Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
It looked a little meh to me so I passed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Things are really picking up in Black Hammer and there were some fun references in the latest issue. All the tie ins have been pretty great too! I'm all aboard Jeff Lemire's low key superhero universe.

The latest arc of Deadly Class just finished up and it was quite a doozy.

I haven't read today's Ether yet but I'm glad to see it back.

Is anyone else reading Infidel? Interesting premise for a horror comic.

I wonder if the Invincible cartoon will be as insanely gory as the comic?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dunbar posted:

Anyone happen to pick up Lost City Explorers from Aftershock? Saw it at my shop and it looked interesting but I couldn't quite pull the trigger.

The price tags on Aftershock are easily their worst enemy right now.

That being said, it's not bad but going from the first issue, it will read 200% better in trade. It's also got that worst of characters, the Millennial Streamer, who's clearly written by someone who's either much older or who doesn't actually know or watch any streamers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is anyone familiar with Space Riders from Black Mask Studio? Mike Allred tweeted out a few pages, and the art by Alexis Ziritt looks trippy and psychedelic, like a cross between Allred himself, Tom Scioli, and some kind of grotesque Fantagraphics-style artist, with bright, loud colors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.comixology.com/search/items?search=space+riders&subType=SINGLE_ISSUES

look at those loving covers!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Those looks like what's tattooed on the gang members who kidnap Keanu Reeves's wife and children, only for it to lead into a rampage where Keanu fights to get them back (with maybe some support/gear by a side character played by a Danny Trejo or a John Goodman).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Those looks like what's tattooed on the gang members who kidnap Keanu Reeves's wife and children, only for it to lead into a rampage where Keanu fights to get them back (with maybe some support/gear by a side character played by a Danny Trejo or a John Goodman).

Speaking of tattoos and comics, I picked up Atomahawk a little while ago and I'd pretty strongly recommend it on the art alone. It was drawn by a tattoo artist and he has a really interesting style which I'd post examples of if I wasn't on my phone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of tattoos and comics, I picked up Atomahawk a little while ago and I'd pretty strongly recommend it on the art alone. It was drawn by a tattoo artist and he has a really interesting style which I'd post examples of if I wasn't on my phone.

I will second this recommendation. I followed him as a tattoo artist alone, even though he's nowhere near me (although if he ever guest spots around me, I have an idea for a tattoo I want in his style from him).

Here's the Instagram for Atomahawk, which features the comic and some tattoos in that universe:
https://www.instagram.com/atomahawk/

Here's the artist's instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/wonkytiger

I'm hoping for a second volume coming out soon that collects the stuff in Image+.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Did anyone else read The Beef? It was pretty weird overall, but I never thought a comic would have me seriously contemplating veganism.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the subject of food-related comics, has anyone read the first two issues of Flavor from Image?

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is anyone familiar with Space Riders from Black Mask Studio? Mike Allred tweeted out a few pages, and the art by Alexis Ziritt looks trippy and psychedelic, like a cross between Allred himself, Tom Scioli, and some kind of grotesque Fantagraphics-style artist, with bright, loud colors.

I love Space Riders! I discovered it totally by accident a couple weeks back with the release of the 2nd trade paperback. It's psychedelic Kirby style space with swearing and mature content!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Did anyone else read The Beef? It was pretty weird overall, but I never thought a comic would have me seriously contemplating veganism.

The Beef keeps trying to hook me in, but I've yet to make the leap exactly for your reasons. It seems like it should be firmly in my camp of style of books I dig, but it's gross-out factor is just a little too high for me. It looks absolutely delightfully bizarre & twisted though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

On the subject of food-related comics, has anyone read the first two issues of Flavor from Image?

It hasn't grabbed me as quickly as Shutter did, but it's an interesting idea and I like the art. I'm willing to give Keatinge the benefit of the doubt.

Hobo Grandpa posted:

The Beef keeps trying to hook me in, but I've yet to make the leap exactly for your reasons. It seems like it should be firmly in my camp of style of books I dig, but it's gross-out factor is just a little too high for me. It looks absolutely delightfully bizarre & twisted though.

Yeah, it was a strange mix of campy exploitation style art/plot and serious message comic about the evils of factory farming. The last issue had a ridiculous introduction featuring Gandhi explaining the rape rack with fairly explicit art, which then randomly tied back in to the main plot.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Skottie Young's XXX Sex Criminals variant is loving majestic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, post it!

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, post it!

edit - obviously NSFW https://m.imgur.com/hsbs53Q

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

https://youtu.be/CF4gBcIO_OQ?t=2m35s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Majestic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wicked + Divine: My artist needs a break!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Wasn't it a few pages longer than usual to compensate for that bit?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I bought Magic Order because the premise looked interesting.

oops I accidentally bought a mark millar book :v

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Is anyone still reading Saga. I just caught up on the latest arc and I discovered that despite some fairly huge things happening in it, I don’t really give a crap about what happens to these characters anymore.

I think maybe it’s the fact that it doesn’t seem to have an end point in sight? Just people being lovely to each other because someone was lovely to them over and over again. Does anyone know if Vaughn has said if he has an ending in mind?

It still looks awesome though.

Wic Div has the opposite problem for me - it’s clearly coming to an end and I feel like 10 or so more issues isn’t going to be nearly enough to satisfy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kill or be killed 20 was the final issue right? I wanted to wait till it was finished so I could binge it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

krakagar posted:

Is anyone still reading Saga. I just caught up on the latest arc and I discovered that despite some fairly huge things happening in it, I don’t really give a crap about what happens to these characters anymore.

I think maybe it’s the fact that it doesn’t seem to have an end point in sight? Just people being lovely to each other because someone was lovely to them over and over again. Does anyone know if Vaughn has said if he has an ending in mind?

It still looks awesome though.

Wic Div has the opposite problem for me - it’s clearly coming to an end and I feel like 10 or so more issues isn’t going to be nearly enough to satisfy.

Yeah, I'm not quite as down on Saga as some people in the thread seem to be, but it definitely does not have the kind of energy and pull it did early on. You can really tell BKV just thinks, "What's the most shocking thing we can do out of the blue this issue?"

site posted:

Kill or be killed 20 was the final issue right? I wanted to wait till it was finished so I could binge it

Yes. Still haven't picked it up myself, though I thought the ending of 19 sets up an interesting conclusion. It's a series I've really enjoyed so far, though it definitely is not what I was expecting from the start (and I don't mean that in a negative way). I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts if you do binge it, and if the story holds up when read back to back.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I don't think saga has been good since they did the time jump roughly 15-18? issues in.

I keep reading anyhow. I'm bad at comics sometimes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished the last issue of Kill or Be Killed. I think it ended in a satisfying way - the very end was slightly obvious, but I think the story of the issue was still good, and as overly dramatic as the dialogue in general was, I thought some was poignant, and some funny (in a good way).

Also just read the latest Sex Criminals (25), and in the letters they announce it's ending at issue 30. I will definitely miss that series.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Uber Invasion #14 is released! It's uh...hm...setting up stuff, and generally making me miserable.

Re-reading it, there are some very interesting stuff in here. Might put in an effort post later.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 3, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On Avatar's own store I guess?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

On Avatar's own store I guess?

That’s the one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its out on Comixology too now. Amazing.

Yeah grim. RIP Zephyrs.

I'm hyped about that last page though. What do you think?

Go the Master Blaster route? Maria heals up Leah's bum leg?

Also... uh. Is Maria telepathic?

And what the gently caress does Alan have?! :ohdear:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its out on Comixology too now. Amazing.

Yeah grim. RIP Zephyrs.

I'm hyped about that last page though. What do you think?

Go the Master Blaster route? Maria heals up Leah's bum leg?

Also... uh. Is Maria telepathic?

And what the gently caress does Alan have?! :ohdear:

Yeah I'm hoping that is what is happening. Hopefully it's a "surprise" reveal because if it's shown to the reader, it's gonna mean jack poo poo in this comic. Only slight of hands and surprise twists works.

The whole language thing is very interesting to me. The Siegmund thing specifically tells us that übers, not even battleships, get magical babel-fish abilities, so this makes Maria even more of a mystery. It's very interesting, but I fail to see how it could be significant in any way. I kind of assume it is, since it gets a lot of attention here but...yeah.

The Japanese plan is...uh...well my guess is that they've salvaged the malfunctioned Little Boy and will detonate it in Yakutsk while facing the brunt of the Soviet Über forces. This issue underlines the suicidal tendencies of the Japaense military in this conflict, so I can see them using that sort of ruse to cripple the soviets, even if they lose their one (...sigh....known) battleship in the process.

I'm honestly surprised at this Alan stuff. I was sort of under the impression that there won't be much more time in the series for more Allied advances.

If anything, I suspect it's a way to reverse the über process, making übers "normal" people again...only in true über style, it'll be horrifying, with huge meaty bodies collapsing from their own weights. But hey, would be a fantastic weapon, if one could weaponise it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I picked up modern fantasy today. It's pretty fun. It's like imagine a fantasy world out of D&D advanced to the Modern Age. So the Barbarian isn't fighting hordes, he's your sexist boss. That wizard is your annoying roommate who mooches off of you. And you are a ranger from the woods who came to the city for adventure and ended up with a lovely office job.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah I'm hoping that is what is happening. Hopefully it's a "surprise" reveal because if it's shown to the reader, it's gonna mean jack poo poo in this comic. Only slight of hands and surprise twists works.

The whole language thing is very interesting to me. The Siegmund thing specifically tells us that übers, not even battleships, get magical babel-fish abilities, so this makes Maria even more of a mystery. It's very interesting, but I fail to see how it could be significant in any way. I kind of assume it is, since it gets a lot of attention here but...yeah.

The Japanese plan is...uh...well my guess is that they've salvaged the malfunctioned Little Boy and will detonate it in Yakutsk while facing the brunt of the Soviet Über forces. This issue underlines the suicidal tendencies of the Japaense military in this conflict, so I can see them using that sort of ruse to cripple the soviets, even if they lose their one (...sigh....known) battleship in the process.

I'm honestly surprised at this Alan stuff. I was sort of under the impression that there won't be much more time in the series for more Allied advances.

If anything, I suspect it's a way to reverse the über process, making übers "normal" people again...only in true über style, it'll be horrifying, with huge meaty bodies collapsing from their own weights. But hey, would be a fantastic weapon, if one could weaponise it.

I've thought since we saw Maria's blood being tested and shown to not only create a small explosion but blow up an entire loving room and puree everyone in the area that there was something special about her going beyond merely being a 24 activation battleship. I had some doubt, since, as someone here pointed out, it could have just been that the Russians had a lovely test, but now I think it's pretty clear there's something different about her. Leah meeting her was a cute moment.

I like the idea of Alan reversing the Uber process as part of his codex two studies. There might be some metaphor there about the monstrous potential of all humans being put away again or at least concealed until there is cause for it to come out again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

The whole language thing is very interesting to me. The Siegmund thing specifically tells us that übers, not even battleships, get magical babel-fish abilities.

What? No, I just assumed they had to find a German speaker to do the translation then its Groves getting pissed off that he's going over the fine print

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 5, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
That's my read, as well. Did Colossus II/Siegmund say anything to each other in the non-native language of each? Also I CANNOT IMAGINE that wouldn't have been figured out until now with how methodical the various sides are.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

Neurosis posted:

I've thought since we saw Maria's blood being tested and shown to not only create a small explosion but blow up an entire loving room and puree everyone in the area that there was something special about her going beyond merely being a 24 activation battleship. I had some doubt, since, as someone here pointed out, it could have just been that the Russians had a lovely test, but now I think it's pretty clear there's something different about her.

I've always read that as a side effect of the very limited data the rest of the Allies provided to the Soviets. The test was incorrectly set up, in some way. Of course, it could be both?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

What? No, I just assumed they had to find a German speaker to do the translation then its Groves getting pissed off that he's going over the fine print

Oh sorry I messed that up. I meant that they DON'T have babel-fish powers, not even Siegmund.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1015292458169749504

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hell yeah I’m all for this. I’ve been loving Descender and the art is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is anyone else reading Highest House?