Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Maybe. my guess is they were already on thin ice and the company decided they weren't worth defending.

can you at least give yourself head with all this gymnastics practice you're getting or what

Like, you realize you're basically saying 'if you're known to work for a company and ever say anything rude to an rear end in a top hat you deserve what you get'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

can you at least give yourself head with all this gymnastics practice you're getting or what

Like, you realize you're basically saying 'if you're known to work for a company and ever say anything rude to an rear end in a top hat you deserve what you get'

yeah because thats how it works in real life alot, it sucks but its true. Companies you work for usually watch your public profiles especially if you have your real name and real place of work in the profile and if they get enough complaints or think your causing possible bad PR, you could get fired. yeah it sucks, especially if chuds are looking for a reason but going through her profile, it seems like she consistently getting aggressively upset with random fans. normally this would probably just be a "lets talk about this and maybe warning" situation with work, but their were enough complaints by dipshits and possibly real people that they said gently caress it and fired her. that or they were looking for a opportunity to let her go.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 6, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
or, maybe, the fuckin rando mob actually can't get you fired just because they can whip up more of them with poorly edited screenshots, and a company can have a backbone? Like, there's dudes at fuckin nazi marches who don't get fired or whatever, but yea someone who said 'gently caress off' to an rear end in a top hat should totally get axed because the rear end in a top hat was able to whip a bigger mob up. That's not how society actually works.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also especially for the guy that's been there ten years 'maybe they just were looking for a chance' is really backwards and weird and not how anything works in the real world. If she was a problem they'd fire her. There's literally no protections unless they're just cartoonishly stupid and say "THIS IS BECAUSE YOU'RE A WOMAN".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

or, maybe, the fuckin rando mob actually can't get you fired just because they can whip up more of them with poorly edited screenshots, and a company can have a backbone? Like, there's dudes at fuckin nazi marches who don't get fired or whatever, but yea someone who said 'gently caress off' to an rear end in a top hat should totally get axed because the rear end in a top hat was able to whip a bigger mob up. That's not how society actually works.

A bunch of nazis were fired over that kinda poo poo as they should be. I am not saying she should have been sacked, i am saying that i am kinda surprised that she was because thats how alot of companies are like these days especially in entertainment, if she were higher up on the company totem poll she probably would have been fine.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I first mentioned the 'maybe she got fired for other reasons' thing totally forgetting about the dude, so scrub that. I think it's just a company being cowardly and not wanting undue attention on themselves.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At will employment is a tool to turn workers into slaves and should not be defended.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

At will employment is a tool to turn workers into slaves and should not be defended.

:hai:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Folks defending ArenaNet are also framing this as if she told someone to gently caress off out of nowhere.

She kindly asked to be removed from the conversation replies as she wasn't interested in going down that rabbithole. He didn't (though I don't believe the original fellow had any malice) and the conversation devolved into a chud gang-up, prompting her reply.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Folks defending ArenaNet are also framing this as if she told someone to gently caress off out of nowhere.

She kindly asked to be removed from the conversation replies as she wasn't interested in going down that rabbithole. He didn't (though I don't believe the original fellow had any malice) and the conversation devolved into a chud gang-up, prompting her reply.

yeah. i don't blame her really for her actions. I was just saying from personal experience how this poo poo happens.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Being rude to people online is not a fireable offense. At most it's a sit-down with HR, watching a boring video on social interaction, a slap on the wrist and a week off from twitter. Kamiya dunks on people all the time and he gets praised for it. Nothing she or the guy who first started all this are bad at all. All the blame is with the CEO for being lovely at decisions.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Being rude to people online is not a fireable offense.

Excuse me buddy we live in the US of A where we have the freedom to fire anyone, at any time, so long as we pretend like there's a good reason. Who are you to question the actions of the almighty Job Creators???

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Austin Walker weighs in on this and the "why shouldn't they be fired for being rude?" with

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1015269638173798400

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Austin Walker weighs in on this and the "why shouldn't they be fired for being rude?" with

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1015269638173798400

i mean he isn't wrong, but he is also luck and talented enough to be editor in chief of an art critic site which probably allows for a ton of freedom for expression so he never really has to worry about that kind of situation poping up for him or his employees.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm only scratching my head because of the dude who caught splash damage firing just from agreeing with her.

Price just seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat from older tweets I'm seeing so I'm not shocked if she wasn't great to work with and management was basically "enough of this already" since who cares about mmo lore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I'm only scratching my head because of the dude who caught splash damage firing just from agreeing with her.

Price just seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat from older tweets I'm seeing so I'm not shocked if she wasn't great to work with and management was basically "enough of this already" since who cares about mmo lore

probably this. they probaly warned her a few times and she may have been like that in the office too. who knows, we will probably never know the full story. on the other topic yeah, I am unsure why he got fired, hell, i didn't even know about the other dudes firing. maybe there was internal poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mikey finishes his look at the Blood and Ice Cream trilogy with Shaun of the Dead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fabricated posted:

When the law gets laid down like that, it's gotta be absolute across the board or it looks like discrimination.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

She was one of GrammarGroots big targets to the point KIA was bragging they'd get her fired when ANet first hired her.

And she got on their radar when she exposed sexual harassment and was fired for it.

Not saying it excuses her behaviour but there's reasons behind her bitterness.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 6, 2018

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean he isn't wrong, but he is also luck and talented enough to be editor in chief of an art critic site which probably allows for a ton of freedom for expression so he never really has to worry about that kind of situation poping up for him or his employees.

Doesn't that just make it even more important for him to speak out like this, since he's literally an example of how things don't have to run that way?

I mean, who would that message be better coming from than someone who actually highlights that attitude in practice as both employee and manager?

Like, I don't get how that weakens the message at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Idran posted:

Doesn't that just make it even more important for him to speak out like this, since he's literally an example of how things don't have to run that way?

I mean, who would that message be better coming from than someone who actually highlights that attitude in practice as both employee and manager?

Like, I don't get how that weakens the message at all.

true. it doesn't really weaken it at all. I guess i am a little jealous, because i wish i had that kinda freedom.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably this. they probaly warned her a few times and she may have been like that in the office too. who knows, we will probably never know the full story. on the other topic yeah, I am unsure why he got fired, hell, i didn't even know about the other dudes firing. maybe there was internal poo poo.

I really want to give the benefit of the doubt (and not give trash redditors any credit whatsoever) but game companies tend to be completely spineless, and companies in general don't seem to give a single poo poo about their employees, so it really does seem like a realistic and likely explanation that a trash brigade decided to do what they always do and the higher-ups caved like a cardboard box.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I really want to give the benefit of the doubt (and not give trash redditors any credit whatsoever) but game companies tend to be completely spineless, and companies in general don't seem to give a single poo poo about their employees, so it really does seem like a realistic and likely explanation that a trash brigade decided to do what they always do and the higher-ups caved like a cardboard box.

maybe, probably. I don't know. I am just going off what i see, it could be a mix of both. having a writer coming down hard on small time creators and getting mad at people for liking movies is kinda dumb and bad looking from a PR standpoint, that being said alot of the complaints were probably spam from KIA dickheads doing it for lovely bad reasons. so now it will turn into another internet garbage fire.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe, probably. I don't know. I am just going off what i see, it could be a mix of both. having a writer coming down hard on small time creators and getting mad at people for liking movies is kinda dumb and bad looking from a PR standpoint, that being said alot of the complaints were probably spam from KIA dickheads doing it for lovely bad reasons.

Also you can't ignore the context that was mentioned before, that she had also literally been fired from Paizo earlier this year for reporting sexual harassment.

Or at least we can't. Clearly ANet can ignore it just fine.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNb7tsLtMw

A look at Cyborg Cop 2, starring a cop named after a Tom Clancy character that is not a cyborg.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Idran posted:

Also you can't ignore the context that was mentioned before, that she had also literally been fired from Paizo earlier this year for reporting sexual harassment.

Or at least we can't. Clearly ANet can ignore it just fine.

yeah that too. she was already on chud dart boards because of that. sucks. its a lovely sad situation.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe, probably. I don't know. I am just going off what i see, it could be a mix of both. having a writer coming down hard on small time creators and getting mad at people for liking movies is kinda dumb and bad looking from a PR standpoint, that being said alot of the complaints were probably spam from KIA dickheads doing it for lovely bad reasons. so now it will turn into another internet garbage fire.

It's sort of a thorny issue even leaving aside the garbagemen: How much punishment should an employee receive for being a douche to customers? Should that employee receive any kind of punishment if they're not currently representing the employer, or on employer time? Is it ethical to discipline an employee in any way for what that employee does in their own time?

Like on the one hand, I'm AOK with supporting genocide being a firable offense no matter when or where it's done, but you have to worry about whether someone in the future is going to try and use that to fire someone for a more minor offense like drinking on the weekend, or being involved with sex workers, or any of a myriad of other things that might not look good in relation to a company.

How much of our free time should our employers be allowed to dictate?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

It's sort of a thorny issue even leaving aside the garbagemen: How much punishment should an employee receive for being a douche to customers? Should that employee receive any kind of punishment if they're not currently representing the employer, or on employer time? Is it ethical to discipline an employee in any way for what that employee does in their own time?

Like on the one hand, I'm AOK with supporting genocide being a firable offense no matter when or where it's done, but you have to worry about whether someone in the future is going to try and use that to fire someone for a more minor offense like drinking on the weekend, or being involved with sex workers, or any of a myriad of other things that might not look good in relation to a company.

How much of our free time should our employers be allowed to dictate?

depends on the employer and the level of douchedom, i guess. the post that possibly got her sacked was probably worth a warning, but going through her twitter shows that she does stuff like that on pretty regular basis over really dumb poo poo(not to gamergate chud fuckheads which would be comendible, but just like random nerds) it doesn't help that she isn't exactly a lead writer, she is a lore scribe basically and probably pretty replaceable at then end of the day. If it were me, i wouldnt have put my place of work and my real name on my twitter. or i would have two twitters. private fun twitter and professional "private" twitter with name and such. again i kinda believe this wasn't her first warning and she may have been like this to co-workers. so as lovely as it was, they took the opportunity when they saw it.

on your other point. most chuds are fired if they start screaming their poo poo at least in normal jobs.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 6, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody should ever get fired for things they posted, except if they we're employed by a videogame company in which case they should have known that employers take that stuff very seriously and not said anything about such an important and sensitive topic when smart people are arguing in good faith.

– Gamers every time this happens

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Nobody should ever get fired for things they posted, except if they we're employed by a videogame company in which case they should have known that employers take that stuff very seriously and not said anything about such an important and sensitive topic when smart people are arguing in good faith.

– Gamers every time this happens

chuds are dumb fucks, what do you expect.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

depends on the employer and the level of douchedom, i guess. the post that possibly got her sacked was probably worth a warning, but going through her twitter shows that she does stuff like that on pretty regular basis over really dumb poo poo(not to gamergate chud fuckheads which would be comendible, but just like random nerds) it doesn't help that she isn't exactly a lead writer, she is a lore scribe basically and probably pretty replaceable at then end of the day. If it were me, i wouldnt have put my place of work and my real name on my twitter. or i would have two twitters. private fun twitter and professional "private" twitter with name and such. again i kinda believe this wasn't her first warning and she may have been like this to co-workers. so as lovely as it was, they took the opportunity when they saw it.

on your other point. most chuds are fired if they start screaming their poo poo at least in normal jobs.

I mean, even assuming that we were all going by Internet 1.0 rules and nobody used their real name, the question would still remain. Should an employer be allowed to fire me if I get drunk on the weekend and someone photographs me puking my guts out? The argument ends up leading to "Well, just never do anything in public and act like your boss can see you at all times," which... I mean, I personally do, but that's because I have anxiety issues, and I don't think that's a really healthy way for normal people to have to live life.

(Plus these days there's internet detectives all over just chomping at the bit to track down anyone who ever tries to be anonymous, so it's like... how deep stealth do you have to go just to be allowed to open up online?)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, even assuming that we were all going by Internet 1.0 rules and nobody used their real name, the question would still remain. Should an employer be allowed to fire me if I get drunk on the weekend and someone photographs me puking my guts out? The argument ends up leading to "Well, just never do anything in public and act like your boss can see you at all times," which... I mean, I personally do, but that's because I have anxiety issues, and I don't think that's a really healthy way for normal people to have to live life.

(Plus these days there's internet detectives all over just chomping at the bit to track down anyone who ever tries to be anonymous, so it's like... how deep stealth do you have to go just to be allowed to open up online?)

depends on the company. My dad is "VP" of small company and he talks about how they check applicant's facebooks sometimes. they don't care if its every once an while, but if every other photo is you smashed(like my one cousin) then they may have some trepidation of hiring you same if your being a confrontational rear end in a top hat. that being said, unless you are drunk on the job, they probably won't fire you for that. but thats why i mostly keep my rants and political bitching to SA and such. just saying. When you work in a public facing field, in a games as a service game you're going to be held accountable for your online presence and you should try to be careful how you often you go off on people. especially if its a public profile that names your company. She is lucky she doesnt do goverment work(any kind) because that shits even stricter.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 6, 2018

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Twitter should go the way of the dinosaur: hit with a meteor millions of years ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Twitter should go the way of the dinosaur: hit with a meteor millions of years ago.

yeah, twitter is alot of the problem, hell social media in general is loving terrible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm rewatching Spoony's Ultima retrospective. I forgot how much fun this series was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm rewatching Spoony's Ultima retrospective. I forgot how much fun this series was.

I forgot how much Spoony was. Has he done anything of late or has he slid into an even darker place.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I know consciously that there's a lot of problems involved with social media, but I still can't imagine a world without it would be any better, just lonelier.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Re: Work and social media. You know how California legalized marijuana? Lot of people celebrated. On facebook. With pictures of them hitting the bong.

Next day they show up to work and get told to take a drug test. Then get fired for having weed in their system. Also people who are prescribed weed can still be fired for having it in their system.

Welcome to America!

E: This is why I do not have any form of social media. Not even my youtube channel has any connection to the real me. Facebook, twitter, myspace? Got none of that, need none of that.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 6, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

I know consciously that there's a lot of problems involved with social media, but I still can't imagine a world without it would be any better, just lonelier.

People complain a lot about Twitter, but I've gotten a lot of good and fun from it, mainly due to liberal use of the option to mute words. I can get my depressing news from outlets that fact check and don't add catastrophizing rants about civilization collapsing every time a thing happens.

Mute words, curate your follow list, and try to have at least a third of your dash involve cute animals or other nice pictures. That's the way to have a good twitter experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I Before E posted:

It would be actively worse if anything. Words literally cannot explain how powerful something like twitter is for organizing and getting movements going.

The people who would most like to see social media get curbed are people like those pundits who were freaking out at the Parkland kids for daring to organize and use social media to push for gun control measures.