Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep. We need to balance between our own safety and making this look good for our client.

We could also get -really- devious and arrange to start some rumors about the 'Witch Queen Of The Waves' having some great weakness. Gives us an excuse to throw the fight that doesn't hurt the reoutation, and misdirects any serious heroes to go questing for a MacGuffin instead of coming straight for our necks.

We're staying pretty anonymous here, they'll see heroes take the castle and the water elementals will disappear. Not much to chase after after that - and even if a hero or two comes, irwin and seaglass could use company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep. We need to balance between our own safety and making this look good for our client.

We could also get -really- devious and arrange to start some rumors about the 'Witch Queen Of The Waves' having some great weakness. Gives us an excuse to throw the fight that doesn't hurt the reoutation, and misdirects any serious heroes to go questing for a MacGuffin instead of coming straight for our necks.

We've done enough for our client already, haven't we? They just needed plausible deniability, the rival kingdom probably knows we're working for the client no matter what we do because every kingdom seems to rely on monster island for their deniable ops.

If we're going to spread rumors, why not spread rumors of an evil Witch King who keeps a kindhearted and fabulously wealthy Squid Princess captive? "Thank you for rescuing me heroes. My family will surely reward you with castles and magical items. Oh no, the Witch King is returning! Quick, hide in this airtight closet behind the throne until he drops his guard."

Spread a rumor the Witch King is only vulnerable during full moons so we can work without interference for most of the month and set enemy heroes working on a predictable schedule. Or maybe a rumor that the evil Witch King captured the Squid Princess because it was said in a prophecy that the Witch King could only be defeated with the help of the Squid Princess' blessing.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 27, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nephzinho posted:

A & B. Let's tell them the castle is ready for the taking, but that we need to collect tolls for a time to build up the mystique of things. If they just roll into the castle it will be like there was no threat, but if some more ships are terrorized and humans murdered/experimented on, their taking the castle will be seen as a heroic feat and their enemies will think twice before trying to take it for themselves. Let's have some fun experimenting with Bad Tidings and getting some new minions while we're in a relatively low pressure job - even if a serious threat comes, we can just leave. We are in a goddamn fortress, and if anyone tries to sneak in we have Irwin watching for other-rogues.

Yeah, we can do that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

A & B. Let's tell them the castle is ready for the taking, but that we need to collect tolls for a time to build up the mystique of things. If they just roll into the castle it will be like there was no threat, but if some more ships are terrorized and humans murdered/experimented on, their taking the castle will be seen as a heroic feat and their enemies will think twice before trying to take it for themselves. Let's have some fun experimenting with Bad Tidings and getting some new minions while we're in a relatively low pressure job - even if a serious threat comes, we can just leave. We are in a goddamn fortress, and if anyone tries to sneak in we have Irwin watching for other-rogues.
Yup

Liquid Communism posted:

No need, we're not here as far as they're concerned. Just some uppity elementals. Let's make more elementals to staff for castle before someone starts asking why an ocean needs a castle.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Plan Neph

Also stick in a few underwater secret tunnels into the fortress. Primarily into the commander's quarters, the treasure room, weapons storage and other tactically important areas.

Don't let anyone see who we are, for this one only use avatars and disposable minions who have been mind wiped.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

Plan Neph

Also stick in a few underwater secret tunnels into the fortress. Primarily into the commander's quarters, the treasure room, weapons storage and other tactically important areas.

Don't let anyone see who we are, for this one only use avatars and disposable minions who have been mind wiped.

yeah switching to this.Ok this sounds pretty great. Get the two powers to cyclically hire us every few years to help retake the fortress for them without either knowing we helped the other.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

yeah switching to this.Ok this sounds pretty great. Get the two powers to cyclically hire us every few years to help retake the fortress for them without either knowing we helped the other.

You know, we could always say the manafont created by the raising of the fortress was unstable/wierd/we detected a wierd presence in the area, and when we tried to take it for ourselves something swooped in and... Ate it? Very odd. Anyway it appears there's some sort of rogue water elemental in the area and we really don't want to be here, this wasn't in the contract. Can you please come and defeat me already?

