Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’ve never had it switch targets on me unexpectedly, but I do have the problem of it has stupid rules for what to target first and the order for switching targets seems to be completely arbitrary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of Beamos, one of the things that still annoys me about this game is how it prioritizes enemies in regards to the lock on button. I don't want to target the giant boss that's still 30 yards behind me, I want to target the stupid goddamn Beamos I'm standing right next to and was looking directly at when I hit the lock on button. :argh:

:emptyquote:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah. it just doesn’t care what you’re facing or whether the enemies are actually to the left or right. I’d think with 500 warriors games they would have that aspect ironed out

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Most Warriors games don't have lock on

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Zore posted:

Most Warriors games don't have lock on

And thank God that both Nintendo Warriors series have it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Folt The Bolt posted:

And thank God that both Nintendo Warriors series have it.

Yeah. I tried to get into DW8 after really liking Hyrule Warriors and boy do you miss lock-on in that

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Yo this game rules linkle and lana are the best thanks for listening.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah. I tried to get into DW8 after really liking Hyrule Warriors and boy do you miss lock-on in that

I tried One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 after playing Hyrule Warriors. The good news is that it had lock-on. The bad news? The lock-on mechanic in that game is bad. Really bad. :negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just finished the 2nd Skyward Sword mission, and wow Ghirahim really went down easily.

Also is it possible to kill the Imprisoned without using the Groosenator? The game was telling me to go for his feet, I knocked it down once doing that (with the boomerang) but there were no prompts for WPG or anything and it just got back up again. Then I couldn't knock it down again doing that, I spent ages hammering it with the boomerang. Eventually I ran off to stop a base being taken over, by the time I was done it was in the air and I shot it down and killed it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Speaking of the Imprisoned in that mission, I had a go at doing the Hard Skultulla for it last night and boy did I fail miserably. You have to use the Magic Rod and kill the Imprisoned within 10 minutes. I whaled on his toes and blew my specials on his WPG and even with a dose of the Groosenator he was still left with a good chunk of health left after my 10 minutes were up. And he takes waaaaaaaay too long to get to the second Groosenator.

Any tips... or should I just go and nab a better Magic Rod? I was still using the level 1.

(P.S. the Imprisioned SUCKS.)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

You need to use the groosenator for that specific mission, I think, but for every other fight in the game you poke his toes until he falls over.

EDIT: bring a better rod, yeah. Magic rod has plenty of ranged options, which should help.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Speaking of the Imprisoned in that mission, I had a go at doing the Hard Skultulla for it last night and boy did I fail miserably. You have to use the Magic Rod and kill the Imprisoned within 10 minutes. I whaled on his toes and blew my specials on his WPG and even with a dose of the Groosenator he was still left with a good chunk of health left after my 10 minutes were up. And he takes waaaaaaaay too long to get to the second Groosenator.

Any tips... or should I just go and nab a better Magic Rod? I was still using the level 1.

(P.S. the Imprisioned SUCKS.)

Grab a better Magic Rod. The way the damage calculating system works is similiar to Fire Emblem Warriors where the total damage is divided by the enemy's Defence and The Imprisoned tends to have more Defence on average than any other enemy in the game barring a select few.

Also, time is of the essence here so the quicker you do the missions before The Imprisoned shows up, the more time you have on your hands to kill the guy. The traitorous Hylian Captain that's commanding the others is always at the same place (I believe it's in the HQ or at least the bottom-most keep in the middle) so memorize that one so you can quickly go to him and kill him once you're prompted to search for him.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Fyi it is possible to kill him before he gets to any of the groosenators, you just have to abuse magic and special to either explode all his toes at once or do the instant knockdown focus spirit attack.

Fwiw, I had the lvl3 fire rod on a lvl80 Link.

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 5, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is it just me or does the game randomly remove check marks from food in adventure mode? I swear I grab a food from a map and a few battles later it'll just remove the check.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's because you can repeatedly get gold food drops from missions after the checkmark clears. I think. But yeah it's annoying to not really know which gold food drops you've missed or skipped.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FPzero posted:

It's because you can repeatedly get gold food drops from missions after the checkmark clears. I think. But yeah it's annoying to not really know which gold food drops you've missed or skipped.
I always leave 1 of each food in storage just to have a list available if I check My Fairy.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
So I hadn't done too much on the Grand Travels map in the month or so I've owned the game, around 10 missions, but I still feel silly that I just noticed today that the left side of the map is available to me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What with some maps being really vicious toward the player. I am near the end of the Great Sea map and doing a "win the KO competition" where one person is Toon Link and the other is the person I actually going to play. That fine until I fight Shiek who takes away four HP containers in a single hit. I am playing a level 75 Linkle so that a is a bit much!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
poo poo running some maps on Grand Adventures and even with a gold badge for lightning defense and water defense I was still losing like 8 hearts in a hit to a big blin. I was dreading fighting Volga but compared to the blins he was a complete and total bitch who could barely do 2 hearts worth of damage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've only played on the WiiU before and I'm really impressed that they've totally redone the adventure map, that's some real dedication to a re-release. It is a shame you can't have the sort of weapon spread you would get in the Wii U where some characters would be stuck on level 1 and others you'd have two level 3 weapons for them though. I actually kinda enjoyed that variety.

Because I only ever do it two player the game forcing you to re-join player 2 every loving time is really frustrating though. I don't remember if it worked like that before but I got used to Fire Emblem not requiring it.

I'm going to say this game is superior to FE Warriors though because in FE Warriors all I'm doing in every single level (when it's two player) is finding a place to camp so we can get up to 2000 kills. Never taking any keeps, just farming rooms of monsters all day long. It loving sucked and you really rarely have to do that in Hyrule Warriors. we're usually at around 1400 when it gets to the end and you don't need to kill many more.
The game is definitely easier too, I haven't had any problems getting an A rank in any level up to now with 3 maps completed. Before it was a SLOG on some levels. I think it's down to the damage change.

Plus the item shop is amazing. So are fairies because getting 4k kills in those "kill loads of enemy" levels is pretty hilarious. It actually makes getting magic in those levels feel good.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

This game is superior to FE Warriors because this game is Zelda and the other is not.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

disjoe posted:

This game is superior to FE Warriors because this game is Zelda and the other is not.

The theme doesn't matter much for me. I don't know 90% of the cast of FE and I don't know 90% of the cast of Zelda either because I only played the SNES and Gameboy ones.

At least Zelda has lots of true variety between characters though!

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Finally got all the 4+ weapons. Is it possible to finish the master sword requirements by getting the rest of the weapon tiers via drops?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Taear posted:

At least Zelda has lots of true variety between characters though!

Is variety worth it when most of the "different" characters are unfun garbage, though?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PureRok posted:

Is variety worth it when most of the "different" characters are unfun garbage, though?

Probably not, which is which it's great that all the Zelda characters are awesome and fun in their own way! :)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

PureRok posted:

Yea. I mean I hate Tinkle but it's still more interesting playing him/unlocking his weapon than it is to play Generic Sword Person #10 in Fire Emblem.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

imo the only actual bad character in hyrule warriors is Ruto. There's a few others that I'm not fans of playing as but they are strong enough to not be a total slog to play.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bakalakadaka posted:

imo the only actual bad character in hyrule warriors is Ruto. There's a few others that I'm not fans of playing as but they are strong enough to not be a total slog to play.

Ruto is really amazing though?? Zant on the other hand is annoying to play as, and against. He’s just annoying in general.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Zant and Ruto are amazing, actually. I think the only truly underpowered character in the game is Fi. Which sucks, cuz I love Fi.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Ruto has issues against single targets that aren't giant bosses but she wrecks crowds and giant bosses.
Zant takes more attention to use but he's really really good and fun and silly.
I'd say Fi is the most garbage character in the game, and has been ever since Agitha and Zant got buffs in the early Wii U version patches. She needs to use her C1 just to keep up damage-wise, and her attacks just aren't good at anything- they seem like they're meant to do crowd clearing but they aren't even good at that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That’s true, Fi is just plain slow and her crowd control is mediocre and you have to stop after every combo to refresh her meter which sucks. She doesn’t have anything good to use on generals or giant bosses. I really only use her if I absolutely have to.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Zant is weird but real entertaining.

Also tell me how to Ruto I have way more trouble doing anything with her than any other character and I've played all 3 versions of this dumb game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Probably not, which is which it's great that all the Zelda characters are awesome and fun in their own way! :)

Giant Blade :smith:

Tetra :smith:

Fi :smith:

Spear :smith:

Great Fairy :suicide:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

Zant is weird but real entertaining.

Also tell me how to Ruto I have way more trouble doing anything with her than any other character and I've played all 3 versions of this dumb game.

Find crowds, use the big tidal wave (C6?) to kill them all.
Find giant bosses, use C6 while they're falling so you hit them right as their WPG is exposed, then spam the base attack string to finish off the rest of their bar.
That's about it. If you find yourself fighting a regular general then just try to get weak point breaks, mostly. Or better yet, switch to another character if available. That's definitely a problem area for her.

Deku Spear is "use either slingshot or dodge-canceled leaf wind shot forever," right?

Is Giant Blade really that bad? It doesn't really have anything it's GOOD at, but it feels like it's not really BAD at anything either. I guess, in the HW cast, not having anything you're good at is a penalty all its own, though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The giant blades's fun.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

Find crowds, use the big tidal wave (C6?) to kill them all.
Find giant bosses, use C6 while they're falling so you hit them right as their WPG is exposed, then spam the base attack string to finish off the rest of their bar.
That's about it. If you find yourself fighting a regular general then just try to get weak point breaks, mostly. Or better yet, switch to another character if available. That's definitely a problem area for her.

Deku Spear is "use either slingshot or dodge-canceled leaf wind shot forever," right?

Is Giant Blade really that bad? It doesn't really have anything it's GOOD at, but it feels like it's not really BAD at anything either. I guess, in the HW cast, not having anything you're good at is a penalty all its own, though.

It's pretty bad. Not Spear or Tetra or especially Great Fairy levels of bad, but it's honestly frustrating to play with.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's pretty bad. Not Spear or Tetra or especially Great Fairy levels of bad, but it's honestly frustrating to play with.

No, not really.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

No, not really.

Yes, really.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Who are y'alls favorite boss killers? Linkle is good at everything but Lana's book is probably my favorite for bosses. Use her C4 to put 3 walls up on the boss and then do it again in the same spot and the second round of walls shatters the first 3 and just explodes any boss's wpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

C1 to (sometimes) break WPGs on generals, C# whichever makes the water bubble that she then slashes through for crowds, C# whichever one makes the rain of water kunai for giant boss WPGs? She has moves that feel fun to use but her overall kit definitely feels like it's missing SOMEthing.