Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thalantos posted:

12 years ago yesterday, we were on our way to Kirkuk when our lead vehicle got blown the gently caress up.

My best friend on my deployment was in the truck.

And now here come the fireworks, for like, the next 36 hours. Fmgl. :(

:( Stay strong man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Thalantos posted:

12 years ago yesterday, we were on our way to Kirkuk when our lead vehicle got blown the gently caress up.

I was in kirkuk 12 years ago

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Thalantos posted:

I'm so sorry. If you wanna talk to someone instead of just dealing today PM me and we'll set something up. I'll distract you with boring stories about being trapped in the northern Irish country side

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I had an anxiety attack last night before I was supposed to head up with a friend to go rafting. It's been a little over a year since the collision, and I think was caused the attack was a sense that I had lost control of the situation. I figured we were heading up around 6 in morning, and I got told close to 2100 that we needed to leave at 0400.

It was a super minor thing, but it kept me up for hours. My brain just kept going over things, with one of the biggest being that I need sleep. Driving with less then 6 hours of sleep is bad. The water and the movement also came up at points of anxiousness, but they weren't the key things.

Hell, that was one of the things that came out in the comprehensive review of the collision is that we'd done too many high risk evolutions on the 16th, and that no one had had adequate sleep when the collision happened on the 17th.

I'm at grad school right now, and I don't think I realize how structured everything is until this happened. I know days in advance what's happening. Sure there's stress in writing all of my papers, but I know when I need to start things and when things are due. Again, there's that structure.

I'm going to go speak to the counselor tomorrow (it's a military grad school, and she was recommended to me by the dean of students/my program officer) to talk this out more and see if there's things I can do to try and cope better when spontaneous things happen that are outside of my control.

Does this happen to anyone else? This sense that if you don't plan things out well ahead of time and things just happen that you don't expect, you start to panic?

I haven't had suicidal thoughts, and am taking much better care of myself since I left Japan. This was just the worse anxiety attack I've had in a really long time.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

tyler posted:

I was in kirkuk 12 years ago

Well, gently caress.

I was down at Bernstein but we came up to Warrior once a week for resupply and touching base with higher type stuff.

I spent most of the day sleeping, now I'm gonna watch my wife play skyrim.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Thalantos posted:

Well, gently caress.

I was down at Bernstein but we came up to Warrior once a week for resupply and touching base with higher type stuff.

I spent most of the day sleeping, now I'm gonna watch my wife play skyrim.

Were you 2/27?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

tyler posted:

Were you 2/27?

No, 2/320

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Valley Stared posted:

I had an anxiety attack last night before I was supposed to head up with a friend to go rafting. It's been a little over a year since the collision, and I think was caused the attack was a sense that I had lost control of the situation. I figured we were heading up around 6 in morning, and I got told close to 2100 that we needed to leave at 0400.

It was a super minor thing, but it kept me up for hours. My brain just kept going over things, with one of the biggest being that I need sleep. Driving with less then 6 hours of sleep is bad. The water and the movement also came up at points of anxiousness, but they weren't the key things.

Hell, that was one of the things that came out in the comprehensive review of the collision is that we'd done too many high risk evolutions on the 16th, and that no one had had adequate sleep when the collision happened on the 17th.

I'm at grad school right now, and I don't think I realize how structured everything is until this happened. I know days in advance what's happening. Sure there's stress in writing all of my papers, but I know when I need to start things and when things are due. Again, there's that structure.

I'm going to go speak to the counselor tomorrow (it's a military grad school, and she was recommended to me by the dean of students/my program officer) to talk this out more and see if there's things I can do to try and cope better when spontaneous things happen that are outside of my control.

Does this happen to anyone else? This sense that if you don't plan things out well ahead of time and things just happen that you don't expect, you start to panic?

I haven't had suicidal thoughts, and am taking much better care of myself since I left Japan. This was just the worse anxiety attack I've had in a really long time.

I think this is normal. I'm glad to hear you're going to talk to someone about it, because that was probably the advice you were going to get in here.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Ah I think we replaced your brigade in 2006. I was 25th ID 2/35

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

tyler posted:

Ah I think we replaced your brigade in 2006. I was 25th ID 2/35

Yeah, I remember the 25th came in to replace the 101st guys.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I was 2bct 4id and I totally remember 4/25 replacing us, like whatever dudes hope these war crimes aren't too much trouble for you

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 16, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Everything OK, dude?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah. Everything is fine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What do you guys do on the days you just loving hate everything?