Then we plunder ships in the area until they pay someone with oceanic monster experience to take it out.

E: Oh poo poo, WE have oceanic monster experience.

Yes we can help as soon as we're done with our current job, yes we can cancel that job but we need you to pay out the rest of that contract as well. And if we defeat it we need you to add us to your kingdom's list of authorized heros.

Then have the exact same conversation with the other kingdom.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 28, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:allears: I'm on board with all of these shenanigans

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Taking your Toll

With the external work nearing completion, Sarga steps into a projection circle and contacts her employers.
”Ms Scrawgill. We have heard of a new force that is terrorising the straits. I assume you are nearing completion of the work?” The bureaucrat on the other end says as his ghostly form appears in front of her.
”Yes. I need some more time though, if you are wanting this to be a credible threat. I would advise only sending the ships you can afford to lose the cargo of into the waters.” She replies.
”You would attack our ships?” he blusters. We hired you to do this job, and you would attack us!”
”If I attack only one side, then I will be seen to be working for you, if I go for both I can be written off as a rogue evildoer. Hence my warning to keep valuable traffic from the straits, or to let me know if there are any ships you want my forces to avoid.”
”I...I… I see the wisdom, though I may have hard times explaining the losses to my liege.”
”I will leave a portion of the tolls I collect in the fortress, you will be able to take those and claim them as official dungeon loot - any heroes you send in will of course take a cut, but that will at least cover some of the damage - shall we say twenty five percent?”
”Seventy five. With such a large amount of gold missing, people will talk.”
”Fifty. Everyone knows that we have to send a large amount of gold back to the isle to pay for workers. Even evil minions don’t work for free.”
”Agreed.” he sighs. ”please contact us when you are ready for us to take the fortress, I hear our enemies are already prepping their own fleet.”
”A few more weeks, that is all.” Sarga replies, nods, and dispels the charm.

Returning to the work area, she looks at the fine work on the castle. It was sure to be a focus of many wars to come, and she was sure there would be more work for villains in the future.
”Holta!” She calls, and waits until the Beaverwoman arrives.
”Mistress?” she asks, pushing back a rather jaunty hat.
”I wish for you to begin construction of a secret entrance to this place, in case we need to return at a later date. Make it somewhere in the deeper levels, and make it hard to find. I would like a back door to this place. Oh and Holta.”
”Yes mistress?” Holta pauses as she begins to turn away.
”Tell Seaglass and the others to get ready for more raiding. Would you and your people like some more kin?”
”Aye Mistress.” Holta replies with a smile.

The first ship to try and run the blockade though speed would save it. The crew were running spices and grain, and just put more sail to the wind as the giant floating skull asked for their toll. Sarga knew they would, most people don’t want to think they can be defeated by something. Humans are so slow to learn.
Sarga dealt with the crew of thirty herself. Rising from the sea herself, the crew fired off a couple of ineffectual bolts at her before she levelled Bad Tidings at the ship and spoke one word.
”Transmuta.”
The ship itself continued on as if nothing had happened. The crew on the other hand fell to the floor screaming, fur sprouted from their bodies and their front teeth erupted forward, a tail sprouted from their back and they were quickly left lying on the deck in shock. Holta and her crew arrived on deck to take command.
”We can assure their loyalties.” Holta replies. The ship, once known as the Aragon, now lies docked at the jetties off the Fortress, they crew were wandering around the shore in shock, looking at their hands, their tails, fleeing their teeth with new fingers. ”Like us, they will come to enjoy this new form, but we shall watch them for now. The crew numbered thirty, but one fell from the crows nest during the change and broke his neck.”
She returned to setting them to task of unloading the cargo into the vaults. There was a small amount of gold.

The next couple of weeks lead to more gold flowing in - while many ships were avoiding the strait, more were willing to pay the new toll to continue business - Sarga knew that they would be increasing the costs downstream.
There was one ship that did not slow however, an elven ship, white hulled an sleek. They got the shock of their shortened lives when the Aragon, propelled by magical currents Sarga called up, caught up with their vessel and disgorged a pack of angry and heavily armed Beaver People.
Lead by the Stingrays, they were quickly overwhelmed and put to the sword. They did not even attempt to surrender.
When they searched the hold, they found no gold, no cargo, only a single ornate case. When opened, it contained a piece of wood nestles on a silken pillow. What it was, Sarga had no idea, but she placed it into the vault.

