Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Did you follow the instructions in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

I'm having a hard time squaring what you describe with the add bookmark UI that I see. Can you post a screenshot showing what you are seeing?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Seconding screenshot request. You should be able to select "Choose..." or a downward pointing arrow next to the folder drop down menu to see the full folder tree.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Here you go.

I would like to be able to bookmarks into 'Hikes' folder for example, but the 'Hikes' folder doesn't show up as an option when I create a Bookmark.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What happens when you go to Choose?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Have you considered pressing that V arrow button next to the drop-down list?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, just do this:

Ola posted:

select "Choose..." or a downward pointing arrow next to the folder drop down menu to see the full folder tree.

Only the last used folders, up to 5, will show up in the list where you have 3.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So people who like dark themes, you might want to have a look at the Shadowfox theme. It's an auto installing userChrome theme that also themes a bunch of extensions, all the menus, about : screens etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The Dave posted:

What happens when you go to Choose?

AHA! Thanks.

Ola posted:

Only the last used folders, up to 5, will show up in the list where you have 3.

What a silly feature. If it's called "Folder" it should list all folders, not just the last 5. But alright, I just have to go through the motions once for each folder for it to show up on this list.

Thanks all.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What's a good way to save pages in Reader View format to my computer? Up to maybe a month ago I'd just go to File -> Save Page As, but as of recently whenever I open after saving them I just get a blank page like this:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GUI posted:

What's a good way to save pages in Reader View format to my computer? Up to maybe a month ago I'd just go to File -> Save Page As, but as of recently whenever I open after saving them I just get a blank page like this:

Print - select printer - Microsoft print to PDF.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Am I the only one who gets this error ever since Firefox was updated to 61.0? Repeatedly hitting refresh eventually loads the page.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Firefox 61 uses TLS 1.3. From what I've heard, some MITM antivirus and proxy stuff can cause this issue.

Try setting security.tls.version.max in about:config to 3 (from 4). That will disable TLS 1.3 and use TLS 1.2. See if that fixes things for you. If it does, you have something somewhere that is messing things up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I miss old Firefox :sigh:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I miss old Firefox :sigh:

Please elaborate, perhaps we can help you love new Firefox!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
With the older versions I always felt like anything I wanted to do, I could. I would be able to find an extension or script somewhere that would do it. Or I could bodge something together myself and get what I wanted.

Never Firefox seems to be designed around "No, you can't do that. You can only do what WE want. And what we want is not for you to not be able to do very much at all."

Maybe one day the developers of all the extensions I once used will make webextension versions of their stuff, but until then using Firefox just feels so limiting. It's like I'm using Chrome. Yes, it's faster, but it's sacrificed the incredible power of its customisability to chase a market which will never be interested in switching over to them.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2018

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

With the older versions I always felt like anything I wanted to do, I could. I would be able to find an extension or script somewhere that would do it. Or I could bodge something together myself and get what I wanted.

Never Firefox seems to be designed around "No, you can't do that. You can only do what WE want. And what we want is not for you to not be able to do very much at all."

Maybe one day the developers of all the extensions I once used will make webextension versions of their stuff, but until then using Firefox just feels so limiting. It's like I'm using Chrome. Yes, it's faster, but it's sacrificed the incredible power of its customisability to chase a market which will never be interested in switching over to them.

This is sort of real if you're used to the older extensions FF had. They made a choice to remove XUL addons that I really like. I can't speak to all of their reasons for doing it, but removing XUL addons almost certainly resulted in fewer end user compromises based on shady addons.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't know why, but Firefox recently started messing with Windows' 7 suspend-to-disk function. I've got it set to automatically suspend after 30 minutes of inactivity. What happens now is that it will suspend, then immediately wake up again. After a couple of trial and errors, I've concluded that closing FF fixes suspend, it stays asleep.

What's making Firefox do this, I don't know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mike12345 posted:

I don't know why, but Firefox recently started messing with Windows' 7 suspend-to-disk function. I've got it set to automatically suspend after 30 minutes of inactivity. What happens now is that it will suspend, then immediately wake up again. After a couple of trial and errors, I've concluded that closing FF fixes suspend, it stays asleep.

What's making Firefox do this, I don't know.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. My Win 10 suspend is very flaky. Sometimes it won't wake up without a hard reboot, sometimes it powers off. I thought it was chipset driver issues, but Firefox is almost always open, so perhaps it plays a part.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to flip the order of results in the Awesome bar back to how the pre-60 version presented them? I'm trying to get history results listed before search results:

code:
Thing I have typed
-------------------------------------------------------------
Things I have looked at in the past related to what I have typed
Things the search autocomplete thinks I'm interested in
Muscle memory dies hard.

pipes! fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 2, 2018

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well Firefox kept crashing on me so I disabled hardware acceleration and it stopped crashing but now 4K videos on YouTube stutter. I had this problem with Chrome and Brave as well so is hardware acceleration just broken in every goddamn web browser? Firefox still runs better for me than other browsers though which is why I'm sticking with it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Well Firefox kept crashing on me so I disabled hardware acceleration and it stopped crashing but now 4K videos on YouTube stutter. I had this problem with Chrome and Brave as well so is hardware acceleration just broken in every goddamn web browser? Firefox still runs better for me than other browsers though which is why I'm sticking with it.

Have you checked if there's an update for your graphics card drivers?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

astral posted:

Have you checked if there's an update for your graphics card drivers?

Yes, I got the latest driver for my GTX1070.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spasticColon posted:

Yes, I got the latest driver for my GTX1070.

and no problems with games or anything else?

since chrome is hosed up too this is pretty obviously not a firefox problem. do these steps and see if it does any better:
1. turn off internet
2. uninstall graphics drivers
3. use DDU to clean out any old driver leftovers
4. reinstall latest drivers

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm in the same boat. It feels like upgrading to Windows 10 (which I promptly uninstalled and went back to Windows 7). Too simple, forced options, and next to no customizability.

The main addon I miss is Tab Mix Plus; just simple things like being able to duplicate a tab or undo close tab with a shortcut key. Why isn't this built-into Firefox? I tried Saka key, but it's stupid, it ruins type-ahead searching, which is about the only thing left that makes Firefox worth using instead of Chrome.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Firefox is now telling me that Stylish is going to slow down my installation or is unsafe.

https://robertheaton.com/2018/07/02/stylish-browser-extension-steals-your-internet-history/

What should I be using?

EDIT: Maybe I actually disabled that extension a while ago for some other reason.

EDIT2: Nope, I had not. I only used one style and it was easy enough to import into https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/styl-us/

Pilsner posted:

undo close tab with a shortcut key.

Ctrl+T to open a new tab, Ctrl+Shift+T to undo closing a tab.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 4, 2018

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Stylish spies on users, use Stylus instead.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Klyith posted:

and no problems with games or anything else?

since chrome is hosed up too this is pretty obviously not a firefox problem. do these steps and see if it does any better:
1. turn off internet
2. uninstall graphics drivers
3. use DDU to clean out any old driver leftovers
4. reinstall latest drivers

I haven't seen any issues with any games but I went ahead and tried those steps anyway and it seems to have fixed it. Even YouTube seems to be working normally now when before it was glitching out and causing Firefox to crash if I had hardware acceleration enabled.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pilsner posted:

The main addon I miss is Tab Mix Plus; just simple things like being able to duplicate a tab or undo close tab with a shortcut key. Why isn't this built-into Firefox? I tried Saka key, but it's stupid, it ruins type-ahead searching, which is about the only thing left that makes Firefox worth using instead of Chrome.

I can't believe how much I miss Tab Mix Plus.

Or multirow tabs. gently caress this single row Chrome bullshit.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't believe how much I miss Tab Mix Plus.

:same:
:negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
wait people who don't use tree style tab still exist??

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Truga posted:

Definitely. Most people are not hoarders and they get sick when they see the garbage created by more than 10 tabs in a browser window. Plus, not to mention, less than 10 tabs makes the browser a happy browser (who would have thought?).

Therefore, normal people do not need manage tabs, since there's nothing much to manage in the first place. 10 tabs in a line on a bar is just fine.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Volguus posted:

Definitely. Most people are not hoarders and they get sick when they see the garbage created by more than 10 tabs in a browser window. Plus, not to mention, less than 10 tabs makes the browser a happy browser (who would have thought?).

Therefore, normal people do not need manage tabs, since there's nothing much to manage in the first place. 10 tabs in a line on a bar is just fine.

:agreed:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Truga posted:

I don’t. But I use Vimium (used to use Vimperator), which allows searching through open tabs and switching to them with a key press, so wouldn’t benefit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mike12345 posted:

Stylish spies on users, use Stylus instead.

Yup, Stylish has gone to the dark side and become straight-up spyware. Crossposting from the infosec thread:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Powered Descent posted:

Yup, Stylish has gone to the dark side and become straight-up spyware. Crossposting from the infosec thread:

Hasn't that been known for awhile? I know the story just blew up, but it wasn't new information that it was bought by an ad/tracking company.

Volguus posted:

Anyone with more than a dozen tabs open is a monster.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Anyone with more than a dozen tabs open is a monster.

I have a dozen right now, linear. Four are youtubes, one playing, three waiting to play. FB, Google Maps, Flightradar24 as well, all resource heavy. 10% CPU, 50% RAM. Barely a canter. :clint:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I use Snap Links Plus to open a heap of tabs at a time from SA's control panel because individually clicking on each link is for cavemen.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

I have a dozen right now, linear. Four are youtubes, one playing, three waiting to play. FB, Google Maps, Flightradar24 as well, all resource heavy. 10% CPU, 50% RAM. Barely a canter. :clint:

Ok, I'll bite. I am not going to ask about FB, Google Maps and Flightradar. That's above my pay-grade. But 4 youtube? Listen to one then close the tab and start another? Or ... how does that work? Do you have an addon that does that for you? Why are the other youtubes waiting? And why aren't they in the same tab/page/playlist as the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

Ok, I'll bite. I am not going to ask about FB, Google Maps and Flightradar. That's above my pay-grade. But 4 youtube? Listen to one then close the tab and start another? Or ... how does that work? Do you have an addon that does that for you? Why are the other youtubes waiting? And why aren't they in the same tab/page/playlist as the first one?

It's not like my regular setup or anything, it's just what happened to be open at the same time. When I look at the youtube front page, I might see a handful of recommended videos I'd like to see. So I ctrl-click them into new tabs where they stay paused until I view the tab (about :config, media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground = true). Might view them right away, might be a while. Who knows. If it's a long episode of something, it might sit there for days.
But if I click a video, view it and then go back, the recommended page is rebuilt with new suggestions. So I get used to doing this for related videos as well, since the 3-4 I want to see will not be in each other's related bar, and I don't want to keep going back. And I certainly don't want to create a saved playlist for random things I'll only view once and might even close after 10 seconds. If I work my way through them like Pacman from left to right, Ctrl-W will close the currently playing tab, and the next one will open and start playing by itself. It's fast, nice and good.

Flightradar and GMaps was open because I was looking at airliners really far away through my window and posting about it.

These discussions are funny. We have a shared thing we talk about for years but certain habits are naturally left out. Then when we discover others' habits like "WTF you do it how?!".

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 6, 2018