Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

whats up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

pubic works project posted:

I am really mad at Death of the Inhumans, y'all.

This is increasingly becoming my default reaction with most of Marvel's work.

Cosmic Ghost Rider, though. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wowwwwwwww thats loving bad.

Kill your most lovable and readable inhumans in the first issue good loving job.

Also lmao at 'super-inhumans'

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought for a misery fest it was pretty effective. I can't even imagine resentful X-fans being able to extract any schadenfreude from the thing.
Horse-wife :(

e: RIP these guys too, I guess (not the Moloid.)

The saddest one for me was seeing Naja's body just lying on the ground.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 6, 2018

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So now that Marvel Studios is going to be able to use the mutants they're cleaning house and doing "penance" by killing the poo poo out of the inhumans, huh?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

So now that Marvel Studios is going to be able to use the mutants they're cleaning house and doing "penance" by killing the poo poo out of the inhumans, huh?

The difference being no one likes Inhumans so no one's going to be mad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rude.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Inhumans as a cultural group I dont care about.

DONT TOUCH MAXIMUS AND LOCKJAW THOUGH YOU FUCKS

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've never really been able to get into Donny Cates's "Look at what I'm doing isn't it hilarious and audacious :haw:" books so far, and while Death of the Inhumans takes the sort of "Lockjaw... in Iron Man's armor... in dinosaur times... fighting.... ZOMBIES!" part out of his writing, it's actually worse.

I kind of assume it's all going to get magically reversed, but it's not just Lockjaw. I guess the idea is that the Kree want the Inhumans to serve them, so the first thing they do to get the Inhumans to join them is to murder 11,038 (the number is specified) of them and carve JOIN OR DIE into their chests and put them in orbit around the moon.

Then they murder the four other tribes of Inhumans from Hickman's run.

Then they set a bomb to kill Black Bolt's crew (but only kill Triton but Medusa is also mortally wounded).

Then they invade New Arctilan and appear to be killing everyone in sight, including Naja and Flagman, then they kill Maximus and Lockjaw.

All in the first issue. This feels like a What If.

Covok posted:

Everyone getting mad about comics that sell 5,000 copies ending are the perfect people to appeal to populism, totally.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Covok posted:

I mean I really like the Inhumans. Loved Jenkins' and Jae Lee's 12 issue maxi-series. And I'm probably in the minority that loved them when they took over the Kree in War of Kings.

I just hate how they were shoved down all our throats as replacement mutants and now that X-Men is back in, they're just being swept under the rug in the absolute worst way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

All in the first issue. This feels like a What If.

Just from reading the description, no joke.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I liked the Inhumans too. I mean I'm not so dumb that I didn't recognize they were being pushed as the new mutants (not to be confused with the New Mutants :rimshot:), but their books were good and a lot of the new inhumans were genuinely good characters. This just reads like "Hey guys we heard a lot of people complain about the Inhuman push so how about we fix it by killing everyone. :)"

Pretty bold of Marvel to base a whole comic off of angry posts from X-Men fan forums circa 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is known that I loathe the Inhumans and Marvel killing the handful of Inhumans I enjoy is pleasing. The hate is pure once more.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Lockjaw :(

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I like Lockjaw :(

The little lockjaw miniseries was cute.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think marvel committing genocide on two different ethnicities on the same day so casually is actually a good distillation of how they view marginalzed groups at the company

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

I think marvel committing genocide on two different ethnicities on the same day so casually is actually a good distillation of how they view marginalzed groups at the company
You're not wrong, it also reminds me of a certain strain of Shooterism that was going on in the 1980s, where Marvel took the whole "the world outside your window, with superheroes!" as an excuse to really make things more buttoned-down and "adult" in a way that meant Permanently Writing Out vampires and culling alien races and limiting the use of any sort of secret society/cultures except in very controlled settings. Which actually brings up another quote from my accidental John Byrne Interview Deep Dive from last night:

John Byrne in 1982 posted:

There are half a dozen of us at Marvel right now who have sat down and said boy, the last fifteen years (makes raspberry sound with his tongue), we really messed up. And we're trying to correct all the dumb stuff from the past 15, sometimes 20 years.
This was back when he and Claremont and Miller and Stern were big writers at Marvel and generally getting along with each other and Shooter, and the most amazing thing about this is

a) FRAMER'S INTENT John Byrne talking about fixing things the Old Masters did
b) Byrne' point for where Marvel went wrong is somewhere between 1962 and 1967

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the idea that John Byrne thinks Marvel was RUINED FOREVER when Avengers #1 came out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well, let's just hope Reader is not anywhere near the other Inhumans so when he gets wind of what happened he can bring them all back!

