Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Wrong, refer to my avatar.
Looks good but is also still inaccurate. Lacks the bald patches that skin impressions indicate T-rex had akin to modern ostriches. You have been disqualified from this round of nerd one-upsmenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Velociraptors are Cassowaries
Cassowaries are birds
ergo Velociraptors are birds.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In all seriousness, the whole scales rule feathers drool thing annoys me since I must have missed the memo where it was decided things like a Harpy Eagle or Cassowary are big 'ol pussies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

In all seriousness, the whole scales rule feathers drool thing annoys me since I must have missed the memo where it was decided things like a Harpy Eagle or Cassowary are big 'ol pussies.

the fact that the entirety of Jurassic World's plot is built on BD Wong saying "people are bored of the same old dinosaurs" is the literal craziest thing anyone has ever said in film

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Are the writers unaware that Zoos and Aquariums continue to exist and be popular?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Far Cry 3 taught me about how Cassowaries are basically modern day raptors.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

Far Cry 3 taught me about how Cassowaries are basically modern day raptors.

They're a far cry from what I imagined dinosaurs had looked like when I was a kid.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Are the writers unaware that Zoos and Aquariums continue to exist and be popular?

Jurassic World wasn't a zoo or aquarium. It was a theme park. The Jurassic World execs freaking out about a small percentage drop in profits was the most realistic thing about the movie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jurassic World wasn't a zoo or aquarium. It was a theme park. The Jurassic World execs freaking out about a small percentage drop in profits was the most realistic thing about the movie.

Also it's out on an island, with all the logistics involved with that. Not to mention active R&D costs. Losing revenue of any kind would scare the execs shitless.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

While the latter part is definitely true, isn't the difference between the a theme park and zoo kind of arbitrary if we're talking about Jurassic Park? I mean both institutions are trying to make money anyway and the park is all based around showing off exotic creature to the public.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think he's referring to the management style. Namely that the theme park industry tends to have hyper flighty management who make massive changes in response to fairly small losses in profit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also it's out on an island, with all the logistics involved with that. Not to mention active R&D costs. Losing revenue of any kind would scare the execs shitless.

yea and that works for, say, Disney, but I think the factor of 'uh, Dave, they're fuckin dinosaurs' should have been there. Like, I dunno, do a coupon day or something, people want to see dinos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

khwarezm posted:

While the latter part is definitely true, isn't the difference between the a theme park and zoo kind of arbitrary if we're talking about Jurassic Park? I mean both institutions are trying to make money anyway and the park is all based around showing off exotic creature to the public.

Again; it's on an island off of Costa Rica. They have to eat the costs of shipping a theme park's worth of food and supplies there on a constant basis.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What makes Jurassic Park/World a theme park and not a zoo is in the park's conception. Hammond had a background in entertainment and even fashioned himself as a Walt Disney figure. The entire concept behind the park is even explained to the audience by a cartoon character.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 5, 2018

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If Jurassic World 3 doesnt end with Dr. Malcolm & Dr. Wu fighting shirtless on top of a dinosaur genetically engineered to be as big as Arsenal Gear I will post a scathing review on the internet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do Alien again but with dinosaurs instead

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm really looking forward to Jurassic World 3: Dinosaurs Attack!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Conal Cochran posted:

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm really looking forward to Jurassic World 3: Dinosaurs Attack!

Most ambitious crossover meme but it's Jurassic Park and Transformers. Dinobots vs. genetically engineered dinosaurs: whoever wins, we lose.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Lovecraft was a decent storyteller, but his racism frequently got in the way of his already awkward writing rendering a lot his works unintentionally hilarious. Like, that one story that reads like a self-parody where you have that witch worshiping eldrich gods and stuff, but the horryfying twist was that she turned out to be 1/1000 black or something.

His horror is informed mostly not by his bigotry (its influence on his stories was strictly negative), but his fear of literally going insane.

rvm fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 5, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What makes Jurassic Park/World a theme park and not a zoo is in the park's conception. Hammond had a background in entertainment and even fashioned himself as a Walt Disney figure. The entire concept behind the park is even explained to the audience by a cartoon character.

Yeah, but like does that make that much difference? Zoos have sort of evolved into a semi-useful arm for education and conservation but their main purpose is to attract paying customers to gawk at animals, and pick up plenty of stuff at the gift shop while also grabbing some burgers and coke over the day. Their original background decades ago was even more based around entertainment, my grandmother told me about riding elephants at the zoo when they could still do that, and going to modern zoos it's still the case that making it a fun day out for the family is highest priority for both the people running them and people going to them.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 5, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why don't they just play Fantasy Adventure to Adult Lechery. that has enough horrible poo poo in it.

My friends and I once spent a drunk/stoned night creating characters with this thing. We were gonna go all PvP arena with it but drunk/stoned.

What came out of it tho was that I maxed the Penis Width roll while getting really low on the Penis Length Chart. The tale of Captain Pancakecock became the stuff of legend.

That's my story.

Here's a thing that I disagree with because Alien 3 on the SNES was the poo poo (for young me) and Aliens on the Amstrad CPC was loving terrifying!

https://youtu.be/GM-7gKkurQQ

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

KayTee posted:

My friends and I once spent a drunk/stoned night creating characters with this thing. We were gonna go all PvP arena with it but drunk/stoned.

What came out of it tho was that I maxed the Penis Width roll while getting really low on the Penis Length Chart. The tale of Captain Pancakecock became the stuff of legend.

There used to be a program that would automatically roll up a FATAL character but I don't know where it can be found. I'd assume it would be great fun to see what kind of horrible monster you rolled up.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 5, 2018

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Testekill posted:

There used to be a program that would automatically roll up a FATAL character but I don't know where it can be found. I'd assume it would be great fun to seeing what kind of horrible monster you rolled up.

Meh, it was glitched to always make your breast size an A-cup, so half your characters weren't as funny as they could have been

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

In the book Hammond spent so much effort on trying to make his park on-theme to what he imagined the time of the dinosaurs to be like he couldn't even put in topiary that wouldn't poison his animals and guests. He pretty much rushed to complete the park and cut all the corners he could because his board of directors were going to can him and sell the company to the scary Japanese company that Crichton always seemed to put into his books during the 80's.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

logger posted:

In the book Hammond spent so much effort on trying to make his park on-theme to what he imagined the time of the dinosaurs to be like he couldn't even put in topiary that wouldn't poison his animals and guests. He pretty much rushed to complete the park and cut all the corners he could because his board of directors were going to can him and sell the company to the scary Japanese company that Crichton always seemed to put into his books during the 80's.

The irony being, that Japanese company probably would have been capable of running the park without loving it up like Hammond.

Hey, can you imagine a Jurassic Park owned and operated by Nintendo? :v:

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

business hammocks posted:

They should include a scene with Laura Dern or Sam Neill complaining that the bottom fell out of paleontology and they have to be adjuncts at 65 because of Jurassic Park, even though real dinosaurs are totally different and worth studying.

This scene, with these actors, is in JP3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RareAcumen posted:

Do Alien again but with dinosaurs instead

But best of the worst showed us that Carnosaur 1 and 2 beat Jurassic Park to that particular market.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Libluini posted:

The irony being, that Japanese company probably would have been capable of running the park without loving it up like Hammond.

Alternatively Jurassic Park owned and operated by Konami.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Alternatively Jurassic Park owned and operated by Konami.

I don't think putting dinosaur pachinko machines in cages is going to get a big enough audience to be profitable.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

So re: Hbomb's Lovecraft chat on queer fans of the old reactionary. It reminded me of when I was teenager I stumbled upon a folk parody of ABBA's Fernando about Cthulhu and the Mountains of Madness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXqvlRWft8

Personally I also found myself identifying a lot with his stories involving escaping the confines of your own body, annoyingly I've forgotten their names, one involved an artist who could escape to dream places. Another was connected to Shadow over Innsmouth, the narrators best friend married a woman from there and it turns out she's been hijacking bodies, it was very interesting though it did have some quality misogyny. the one doing the jacking is the soul of the family patriarch and he's desperate to escape the body of his daughter because men naturally have stronger more intelligent brains :jerkbag:

Also one story that never seems to get brought up when Lovecraft's racism is being discussed but really should is The Temple. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/te.aspx its the one about the U-boat. Lovecraft was a racist but specifically a massive Anglo-Saxon racist, the captain is essentially a German version of Lovecraft complete with the ranting about inherent racial and cultural superiority. But since he's a German (specifically Prussian) his rants are delivered in a way that's supposed to show his barbarity and unhinged thoughts. But if anything its just toned down from what Lovecraft was writing elsewhere. Its quite a read.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, it really wasn't. Here's a challenge, try to come up with any possible storyline for a Jurassic Park movie that isn't either utterly hokey schlock or just retreading what happens in the first movie.

