Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

After 2 1/2 years since I started training and probably a good 40% of it injured or not training I finally was promoted to blue belt. However I don't my actual belt till next Tuesday.

Pretty crazy I got it. Best advice is stick with it.

Congrats :redass: I believe is the correct smiley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Digital Jedi posted:

After 2 1/2 years since I started training and probably a good 40% of it injured or not training I finally was promoted to blue belt. However I don't my actual belt till next Tuesday.

Congrats!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Digital Jedi posted:

Awesome job dude.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Digital Jedi posted:

Congrats man. Marathon, not a sprint.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Congrats dude

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Saw this on reddit:

quote:

Hi TwoXChromosomes.

TLDR: A well known member of our martial arts community escalated predatory behavior over the years towards my wife. She confronted him, he gaslit her, she told the coach, coach investigated, other women came forward, predator is banned.

I thought this would be a good place to post this in support of all women coming forward about being sexually harassed.

My wife and I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), a grappling martial art involving close contact. We have been doing it for several years and are heavily involved in the BJJ community. We are both "blue belts," the first colored rank in the art, which although low on the totem pole, signifies significant commitment to the art.

An older individual who had been in our program when we started took interest in helping my wife (then girlfriend) get the basics, a pattern he repeated with pretty much every woman who joined the program. My wife is pretty strong and muscular for her size due to weight training, and they sort of developed a joke about how she's "strong like a man."

It started with seemingly innocuous comments about her arms/bicep muscles being strong/developed. My girlfriend thought it was funny and even enjoyed the compliment to a degree. Personally it wasn't my favorite thing but at first it wasn't uncomfortable for her, and it wasn't my place to tell her how to take it (how I felt at the time).

Flash forward a year and the comments got weirder, one of which was "God you're so strong like a man I should check down there to make sure" (I was not aware of this comment), and she noticed various odd "touches" when he showed her moves; a light pat on the butt, a pinch when rolling (rolling is the term for live training with a partner), etc. Because the art involves such close contact, she wrote the touches off as just part of the rolling, and the comments as "Oh thats just how he is". Red flags for me, but it sort of remained a joke to her.

The last straw that made her completely realize he was a predator was 2 weeks ago. He had her in a certain position where his hands were crossed in front of her chest. Rather than clasp his hands together as the position demands, he grabbed her left breast and squeezed hard. She immediately scrambled out of the position. Right after the roll, he said:

"Wow, you are like a man, I grab your chest (he's foreign and speaks improper grammar) and there's nothing there!"

I was not at class that day, she came home and told me. A bunch of us were going to the bar to say goodbye to another teammate who was moving, and the predator would be there. I told her she had to confront him about everything or I would, (I was furious at the time, and I am a mixed martial artist who would have no problem beating the crap out of this guy, so I thought it best that I stay cool and let her do the confronting, I am aware that the law frowns upon retaliatory violence, plus I felt it would empower her more to do it, and since she was the victim that was important, I supported her 100% but did not want it to seem like she needed a man to do this).

She confronted him hard and he could barely look her in the eye. Long story short he told her "you're wrong, I'm a married man, you're like a sister to me, if I wanted to cheat on my wife I would go to a bar (to me a very awful thing to say in of itself)." She replied "well I hope you didn't grope your sister" and "you are the reason women are scared to do martial arts."

She maintained her position and he continued to gaslight her. She told the coach the next day and he was furious, he confronted the predator at the next class, and he continued to deny it.

The coach started investigating, leading several other young women to come forward with similar stories. They even thanked my wife, saying they were too embarrassed/scared to come forward, and told her we need more women like her who will stand up.

Interestingly, the older married women in the program said they never had this experience, which led the coach to realize he picked his victims specifically.

He will now be banned from the studio we train at, and everyone will be made aware why (I hope).

The hardest part was some of our closest friends admitted THEY DIDN'T BELIEVE MY WIFE until the other women came forward.

I posted the story when it happened to the /r/bjj reddit. Most comments were supportive but some were absolutely abhorrent and disgusting (ie "well are her tits small?" "she probably liked it" "you got cucked" etc)

To all women. I urge you to call these fuckers out immediately in any situation, who knows how many women were scared out of our studio on their first class because this guy "showed them the ropes."

I now understand why it's so hard for women to come forward about this crap, if anything it's been a learning experience for myself and my wife.

gently caress anyone doing poo poo like this. Black belt should have said nothing, rolled with him and snapped an elbow backwards imo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks all!

Neon Belly posted:

Congrats man. Marathon, not a sprint.