Finally, the hostile fleet was sighted. Ten ships flying war pennants. She could feel the mages on board and knew there would be many heros here.

1 - Magic Shall take them on the water.
2 - Let them land, then watch them batter themselves against this great fortress.
3 - Take the gold and flee.

Sorry for the slow updates work and the heat are kicking my rear end - the latter because my son is waking up at 4-30am every day!
Not dead yet though!

quote:

Mana = 130/450 1 Large Manawell 317/1000
Gold = 9,000 + 4500 in the castle. 10 tonnes spices, 20 tonnes grain. Some Elven artifact.

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
34 Beaverpeople. (lead by Holta.)

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (2 crates on hand)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
First thought: that piece of wood is a trap. A teleport target or similar.

1 They mean business and will have magical support of their own. Engage as far away from the fortress as we can as an opener.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Is it our clients fleet or the rival nation?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah that's a big difference.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Their rivals.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Grey Hunter posted:

Their rivals.

Do we have enough Mana just to straight up sink them or polymorph them?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can we change pieces of the hull into eels that then consider it their purpose in life to get up inside the crew? Perfect distract/sink combo.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Blasphemaster posted:

Can we change pieces of the hull into eels that then consider it their purpose in life to get up inside the crew? Perfect distract/sink combo.

Sounds great!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

This is a terrible idea. +1

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You may have warded the crew but did you ward the bulkheads? I'm down for plan eels.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Bonus points if we can make our talking water skull sing the song.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Blasphemaster posted:

Those Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Supplement the power of bad tidings with the mana wellto execute plan eels. Take no risks with the mages being able to mount a defense.

Begin having the beaversons load the ship with our gold and cargo to make for the sapphire isle. Carry the artifact and travel there via portal with the stingrays ourselves after taking care of the ships.

Examine the artifact - it is probably a seed from a sacred and or magical tree. If there is a defensive position with soil in the sapphire isle, plant it there. Otherwise, crate a vault and store it in it.

Let's check in with the isle after this to make improvements to the facilities and maybe improve it into a proper lair.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Just rent out a secure storage box back at a bank on the evil island to keep it safe until we can id it

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Raise the sunken Lethrian ship we capsized earlier with a whirlpool some weeks prior, and have it fight against the warships like a horrible zombie boat until it is completely and utterly destroyed.

Before lifting the ship above the water's surface, we transmogrify the skeletal, water-logged crew from the Lethrian ship into eldritch undead man-beasts, capable of manning the ghost ship's cannons with tentacle and claw.

While the enemy warships are battling an undead opponent that magically refuses to sink, we turn their ships' wooden planks into eels from the inside out, as described by the other tacticians before me.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Blasphemaster posted:

+1

Just making a massive pit in the water would probably work too. The first ship to fall in the pit might be intact for a moment, but only until the other ships started falling ontop of it.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 3, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sheep-dodger posted:

Just rent out a secure storage box back at a bank on the evil island to keep it safe until we can id it

The best plan. 'We have come to reclaim our ancestral treasure!' 'Good luck, it's in a safety deposit box somewhere on another continent.'

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Prince of Space posted:

Raise the sunken Lethrian ship we capsized earlier with a whirlpool some weeks prior, and have it fight against the warships like a horrible zombie boat until it is completely and utterly destroyed.

Before lifting the ship above the water's surface, we transmogrify the skeletal, water-logged crew from the Lethrian ship into eldritch undead man-beasts, capable of manning the ghost ship's cannons with tentacle and claw.

While the enemy warships are battling an undead opponent that magically refuses to sink, we turn their ships' wooden planks into eels from the inside out, as described by the other tacticians before me.

So...we create our setting's version of some kind of Flying Dutchman? We really are trying to turn this into a Mighty Boosh episode. :3:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I am fully down with everything suggested so far. Buttdriver eels sound loving terrifying and they'll create massive panic. How can you fight when you're trying to stop something from actively, aggressively trying to ram itself up your rear end? Simple answer: you can't.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Liquid Communism posted:

The best plan. 'We have come to reclaim our ancestral treasure!' 'Good luck, it's in a safety deposit box somewhere on another continent.'

We're aquatic. Just burying it in a sealed lead box* in some random reef.

*Or whatever blocks detection spells

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

We're aquatic. Just burying it in a sealed lead box* in some random reef.

*Or whatever blocks detection spells

Inactivated derpite

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Pure Eelvil.

”Let’s see how good you are….” Sarag says, mainly to herself, pushing her thoughts out to the ships ahead.
There was a mage on each ship it seemed, and they were spending all of their might in creating powerful wards that protected the ships occupants. A couple of probing spells were deflected, and she had to pull herself back to contemplate her next move.
She decided to go smaller.

They had done a good job with the wards, they extended to the hull of the ship, and Sarga assumed after the last attempt, there would be other mages on hand to deflect any movement in the water. She had one trick left though.

The barnacles on the ships hulls were not shielded. Why would they? It’s not like a barnacle ever hurt anyone. They were clinging to the hull of each ship, numerous and dorment.
Bad Tidings changed that.
The spell was much simpler than changing a human into something, but it was more numerous. The creatures on the hulls of the ships began to elongate, but kept the hardened heads, which sprouted vicious jaws as she turned them into armoured Moray eels. She then gave them one thought, one impulse.

Feed.

The mages may have felt the power sweep over them, but they were looking for overt attacks, not changes.
The hold of the ship is packed with troops, praying to gods, checking weapons or getting in some last minute gambling. One stops when he hears something strange, and puts a hand to the hull. He feels vibrations and puts his ear to the wood to try and hear what it is one the other side.
Mercifully, he is dead before he realsies the eel has breached the hull and his skull in a few seconds. Blood splatters across the inside of the hold, and panicked screams erupt, which turn to screams of pain as more eels rip their way through the hull and into the feeding frenzy.

The mages and heros above are alerted to the goings on below, but far to late, they rush forward, some even survive jumping into the hold, but by then there are to many of the things.
One hero pauses at the deck hatch and stares down at the writhing mass of blood covered sea water, red foam and body parts boiling below. He tries to run for his life. He does not get far.

All ten ships are compromised before they even have a chance to react. Hundreds of holes in the hull let the water in, bulkheads are useless against the buckshot style damage the eels do.

Only on the lead ship does Archmage Draxius mount an effective defence. He sends his apprentice to destroy the eels with fire while he thinks quickly and, with immense effort, lifes the entire ship from the water. He looks at the island and turns the ship towards home. He knows that he can only save this ship, and there is no chance of taking the island without more men.

Sarga watches from the top of the keep as the ship floats away from the island. She knows the mage will drop it as soon as all the eels are dead, and he will return. She is more impressed with the nine other ships slipping beneath the blood red waves.
She feels the eels leave the wreaks, bellies full, and take up residence amongst the sharp rocks that ring three sides of the island. They will begin to breed soon, as there is still plentiful amounts of food nearby.

The night settles and she turns her mind to the Elven artifact. She makes arrangements for it to be moved into a magic proofed vault on the Isle. There it would be safe until she figured out where it came from.

Another week passes.
Tolls are given up easily now. The next ship that arrives is flying a new pennant from the top - a red squiggle that it takes Sarga a minute to recognize as an eel - they then pull this down and tie it around the gold they heave into the ocean. Many more ships do this.

She is contacted by the representative of her employers.
”Ms Scrawgill.”
”Representative.” she replies.
”I am afraid you are a victim of your own successes Ms Scrawgill. ” He begins. ”After what people are now calling the ‘Battle of Eel Island’, Our people are clamouring for us to do something about this new threat - it has become politically impossible for us not to move, and the invasion fleet will be departing tonight. I trust you can give us a convincing but winnable battle?”
”Of course my lord. What losses do you deem acceptable.”
”Hum.” The thought of bargaining the lives of his soldiers away did not sit will with this man it seems. ”We can afford no more than twenty percent losses - we have to protect our borders.”
”It will be hard to deliver a realistic battle with just those losses my lord.” Sarga replies.
”Our Vizier has been telling people he has found a way to nutralise the curse of the monster living in the island - a few impressive splashes near the ships should allow them to dock, then you may take your toll from the peasents landing. The expadition will be lead by Sir Gallian, who is an aspiring hero who needs a name under his belt - if you could provide him with a suitable victory, it would be appreciated.”
”I shall do my best, my lord.” Sarga replies.

1 - how do we prepare for this invasion?
A - Create a monster of some form to be our proxy in the battle.
B - Fight and feign our own death.
C - Kill them all, this is our castle now!

2 - Shall we abandon half the loot as promised?
A - Yes
B - No

AOB….

quote:

Mana = 107/450 1 Large Manawell 324/1000
Gold = 8,500 + 7000 in the castle. 10 tonnes spices, 20 tonnes grain. Some Elven artifact.

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
34 Beaverpeople. (lead by Holta.)

[b]At the Sapphire Isle

Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (3 crates on hand)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A - Eels wrapped together in a humanoid shape, it's core some kind of weird fishman with an enlarged but ornamental human brain.
A

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make some expendable minions out of unintelligent ocean life (we don't want our real minions thinking we think they're expendable). Have them fight the soldiers until they are slain. Then use our trident to manipulate water into a vaguely humanoid shape that Sir Gallian can heroically slay. (A)
A

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A

B - only leave 30% instead

Enough gold they can't complain, but a little extra for us.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

35-40% might be safer. They don't know how much we took from their enemies but they know how much they lost and skimming too much might tip them off.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Lone Badger posted:

Make some expendable minions out of unintelligent ocean life (we don't want our real minions thinking we think they're expendable). Have them fight the soldiers until they are slain. Then use our trident to manipulate water into a vaguely humanoid shape that Sir Gallian can heroically slay. (A)
A

I like this idea. No reason to actually put ourselves in harm's way, nobody has actually seen us and survived. A watermonster proxy should be good enough.

Lets endure all of our stuff is off the island first, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah. Phoneposting so lazily quoting myself

Splicer posted:

Yes this. No need for sapience, just amphibious squishy mans. That should hopefully mean no humans needed.

We have water manipulation and monster making, what's our odds on some real elementals? Put a fish skull in all of them for a weak point with some obscure vulnerability like "explodes when struck with a stone of the earth", let our employer know to leak this info to the proper heroes.
but make the elementals people sized and full of eels.

e: Leave a 50/50 split of valuables but take our share entirely in cash and leave the goods as part of their share. The magic wood is obviously outside the agreement, we're just going to take that.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 4, 2018

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The Lone Badger posted:

A

Yup

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

They have to fight through the eels already, a few elementals and what not should be fine.

Beavers will have already long fled and the Irwins will stay behind as our personal bodyguards.

Kill or capture this knight if the opportunity presents itself.

Leave behind only 20% of the treasure, they have no way of knowing what we have already collected and sharing the tolls was never part of the deal.

As we wrap up, head for the Isle and start building our proper lair out of the existing base to better defend the mines, potentially impose upon the quaint town, potentially have a space in which to grow our magic elf tree, and start working on our reputation as the queen of the coral keep.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Lone Badger posted:

A

This, but the humanoid form should have a wierd nonwater skull/brain weak point. At some point in the battle have the water thing envelop the hero and stick a babblefish type thing we've mutated into his sinuses so we can whisper to him in his sleep/kill him remotely later when he's a full fledged hero. Always be scheming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Splicer posted:

Leave a 50/50 split of valuables but take our share entirely in cash and leave the goods as part of their share. The magic wood is obviously outside the agreement, we're just going to take that.

A, A. Take the cash and the artifact.

Make an impressive eel based show of it, but just make a clean break. Our employer may be an idiot, but we are professionals. And we are starting to run low on Mana. Pulling this off without a mistake will considerably raise our profile.