Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mdemone posted:

I guess so, but that phrasing really smelled like "nobody reported it from 1997 to 2016 but now we've got 332 complaints over the last two years, hmmm isn't that funny..."

Yeah he's definitely coming close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mdemone posted:

I guess so, but that phrasing really smelled like "nobody reported it from 1997 to 2016 but now we've got 332 complaints over the last two years, hmmm isn't that funny..."

I think he's saying Nassar was such a skilled molester that he could do it in front a a girl's mom and neither would even realize anything had happened. Like those David Blaine street magic youtubes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mdemone posted:

Wow, the same logic my dad uses to say Cosby is innocent

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The phrasing is getting at what you expect. Engler's entire tone towards the victims has been "these greedy women are crying rape to get our money". Not the first time he's said things like that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

elentar posted:

Engler is such a belligerently stupid rear end in a top hat.
https://twitter.com/brown_e_points/status/998577935543128064

I hope this guy gets hit by a bus.

The reason you're paying is because your school was warned about this guy many times and ignored it. Also the reason you reaches a settlement is because you didn't want years of this poo poo coming out at a trial. It was a way of protecting the school.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jettison Engler ASAP, please. Preferably onto a busy freeway or into the sun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

always more, always worse

https://twitter.com/ABauer_ATR/status/999637398844821506?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Her name is Kerry Perry?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Rivals calling it "Mammogram State" yet?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Yo what the gently caress

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/michigan-state-health-physicist-charged-with-bestiality-with-dog

quote:

(WJBK) - A Michigan State University health physicist has been charged with bestiality, according to the attorney general's office.

According to officials, 51-year-old Joseph Hattey of Holt, Mich., has been charged with two counts of committing a crime against nature (bestiality).

Hattey is accused of penetrating a dog with his penis and his hand. The attorney general's office says the acts did not occur on campus or with an animal owned by MSU.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:staredog:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This is less surprising, in that it's not at all surprising, but John Engler made some fantastically stupid comments about the victims.

http://www.wnem.com/story/38418965/michigan-state-president-disparaged-lawyers-victim-in-email

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Q_res posted:

This is less surprising, in that it's not at all surprising, but John Engler made some fantastically stupid comments about the victims.

http://www.wnem.com/story/38418965/michigan-state-president-disparaged-lawyers-victim-in-email
Just caught this on Outside the Lines.

It's amazing how much MSU continues to gently caress up the handling of the fallout from Nassar even worse than PSU did with Sandusky.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1014150577071288320?s=21

Maybe it's time to do something about the Big Ten?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Let's agree to stop molesting kids for a year or two god drat

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As a Buckeye, I can safely say gently caress Ohio State.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Remember the good ol' pre-Penn State days when OSU was the official molester school because a guy in Buckeye gear was on To Catch a Predator?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Let's agree to stop molesting kids for a year or two god drat

for as much as I would prefer no more molestation stories, it's good that this absolutely monstrous behavior is finally getting exposed, if nothing else. Always more, always worse, etc but bringing it into the public is the only possible way things will change.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Michigan's only clean rival is Minnesota now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

They had that gang rape a couple of years ago but those were players, not employees, and I think everybody's gone.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AsInHowe posted:

Minnesota's wrestling coach got fired a couple years back, thanks to the ever-popular (except among Athletic Directors) "snitches get stitches" policy:

quote:

The public end for Robinson began when an anonymous member of the U wrestling team reported to police April 8 that 14 teammates were using and selling 500 to 1,000 pills of Xanax on campus. The wrestler told police that Robinson knew of the situation and that he offered “amnesty” to two wrestlers if they wrote letters of apology and gave the drugs to Robinson.

According to a search warrant affidavit, Robinson met with university police officers April 12 but refused to provide them with wrestlers’ names, documents in his possession and other pertinent information. The coach said he’d provide extensive information to police in exchange for “immunity” for his athletes.

“He said [to police], ‘Listen, I’m not going to work with you,’ ” Robinson’s attorney, Ryan Kaess, said in June. “ ‘Why are you ostensibly coming after these kids? We need to help them — not hang a felony around their necks.’ ”

Robinson’s agent, James C.W. Bock, has insisted that Robinson acted appropriately. Bock has said Robinson first notified U officials, including then-interim AD Beth Goetz, of his suspicions about drug use on March 7.

The entire wrestling team was tested March 22, and according to the university investigation, Robinson asked his wrestlers the next day at a team meeting to come to him with their confessions and remaining drugs and “they would receive amnesty.”

The investigation found at least 12 wrestlers followed their coach’s instructions, but “Coach Robinson never told anyone in Athletics administration what the student athletes had self-reported.”

Robinson wrote of the testing process, and guidance he received, in closing his Aug. 30 letter to Coyle: “The [investigation] report is filled with excuses for the University’s failure to act and masks the lack of adequate policy guidance and support to assist coaches in addressing situations involving and helping student athletes with drug issues.”

In the final missive of a contentious summer, Coyle sent a letter Wednesday to Robinson, saying Robinson has “not accepted responsibility or expressed remorse for your conduct. As a result, I cannot trust you to refrain from such conduct in the future. … Coaches cannot decide to conceal knowledge of misconduct and attempt to handle matters on their own. …

“Given your conduct, your refusal to obey my directives, and your failure to accept responsibility for your actions, you can no longer continue in your position as Head Coach.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Minnesota's wrestling coach got fired a couple years back, thanks to the ever-popular (except among Athletic Directors) "snitches get stitches" policy:
Actually this kind of rules.
The great thing about this is that we're already seeing allegations that these wrestlers are Crisis Actors or Democrat Plants or Paid By Soros or Whatever Bad Thing You Want To Call Them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually this kind of rules.

The great thing about this is that we're already seeing allegations that these wrestlers are Crisis Actors or Democrat Plants or Paid By Soros or Whatever Bad Thing You Want To Call Them

If I know my college wrestlers, I’d guess that most of them are fairly conservative, which makes this another example of people getting hosed over by exactly the type of people they support in the Republican Party (ala some of Roy Moore’s victims)

The Iowa wrestlers actually got on stage with Trump during the election, which caused the NCAA to have a hissy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1015302876414046208

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here is my absolute surprise that this shitheal is a republican:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
locker room talk, nothing to see here
https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1015356793428553728

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1015362684999487490
:tif:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

like, 10 minutes after the 4th accuser report dropped, the WH press corps dropped this quote from AF1, lmao.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yeah it's the espys, but

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1019777003245985794

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the fact that they almost don't fit on the stage is super loving jarring

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

sportsgenius86 posted:

the fact that they almost don't fit on the stage is super loving jarring

And that's like not even half of the actual victims right?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bird in a Blender posted:

140 out of 350+, I think.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Half? Try a quarter.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1020360208244264963

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/07/25/larry-nassar-assaulted-prison/833106002/

quote:

Nassar assaulted in prison; court filing blames judge

Less than six months after he began serving time in a high-security federal prison, inmates have assaulted Larry Nassar — possibly positioning him to move to another facility.

According to court documents filed Tuesday by Nassar's attorney in Ingham County Circuit Court seeking to appeal his sentence, he was assaulted in late May within hours of being released into the general population of the United State Penitenriary, Tucson, a high-security prison in Arizona.

One of his attorneys, Malaika Ramsey-Heath of the State Appellate Defender Office in Detroit, said she was unaware of the injuries he sustained and was not sure if he would be moved to another facility. She added that he has been removed from the general population of the prison.

"It offers additional some additional protection but I don't know if it would be properly classified as solitary (confinement)," said Ramsey-Heath. She said she visited him in prison recently but they focused more on issues to appeal in his case.

Ralph Miller, a retired Bureau of Prisons employee who specialized in sex offender designations in the Designation and Sentence Computation Center, said there are two places in a federal prison where inmates live: either the general population or the Special Housing Unit.

"That's the jail within the jail: lockdown 23 hours a day and they allow them out one hour a day for recreation," Miller said.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That might be the least surprising aspect of this entire case.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm surprised there isn't a segregated population for sexual offenders, if gen pop or basically isolation are the two choices, that's pretty hosed up. Maybe that's just a state-level thing?

Then again our criminal justice system as a whole is pretty hosed up

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
In a real prison there's just too many sex offenders to segregate them from the rest of the population. In this case though, if they had any sense they offered him PC the second he walked in the gate.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

They absolutely saw that coming and gave zero fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

They absolutely saw that coming and gave zero fucks.
It reminds me of when Jeffrey Dahmer was convicted and the Wisconsin prison system went, "Oh trust us you'll be just fine in the General Population wing nobody will want to mess with you".