That is the biggest reason I took so much take off from injuries. Rather be out a month or so come back better then push through injuries. Just always kept that and the fact I don't intend to ever completely stop. I'll get there eventually.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nierbo posted:

Saw this on reddit:

gently caress anyone doing poo poo like this. Black belt should have said nothing, rolled with him and snapped an elbow backwards imo.

I wish there'd be some more name and shame in this kind of thing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I once booted a fellow blackbelt (nobody known or famous) from a social media group because a woman told me he had behaved inappropriately toward her in rolling and they didn't feel safe with him in the group. I don't train with the guy so I couldn't confront him in person or anything.

I've never really served as a mat enforcer or anything but the few times I've done so is when someone maliciously or very carelessly hurts a smaller less experienced training partner. That will set me the gently caress off. If you're a big dude and you pop some 95 lb person's shoulder by explosively cranking a kimura, you can rest assured I'll be asking you for the next roll and it's probably a good idea to feign concern for your opponent and help them off the mats and go shower instead of having me kneeride your face for 5 minutes by sticking around.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

CommonShore posted:

A lot of times the victim themselves don't want a very public name and shame because it can expose their identity as well.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Congratulations!!! Blue belt is a fun belt to really play around and experiment and find what your game is.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone else doing the SoCal NoGi summit this weekend? Starts tomorrow. Keenan Cornelius, Jean Jacques Machado, Eduardo Telles and Vinny Magahales just to name a few that are teaching down in San Diego. Wondering if any goons are in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

A lot of times the victim themselves don't want a very public name and shame because it can expose their identity as well.

I know, but it reminds me of the crooked cop problem. Without it being public there's nothing really stoping a turd like that from going to the next town and doing it again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CommonShore posted:

There's probably a level of liability that people don't want. Local gym leadership knowing about the guy and keeping him out is one thing. Publicly calling him a sex pest could end up a lawsuit for libel/slander.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think any person groping girls in practice intentionally is a turd and should get a solid crocop kick to the nuts.

It's not hard to roll with a girl and not grope or be pervy on them.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Is it Chael Crash that trains at Ralph's in SF? Looks like Osiander is leaving/fired and they're going to slowly rebrand as a Gracie Barra

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I read that Kurt got fired from Ralph's but there is no way Ralph's is becoming a Gracie Barra. Where did you read about the Barra thing?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Yuns posted:

I read that Kurt got fired from Ralph's but there is no way Ralph's is becoming a Gracie Barra. Where did you read about the Barra thing?

Reddit - sounds like the entire gym is getting restructured. I had fun when I visited there so it's a shame.

old.flv fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 6, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

old.flv posted:

Reddit - sounds like the entire gym is getting restructured. I had fun when I visited there so it's a shame.
Thanks. I'll check out the thread.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Interview with Kurt about it is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgiX5uyM9lo

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I don't think it's going to be a GB. Sounds like Ralph brought in someone affiliated with GB to help turn things around but I see no evidence that they are changing affiliations. No way Ralph pays Carlinhos and reports to someone in the GB organization. There's a reason why Renzo/Ralph/Ryan are independent of GB.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Since Bryan Ortega's fight is cancelled he and Rener are teaching a seminar (free) at my gym tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

JaySB posted:

Since Bryan Ortega's fight is cancelled he and Rener are teaching a seminar (free) at my gym tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked.
Sounds great especially since they're doing it for free.

Renzo and John Smith did a joint seminar in upstate NY a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't attend but that was one of the few seminars that I regret not attending. Would have been amazing to have John Smith teaching takedowns for BJJ jointly with Renzo.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

Renzo and John Smith did a joint seminar in upstate NY a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't attend but that was one of the few seminars that I regret not attending. Would have been amazing to have John Smith teaching takedowns for BJJ jointly with Renzo.

My professor went to that and said it was amazing. I'm hoping that his attending results in us doing more stuff from standing.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

I wish there was a better way to track seminars. If feels like it's just word of mouth and facebook.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

old.flv posted:

Is it Chael Crash that trains at Ralph's in SF? Looks like Osiander is leaving/fired and they're going to slowly rebrand as a Gracie Barra

I don’t train there anymore but I did for years and years. Kurt is like a creepy uncle/step dad to me and I’m so god damned tired of SF BJJ drama.

I’ll keep you guys updated if I hear anything super juicy

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

I don’t train there anymore but I did for years and years. Kurt is like a creepy uncle/step dad to me and I’m so god damned tired of SF BJJ drama.

I’ll keep you guys updated if I hear anything super juicy

Curious how much it was they didn't want him to play metal versus he shouldn't use homophobic slurs anymore.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I actually don’t know much about it. I only heard via text message, like, a day before the world knew. Maybe less.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I don't have a dog in this race, but I do have a question.

I trained at three gyms. The first one was ages ago. The second one had Ninja Pinto, a IBJFF Gold Medalist Top ranked dude, and the last was Gracie Barra.

The last GB gym was a pretty wretched, lovely experience. They lost their GB endorsement while I was there. I'm well aware that any gym can be lovely. Where does the GB thing fall into place? I see those gyms everywhere and have never known if it's a mark or merit or stupidity.

Even in my hosed up physical state, I still have people I "help" guide to training. I'd like to know what gyms to stay away from recommending.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I've never heard great things about GB gyms but that's also from people in Florida who have die hard affiliations/ties to American Top Team so who knows if their complaints were legit or just posturing/rivalry stuff.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Gracie Barra just means its part of Gracie Barra, the team run by Carlos Gracie Jr. "Carlinhos", the head of the IBJJF. They have tons of top level black belts. Draculino for eaxmple who has taught guys like Romulo Barral. Tons and tons of legit instructors. But there are so many branches of GB the instruction level varies from school to school. Generally, Carlinhos is pretty strict about his affiliates so they have general association wide rules like team gis. Not every school hews as closely to the association rules as others. So the main lesson is that you need to visit a particular GB school before making a decision. It really doesn't say anything good or bad per se.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Yuns posted:

Gracie Barra just means its part of Gracie Barra, the team run by Carlos Gracie Jr. "Carlinhos", the head of the IBJJF. They have tons of top level black belts. Draculino for eaxmple who has taught guys like Romulo Barral. Tons and tons of legit instructors. But there are so many branches of GB the instruction level varies from school to school. Generally, Carlinhos is pretty strict about his affiliates so they have general association wide rules like team gis. Not every school hews as closely to the association rules as others. So the main lesson is that you need to visit a particular GB school before making a decision. It really doesn't say anything good or bad per se.

That's exactly what I was curious about. I didn't know how high of a bar a GB affiliation sets. My gym with Ninja had pictures of him in the restroom rolling with about six different good UFC dudes. The second gym took 15 minutes to help me get to my feet after breaking my cuboid (ankle).

I always tell people to visit gyms, and I've accompanied some really nervous folk. Out here there is team quest, and a thousand GB gyms.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully Kurt can keep making videos as a few of his have thrown some new wrinkles into how I do things or explaining a move I was shown in class but helping me understand it a bit better that I simply can't get due to the language barrier I have here. My Korean is sort of getting better in that I can understand like "first hand goes here" but beyond that I just look at body positions and ignore all verbal stuff and that's not ideal. Thankfully my gym has a few Koreans who speak English ranging from low to fluent to help with the finer points but they're not always around.

Also - http://www.empirebjj.com/

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 7, 2018

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Jake taught me how to tie my first ever jiu-jitsu belt and now at brown I still do it a new way like every week.

A+ would oss again

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Spicey (emphasis mine):

quote:

Over the past couple of days, I have heard a number of rumors about my gym in San Francisco and its former instructor, Kurt Osiander, and I feel the need to address this misinformation.
First, I did not sell my gym to Gracie Barra. Ralph Gracie San Francisco is my gym and will forever be my gym.

Second, I am saddened to say that, after nearly 25 years together, Kurt Osiander has chosen to leave Ralph Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Kurt was not fired nor pushed out. He made the decision to leave our team and start a new gym in the same neighborhood. I was made aware of his decision while I was out of the country for a seminar. After announcing his intention to me, I even offered to support him and invest in a new location just for him, but he refused.

But I cannot live my life holding any grudges. Everything happens for a reason. Kurt has been instrumental in building up the Ralph Gracie San Francisco gym. I am very grateful for his contribution to our team.

Ralph Gracie San Francisco will always be my family. Our team will continue to get bigger and stronger as I believe in the power of jiu-jitsu to transform lives and build better communities. My family and I have given our lives to building up the sport, and our work must continue.

Ralph Gracie

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I think it's quite possible that when Kurt heard he couldn't swear, drink, smoke weed, stop playing metal and walking around shirtless around the gym he took it as management telling him they didn't want him no more.

I've never met Kurt but going from interviews and people I know that have trained with him, he's a big part of why people trained at Ralph's.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never met him either but he seems pretty much my ideal kind of "no bullshit" coach which I prefer.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Kurt vid as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKS5Zp79-54

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He missed an opportunity to say that the move of the week is a move to a new gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

He missed an opportunity to say that the move of the week is a move to a new gym

Yeah seemed like a no-brainer.