Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It’s finally back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like we saw Think Tank later, just all beat to hell?
You're confusing him with Battleaxe, Harangutan's wife (and technically the one who killed Think Tank). All of Rusty's potential arches are dead.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Redusa made it!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Let's be honest, here.

Even if Season 8 were already approved, it's still just Season 7 for the foreseeable future. I'm emphasizing that because we are talking about a future we can foresee. Who knows what will be happening in 2525? I mean, if man is still alive... if woman can survive... what may they find?

Nice.

Cloks posted:

I looked this up and while there's no official release, Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick have said that it was renewed for season 8 and that they were working on both simultaneously.

Yeah, I recall that too but couldn't find an immediate reference anywhere.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If I had more time, I’d write an essay examining how Venture Brothers and Homestuck are similar in terms of their love of setting up expectations and then deliberately refusing to satisfy them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X_Toad posted:

You're confusing him with Battleaxe, Harangutan's wife (and technically the one who killed Think Tank). All of Rusty's potential arches are dead.

I'd have to watch it again, but I'm sure you saw on a screen or someone mentioned him being injured not killed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aside from Red Death, who is noted to only arch once a year (and not happy til he leaves at least one corpse) and so presumably is no longer a concern for at least that long.

Rand Brittain posted:

If I had more time, I’d write an essay examining how Venture Brothers and Homestuck are similar in terms of their love of setting up expectations and then deliberately refusing to satisfy them.

Wasn't 8-Bit Theatre big on anticlimax like that?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Red death was so loving cool, it’s amazing to think that you can get a character of that tier after so many years

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aside from Red Death, who is noted to only arch once a year (and not happy til he leaves at least one corpse) and so presumably is no longer a concern for at least that long.

Wasn't 8-Bit Theatre big on anticlimax like that?

In Brian Clevinger's defense he started that stuff 4 years before Venture Bros got out there and almost a full decade before Homestuck got off the ground, and ended during Homestuck's first year.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Boy the pilot is a fair bit more racist then I remember

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeaaaaaaah, the pilot was reallly REALLY rough.

They totally got Brock right away in the Pilot though.

Also doc was less of a dick in the pilot, glad they changed that.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
aaaaaaaa it's coming back guys oh my god is it real are we real

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gravity bongs, ceaseless tweets, and date rapery

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this show. It was just uncomfortable telling my girlfriend "oh god it's not normally this racist" . That said, Brock is zeroed in immediately and it's great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I re-watched Season 6 and it is so narratively tight, it's amazing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I have a lot to do this month, but hooo boy does having both a venture bros artbook and entire nother loving season get me psyched for it to be August already.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

Red death was so loving cool, it’s amazing to think that you can get a character of that tier after so many years

I think he stands out for being a character who is powerful, competent and actually has his poo poo together. Pretty much unique in the Ventureverse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think he stands out for being a character who is powerful, competent and actually has his poo poo together. Pretty much unique in the Ventureverse.

He's super cool and great. You just like him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The worst part about the Red Death was the too-on-the-nose call back to Taken. And it was still awesome because Clancy motherfucking Brown! :swoon:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You wound think a competent Villain would be annoying but Red Death was great. Dude just really likes arching

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

AlternateNu posted:

The worst part about the Red Death was the too-on-the-nose call back to Taken. And it was still awesome because Clancy motherfucking Brown! :swoon:

That and the Monarch's whole reaction to the thing also made up for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It makes sense that, basically, he's what the Monarch wants to be, and an inspiration for his worst motivations; to kill your enemy and fulfil your purpose so that you can be free to fulfil your base desires. He is a bad and probably false mentor... though the terror comes as what if he isn't? What if that crime can truly set you free?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
A man can do terrible things when he's lost his way.

Terrible things...

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Having The Red Death use that line from taken kinda ruined it for me. All the amazing writing in the show and The Red Death's big moment is something the internet ran into the ground 4 years prior. Season six came out in 2016 and that film came out in 2009. Hell the previous season came out after Taken 2.

Eh, maybe I'm the odd one out here, I just feel they could have done something better. We could have had some amazing monologue from The Red Death that we could be quoting in the thread instead of what we got.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah that line sucked but not enough to ruin that character.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Nah, Red Death is an old dad who totally still thinks the taken monologue is cool and I'm here for it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

RandallODim posted:

Nah, Red Death is an old dad who totally still thinks the taken monologue is cool and I'm here for it.

That’s how I took it. And he also has the gravitas to pull it off. It’s one of those jokes that’s either really lame or meta as gently caress.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Honestly, the only reason I give that monologue a pass is because of Monarch's and 21's reaction to it.

Read Death: [quote from Taken, basically, "let her go!"]
Monarch: Uhm... OK... sssssorry? [hangs up phone]

He just immediately abandons his plan, forgetting that they don't actually have her to release her in his haste to avoid RD's wrath. And poor 21... "He's gonna go all Liam Neeson on us, he's gonna vaporize us!"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I let that pass because VB when they do make cultural jokes, it tends to lead to a funny bit.

While it was outdated, yeah Monarch and 21 basically making GBS threads themselves really sells it.

Also, we did get Clancy Brown saying it and my god when he hams up the evil characters, he's really good at it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shindragon posted:

You wound think a competent Villain would be annoying but Red Death was great. Dude just really likes arching

It helps that he's still plenty quirky

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oooh, brownies!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked that Red Death actually complimented The Monarch, he liked the Scaronette cannon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When most people do that line, it's lame, but Red Death pulled it off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Monarch being incredibly flattered that the Red Death knows who he is is pretty fun.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The two dudes locked in the basement was a pretty amazing macabre scene. And the fact the monarch was only mad because he didn’t know they had another bathroom is the perfect way to close the season for them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What episode has the Dr. Z video about "how to spot a bungler"? Can't find it online.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm totally torn between wanting to binge the show all the way through before August 5th, and wanting to binge the audio commentaries (which I've never heard before past season 1). Life's tough 😰

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

What episode has the Dr. Z video about "how to spot a bungler"? Can't find it online.

Oh man, it's one of the St. Cloud episodes... was it "What Color is Your Cleansuit?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It’s whatever one has st cloud joining the guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

tarlibone posted:

Oh man, it's one of the St. Cloud episodes... was it "What Color is Your Cleansuit?"
Yeah that's the one.