Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I’m sorry for saying that the team sucks, I don’t actually think they do despite all my bitching at the smallest and most inconsequential things.

:shobon::hf::shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Can we get Aaron Hicks off this loving team? I think he's either 2nd or 3rd in WAR for a CF this year, which means he's not first, which means he's got to go. -mcmagic

Edit: Confirmed third behind Trout and Lorenzo Cain.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 4, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OBP with RISP

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Giancarlo tailoring his swing for YS3 is so dope.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ugly win, still a win.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I think these Yankees, here, are a pretty good baseball team

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I think these Yankees, here, are a pretty good baseball team

I saw a complete lack of manufactured runs. This may be a result of the Yankees being bad, or the factory being shuttered due to tariffs. I will investigate.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Who cares how well you hit with RISP when you’re always in scoring position with this offense?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Lumpy posted:

I saw a complete lack of manufactured runs. This may be a result of the Yankees being bad, or the factory being shuttered due to tariffs. I will investigate.

The Yankees are the classic American team. Not manufacturing anything, just using bombs instead.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
If Tanaka's coming back soon, I don't see the point of going all in on JA Happ unless they can get him cheap. If you're going for a starter, go for a real difference maker.

I'm convinced that at some point, Boston's bullshit luck will run out (e.g. Monday's game), and/or they'll get a rash of injuries that they don't have the depth to overcome.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A pox upon the red Sox

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Giancaro tossed my buddy the last out of the game. I can also confirm that Neil Walker sucks as a first hand account.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 4, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monday_ posted:

The Yankees are the classic American team. Not manufacturing anything, just using bombs instead.

https://twitter.com/mikeaxisa/status/1014339877318615041?s=19

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mcmagic posted:

Giancaro tossed my buddy the last out of the game. I can also confirm that Neil Walker sucks as a first hand account.

Giancaro Stanton escaped a Syrian prison to mash dingers

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Giancaro tossed my buddy the last out of the game.

Ehh did you see his tossing motion though? That plus his carelessness with an MLB product makes me wish we could get him off the team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

If Tanaka's coming back soon, I don't see the point of going all in on JA Happ unless they can get him cheap. If you're going for a starter, go for a real difference maker.

I'm convinced that at some point, Boston's bullshit luck will run out (e.g. Monday's game), and/or they'll get a rash of injuries that they don't have the depth to overcome.

Getting Happ is a no brainer. It's Happ vs German/Loisagia + the risk that Gray continues being horrible or that someone else gets hurt. I would not give up Frazier or any other top level prospect for him but it won't take that much. He's a 35 year old rental. There don't seem to be any difference makers available and I would MUCH rather have Happ than Hamels or Fulmer among the guys available. He would be a fine pickup.

I would hope that at worst Mitch Moreland remember's he's Mitch Moreland and that JD Martinez ends up being good but not the 2nd best player in baseball... Sale usually gets tired at the end of the season too.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 4, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Yankees should trade for a first baseman

Gotta be one on a team that's garbage for cheap

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yankees should trade for a first baseman

Gotta be one on a team that's garbage for cheap

They are probably better off trading for an outfielder or 3rd basemen and having him stand on 1st

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They've got Bird, Austin, Walker, and Drury as options at 1B and a powerful offense that can cover some question at 1B. That really doesn't seem like a priority or a place to spend resources or trading chips.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

classic sonny tonight, folks

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

classic sonny tonight, folks

As soon as they announced the starting pitcher, my kid said "awww, we're gonna lose tonight. " She knows her baseball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lumpy posted:

As soon as they announced the starting pitcher, my kid said "awww, we're gonna lose tonight. " She knows her baseball.

In a way, I almost find it comforting. Very similarly to the end years of Burnett's time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boston just destroys these terrible teams while the Yankees dick around.

The hitting tonight was just as pathetic as Gray btw.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 7, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Happ's pricetag dropping before our eyes.

(They should still trade for him, and another starter.)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 7, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Loaisiga had an MRI on his shoulder, which showed inflammation and will be going to see Dr. Ahmad. Also Luis Cessa will be starting game 2 of the doubleheader against Baltimore on Monday. Great news all around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees are going to need 2 starters if they want to win the division.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

At least three starters

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
They need at least 12 more starters to even have a chance at making the postseason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Monday_ posted:

They need at least 12 more starters to even have a chance at making the postseason.

You must not be old enough to remember 9 months ago when the Yankees lost a trip to the world series because they didn't win their division.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You must not be old enough to remember 9 months ago when the Yankees lost a trip to the world series because they didn't win their division.

I don't remember that either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:siren: RUN MANUFACTURED :siren:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stanton sometimes has these MISERABLE situational ABs... First pitch DP's... Swinging at pitches 2 or 3 feet out of the strike zone.

That was an important win with Cessa starting tomorrow.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 8, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Stanton sometimes has these MISERABLE situational ABs... First pitch DP's... Swinging at pitches 2 or 3 feet out of the strike zone.

You've never watched a hitter like him in your life eh

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

He should emulate the guy leading the Yankees in hits.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I thought that was because the Astros are an exceptional team and the series literally could have gone either way home-field advantage be damned? :confused:

EDIT - Not to mention winning the division would simply mean playing the Astros without home field for 5 games instead of 7 which sounds considerably worse than what happened?

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 9, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

everybody better vote for Stanton multiple times

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Carlosologist posted:

everybody better vote for Stanton multiple times

I’m a little sad that Hicks didn’t get enough support to be considered for the final vote because he probably deserves it as much as any of the guys on the list. He’s been great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lumpy posted:

He should emulate the guy leading the Yankees in hits.

Question: Given that Stanton has 5 less plate appearances than Judge and his average is 13 points lower, how does he have more hits? How does that math work because just on the surface it seems like more PAs + more AVG = more hits.

I assume it's just all the walks that Judge has, right?

EDIT: oh, and Stanton has 1 whole hit more so I guess yeah that makes more sense now. jfc Aaron Judge is so loving good at baseball.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Question: Given that Stanton has 5 less plate appearances than Judge and his average is 13 points lower, how does he have more hits? How does that math work because just on the surface it seems like more PAs + more AVG = more hits.

I assume it's just all the walks that Judge has, right?

batting average is based off of at bats and not plate appearances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
an at bat is defined as a plate appearance that does not result in a walk, hit by pitch, defensive interference, or sacrifice

• Locked thread