Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been rewatching it too, and I've actually come to love any scene involving Kai Winn. Every word she speaks has some underhanded inference behind it, and just about everyone else can still talk circles around her because they're not taking any of her poo poo.

I still don't know about Winn. She was written and played in a way that made sympathy for the character impossible, but also without the zest of someone like Refa, where he deserves what he gets but you still like the way he's being played (the villain you love to hate). Winn was so on the nose as a social critique and so carefully and skillfully performed as "nails on a blackboard" antagonist that I couldn't ever feel for her or even look forward to her inclusion in a story (though I usually did look forward to Fletcher's performance).

Her closest equivalent on B5 would be all the one-episode Downbelow thugs and criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I had a lot more sympathy for Winn when I watched through DS9 recently, which I didn't expect. After she settled down into the Kai role and began doing actual good things like the peace treaty with Cardassia, and before her turn at the end, she was a lot more nuanced than I remembered. Yeah, she was still an antagonist and not a fun person for the crew to deal with, but they also gave her a lot of unnecessary grief at times (especially Bashir one time that I recall explicitly) that kept the antagonism going, it was definitely a two-way street a lot of the time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've also gotta really respect DS9 for trying to tackle religion head-on, even if its overall stance on religion is pretty muddled. B5 featured religion, and even hinted at Vorlon interference in religion and used a bunch of prophecies and weird rituals, but it never really touched on religion in terms that were really relatable to the real-world mundacity of the religious experience in the way that DS9 did.

Anybody can follow big huge prophecies and get swept away when all the crazy supernatural events are actually happening, but the whole regularly going to church, listening to sermons, and seeking spiritual guidance thing is what the bedrock of what modern religion is built on.

And of course on the far side of the spectrum, there's Stargate, which literally goes militant atheist on most alien religions and doesn't really bother with balancing things out.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 29, 2018

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

it never really touched on religion in terms that were really relatable to the real-world mundacity of the religious experience in the way that DS9 did.

That's why the Centauri religion is the best on the show. The reference to Zoog as a debatable member of the pantheon cracks me up.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've also gotta really respect DS9 for trying to tackle religion head-on, even if its overall stance on religion is pretty muddled. B5 featured religion, and even hinted at Vorlon interference in religion and used a bunch of prophecies and weird rituals, but it never really touched on religion in terms that were really relatable to the real-world mundacity of the religious experience in the way that DS9 did.

Anybody can follow big huge prophecies and get swept away when all the crazy supernatural events are actually happening, but the whole regularly going to church, listening to sermons, and seeking spiritual guidance thing is what the bedrock of what modern religion is built on.

And of course on the far side of the spectrum, there's Stargate, which literally goes militant atheist on most alien religions and doesn't really bother with balancing things out.

On the other hand I gotta give Passing Through Gethsemane was a great episode for mixing Christian belief and science fiction, so I can’t really say B5 didn’t do anything good with religion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Luigi Thirty posted:

From the bowels of YouTube I present a camcorder copy of a one-hour Q&A with Michael O'Hare - after he left B5 but before they shot War Without End. "I'm running around in the jungle shooting Shadowmen!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR5IuVptRw

He's really funny and really smart, going into the psychology of acting and his role as Sinclair more than you usually get out of convention talks. It's amazing stuff.

This is absorbing, thanks for posting it - he seems like such a lovely guy.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Bubbacub posted:

That's why the Centauri religion is the best on the show. The reference to Zoog as a debatable member of the pantheon cracks me up.

Centauri religion is basically just copy-pasted from Roman Imperial religion.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CountFosco posted:

Centauri religion is basically just copy-pasted from Roman Imperial religion.

Everything Centauri is either inspired by the Romans or the French.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Especially their dicks

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pick posted:

Especially their dicks

ooh la la!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The French are generous lovers

They’ll give all six

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ConfusedUs posted:

ooh la la la la la la!

There we go.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Come to think of it, did we ever get mention of the Mimbari religion at all outside of the Religious Caste being a thing?

The Centauri talk about their gods every so often, the Narns at least talk about their Saint figures, but I don't remember anything about the Mimbari religion(s?).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They guard front doors

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Airspace posted:

Come to think of it, did we ever get mention of the Mimbari religion at all outside of the Religious Caste being a thing?

The Centauri talk about their gods every so often, the Narns at least talk about their Saint figures, but I don't remember anything about the Mimbari religion(s?).

Pure spiritualism based around ancestor worship and reincarnation, as influenced by the Vorlons.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Minbari, or at least Delenn, seem to quasi-worship the universe itself. She talks occasionally about sapient beings being made out of the universe both materially and spiritually, in the sense of ourselves as emergent/splintered consciousnesses as a manifestation of the universe trying to understand itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConfusedUs posted:

Everything Centauri is either inspired by the Romans or the French.

I think some of it is Russia as well, pining for the Glorious Old Days of the Tsars Republic.

If it was France, the elite would've died by guillotine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it was France, the elite would've died by guillotine.

As opposed to "Oh poo poo, that's a lot of Narn. Where's the exit ?" ?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

How many Centauri does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm like 99% done with this, and it's going to be made into a vinyl sticker. Send an e-mail to sendthemtopick@gmail.com if you want one, so I know how many to order :toot:.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Haha that's awesome, gj

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Saw that this was on amazon prime and geeked out a little to hard, wife made fun of me. Haven't seen this show since I was a kid so binging hard. Just hit the second season today.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Continuing my first watch now that it's on Amazon. I'm watching Z'ha'dum and was delenn's voice always so accented? I guess I might have missed it but she shows up at the end here and sounds totally different from what I remember.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yes, Mira Furlan spent a lot of time tripping over her Croatian accent.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darth Freddy posted:

Saw that this was on amazon prime and geeked out a little to hard, wife made fun of me. Haven't seen this show since I was a kid so binging hard. Just hit the second season today.

Yesssss so good. Post as you re-realize how great it is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Freddy posted:

I hope you're making Mrs Darth Freddy watch it too to learn the error of her ways :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I haven’t watched since my last binge in like... 2010?

It’s even better this time around. I love how Katsulas just chews the gently caress out of the scenery when G’kar is pissed. MOLAAAAAARIIIIIII

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Katsulas and Jurasik are a loving joy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pick posted:

Katsulas and Jurasik are a loving joy.

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME!?
i hear you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME!?
i hear you

As the humans say; "Up yours; DIE!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You will know pain, you will know fear, and then you will die have a pleasant flight

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Pick posted:

Yesssss so good. Post as you re-realize how great it is.

Oh poo poo give me time and I can recap season 1 while I'm at work.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope you're making Mrs Darth Freddy watch it too to learn the error of her ways :colbert:

Sadly after making her watch he-man and the perfection that is Flash Ahhh ahhh Gordon, I am no longer allowed to show her sci-fi.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Darth Freddy posted:

Oh poo poo give me time and I can recap season 1 while I'm at work.

Sadly after making her watch he-man and the perfection that is Flash Ahhh ahhh Gordon, I am no longer allowed to show her sci-fi.

This is your chance. This isn’t sci-fi it’s high drama.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Zero posted:

This is your chance. This isn’t sci-fi it’s high drama.

Try the "this show is why Game of Thrones was able to be made" angle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a political, philosophical, and religious drama that takes place on a space station and only occasionally involves dumb space monsters and archaic references to old literature.

Edit: Drink Zima.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME!?
i hear you

I live for that exchange.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Try the "this show is why Game of Thrones was able to be made" angle.

a point against it imo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That was such a unique subversion of what you'd expect. Instead of showing how everybody can overcome their differences no problem and work together, it's all about showing just what it means to want somebody dead more than anything else. And on the other side of the coin, what it means to be hated so much.

It's such a unique thing to be given sympathetic views to both sides of such a dire conflict.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was such a unique subversion of what you'd expect. Instead of showing how everybody can overcome their differences no problem and work together, it's all about showing just what it means to want somebody dead more than anything else. And on the other side of the coin, what it means to be hated so much.

It's such a unique thing to be given sympathetic views to both sides of such a dire conflict.

What made it perfect was Katsulas changing it from a bleak dark moment into the ultimate cosmic joke. He doesn't have to do a thing, and he gets to watch Molari die. Without fear of any kind of repercussions for his people, at all, he gets to watch the man he despises above anyone else die a slow and painful death with a front-row seat. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
JMS posted his memories of Harlan Ellison (too long to post here):

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/1999083533459833

Also:

That was a pretty unrealistic date even when they made that episode.