Die Hard in Jurassic Park

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

An attraction based around colourful gee-whiz gimmicks, yet slavishly beholden to dangerously outdated and backwards ideals behind the scenes? Yes, that’s called Jurassic World.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

FoldableHuman posted:

This scene, with these actors, is in JP3.

The best sequel. I've always said.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

E: Its amazing how much the Jurassic Park franchise fell off a gigantic cliff at The Lost World, the only thing I can compare it to is The Terminator Franchise.
For all its faults, Jurassic Park 3 has some entertaining set pieces and its done and dusted within 90 minutes. Its not going down on any list as the best of anything, but its fun for what it is and doesn't overstay its welcome. Jurassic World was proper shite though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Really enjoyed Hbombs last video, if you all liked his analysis I think you should track down a copy of Lovecraft Unbound. It is a collection of short stories inspired by Lovecraft mythos. One in particular that is relevant is titled Vernon, driving Simon Kurt Unsworth.

It's one of the strongest stories in the book and also has the least to do with tentacle monsters from beyond and so on.

e;
I would call it THE strongest but that honor goes to Leng Marc Laidlaw. I'm a sucker for mushrooms. :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 5, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

logger posted:

He pretty much rushed to complete the park and cut all the corners he could because his board of directors were going to can him and sell the company to the scary Japanese company that Crichton always seemed to put into his books during the 80's.

This was 80 culture all over, the Japanese terrified Americans with their quality cars and (seemingly) booming economy. I won't post a screed from my phone but it can all be distilled into the "READ. MY. FAX!" scene from the second back to the future

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Baka-nin posted:

So re: Hbomb's Lovecraft chat on queer fans of the old reactionary. It reminded me of when I was teenager I stumbled upon a folk parody of ABBA's Fernando about Cthulhu and the Mountains of Madness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXqvlRWft8

Personally I also found myself identifying a lot with his stories involving escaping the confines of your own body, annoyingly I've forgotten their names, one involved an artist who could escape to dream places. Another was connected to Shadow over Innsmouth, the narrators best friend married a woman from there and it turns out she's been hijacking bodies, it was very interesting though it did have some quality misogyny. the one doing the jacking is the soul of the family patriarch and he's desperate to escape the body of his daughter because men naturally have stronger more intelligent brains :jerkbag:

You're thinking of Dreamquest of Unknown Kaddath (or another member of his Dream Cycle) and The Thing on the Doorstep, respectively

quote:

Also one story that never seems to get brought up when Lovecraft's racism is being discussed but really should is The Temple. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/te.aspx its the one about the U-boat. Lovecraft was a racist but specifically a massive Anglo-Saxon racist, the captain is essentially a German version of Lovecraft complete with the ranting about inherent racial and cultural superiority. But since he's a German (specifically Prussian) his rants are delivered in a way that's supposed to show his barbarity and unhinged thoughts. But if anything its just toned down from what Lovecraft was writing elsewhere. Its quite a read.

I don't think I've read that one. Will give it a look!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Baka-nin posted:

it was very interesting though it did have some quality misogyny. the one doing the jacking is the soul of the family patriarch and he's desperate to escape the body of his daughter because men naturally have stronger more intelligent brains :jerkbag:

Now THIS was an unfortunately common attitude of the time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, because feathered dinosaurs look dumb as hell.
They are when the paleoartist goes overboard, but most actually look pretty cool; I think a big problem is that for some reason they give them complex feathers when for most dinosaurs the feathers were pretty simple.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Defunctland has been a real useful resource in proving this to be true, I hope he hits the saga of Geauga lake/Seaworld Ohio-> Six Flags Ohio/Seaworld Ohio-> Just Six Flags Ohio -> Geauga Lake. Man I'm probably the only person here who has been there :smith:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

They are when the paleoartist goes overboard, but most actually look pretty cool; I think a big problem is that for some reason they give them complex feathers when for most dinosaurs the feathers were pretty simple.

Counterpoint.