Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1015052765951877120

overcooked_teriyaki_beef_in_red_wine_sauce.tga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't Price also fired for reporting sexual harassment at Paizo?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't Price also fired for reporting sexual harassment at Paizo?

Yeah, and it looks like a certain portion of the GW2 fandom has been aggressively disapproving of her since she got hired less than a year ago.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Look, she could have avoided her job termination if she was instead a japanese bald dude who spends a considerable time pro-quotetweeting most of the replies he gets and kept posting whatever cosplayer got his rocks off.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

KayTee posted:

Here's a thing that I disagree with because Alien 3 on the SNES was the poo poo (for young me) and Aliens on the Amstrad CPC was loving terrifying!

https://youtu.be/GM-7gKkurQQ

I like Alien 3 on the SNES fine...but the Mega Drive is king here. Honestly, as far as directly movie-based licensed games go (well sort of. There's kinda more than one Alien in it) that's my favourite next to The Godfather (if only we'd included '70s movies in the description). Serious on edge game. And better soundtrack too (controversial)

I played the Aliens game a fair bit on Spectrum. Odd one. Kinda atmospheric for the time. Not really held up though

The main thing I disagree with on the list is that I would not have had Goldeneye so much as in my top 10, but obv the fans would have always picked that for the top.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChrisHanel/status/1015138194939973632

This is escalating fast.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

The main thing I disagree with on the list is that I would not have had Goldeneye so much as in my top 10, but obv the fans would have always picked that for the top.

What would be your choice then?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't think she should've been sacked at all but I also don't think her reponse was warranted either, even while I understand why she would reply that way. I think Rami is misrepresenting what happened a little bit because the guy wasn't throwing poo poo at her and immediately apologised when she got annoyed for it.

I'm kind of on the fence about "We didn't ask for you engagement!" though and I think if you're going to block someone or whatever just do it, there's no need to make a show of it.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 6, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think she should've been sacked at all but I also don't think her reponse was warranted either, even while I understand why she would reply that way. I think Rami is misrepresenting what happened a little bit because the guy wasn't throwing poo poo at her and immediately apologised when she got annoyed for it.

I'm kind of on the fence about "We didn't ask for you engagement!" though and I think if you're going to block someone or whatever just do it, there's no need to make a show of it.

I get the feeling she's had to endure a whole lot of mansplaining as a female dev, so I think it's sort of a natural and perfectly understandable reflex to shut down dudes who go "Well actually...(1/3)".

ANet is in the wrong, regardless.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kunster posted:

What would be your choice then?

Alien 3 on the Mega Drive is one of my favourites of all-time and would be #1. Other games I would have had on the list would be Little Nemo (it is based on an '80s movie...) and Die Hard on the NES - I've never understood why that game always gets scorched. Predator 2 Mega Drive would have been on there too...looking back I'm a bit surprised Moonwalker didn't make the top 10. Shockingly, as I'm privy to the full results, it didn't even get a single vote! :O

Also I was kinda surprised Batman Returns made it so high...like, it's an ok side-scrolling beat 'em up? MD and NES Batman games are a LOT better though. But hey it's not my list. I'm glad Robocop represented for the Speccy :)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 6, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

GrandpaPants posted:

I get the feeling she's had to endure a whole lot of mansplaining as a female dev, so I think it's sort of a natural and perfectly understandable reflex to shut down dudes who go "Well actually...(1/3)".

ANet is in the wrong, regardless.

Oh, 100%, I think as an outsider it's also a case of 'Wait, that's the thing that sets you off?' as well as 'Wait, that's the thing you fire her for?'

Not to be conspiritorial about it, but that's the kind of response you use as an employer when you want rid of someone for other reasons.

Kim Justice posted:

Alien 3 on the Mega Drive is one of my favourites of all-time and would be #1. Other games I would have had on the list would be Little Nemo (it is based on an '80s movie...) and Die Hard on the NES - I've never understood why that game always gets scorched. Predator 2 Mega Drive would have been on there too...looking back I'm a bit surprised Moonwalker didn't make the top 10. Shockingly, as I'm privy to the full results, it didn't even get a single vote! :O

Also I was kinda surprised Batman Returns made it so high...like, it's an ok side-scrolling beat 'em up? MD and NES Batman games are a LOT better though. But hey it's not my list. I'm glad Robocop represented for the Speccy :)

I can't believe MOONWALKER wouldn't get a vote, despite the weirdness of not using 'Thriller' even when you're on the 'Thriller' themed stage. I'd probably put it above BATMAN RETURNS and DICK TRACY.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Oh, 100%, I think as an outsider it's also a case of 'Wait, that's the thing that sets you off?' as well as 'Wait, that's the thing you fire her for?'

Not to be conspiritorial about it, but that's the kind of response you use as an employer when you want rid of someone for other reasons.

There might be something in that. Like, in that sort of situation a talking to is warranted but a firing? Hmmmmm...

quote:

I can't believe MOONWALKER wouldn't get a vote, despite the weirdness of not using 'Thriller' even when you're on the 'Thriller' themed stage. I'd probably put it above BATMAN RETURNS and DICK TRACY.

It's odd that you only get Thriller when you do a special move on the graveyard stage, and only on the early versions. I believe the reason for it is because Jacko didn't actually write Thriller, Paul Temperton did, so there was a copyright issue.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

She has come across as a rather unpleasant person on twitter (though she has her reasons.) Her response was rather tactless but nothing she should have been fired for on its own.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Die Hard on the NES - I've never understood why that game always gets scorched.

The game was ahead of its time, so a lot of the weirder stuff on it seems more reasonable what with the Battle Royale genre and harder rogue likes on the likes of GOG and STEAM. A bit like Bokosuka Wars being mostly played as an action game instead of a RTS.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
In a world where licenced movie games were almost always utter pap I seem to recall Hudson Hawk being a diamond in the rough to the suprise of everyone.

The Amstrad Blues Brothers game was a pretty awesome platform too IIRC.

(caveat I was +/- 12 at the time and can't find any reviews to back it up but it is a strong memory!

CPC aliens was good tho. :) )

With regards to Batman Returns the only thing I really remember about that game and what I think helps its popularity are the SFX choices. Like the cracking and crunching sounds in that game are utterly unique so far as I can tell and they are wonderfully viceral!

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mokinokaro posted:

She has come across as a rather unpleasant person on twitter (though she has her reasons.) Her response was rather tactless but nothing she should have been fired for on its own.

They fired both Price and Fries. I know some companies have stricter codes of ethics than others but I didn't think of Arenanet as one of them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Yeah that random Reddit poster sure is in charge

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm surprised devs/writers/anyone gaming adjacent create twitter accounts under their real names at all, they must get unreal amounts of grief over the smallest who gives a gently caress poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fabricated posted:

Yeah that random Reddit poster sure is in charge

I mean, yea he basically is. Firing someone for making a loser and his friends feel a little dumb just because the KIA crowd flooded them with "OMG SHE NEEDS TO GO NOW" messages does send the message that the company will side with the angry mob over their workers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

bessantj posted:

I'm surprised devs/writers/anyone gaming adjacent create twitter accounts under their real names at all, they must get unreal amounts of grief over the smallest who gives a gently caress poo poo.

Twitter is in fact a hellsite that exists purely to amplify human misery and we as a species would be better off if it was shut down permanently.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Twitter is in fact a hellsite that exists purely to amplify human misery and we as a species would be better off if it was shut down permanently.

This is the conclusion I keep coming back to, yes.

All the good memes and gifs and cute animals and stuff will find another platform, life finds a way.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Arenanet is clearly a den of cowards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Twitter is run by a nazi apologist and he doesn't give a gently caress how his platform is used so long as he gets money and people suffer.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah, I left twitter at the tail end of 2016 but I used to like it for quick updates to things, link to blogposts/podcasts and dril. Some people seem to spend 24/7 on there in the most unhealthy way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mokinokaro posted:

This. I am sure she had reasons, maybe decent ones, but my guess is this was the one that broke the camels back at the company. She also went off on people for liking infinity wars too, and I am sure there were other weird tirades too. Didn’t help with the KIA spam. Stories like hers and personal expirence have taught me to keep rants and poo poo on SA and other places rather than Facebook or twitter.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bessantj posted:

Yeah, I left twitter at the tail end of 2016 but I used to like it for quick updates to things, link to blogposts/podcasts and dril. Some people seem to spend 24/7 on there in the most unhealthy way.

If you don't have too many followers then it's just like forum. A forum were you can converse with famous people.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. I am sure she had reasons, maybe decent ones, but my guess is this was the one that broke the camels back at the company. She also went off on people for liking infinity wars too, and I am sure there were other weird tirades too. Didn’t help with the KIA spam. Stories like hers and personal expirence have taught me to keep rants and poo poo on SA and other places rather than Facebook or twitter.

Yeah...like, if you post regularly on a public place like Twitter then replies and feedback are going to happen, and sometimes those replies and feedback are going to be irritating (I mean, the original posts that she got don't *seem* to be particularly bad or anything but then anything can be when it hits you at a bad time). And this happens to basically anyone with some sort of profile - YouTubers, people in game dev, journos...the best thing to do is just nix all the "TIME! ENTITLEMENT!" things entirely and cut the cord - if you don't want to respond to somebody on Twitter or FB or whatever then simply don't...don't log off entirely, just y'know, don't reply. Twitter convos aren't a hill worth dying on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah...like, if you post regularly on a public place like Twitter then replies and feedback are going to happen, and sometimes those replies and feedback are going to be irritating (I mean, the original posts that she got don't *seem* to be particularly bad or anything but then anything can be when it hits you at a bad time). And this happens to basically anyone with some sort of profile - YouTubers, people in game dev, journos...the best thing to do is just nix all the "TIME! ENTITLEMENT!" things entirely and cut the cord - if you don't want to respond to somebody on Twitter or FB or whatever then simply don't...don't log off entirely, just y'know, don't reply. Twitter convos aren't a hill worth dying on.

pretty much. just ignore or if you really want to, just block.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1014302371805986816

i think poo poo like this is what got her sacked. You probably shouldn't go off on people on your work account.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 6, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think poo poo like this is what got her sacked. You probably shouldn't go off on people on your work account.

I'm pretty sure that's her personal account not a work account.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
If it's about her history, why did they fire the dude as well? He wasn't even being particularly rude.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

P. sure that wasn't her work account tho.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

please don’t post on twitter under your real name

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hel posted:

I'm pretty sure that's her personal account not a work account.

Puppy Time posted:

P. sure that wasn't her work account tho.

it was still pretty public and named her company.

SimonChris posted:

If it's about her history, why did they fire the dude as well? He wasn't even being particularly rude.

didnt know about him, maybe different reasons. they may have said "gently caress it" and decided to get rid of two problematic people in one sitting.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
This is just convincing me gaming was a mistake. Scrub it all.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This seems more like it was a convenient excuse to get rid of two employees they probably already weren't very hot on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What does twitter drama have to do with internet reviews

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was still pretty public and named her company.

didnt know about him, maybe different reasons. they may have said "gently caress it" and decided to get rid of two problematic people in one sitting.

Fabricated posted:

This seems more like it was a convenient excuse to get rid of two employees they probably already weren't very hot on.

Hadn't the guy worked there for ~10 years or so? There must have been more convenient times to get rid of him w/o encouraging internet shitheads. It seems way more likely that they just folded to the shitheads.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hel posted:

Hadn't the guy worked there for ~10 years or so? There must have been more convenient times to get rid of him w/o encouraging internet shitheads. It seems way more likely that they just folded to the shitheads.

Maybe. my guess is they were already on thin ice and the company decided they weren't worth defending.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What does twitter drama have to do with internet reviews

You must be new here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There were already a lot of internet shitheels out for Price's blood, following issues* while working in the tabletop market. It wouldn't surprise me at all if arenanet was being hounded by the reddit sort from the day they hired her. So pardon me if I'm a bit reluctant to believe narratives to poo poo the blame onto her.

*She was rather public about being fired from Paizo for reporting sexual harassment through company approved means. Prior to that she had been very careful about being polite and not responding to these sort of people.