Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I have to wonder if the attrition rate at the factory, with people getting sick is even intentional, or it's like the whole gauntlet killing that guy.

I watched back in season one, and the guy who got sick in the factory during meal time coughed up blood too.

Maybe the klicks are too stupid to realize that their technology causes damage to living things.

Maybe that's why they're at war with the organic guys to start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm still going with "they're so used to being glowing spheres of pure thought that they just don't understand organic beings at all"

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I mean, we don't even know if they were ever organic. They could be escaped robots from some other civilization, and have absolutely no frame of reference for any of this.

Which would mean man was the monster all along, which is what most fiction ends up being anyways?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I mean, we don't even know if they were ever organic. They could be escaped robots from some other civilization, and have absolutely no frame of reference for any of this.

That's a theory I considered and that I like, that the Raps are a slave/underclass that's running away from the people who did to them what the Raps are doing to us, essentially.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, Snyder just said he's been working on LA for 6 months so that's another sign that it's been quite a while since they got there. Also I just noticed that Will's car is a "JYP-C" cab.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Which would mean man was the monster all along, which is what most fiction ends up being anyways?

man is being turned into the perfect biological weapon and from the way the drones react to the green-barfers, I think Will might have been one of their first attempts.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, man is definitely the biological weapon. Also I guess the raps do know a lot about biology since they can grow lettuce in 3 hours.

Not sure what the gently caress they're building for weapons that kills people. You'd think that protective clothing would be worth it just to tone down the attrition.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interesting that Wayne Brady talks about Les Mis in the previous episode, and the guy trying to escape at the beginning of the newest one has a giant 24601 tattoo on his back.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was pretty intense. Another good episode.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
this episode was insane but im only posting cause its the first one where i actually started to like both bram the character and alex neustaedter the actor. also this is probably peter jacobsons best role. he sells that poo poo and genuinely looked and sounded like he was about to have his brains blown out.

This show started out pretty slow, but it's turned into my second most anticipated show each week so i hope it gets a few more seasons.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, snyder was really good in that scene. There's a lot of nifty things going on in this show. How many more episodes do we have in the season?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
snyder and bowman was some of the best dramatic acting i've seen on a show in a while, yeah

snyder's dread as will poured that lovely mop water into the toilet was priceless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah, snyder was really good in that scene. There's a lot of nifty things going on in this show. How many more episodes do we have in the season?

It's a 13 episode season.

Also the best scene was Synder's face when he realized he was going to get dunked in a toilet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was a bit disappointed that there are hundreds of thousands of the Special People. Still, that was a good episode with lots of Snyder.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

The lower percentiles of the outliers algorithm are probably cannon fodder.
"This one only took 3 weeks of ROTC training before dropping ou..."
"Good enough, algorithm says he's in and we've got a quota to fill. Next!"

As I said,

Too bad we never got to see Will Bowman and pals in alien stealth outfits, or even using the mystery bullet-proof alien fabric.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 29, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thats not candy posted:

this episode was insane but im only posting cause its the first one where i actually started to like both bram the character and alex neustaedter the actor. also this is probably peter jacobsons best role. he sells that poo poo and genuinely looked and sounded like he was about to have his brains blown out.

I was also another Synder weasel masterpiece especially how he blended facts and fiction such as leaving out incriminating bits like how he had the tracker all along.

Also how he was turning the conversion away via blame shifting such as pointing out that Will was the one who got them in the whole resistance camp situation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how Snyder technically was telling the truth to Will. HE didn't call in the troops.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Snyder also definitely wasn't lying when he said he loved Charlie, shame Will didn't seem to buy it.

I'm kinda sick of Broussard.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The worst part of the alien invasion was when they destroyed every steady-cam in the united states.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mossyfisk posted:

The worst part of the alien invasion was when they destroyed every steady-cam in the united states.

You try and get a steady-cam on the black market.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I was somewhat concerned with how they are going to keep dragging out the "Completely Invincible Alien Invaders In a Hopeless Situation" thing and manage to keep it fresh but if they give Broussard hundreds of other Bruce Lee/James Bond/Macguyver/Rambo/Master Chiefs with plot armor then the aliens don't stand a chance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How long until the Bowmans get another block getting wiped out?

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 8, 2018

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Can't keep block hopping...

I mean they'll run out of nicknames for the Hosts, Raps, Clicks, errr Morks pretty quickly.

Even Bowman was done with the names this episode.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I was somewhat concerned with how they are going to keep dragging out the "Completely Invincible Alien Invaders In a Hopeless Situation" thing and manage to keep it fresh but if they give Broussard hundreds of other Bruce Lee/James Bond/Macguyver/Rambo/Master Chiefs with plot armor then the aliens don't stand a chance.

it's not plot armor though, it's gonna be real armor made from that bullet-proof membrane poo poo. just as contrived, but they did lay the groundwork for it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can't wait to see the alien design

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Why did the klicks kill so many humans if they wanted disposable ill equiped frontline soldiers anyways?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They seem to only really care about the outliers and IGA officials, if you’re not on that list your just a pair of hands they can work to death in the factories

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The aliens shoulda just asked, rich people are more than willing to work their slaves to death.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Got pissy at Sawyer with his weird "you aren't trained" to Katie. This is the lady who helped run a resistance cell while you worked as a mechanic. Although by the end of the episode I understood why.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Katie is a good insurgent who has training in hit and run tactics. This was all out war. Also the noise Kynes made when he got shot sure was goofy.

What does everyone think of the captured alien? It looks like they might communicate through some kind of violent telepathy. Which could also explain why those Outlier soldiers just kind of dropped dead.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

might be more chemical based, like how trees 'talk' or whatever it's supposed to be called. the weapon seemed to induce some sort of reaction more than a tear out your soul psychic scouring and the giant, gently caress-off nostrils on the side of 'her' head made them out to be more primary sensory organs. thought maybe the alien produced the writing on kynes' arm, but I guess that was a silver sharpie in his epaulet.

sawyer was definitely off to make some hate, needed a reason to come home.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can feel how this show has shifted.

The first two seaons had more mystery boxes and they alluded to the greast day and when the colony would be emptied which kinda implied those put into the coolers were gonna be the ones to reboot humanity.

I kinda like the direction they took the show its more V and falling skies.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nothing I enjoy seeing more than a beaten up Sawyer. :allears:

Also, I thought the outliers were meant to be super soldiers but they seem pretty ordinary so far.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That religious stuff that got dropped, I sure was interested what this was about.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Didn't the aliens blow up all the national guard muster points [including a bunch of Will's special forces buddies who would definitely have been outliers] at the very beginning of the first episode? Not super into this outlier thing, it feels a little dystopian teen novel "chosen one."

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i was real disappointed that outliers just meant high-speed low-drag spec ops soldiers. very unimaginative.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prav posted:

i was real disappointed that outliers just meant high-speed low-drag spec ops soldiers. very unimaginative.

They are just post apocalypse chads Chads

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

qirex posted:

Didn't the aliens blow up all the national guard muster points [including a bunch of Will's special forces buddies who would definitely have been outliers] at the very beginning of the first episode? Not super into this outlier thing, it feels a little dystopian teen novel "chosen one."

I think there were spec-ops muster points, but the aliens kind of need to take some of them out rather than actually have a professionals wandering around from the get-go. Also, I think their time-line was shortened from years to months and now they are panicking. When they throwing humans with projectile weapons into the fight, you know they are desperate.

Also, the outliers are just spec-ops operators, not supersoldiers.

I thought they did a good jobs, and the show is obviously pulling in inspiration from a bunch of different sources. If anything the first season seemed to be more of a commentary on WW2 style occupation/collaboration with a little bit of the Iraq war thrown in and it has become much more of a scifi show from there. I am glad they were only out in the woods/with the resistance for a couple episodes, a worse show would have dragged that out for an entire season (the Walking Dead).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ardennes posted:

I think there were spec-ops muster points, but the aliens kind of need to take some of them out rather than actually have a professionals wandering around from the get-go. Also, I think their time-line was shortened from years to months and now they are panicking. When they throwing humans with projectile weapons into the fight, you know they are desperate.

Also, the outliers are just spec-ops operators, not supersoldiers.

I thought they did a good jobs, and the show is obviously pulling in inspiration from a bunch of different sources. If anything the first season seemed to be more of a commentary on WW2 style occupation/collaboration with a little bit of the Iraq war thrown in and it has become much more of a scifi show from there. I am glad they were only out in the woods/with the resistance for a couple episodes, a worse show would have dragged that out for an entire season (the Walking Dead).

There might be a bit more to the Outlier program, we haven't fully seen what they did to them. Unless they are just keeping them in cold storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's probably only a few thousand actual special forces combat people on earth, the idea that they'd both kill a bunch of them and that there would be enough of them for Kinds to both supply new ones to the facility and keep a bunch of them under the radar in Seattle seems at odds with the idea. Also there must be more to what an "outlier" is than just combat training since militaries keep insanely detailed records so they wouldn't need Kinds' algorithm in the first place. The whole "the raps/clicks are panicked" is an OK excuse but it still sits oddly for me.

One of my favorite things about The Alien Years [sci-fi book with eerily similar premise to season 1] is that after 40 years of brutal occupation and hard fought, heart wrenching guerilla warfare the aliens just gently caress off one day, the human resistance accomplished nothing

• Locked thread