Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Goddamn I keep forgetting about the audio commentaries..

I guess I am a bit too hard on the taken bit.. it just feels like a missed opportunity for me. I do love The Red Death. just not that line..ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm totally torn between wanting to binge the show all the way through before August 5th, and wanting to binge the audio commentaries (which I've never heard before past season 1). Life's tough 😰

thank you for reminding me. I need to go through the series with commentary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah that's the one.

It's in two episodes, iirc. St. Cloud is watching the video that we previously saw more of.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just done my binge watch. drat this show holds up. So much good in it.... and it just keeps getting better. Red Means Stop is just such a great episode - to drop a completely unknown villian up to now in, give them a personality and some sort of backstory that grabs you immediatly, reactions from characters that make Red Death part of show so fast..... with such a voice talent all in one episode is just amazing writing. It really is Venture Brothers at the top of the game - after what was already a superb season, they do what I would regard as the best episode right at the end.

I also love how you see the main characters have all so clearly changed.

Are they supposed to be doing a long special like All this and Gargantua 2, or is it all 22min episodes?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
We would have been told a while ago if there was a special. I don’t think there will be one as the last one was basically a huge reset button. Though I forgot the Halloween episode was a special because they showed that one out of order.

Basically,

IGNORE ME

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shindragon posted:

We would have been told a while ago if there was a special. I don’t think there will be one as the last one was basically a huge reset button. Though I forgot the Halloween episode was a special because they showed that one out of order.

Basically,

IGNORE ME

The halloween special wasn't exactly out of order. Chronologically speaking it takes place in the middle of "what color is your cleansuit." There wasn't any way to really play it in sequence with time.

I do think Hate Floats and Assassinanny 911 are out of order because Kim shouldn't know who Hank is yet. Triana tells Kim that Hank dresses like Fred from Scooby Doo when she asks how her date dresses. When they come to the pool in A911, Kim refers to Hank as "that scooby doo kid" but there's no reason she would know that now AND ask Triana who Hank was before the date.

:goonsay:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And I call myself a venture fan. God it feels so long ago but now it’s hitting me that the episode is immediately after Prom Night.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Specifically the Halloween special is in the first commercial break of What Color Is Your Cleansuit, iirc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really wish the Blu gave an option jump off on a branching path at that point. What Color Is Your Cleansuit is one of my favorite episodes, and I always forget about its connection to the Halloween special.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just watched Operation PROM and started up what color is your cleansuit. Gonna slip in the halloween special in the first commercial spot.

e: It's not the first commercial spot at least on hulu version. it's after the big speech to introduce the project to the interns. Love this stupid show.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 5, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I remember cheering out loud when Dean, upon getting that ridiculous speech from The Outrider, looks up and says, "You know what I think? gently caress you!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
poo poo, now I have to watch that again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The loving moppets during the Rockey roleplay are making me laugh my rear end off.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Nice! posted:

The loving moppets during the Rockey roleplay are making me laugh my rear end off.

"You're supposed to be my khaleesi!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RandallODim posted:

"You're supposed to be my khaleesi!"

"Yur a bum Rock!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A few episodes into my season 6 rewatch. I forgot how much this really is Shelia's season for finally coming into her own.

Also, the season is terrific. In my memory it was a bit of a "lesser" season. In retrospect, that's just because it didn't wrap up. Even more pumped for the next season.

e: "...no. It's the good outfit."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 5, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

A few episodes into my season 6 rewatch. I forgot how much this really is Shelia's season for finally coming into her own.

Also, the season is terrific. In my memory it was a bit of a "lesser" season. In retrospect, that's just because it didn't wrap up. Even more pumped for the next season.

I won't fault the show for Doc and Jackson not understanding contracts.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

tarlibone posted:

I remember cheering out loud when Dean, upon getting that ridiculous speech from The Outrider, looks up and says, "You know what I think? gently caress you!"

I’m the only guy I know who watches this show so I’ve never had anyone to bounce this off, but how are we, the audience, supposed to feel about Triana? Because I feel like the show wants me to think better of her but goddamn, was I not sad to see her flounce out of the series. I was SO sick of her by the end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nothing wrong with Triana. I wouldn't be upset if she didn't come back, but if she showed up as an evolved version of herself with a new purpose in the story I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't want her to come back as the Sorceress Supreme or anything, but I don't think we're ever in danger of Doc and Jackson doing anything like that.

I think the way she left the story was a nice natural conclusion to her character, letting Orpheus grow by seeing his daughter leave the nest. And like most goth characters in media, I had a crush on her in my teens and got to enjoy rolling my eyes at her through my 20s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Triana was voiced by Doc Hammer's ex wife, so I doubt she will ever come back.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ah its for the best, if she's willing to walk away from Dean just because of what a talking demon dog told her, then she's not worth it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cojawfee posted:

Triana was voiced by Doc Hammer's ex wife, so I doubt she will ever come back.

but they were already exes at the time of first recording

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Lobe posted:

but they were already exes at the time of first recording

Exactly. She was Doc's ex wife in season 1.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think they just really ran out of stuff for her to do as a character. Let's face it: she wasn't that well-rounded of a character; the only real purpose she served was being the unobtainable love interest of the boy she lived down the hallway from. Take away the need for Dean to have a crush on someone he'd never ever be with, and there is pretty much no reason for her to exist. And, I think Doc and Jackson knew and acknowledged this, given the small amount of fanfare with which she was written out of the show. At least they didn't Judy Winslow her.

I don't mean for that to sound harsh, really. I mean, I liked her, but I don't really miss her because she was easily the least fleshed-out of the main characters. Here's a list of everything we know about her:

• She's a pretty goth chick
  • Dean loves her, and it's not mutual
  • She went to public school and can interact socially like normal people
  • She's scared of her closet because her dad keeps an alternate universe and/or hell in there
  • She has a crippled boyfriend
  • Her parents are divorced

That's not a lot for a character who was around up through the end of the 4th season. Now, to be fair, in order to flesh out her character, they'd have to devote a fair amount of episode time to her. I get the feeling that they weren't in any hurry to do that.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

tarlibone posted:

I think they just really ran out of stuff for her to do as a character. Let's face it: she wasn't that well-rounded of a character; the only real purpose she served was being the unobtainable love interest of the boy she lived down the hallway from. Take away the need for Dean to have a crush on someone he'd never ever be with, and there is pretty much no reason for her to exist. And, I think Doc and Jackson knew and acknowledged this, given the small amount of fanfare with which she was written out of the show. At least they didn't Judy Winslow her.

I don't mean for that to sound harsh, really. I mean, I liked her, but I don't really miss her because she was easily the least fleshed-out of the main characters. Here's a list of everything we know about her:

• She's scared of her closet because her dad keeps an alternate universe and/or hell in there

That's not a lot for a character who was around up through the end of the 4th season. Now, to be fair, in order to flesh out her character, they'd have to devote a fair amount of episode time to her. I get the feeling that they weren't in any hurry to do that.

The collective orgasm from all the jacking off will destroy Titmouse studios.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Battleaxe was immediately a way more compelling character.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
This thread talks about masturbating too much.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Mantis42 posted:

Ah its for the best, if she's willing to walk away from Dean just because of what a talking demon dog told her, then she's not worth it.

I feel like we've been watching different shows.

I get that there's an endless supply of excuses why (having to pay a new voice actor, women not suffering from arrested development in the same way, hard to write for, etc) but it really wouldn't kill them to write more women that aren't love interests or throwaway cameos.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SeanBeansShako posted:

you masturbate enough already

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tarlibone posted:

More than anything I think why Triana didn't get much development was that she was basically a pure straight woman kind of character in a show where basically every other major recurring character is a comedic one

I could see her being brought back though, like maybe have her suddenly show up as the newest member of that Avengers knockoff group, having gone into Superheroics after finishing her training, or something in that area(plenty of jokes to be made by having her become a Scarlet Witch expy)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, we are discussing Rusty Venture, so....

drrockso20 posted:

More than anything I think why Triana didn't get much development was that she was basically a pure straight woman kind of character in a show where basically every other major recurring character is a comedic one

I could see her being brought back though, like maybe have her suddenly show up as the newest member of that Avengers knockoff group, having gone into Superheroics after finishing her training, or something in that area(plenty of jokes to be made by having her become a Scarlet Witch expy)

The Ebony Witch! The name comes complete with people having heard her name before and being surprised that she's not African American, and suggesting she change names.

Which she has, already. She used to be the "Pitch Witch," but that was even more confusing and people sometimes heard "bitch" instead of "pitch."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I feel like we've been watching different shows.

I get that there's an endless supply of excuses why (having to pay a new voice actor, women not suffering from arrested development in the same way, hard to write for, etc) but it really wouldn't kill them to write more women that aren't love interests or throwaway cameos.

I, uh ,was being a bit tongue in cheek. I agree that the show could use more female characters, especially since they ones they do have are pretty great.

Triana served as a straight man for Hank and Dean, giving a 'normal' teenager reaction to their bizarre boy adventurer lives. As their characters grew and they became less sheltered I imagine there was less reason to keep using her. Plus this show has 5 million side characters and, like, only 10 episodes every 3 years so to actually use them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm still hoping this deal with the book and Dark Horse does so well they'll agree to some sort of comic when they can't do the show. I believe this show will transition wonderfully to a comic (I don't want to say goodbye when it ends okay :smith:).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I, uh ,was being a bit tongue in cheek. I agree that the show could use more female characters, especially since they ones they do have are pretty great.

Triana served as a straight man for Hank and Dean, giving a 'normal' teenager reaction to their bizarre boy adventurer lives. As their characters grew and they became less sheltered I imagine there was less reason to keep using her. Plus this show has 5 million side characters and, like, only 10 episodes every 3 years so to actually use them.

Dermott occupies a similar niche, has been in a smaller portion of the series' run, and was developed a lot more than she was though.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Dermott occupies a similar niche, has been in a smaller portion of the series' run, and was developed a lot more than she was though.

Dermott isn’t a straight man character tho. He knows what he is and is trying to sidle in to the lifestyle through braggadocio. Triana is trying to be the opposite. Like she even went along with Hanks lemonade and grinder stand until it got too stupid and lame. She just isn’t really cut out for all the stupidity that is the costumed lifestyle and instead decided to explore her innate powers and do whatever with them.

but yeah outside of dr girlfriend there really aren’t a plethora of strong females characters. warriana and sirena are strong women but they’ve come in p late. moira is strong but insane.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, Triana's kind of a shallow undeveloped character, but they've fleshed out even thinner characterizations before. :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tendales posted:

Yeah, Triana's kind of a shallow undeveloped character, but they've fleshed out even thinner characterizations before. :shrug:

I'm almost certain Triana is going to come back into the show as some neophyte Sorceress Supreme or some nonsense, having her become more gifted than her father would be right up this show's alley.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tendales posted:

... which is why it is notable that they never did flesh her out, considering the numerous opportunities they had over the course of four seasons.

If they can figure out something interesting to do with her, I'd love to see her come back. I'm just not counting on that happening.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna leave the commentaries for later and do my fourth full watch-through of the show before August 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
loving christ every time I forget how awful the pilot is