Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's still amazing to see that Cure Black and Cure White's fighting style is so in your face compared to almost every other magical girl anime and heck even most shonen fight anime.

And than you the scene where Pupple was saved by Amour and Macherie being a nice call back to Ruru's turn. The show does a great job of using past narrative bits in new ways to show character growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i fully expected them to just go away after the opening but it was nice

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was kind of hoping that Nagisa and Honoka would stick around a little longer but it was still nice to see some of my favorite Cures in action again. I wonder if more crossovers are on the way and the second half of Hugtto will wind up becoming the Gokaiger/Decade/Mebius of Precure shows.

As for Hugtto itself, I wasn't wild about the concept at first but this show has been getting surprisingly good lately.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

given they're doing this so far in advance of the movie and the way the ending is cut before it shows certain teams, I'd say there's a good chance of other teams showing up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

given they're doing this so far in advance of the movie and the way the ending is cut before it shows certain teams, I'd say there's a good chance of other teams showing up.

Works for me, it's better for individual teams to interact with the Hugtto girls separately rather than just cramming everybody in at once ala your average All Stars movie (though the prominence of the Futari Wa girls in the trailer makes me think they might be coming back again at some point).

Honestly I kind of wish Precure would start going the Sentai route and just do crossover films featuring the current team and the previous year's team (with other groups only showing up during anniversary seasons). It'd be a lot less cluttered that way.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

they already decluttered by moving to a 3 team format for all stars movies

this year is special because it's a big number anniversary, i suppose

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They just replaced the Huggto movie with another all stars cause the spring one was just 3 teams. And it looks like the bulk of the fall movie is just going to be a team up of Futari Wa with the Huggto cast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

they already decluttered by moving to a 3 team format for all stars movies

this year is special because it's a big number anniversary, i suppose

Ah, I couldn't remember if that was the norm now or if they just did it for a few films before going back to what they usually do. Good to know then.

To be honest, I just watched the second All Star movie and didn't bother with the rest because it was such a clusterfuck. Am I to assume the more recent ones are a little better handled?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 1, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1013850838442364929

I'm expecting nothing so I won't be disappointed again as I suspect this is just to protect against Hasbro having the Glitter Force rights but please god get Precure streaming on CR okay

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Larryb posted:

As for Hugtto itself, I wasn't wild about the concept at first but this show has been getting surprisingly good lately.

When does it start getting good? I've watched 3 eps and wasn't really feeling it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Homare's arc in episode 4 and 5 is where the series picks up steam and just keeps going from there.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1013850838442364929

I'm expecting nothing so I won't be disappointed again as I suspect this is just to protect against Hasbro having the Glitter Force rights but please god get Precure streaming on CR okay

If they can actually get CR to simulcast Pretty Cure and bring over the older series I'd actually pay more for my subscription just to get those.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The original Pretty Cure has already been up on Crunchyroll for a while now but it would still be great to get some other shows on there as well.

Speaking of which, the original Pretty Cure apparently got a dub as well but it was only aired in Canada and the UK. Has anyone actually watched said dub and if so, how was it?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 3, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

The original Pretty Cure has already been up on Crunchyroll for a while now but it would still be great to get some other shows on there as well.

Speaking of which, the original Pretty Cure apparently got a dub as well but it was only aired in Canada and the UK. Has anyone actually watched said dub and if so, how was it?

The Precure on CR is like sub VHS fansub quality though.

Yeah YTV got an English dub and except for the name changes it was pretty faithful. Voices are kids dub level but it has the original music and content edits are pretty light too. Kinda of wish it was online somewhere to watch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Precure on CR is like sub VHS fansub quality though.

Yeah YTV got an English dub and except for the name changes it was pretty faithful. Voices are kids dub level but it has the original music and content edits are pretty light too. Kinda of wish it was online somewhere to watch

Nowhere legally anyway (unless there are DVDs still in print out there somewhere) but I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere. Good to know it was better handled than Glitter Force at any rate, was Max Heart also dubbed or was it just the first season?