I'm just irritated all day. I tried taking the dogs out, working out, had to hang out at a kids bday party but nothing's really making sense to be stressing me out.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Smoke more weed and withdraw further from society, but that's NOT advice

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just drink everyday I get off work, get angry about life in the Army, go to bed and wake up still angry at the Army.

It's Definitely an awful way of dealing with things.

I'm pretty bitter about how my married with kids peers get to use having a family to get off work, avoid weekend taskings, and have your spouse become friends with their bosses spouse so they're less likely to get poo poo on.

Single soldiers just get relentlessly poo poo on.

I've pretty much given up on dating until I get out of the Army because I either have to cancel because I never know when I'm getting off for the day or I'm just flat out too tired to do anything. I used to try to get out of working (at 1700!!!) if I had something planned with a girl but I get something like "you just met her, it can't be that important" and then I do whatever I had to do to make some box on a tracker turn green.

My peers with families on the other hand get days off for anniversaries, kids birthdays and all sorts of bullshit. "My kids sick! Can't come in today even though my spouse stays at home!"

Can't task so and so with this weekend detail! That's taking time away from his family!

The Army is such a crock of poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
When I find myself disliking everyone I grab some candy, and drinks, and go lay out in the sun and read a book. Or if sun isn’t available I play video games in a dark room. Both are normally enough alone time to enjoy the next social outing I’m invited to.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I look at dogge pics and give pettes to dogges. It works pretty well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I watch old Letterman clips on youtube or smoke a bowl or both

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I watch old Letterman clips on youtube or smoke a bowl or both

MAN, that last time with warren zevon tho

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

I just drink everyday I get off work, get angry about life in the Army, go to bed and wake up still angry at the Army.

I'm pretty bitter about how my married with kids peers get to use having a family to get off work, avoid weekend taskings, and have your spouse become friends with their bosses spouse so they're less likely to get poo poo on.

I've pretty much given up on dating until I get out of the Army because I either have to cancel because I never know when I'm getting off for the day or I'm just flat out too tired to do anything. I used to try to get out of working (at 1700!!!) if I had something planned with a girl but I get something like "you just met her, it can't be that important" and then I do whatever I had to do to make some box on a tracker turn green.

My peers with families on the other hand get days off for anniversaries, kids birthdays and all sorts of bullshit. "My kids sick! Can't come in today even though my spouse stays at home!"

Can't task so and so with this weekend detail! That's taking time away from his family!

If it makes you feel better I typically had to request leave to get those days off. When I was married at FT Knox, I still had to drive on post to plow commands parking lot of snow and ice before work. My commander openly called my marriage a green card marriage because my wife was born in another country. She was a citizen when I married her

The quicker you stop caring, the better off youll be. Make excuses to find some you time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mods changed my name posted:

MAN, that last time with warren zevon tho

I know

I know

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
:qq:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Mustang posted:

I have to turn off the homicidally angry enlisted part because of this thread so I'll keep this short, I'm not on enough drugs to cage that fucker long...

Do you no poo poo, have a local support network in place? A problem solver or two you can trust completely, bounce ideas off of, compose an open door letter to your bosses boss with?

Failing that have you considered talking to a chaplain? Preferably a Catholic one, they take confessional privilege seriously, so they're less likely to report it when you ask if pre emptively killing someone to prevent more senseless tragedy is a sin.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

buncha words about being a functioning alcoholic because of the Army

Don't man. Don't do this to yourself. Get some hardcore help asap so you can ride this poo poo out without being a mess the day of your discharge.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Not really, my all time best friends are back home 3000 miles away. I have good friends here but they're either out of the Army and live over an hour away north of Seattle or the ones I still work with are married with kids and do poo poo with their families on the weekends.

Me and my old PSG will go out and do poo poo like backpacking but he's also married with kids.

On top of doing multiple peoples worth of work because I'm short staffed almost everything that misses a deadline is elevated way above whatever level it's being done at. Like as an S4 there's quite a few things where if I miss a deadline someone at BDE is briefing either the BDE XO or BDE commander about it. Even something simple like submitting a memo that will just sit in some folder on a sharedrive for years after I send it off.

Due to the nature of the logistics of one of the training events we have coming up I've been making several products that my field grades periodically brief to our BDE commander.

It's just extremely stressful having all this high visibility poo poo I'm responsible for and I'm more or less doing it by myself.

Being the only LT staff primary also puts me in an awkward spot because my fellow staff primaries are all CPTs and I'm obviously the only S4 in the BN.

It would be great if I could get an NCOIC and a halfway decent LT to work for me while having easily the most difficult workload of the non-S3 staff sections and doing it by myself.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

:bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes:

On one hand I feel bad because you seem like a legit good dude, on the other this is some amazing army schadenfreude. Just think, you’re almost done however and should be free to go do whatever awesome non-Army life.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Edit

Lol

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 26, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I think I'm one frustrating email away from driving to the Pentagon and demanding to speak with the Secretary of the Army.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

My dudes and dudettes, this is yet another reminder to please, please get help. Call your bro, call the VA, call that weird-but-cute girl at the animal shelter, fuckin' call a goon, even.

Please get help.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
How are you guys doing? I'm doing ok. I just want to make sure that everything is ok and alright because this is calm and cooling.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm good, stressing about money and bills but I'm surrounded by good people here.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I've been off about half my meds for a month, and it's gonna be another month before I can get in to see anybody.

I made sense when I came across this article about my VA this morning:

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/atlanta-quality-drops-one-the-worst-the-nation/AO9UmFuyN5y3eIJnzpJCQK/

Things are kinda rough for me today.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Thalantos posted:

I've been off about half my meds for a month, and it's gonna be another month before I can get in to see anybody.

I made sense when I came across this article about my VA this morning:

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/atlanta-quality-drops-one-the-worst-the-nation/AO9UmFuyN5y3eIJnzpJCQK/

Things are kinda rough for me today.

:stare:

Please do NOT wait more than 30 days to see someone at the VA. They are not going to tell you this but you do not have to be seen at the VA if they are saying the next available appointment is more than 30 days.

https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/veterans/VCP/index.asp

Please call them tomorrow and get an appointment with someone outside the VA as soon as possible.

I'm really sorry your VA is lovely. I hope you feel better.

Edit: OK mini rant incoming. I have no idea why we keep the VCP (Veteran's Choice Program) a secret. I don't work in patient care but of course I hear things walking by offices and in hallways and I overheard an argument about the VCP once and it really stuck out in my mind as an employee and a veteran. What I overheard was one woman was mad that the other told a veteran about the VCP because he cancelled his appointment and the next appointment was more than 30 days away and she felt that he shouldn't be able to go outside of the VA because he made the decision to cancel and he should have to wait. I really wanted to say something but the other woman held her ground basically told the other to shut the gently caress up, why he cancelled was none of her business and she told him about it because he needed to be seen.

It just struck a chord with me because it made me wonder what they tell the MSA's at the desk about the VCP and if they have to only give that information if it looks like someone is going to fly off the handle or hurt themselves. I'm sure it costs them a great deal more to treat a veteran outside of the VA, but the bottom line is getting the veteran treatment ASAP. :argh:

Sarah fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 29, 2018

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I mean, at this point it's less than 30 days until my appt.

I....don't confront folks, cause I don't trust myself not to get overly emotional, and I assume the people at the VA just arrest/commit any veterans that get overly upset about lack of services. Since I cannot afford to take time off work, I avoid even bringing up stuff, tbh.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Thalantos posted:

I....don't confront folks, cause I don't trust myself not to get overly emotional, and I assume the people at the VA just arrest/commit any veterans that get overly upset about lack of services. Since I cannot afford to take time off work, I avoid even bringing up stuff, tbh.

Hey dude. Even though this doesn't help you directly, I understand how it feels to not want to be confrontational. It's why I gotta quit the Army.

My wife's therapist has been seeing me under the table to get me on some kind of anxiety/depression management. I don't know what local resources you have, but you can still see people for cheap/free and work the disability paperwork after the diagnosis.

Also if any of you are super desperate and have had a prescription at some point there are some options I've used while uninsured.

I don't condone nor am I suggesting unsupervised prescription use, but insurance coverage has been undeniably getting way loving worse and I don't want to lose another sister/brother to sadbrains.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Thalantos posted:

I assume your also broke brain like me. If you need someone to talk to just PM and I’ll give you my cell. You can call or text me anytime and talk about this poo poo. I’ve been through it all when it comes to psychiatry up to and including ECT and doing the Thorazine shuffle. I’ve been stable and in control of my emotions and moods for about 4 years now. I totally know what it’s like not to be in control of these things. Just reach out if you need someone to talk to.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, if you are a combat vet*, you are eligible to use your local vet center versus the VA clinic/hospital for mental health needs. Here's a link for Atlanta's since I think I read you say something about Georgia:

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=651

*To be a combat vet means you were just deployed to a warzone. If you have a campaign ribbon for OIF or OEF you almost certainly qualify. I use the vet center, personally, and I'm just a navy guy who sat off the coast of southern Iraq for the better part of a year. I'm a "combat veteran" under VA rules as a result. Don't get too hung up on the distinction, though. It's just another mental health resource for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Service connected can use the vet center too. Used the gently caress outta them personally.