 25 where the best, thr middle had pacing issues and recaped a lot of stuff (Deku getting his quirk etc.). Was worth it for the father son kamehameha moment near the end

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The main thing I've seen from fan reactions to the movie is that Bakugo and Kirishima are basically a dating in it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

they mention that his quirk is very powerful. I assume it is just his being godzilla.

Movie was overall good. first five minutes and last 25 where the best, thr middle had pacing issues and recaped a lot of stuff (Deku getting his quirk etc.). Was worth it for the father son kamehameha moment near the end

That's generally the way shonen manga movies go, a bombastic opening followed by a wandering middle as they struggle to get their pieces in place for the explosive ending. (Minus the best ones, but those are few.) 5 plus 25 minutes is a solid chunk of quality so hell, I'll take it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh gently caress don't do this to me the Gohan's father/son kamehameha against Cell is one of my favorite DBZ moments

Rhonne posted:

The main thing I've seen from fan reactions to the movie is that Bakugo and Kirishima are basically a dating in it.

Even taking into account that people's threshold for "basically dating" for that kind of ship is... unreliably low?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Even taking into account that people's threshold for "basically dating" for that kind of ship is... unreliably low?

From what I've read Bakugou got invited to the island for winning the sports festival and invites Kirishima as his +1, they share a hotel room, and Kirishima bought them matching suits. They also end up getting lost fight villains together separate from the rest of the class.

Granted, this is also people exaggerating things to fit their ships, but it's nice to see that their friendship gets a big focus, especially since this is supposed to take place before the training camp arc.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 6, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

laser breath

Breathing lasers is just a physical quality he has, like being a giant lizard; his actual quirk is his sick dancing ability.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

From what I've read Bakugou got invited to the island for winning the sports festival and invites Kirishima as his +1, they share a hotel room, and Kirishima bought them matching suits. They also end up getting lost fight villains together separate from the rest of the class.

Granted, this is also people exaggerating things to fit their ships, but it's nice to see that their friendship gets a big focus, especially since this is supposed to take place before the training camp arc.

Yeah I'm pretty sure those shipping goggles are near telescopic if that's the case

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

:3:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure those shipping goggles are near telescopic if that's the case

yeah they are, but yeah that desc is pretty on the nose for what they do in the movie

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rhonne posted:

Oh jeez people are probably falling all over themselves over those matching suits. They are probably the best designed outfits though.

It's pretty neat how even in a class of 25 kids Hirikoshi has taken the time to develop a bunch of friendships outside of Deku's immediate sphere. Each time he pairs people off it seems to leave a mark.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh jeez people are probably falling all over themselves over those matching suits. They are probably the best designed outfits though.

It's pretty neat how even in a class of 25 kids Hirikoshi has taken the time to develop a bunch of friendships outside of Deku's immediate sphere. Each time he pairs people off it seems to leave a mark.

20 Kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah, I always love it whenever Deku has to team up with someone outside of his immediate friendship circle. Like, if you told be the next arc would have Deku teaming up with like Sero, Hagakure, and Shoji for a while, I'd be all like "gently caress yeah, bring it on!"