Yeah, fair point. The subs on CR are passable enough but the video quality is kind of poo poo and it felt like I was watching an HK sub half the time (plus occasional moments where they just flat out forget to sub something). it's still pretty much the only official release for the series we have so far though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 3, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Only the first season. YTV seemed to get out of airing any anime shortly after the first series aired

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I know this show is basically Kamen Rider/Sentai for young girls (even going so far as to add "sixth rangers" to the group in certain seasons) but out of curiosity for even the briefest of moments has there ever been a male Cure or at least a Tuxedo Mask-esque ally that's fought alongside one of the teams?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No, I don't think so. But who knows, we've had recently had stuffed bears and a lesbian robot as a precure, its only a matter of time a pretty boy becomes and even prettier magic girl

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There’s Coppe in Heartcatch, Jonathan in Dokidoki, Kanata in Go! Princess, and Julio in Kira Kira, but they never let them steal the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I've been going through some of the older shows and do any Precure teams that require a dual transformation (such as Futari Wa and Splash Star) ever gain the ability to transform solo? It just seems to me that constantly requiring a partner in order to properly defend yourself in battle seems kind of like a liability to me.

Secret identities are kind of weird too, there's one episode of the original where the assistant pincipal seems to recognize Nagisa and Honoka immediately and other times it's like Sailor Moon where somehow nobody can recognize them despite their faces not being altered or masked in any way (later show are a little better at this though as there the girls actually look like physically different people after transforming). It also kind of amuses me that the character models for the Futari Wa and Splash Star girls look almost identical in their civilian forms.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well the Futari Wa duo literally can't transform without the other present, which was a plot point in one of the episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

Well the Futari Wa duo literally can't transform without the other present, which was a plot point in one of the episodes.

Yeah I understand that, I was just curious if they ever found away around that particular issue in either the original show or Max Heart (I'm guessing not though).

It's kind of interesting how much more aggressive the original duo seem to be when compared to their successors (and of course there's that infamous scene in one of the movies where the two seem to actively be trying to kill each other, which understandably made more than a few children upset). In fact, at times the original show almost feels more like a Shounen series that just happens to feature female protagonists. The costume designs are also a lot less flashy and more practical than what came afterwards.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 3, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah I understand that, I was just curious if they ever found away around that particular issue in either the original show or Max Heart (I'm guessing not though).

It's kind of interesting how much more aggressive the original duo seem to be when compared to their successors (and of course there's that infamous scene in one of the movies where the two seem to actively be trying to kill each other, which understandably made more than a few children upset). In fact, at times the original show almost feels more like a Shounen series that just happens to feature female protagonists. The costume designs are also a lot less flashy and more practical than what came afterwards.

That’s because the director was the guy who did Dragonball and DBZ. No, I’m not kidding.

Incidentally, anyone got any clips of real great magical girl action scenes from the past few years?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 3, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This is one of the many great scene from Hugtto

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/967850750390013952

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hana is so good. She’s probably my favorite lead in a precure that I’ve seen so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

This was also a plot point in Suite Pretty Cure as well. The initial villain Siren largely tries to prey on the girls feuds and create discord between them as they need to be together to transform. Though she tended to focus on it too much to her detriment as her boss points out that her direct subordinates were getting a better track record of collecting the macguffins of the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a live action Precure series? You'd obviously have to age up the protagonists a bit but I think it could work pretty well (the Sailor Moon adaption they did a while back was pretty decent for what it was after all).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Toei hasn't tried a live action Magical Girl series since the Sailor Moon one. Precure does get live action stage shows but they aren't musicals like Sailor Moon and instead are full costumes suits like Rider/Sentai

Only live action Magical Girl series is Miracle Tunes which is not that good TBH

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You'd have to age the girls up a little but I could see the original series working in live action. The fairies could be done with a combination of CGI and puppetry and/or dolls, full CGI for the Dark King, a little mix of everything for the Zakenna and physical suits for most of the generals (as for Nagisa, either have her hair change color when she transforms ala PGSM or just make her a brunette). Yes! could also potentially work since the fairies there spend the majority of their time as humans and the villains are basically just evil businessmen (plus a live action Bunbee would be hilarious).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 5, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So my friend has dragged me into this sparkly, glorious hell that is magical girls and I am obsessed. First she showed me Fresh Precure (I would die for Cure Passion), then we watched Kira Kira Precure a la Mode together and honestly I loved that one too. Next we moved on to Madoka - a bit of a scene change for sure, but I was informed that it's basically required viewing - then back to the fluff with Sailor Moon. Once we did all that I decided that Precure was my favorite of what we watched so far so I'm starting from the top so I can watch all of it. I've seen all of Futari wa and I'm about halfway through Max Heart and god I love it so much. Honoka and Nagisa are too drat cute :kimchi:

I don't know why I was sleeping on this genre for so long (actually I do, it's because I refused to watch Sailor Moon as a kid because it was "girly" and went for DBZ instead. Thank god now I'm making up for it.)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pikestaff posted:

So my friend has dragged me into this sparkly, glorious hell that is magical girls and I am obsessed. First she showed me Fresh Precure (I would die for Cure Passion), then we watched Kira Kira Precure a la Mode together and honestly I loved that one too. Next we moved on to Madoka - a bit of a scene change for sure, but I was informed that it's basically required viewing - then back to the fluff with Sailor Moon. Once we did all that I decided that Precure was my favorite of what we watched so far so I'm starting from the top so I can watch all of it. I've seen all of Futari wa and I'm about halfway through Max Heart and god I love it so much. Honoka and Nagisa are too drat cute :kimchi:

I don't know why I was sleeping on this genre for so long (actually I do, it's because I refused to watch Sailor Moon as a kid because it was "girly" and went for DBZ instead. Thank god now I'm making up for it.)

:yeah:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pikestaff posted:

you can rest easy now that futari wa has combined your childhood of dbz action scenes with magical girls

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Futari Wa is still one of my favorites as it's basically DBZ for girls (almost literally, the two shows share a director). I like how Nagisa manages to somehow simultaneously come off as both an adorable dork and a terrifying badass at the same time (Honoka has her moments too).

As for other shows, Precure 5 and, as you mentioned, Fresh are also pretty good. Smile gets very episodic after the main team is assembled but I like most of the cast and the current series Hugtto is also surprisingly decent (though it takes about 4 or 5 episodes before it really starts picking up steam).

Off the subject, but do we have any idea how the upcoming Salior Moon Crystal movie(or movies as the case may end up being) are going to work (that is, are they just going to cram the entire arc into a feature length film or release it theatrically as a batch but still divide it up into episodes ala Digimon Tri)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2018

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

The Colonel posted:

you can rest easy now that futari wa has combined your childhood of dbz action scenes with magical girls

I was going to add that. Pretty Cure is pretty much the answer to an anime you were looking for as a kid. A good show that says its okay to be girly and punch things at the same time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thought George was gonna be Precure Kotomine Kirei but instead he's Precure Lelouch from Code Geass!

Also the Hana flashback in the episode is super heavy once you realize the class she was in bullied her hard cause she stood up to someone getting picked on and we don't see a happy ending to it except her mother comforting her. It's probably the darkest thing in the season just for what's so unspoken about it and fitting for a show that wants to at times challenge social structures

Also Rest in Peace Daigan, best general got jobbed

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I am greatly amused that not only is the main bad guys for Hugtto an evil company it also looks like it's an evil Company run by Silicon Valley start ups

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, but I decided to check out Madoka on a whim. This show is batshit insane and I kind of love it (imagine Precure only almost none of the girls are on the same side and the fairy companion is an evil bastard). I'm sure this was completely intentional but I like the contrast between the opening and ending as well, the former is kind of upbeat and attempts to trick the viewer into thinking they're in for another bog-standard magical girl series while the ending is super dark and gloomy.

It's also one of the most Shounen-esque magical girl shows I've seen since the original Pretty Cure (in that despite the cast being mostly female, there's not much overtly girly about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
If memory serves, for the broadcast run they didn't play the ending theme until the twist at the end of episode 3, like a "gotcha! you suckers are in for a bad time" reveal