Also don't kill Reader and Forey, Marvel.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

What's the second one? I don't think I picked up a lot of Marvel stuff this week, but I'm presuming that the first is the Inhumans?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The eternals all got killed off in avengers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1015272350525329410?s=19

E: wut
https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1015272102847541248?s=19

site fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 6, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Eternals I at least assume are part of some sort of revival/revamp plan, partially because I have more faith in Aaron to be a good/constructive writer than I do with Cates, but also because they straight up mentioned the Uni-Mind which is a Get Out of Jail Free sort of thing to bring back Eternals.

This isn't even the first time the Avengers have had to deal with a bunch of Eternals corpses.

The Death of the Inhumans seems more wonton and mean spirited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's pretty bad armor, but I assume it's related to whatever that weird secret society she and Miles got drafted into was.

And Cho just looks like Beast Boy now.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Isn't Brawn an Autobot?

Quit stealin' names, Marvel!! :doom:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Edge & Christian posted:

You're not wrong, it also reminds me of a certain strain of Shooterism that was going on in the 1980s, where Marvel took the whole "the world outside your window, with superheroes!" as an excuse to really make things more buttoned-down and "adult" in a way that meant Permanently Writing Out vampires and culling alien races and limiting the use of any sort of secret society/cultures except in very controlled settings. Which actually brings up another quote from my accidental John Byrne Interview Deep Dive from last night:
This was back when he and Claremont and Miller and Stern were big writers at Marvel and generally getting along with each other and Shooter, and the most amazing thing about this is

a) FRAMER'S INTENT John Byrne talking about fixing things the Old Masters did
b) Byrne' point for where Marvel went wrong is somewhere between 1962 and 1967

I never really thought about it before but man, Shooter really did have a “make it real” stance towards the end.

First he went on the “death” kick, where he wanted to kill off a bunch of characters that weren’t doing anything anymore - that’s how Captain Marvel got greenlit to die. He also wanted to kill off a ton of other 1970’s “non-founding” side characters like Shang-Chi.

Second, he did the whole “world outside your window” thing. In the span of like 2 years, Marvel:

1). Got rid of vampires
2). Got rid of the Dire Wraiths
3). Got rid of the Skrull’s shape-changing powers
4). Got Marvel out of the Cosmic realm.

Shooter did a TON during his tenure, and arguably made almost as many character changes then as the current regime has been doing. Spider-Man’s new costume, intelligent hulk followed by grey hulk, Rhodes as Iron Man, She-Hulk in FF....

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not saying the book won't be good, but what demographic was chomping at the bit for a Shatterstar solo title?

Like, the Domino one, I get. Zazie Beetz was great in the new Deadpool movie, so synergy, but Shatterstar?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I like the author of shatterstar but the way he talks about pure shatterstar is the end of new mutants makes me think it won’t include richter

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Champions has sounded it’s entire run like the absolutely most eyerolling collection ion of dated comic tropes and twists anyone could have envisioned.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nilbop posted:

Champions has sounded it’s entire run like the absolutely most eyerolling collection ion of dated comic tropes and twists anyone could have envisioned.

Champions is... not great? And I read for a while, too. It's got the problem a lot of team books have when all their characters have or had ongoings, so you can't really do much with them. Also I don't think Waid really has the ear for writing teenagers any longer.

People did flip out when Viv's human form wasn't Caucasian. That was fun, though. And I expect why Waid did it.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

how has the zub run of it been so far? something worth reading in general or pretty much just something to wait for when it hits marvel unlimited?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Still not a strong as BRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jiro posted:

Still not a strong as BRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Holy poo poo, I remember when this aired live. It was so great.

Interview ---> "savage" beatdown ---> flipping the ambulance Roman Reigns was in

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FutureFriend posted:

how has the zub run of it been so far? something worth reading in general or pretty much just something to wait for when it hits marvel unlimited?

The two issues I read were a step up due to the way better artist, but it's still not really a must read by any means.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1015377549877133312

Covok
May 27, 2013

gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sucks. But he lived a good long life.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How many originals are left? Just Stan?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Joe Simon is still alive. He's only 75 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Joe Simon is still alive. He's only 75 though.

Co-creator of Captain America Joe Simon? Wikipedia says he died back in 2011 at the age of 98. Are you thinking of someone else?

I think the soul singer Joe Simon would be around 75.