Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Unless they're only renting the rare games from generous collectors or expecting to try and flip them afterwards*, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to hold on to the cartridges. They're kind of a sunk cost.

* I don't know how low GCCX's budget is, but it surely can't be that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rochallor posted:

* I don't know how low GCCX's budget is, but it surely can't be that low.

Outside of the U.S., TV budgets tend to be pretty drat low, at least relatively. We're talking about a show where its star has to do a ton of other stuff including live radio interviews at like 2 A.M.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How famous is Arino in Japan? Like in terms of Kardashian siblings.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rob.

...I don't actually know the relative fame levels (or all the names) of the Kardashians, but Arino is one of a very very very great many comedians in Japan. My friends/family there (young 40-year-olds) recognize him in an "Oh, yeah, him" kind of way. Just one point on the graph.

eta: A search for "top comedians in Japan" brings up a slideshow of headshots along the top. There's no Arino...but his comedy partner Hamaguchi is there. :iceburn:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 1, 2018

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Put him at Drew Carey level, probably.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

They've played some expensive games before on the show, Gimmick! and Battle Formula come to mind and surely there's been others. Do they simply skip the signing of the copy on those cases?

There are episodes where they give away signed merchandise instead of a CIB copy of the game. Keep in mind, they always keep a CIB copy at GasCoin (and have about 10,000 games in total, according to Kan's Twitter.)

quote:

Thanks, even without subs I will bet that them playing a cooking game will be fun.

Arino was going to be a chef until his buddy Hamaguchi convinced him to try comedy with him in Tokyo.
drat, imagine that timeline.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How famous is Arino in Japan? Like in terms of Kardashian siblings.

He's "that guy" from "that thing", my wife isn't a GCCX fan, but she knows him from other shows.

quote:

eta: A search for "top comedians in Japan" brings up a slideshow of headshots along the top. There's no Arino...but his comedy partner Hamaguchi is there.

He just got married though. Algorithms and what not.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 1, 2018

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone I've talked to doesn't really know him until I mention Yoiko.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Everyone I've talked to doesn't really know him until I mention Yoiko.

That's common in general. If several comedians work together as a duo/trio, people are going to primarily know them as a group, so unless they're huge fans of that specific group the individual names of the members aren't going to be instantly recognizable to them. It's why when TV shows and the like only have one member of the group on, they'll always introduce them as "Shinya Arino from Yoiko" etc.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yep. Heck, Beat Takeshi is still known as "Beat" Takeshi because he used to be a member of "Two Beats", even though it's been decades since then.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There was one episode where when he visited a game center a quartet of teenage girls came in and fawned all over him. He convinces them to also fawn over the elderly owner of the place :3:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Nipponophile posted:

Yep. Heck, Beat Takeshi is still known as "Beat" Takeshi because he used to be a member of "Two Beats", even though it's been decades since then.
I always wondered why he was called that, he showed up as a VA in Yakuza 6 quite recently and I was like "aw man is that the same fucker behind Takeshi no Chosenjou hell yeah!"

He was great in that game, loved him. Any news about Yoiko playing more games together, cuz that Minecraft run was so adorable.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a question about the show's music: anyone have insight what piece of music is the "Yanai's theme" - some kind of classical piece - which plays at least in episodes 197-198 (I.Q.) when he comes on screen and offers Arino the miniature cubes.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FinalGamer posted:

I always wondered why he was called that, he showed up as a VA in Yakuza 6 quite recently and I was like "aw man is that the same fucker behind Takeshi no Chosenjou hell yeah!"

He was great in that game, loved him. Any news about Yoiko playing more games together, cuz that Minecraft run was so adorable.

You should check out some of his enormous filmography if that's your only context for him... Sonatine, Battle Royale, Brother, Violent Cop, Zatoichi, Izo...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Caitlin posted:

You should check out some of his enormous filmography if that's your only context for him... Sonatine, Battle Royale, Brother, Violent Cop, Zatoichi, Izo...
The only movie I've seen him in was the American remake of Ghost in the Shell (and wow he was a real loving badass in it I loved him a lot) so I'll definitely take any good recommends for him, I'm fast turning into a fan of his work for sure!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Choco1980 posted:

There was one episode where when he visited a game center a quartet of teenage girls came in and fawned all over him. He convinces them to also fawn over the elderly owner of the place :3:
Seems like most of the episodes are spent fawning over AKB48

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's another Yoiko plays indie games on Switch - episode. This time it's Gorogoa and Inversus deluxe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRkwOckShQ

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Next episode will involve "The Master", "meijin"

A certain game franchise is the obvious solution here.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a blast from the past: Remember this lamp from the "Romance ga Tomaranai" segment in Season 6?

Slightly :nws: for a naked cartoonish male figure, featureless except for one very important, uh, feature: https://i.imgur.com/WXohW5d.gif

I burst out laughing when I saw one in the wild, at my friend's house in Kobe. :allears: It even managed to look a little dignified, if you can believe it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Adamant posted:

TOOOOO EASY

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

rdbbb posted:

TOOOOO EASY

Inoue hits peak usefulness as he explains how to play mahjong to Arino again, I like it.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The content of the two GCCX Best Selection Blu-rays has been finalized

Red:

The Mystery of Atlantis
Prince of Persia
Ninja Gaiden
Sonic the Hedgehog

Special features include:

The Ehime - Kochi portion of the Shikoku visit.
A three-shot revenge bout against The Mystery of Atlantis.
Audio commentary track for Ninja Gaiden from Arino, Toujima, Sasano and Urakawa.

Goods include:

A trading card.
Arino's business card.
A ballpoint pen.

Green:

Ghosts 'n Goblins
Tokimeki Memorial~forever with you~
Super Mario World
Clock Tower

Special features include:

The Tokushima - Kagawa portion of the Shikoku visit.
A three-shot revenge bout against Ghosts 'n Goblins.
Audio commentary track for Tokimeki Memorial from Arino, Kan, and Fujimoto.

Goods include:

A trading card.
Arino's business card.
A ballpoint pen.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Just finished watching the Wonder Momo episode. What a very Japanese game :P Haven't had a good "Continue Miss" episode in a while, so that was pretty fun. What was the gimmick with Inoko Max?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

cubeboy posted:

What was the gimmick with Inoko Max?

The samurai skits were his idea. He was away for a different show that day, so Arino called him to say that he beat the games with no continue misses (which Inoue thought he'd have), and to give the skits 100 points.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Wish Nakayama a Happy Birthday, or at least look at his great profile picture from Timeline 972.

https://twitter.com/Poco_SP_Dragon?s=09

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Wish Nakayama a Happy Birthday, or at least look at his great profile picture from Timeline 972.

https://twitter.com/Poco_SP_Dragon?s=09

Any ideas what Nakayama is up to nowadays?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Any ideas what Nakayama is up to nowadays?

Patient data entry at a Tokyo-area hospital, fighting game tournaments, GCCX appearances and "sometimes looking for a girlfriend."

According to his "Where are they now?" GCCX museum video and own Twitter.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Adamant posted:

Curiously enough, the game was actually "Pocketzaurus: Juuouken no Nazo", which stars a fictionalized version of "Master" Shinji Hashimoto, who worked for Bandai at the time.

http://otn.fujitv.co.jp/gamecenter/index.html

Adamant fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 14, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Next episode will be a Kirby game

http://2chan.tv/jlab-long/s/long180622005750.jpg

And the third Makuhari Messe game will be Punch-Out

Also, regarding the Juuouken no Nazo episode: It's unfortunate he didn't make it to the end, since the riddle stuff is pretty cool, and it'd have been fun to see him figure it out (or rather, get it explained to him). It's a shame they didn't think of having him try out the boss to see how the riddle works.

Didn't exactly expect him to beat it, though, it's a ridiculously difficult and unfair game that demands heavy memorization.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 23, 2018

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
Will we get Tsubasa this world cup? Or only if Japan is in the finale? :-)

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

http://otn.fujitv.co.jp/gamecenter/index.html

And our next game is Kirby 64.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Visited Paris last week, to find out that Maxxi-Games had closed down:

If you don't remember it, it was in the Paris Special, where Arino played together with Fabrice. :ohdear:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy 4th, you guys

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

makere posted:

Visited Paris last week, to find out that Maxxi-Games had closed down:

Maybe they just switched places now? Himepage and Facebook still seem to go strong.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

The next game will be XXX2.

Don't think there's all that many games that could potentially be, but I'm drawing a blank. 1942 sounds like a very poor choice for the show.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 5, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

너에게 날 맞추진 마
(Hey boy!) 나에게 더 바라진 마
(My boy!) 거품처럼 커진 맘을
Pizza Pizza Pizza Pop!
Pizza Pizza Pop! Pop!

Episode 234 - Pizza Pop!

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by hirayuki

https://nyaa.si/view/1053804

https://mega.nz/#!2cU0FaYD!xoFecrfZJmM0Ahhlj6hGHzLfK4ZXBg4-iI1dfgJai5E

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for this episode and this wonderful image.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Saved.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hi there, I just happened across this thread and wanted to let you know that the DL link for (at least) the first episode no longer works, as the associated MEGA account was banned. :(

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Oh nice Pizza Pop! Just saw this game for the first time during last week's SGDQ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCxZbnFd9vU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Have this bonus gif I made: