Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Find another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:supaburn: through the curtain :supaburn:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Runcible Cat posted:

We’ve found the legendary Honest Player! :monocle:

I'm playing in the app. You can't cheat, unfortunately. Also I remembered wrong, but I died on that fight a whole pile of times. I am very eager to see if I missed an item that makes any of it easier, because that fight was just the start of how loving difficult this book is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leraika posted:

Find another way in.

The_White_Crane posted:

We should use the oede before we fight the Deathlord if our HP is <30 and we have enough warning of the combat
OK.

The Deathlord of Ixia posted:

You circle around the hall, keeping a wary eye on the frozen humanoids that line the walls in case your presence here should cause them to animate. Fortunately your caution proves unnecessary—they remain completely immobile.

As you pass by the shimmering archway, you feel nausea rising from the pit of your stomach and a wave of dizziness makes you falter for a few moments: lose 2 ENDURANCE points. However, your dogged persistence pays off when you discover a partially-concealed panel in the wall. As you step nearer, it slides open to reveal a flight of steps which ascend to an empty chamber. Here you discover a door of opaque green crystal set flush into the north wall. Closer investigation reveals a curious lockplate positioned at its centre.

Endurance: 13/41.

ou examine the intricate lockplate and determine that it operates by psychic energy. You study the intricate patterns which embellish it and gradually you realize that they give clues to a three-digit number. By projecting the image of this number at the lock, using your psychic powers, you will release the locking mechanism and cause the door to open.

The first of the three numbers is equal to the number of islands which can be found between the Tozaz Sea and the Gulf of Konkor.

The second of the three numbers is equal to the total of islands which can be found in Lake Ghargon.

The third and final number is equal to the number of cities that can be found on the banks of the River Zegar.

Curing: +1 EP (14/41).
What's the answer?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Assuming that nothing’s been sunk, raised, changed course or disappeared since the lock was set up. Guess the Deathlord had everything checked over and updated when he woke up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yeah, it's 100. I hate these "just look up the answer" puzzle locks, and there are a lot of them coming up, so we've got that to look forward to. At least this one actually matched the information given on the map, unlike the one back in book five.

The instant you project the correct number at the lockplate, the entire door begins to shimmer and lose its solidity. It becomes transparent and then it fades completely, as if it has evaporated into thin air. With a smile of satisfaction on your lips at having solved the riddle of the door, you step through the now-open portal and climb a set of stairs which await you beyond.

Curing: +1 EP (15/41).

At the top of the stairs you find a chamber where the walls and floor are thick with frost. Standing beside a locked door is a crystal plinth on which lies an Onyx Key covered by a clear glass dome. Your Kai Sixth Sense tingles as you approach it—you sense that the glass dome is protected by sorcery.

Curing: +1 EP (16/41).

Using your Grand Nexus, you cause the glass dome to rise a few inches from the plinth. Quickly you snatch up the key, taking care not to touch either the plinth or the cover hovering above it; then you will the glass dome to descend slowly to its original position. (Record the Onyx Key on your Action Chart as a Special Item, which you carry in the pocket of your tunic.)

Having obtained the key, you now try it in the door and find that it fits perfectly. You give it a gentle twist, confident that it will unlock this door and allow you entry to whatever lies beyond.

Curing: +1 EP (17/41).
We roll: 3.

There is a faint click and the door opens without a sound. You walk through and emerge into a chamber composed entirely of polished black crystal, where you see myriad images of yourself trailing away into infinity within the mirror-smooth walls. At first you see only your own reflections, but when you cast your gaze around this eerie chamber you realize that you are not alone. Standing guard at an open archway are a trio of undead creatures, the like of which you have never encountered before. They are armed with barbed tridents which they hold loosely in their corpse-green hands.

Suddenly they become aware of your presence and come scurrying forwards, their tridents raised in readiness to pin you to the wall.

Curing: +1 EP (18/41).
Shall we use the Silver Bow of Duadon, the Sommerswerd, our Jewelled Mace or our Crystal Spear?

We could have used Kai-alchemy in place of Grand Nexus, but they both do exactly the same thing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I hit it with my axe mace!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Jeweled Mace for the sake of seeing if it can do something unique for us for a change.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Broken Box posted:

Jeweled Mace for the sake of seeing if it can do something unique for us for a change.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Broken Box posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Use the Sommerswerd!

I want to see an instant death entry for it- ok?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Broken Box posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

I hit it with my axe mace!

WOLF SMASH!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

achtungnight posted:

Use the Sommerswerd!

:same: (it is in bold tags)

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
It has been so long since we used it: It's Mace Time!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Materant posted:

Use the Sommerswerd!

OK. Honestly I'm more surprised that nobody voted for the bow.

The trio of ghastly creatures press home their attack with fearful speed and purpose. You look around for some means of evading them, but there appears to be only one way: the shimmering curtain of light you saw before you arrived here. The painful memory of your passage through it makes you abandon this idea at once.

Curing: +1 EP (19/41).

The moment you draw your divine blade, the bodies of your attackers undergo a swift and gruesome transformation. The radiant golden light of your sword washes over them, causing their torsos to implode with dramatic effect. They barely have time to cry out in agony as their twisted remains hit the floor and crumble to dust.

You sheathe the Sommerswerd and step away from the foul-smelling mounds of dust. But as you turn towards the archway that these fell creatures were guarding, you are confronted by a terrifying sight. Framed in the archway is the awesome figure of Deathlord Ixiataaga himself, the Deathstaff raised high in his ungodly hand. He has sensed the presence of the Sommerswerd and he has come to destroy it. Stunned by his awful visage, you fail to react in time to save yourself. You see a flash of white light explode at the tip of the staff and, in the very next instant, you feel agonizing pain shoot through every part of your body. Then an explosion of white-hot fire obliterates your senses and, in a terrifying instant, the light that is your life is snuffed out.

Tragically, you have fallen victim to the Deathlord and his staff of unholy power. Your life and your quest end here.

Death Count: 23

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Let's try that again, but with the jewelled mace this time.

The trio of ghastly creatures press home their attack with fearful speed and purpose. You look around for some means of evading them, but there appears to be only one way: the shimmering curtain of light you saw before you arrived here. The painful memory of your passage through it makes you abandon this idea at once.

Curing: +1 EP (19/41).

You stagger to your feet and unsheathe your weapon only just in time to defend yourself from their lightning-swift attack.

3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 42

Kajarda are undead. These beings are immune to all forms of psychic attack, except Kai-surge and Kai-blast.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 19
Combat Ratio: -11

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 11

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 0

Death Count: 24.

Rolling a 1 at a Combat Ratio of -11 is an automatic death, so having more Endurance wouldn't have helped. This fight is winnable though; if we had Kai-surge our Combat Skill would be 43. If we didn't have the Sommerswerd then we'd have a Dessi Stone weapon and be doing double damage at a Combat Ratio of -5. It would be tough, but not tougher than other fights we've lived through.

Even in our current situation we could win by consistently rolling high (mostly tens, never ones or twos). It's not likely, but technically it could happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So let's see what it would take to win this. And let's assume that we drank our oede.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 29
Combat Ratio: -11

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 21

We roll: 1 1 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 18
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 36

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 13
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 32

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 7
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 29

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 7
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 22

We roll: 2 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 1
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 19

Curing: +20 EP (21/41).

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 13
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 19

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 9
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 14

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 5
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 9

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE 5
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 1 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE -3
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 2

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 35 ENDURANCE -7
3 Kajarda: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 0

So close! Well, if you don't count all those times I rolled ones and twos. But this is an unavoidable fight (and using a bow and arrow at the start does nothing) so we'll be carrying on, kept alive by the power of Kai and sheer force of will.

The bodies of the ghastly creatures undergo a swift and gruesome transformation upon the instant you deal them the coup de grâce. Their torsos implode with dramatic effect, and they barely have time to cry out in agony as their twisted remains hit the floor and crumble to dust.

You sheathe your weapon and step away from the foul-smelling mounds of dust. But as you go to leave, you discover that the open archway that these creatures were guarding when you first arrived in this chamber is now sealed. You approach the solid sheet of opaque green crystal and examine an intricate lockplate which is set in the centre of its mirror-smooth surface. It is a lock of ancient design, one which operates by psychic energy. You study the intricate patterns which embellish it and gradually you realize that they give clues to a two-digit number. By projecting the image of this number at the lock, using your psychic powers, you will release the locking mechanism and cause the portal to open.

The first of the two numbers is equal to the number of islands which lie within 150 miles to the west of Xaagon.

The second number is equal to the number of cities and towns which can be found located in the Shegtar Peaks.

Curing: +1 EP (-6/41).
What's the answer?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

and now the deaths begin

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

It's probably not the answer we're seeking here, but it is a very important answer. Trust me.

If you could please link to the map with the answer in the update, it might help. Apologies if there was a link and I missed it. Thanks.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

OK, equipment! A map of Ixia

Oh, and can someone else read that for the answer this time, I did the last one.

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 6, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

If you could please link to the map with the answer in the update, it might help. Apologies if there was a link and I missed it. Thanks.
I thought that making you remember the map and find it made it at least something almost approaching a puzzle, but if that's annoying I'll just post the link next time. Or just give the answer myself and move on. Whichever people prefer. Because these "look up the answer" locks really don't have anything to them at all.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Either way, it's 20.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get your logic, I just didn't want to dig through several previous pages. I'll just stay out of the next puzzle, I think. Still enjoying the thread, don't worry.

Thanks for the answer, Leraika. I think you're correct. Changing vote to 20, the best number you can roll in D&D.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I didn’t mind looking up the answers the first time, but it got old really quickly. The best solution for players I think would be for Tiggum to exercise GM discretion and give us a riddle of his choosing in place of a read the map puzzle. Something along the lines of “I have many eyes but cannot see. What am I?” A potato

nelson fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 6, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The answer is 20, but in this case it doesn't even matter because we have the Onyx Key which is the alternative solution to this puzzle. The weird thing about it is that you have to give the wrong answer to the puzzle to get the opportunity to try the key. If you also don't have the key then you can try Grand Nexus, and if you don't have that then you can try regular Nexus. It's kind of ridiculous.

Next time one of these comes up I might substitute a Lone Wolf trivia question.

The moment you project the correct number at the lockplate, the entire portal begins to shimmer and lose its solidity. It becomes transparent and then fades completely, as if evaporating into thin air. With a smile of satisfaction on your lips at having solved the riddle, you step through the now open archway and into an adjoining hall.

This vaulted, oblong-shaped hall is illuminated by flickerings of electrical fire which arc between two freestanding pillars at the far end of the chamber. Beyond the pillars you can make out the shadowy entrance to another chamber; it is the only other exit from this hall. You realize at once that to pass between the pillars could prove to be fatal: the power arcing between them is as great as any lightning storm raging in the skies above Xaagon. Yet there may be a way of avoiding contact with this raw power. You notice that the two freestanding pillars do not go all the way to the ceiling—there is a gap, a little over two feet wide above them.

Curing: +1 EP (-5/41).
Shall we use Kai-alchemy, climb a pillar, or "throw caution to the wind" and run straight through?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Kai-alchemy sounds considerably the least dangerous of those options.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Run Straight Through! Let's confront the DeathLord as wounded and barely clinging to life as possible!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Let's climb because if we succeed in squeezing through it will be awesome, if we fail it will be awesomely hilarious.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Maugrim posted:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:science:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mikl posted:

Let's climb because if we succeed in squeezing through it will be awesome, if we fail it will be awesomely hilarious.

Time for the Kai Pole Vault!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

I'm honestly not sure why Dever gave this as an option here rather than just having you use it automatically as usual.

You stand at the base of the left-hand pillar and utter the words of the Brotherhood Spell Levitation. Immediately, you feel yourself rise from the floor and, using your hands to guide you and maintain a grip on the pillar, you inch your way effortlessly towards the narrow gap between it and the ceiling above.

The ascent is effortless but it is not entirely painless. The energy radiating from the electrical arcing blisters the exposed flesh on the right side of your face: lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: -8/41.

Having used Brotherhood magic to assist your climb you now call on it again to aid your descent. The spell Slow Fall enables you to glide smoothly to the coal-black floor. A few whispered words cancel its effect and you hurry away towards the shadowy exit.

Curing: +1 EP (-7/41).

A sense of unease makes you slow your hurried pace as you approach the shadowy opening. The low humming noise, which has been a constant presence ever since you first entered the Crystal Spire, is almost unbearable now. Were it not for your natural Kai defences, your hearing would have suffered permanent damage the moment you passed beyond the two pillars.

Beyond the opening lies a grand yet sinister chamber. Peering into its gloomy recesses, you observe that this chamber was constructed with great skill and care in some distant age. But it is not the rich decorations which hold your attention; it is the whirling circular vortex which hangs on the far wall like some nightmarish, living mural. Your pulse quickens when you look into its spinning core for you recognize immediately that it is a Shadow Gate—an astral doorway to another plane of existence.

Your Kai senses quickly become attuned to the powerful psychic residues which linger in this chamber. You notice that several empty coffins lie scattered about the floor and, when you focus upon them, chilling dream-like images form in your mind’s eye. You see the accursed Deathstaff emerging from the Shadow Gate. It spins end-over-end and impacts against the heavy stone lid of a coffin, breaking it in two. Its evil power feeds un-life into the mouldering remains of the Ixian Elder lying within and, driven by this ungodly energy, the remains rise up from their stony tomb. The resurrected Ixian bears the Deathstaff to the highest chamber of the Crystal Spire where, imprisoned in a cage of light fashioned by the Elder Magi, stands Deathlord Ixiataaga. The Ixian pushes the Deathstaff through the wall of this shimmering prison and, with a crackling flash, the cage of light vanishes. Freed from the magical prison which has kept him secure for thousands of years, Deathlord Ixiataaga takes the Deathstaff and howls with manic glee as he rejoices in his fateful escape.

The disturbing images fade from your mind, driven away by your Kai Sixth Sense which is warning you of imminent danger. A wispy black vapour is leaking from the circular stone edging which abuts the whirling Shadow Gate. You focus upon these smoky black trails and sense at once that they are alive and that they radiate an aura of evil.

Curing: +1 EP (-6/41).

You sense that the wisps of black smoke are a manifestation of several evil beings, each possessed of a strong psychic presence. Fearing attack, you quickly draw upon your Kai-screen to construct a Mindfort to protect yourself from psychic assault. It is a wise precaution. Moments after the Mindfort is in place, the wisps streak across the chamber and encircle your body. They accelerate to a dizzying speed before launching a massive wave of psychic energy at your mind. Fortunately for you, this tidal wave crashes against the walls of your Mindfort and dissipates harmlessly into a thousand motes of light.

Curing: +1 EP (-5/41).

Frustrated by their inability to destroy you psychically, the wispy beings retreat to the far side of the chamber where they solidify into six bodily forms. They have taken on the appearance of large, spindly-limbed, black insectoids, each with a ghoulish head from which composite eyes stare at you with evil intent. Chittering excitedly, the six creatures come stalking forwards, hungry for the kill.

Curing: +1 EP (-4/41).
Shall we attempt to flee, use our bow, or use the Sommerswerd?

Using a different weapon is not an option at this time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Psychic Ghost Insects?

Run away!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Run away!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Based on the difficulty of fights so far in this game and the fact that we are currently sustained only by the generosity of Kai I'd say we want to get the hell out.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Based on the difficulty of fights so far in this game and the fact that we are currently sustained only by the generosity of Kai I'd say we want to get the hell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Maugrim posted: