Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1015343190474309632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
E. HONDA: *slaps roof of car*
etc. pp.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ah, Dark Souls. The first game I think to parody when there's a picture of a snake with a cardboard box.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

I live in the south and i demand they get on the hype train that is tri tip.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

snergle posted:

I live in the south and i demand they get on the hype train that is tri tip.

Tri-tip and Brisket are like Connor and Duncan MacLeod. They're both amazing, but in the end you have to accept there can be only one.

(And The One is Tri-tip, obviously)

e: this joke worked way better before I relieved myself of the delusion that they were mutually exclusive cuts... :eng99:

TheRagamuffin has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jul 6, 2018

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

The title of the linked study is literally 'Little evidence that time in child care causes externalizing problems during early childhood in Norway', so if it does make a claim in that direction, it is evidently a weak one.

I just think there are some very troubling implications to saying that child care is harmful to a child's development. It is not possible not to 'separate a child from its parents' when both of them work full-time or close to it. My sister's children spend, on average, significantly more than 25 hours a week in child care. By discouraging that you're basically advocating a return to the breadwinner model. There is no other option.

Watch the video that I linked. Basically what all the recent research shows is that one-on-one care by an adult with a strong relationship with the baby is really advantageous for their development. You're right that it has been one of those bits of research that gets totally misused - I know in NZ whenever articles about it come out conservative groups always sieze on it as an opportunity to say that women with kids shouldn't work. "Think of the kids" and all that.

It doesn't have to be mothers who are caring for the child though of course - fathers, grandparents or other close family are good too. Nannies are fine. It does really highlight that governments providing paid parental leave is an investment rather than an "entitlement" like those same conservative groups always band on about.

Realistically though most kids are going to end up in some form of group childcare from whenever current paid parental leave entitlements end, and the research has implications there too - basically the quality and style of childcare centre that they go to is really important. Daycares need low adult:child ratios, and need to prioritise continuity of care so that the same adult is looking after the same kid(s) the whole time they're there (rather than rotating kids around different adults for different tasks and activities, which was the norm for ages). They should absolutely speak the same languages as the child.

Anyway tl:dr what Denmark is planning does none of these things^

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Elfface posted:

Ah, Dark Souls. The first game I think to parody when there's a picture of a snake with a cardboard box.

I know, right? It should be loving Resident Evil 4 you goddamn imbeciles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheRagamuffin posted:

Tri-tip and Brisket are like Connor and Duncan MacLeod. They're both amazing, but in the end you have to accept there can be only one.

(And The One is Tri-tip, obviously)

e: this joke worked way better before I relieved myself of the delusion that they were mutually exclusive cuts... :eng99:

I think tri-tip is still only known in the West.

Good

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I think tri-tip is still only known in the West.

Good

It’s definitely a thing in Nebraska.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Huh, I've never tried barbecuing a whole tri-tip or brisket before. Wouldn't it take a really long time to barbecue such a big piece of meat? Or do you slice it up first? Usually I just barbecue some burgers, takes like twenty minutes to get them cooked all the way through. Need to cover them in ketchup to get rid of that awful charcoal taste though.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
When I’m lazy I can do a tri-tip in the oven with ~40 minutes cook time.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
IIRC it's a more tender cut in general. I remember even just grilling one whole to around medium rare didn't take long.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I serve mine to 140 and a 5lb cut of meat takes about 45 - 60 minutes, but honestly just jam a probe in there and take it out 10 degrees early to carry over cook and grill the corn while the meat is resting. That way you don't over do the meat and everything is done simultaneously.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh and if you put condiments on I will kick you out of my home are you kidding me right now?!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Turtlicious posted:

Oh and if you put condiments on I will kick you out of my home are you kidding me right now?!

condiments on tri tip is only if they dont season it in anyway and it came out like shoe leather. otherwise i agree

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

If kids are in school they are not with their parents and this is bad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Huh, I've never tried barbecuing a whole tri-tip or brisket before. Wouldn't it take a really long time to barbecue such a big piece of meat? Or do you slice it up first? Usually I just barbecue some burgers, takes like twenty minutes to get them cooked all the way through. Need to cover them in ketchup to get rid of that awful charcoal taste though.

you need to learn to use a grill properly. Even on a charcoal grill you shouldn't get much charcoal taste, and if you can't stand even that just get a drat propane grill.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Twitch posted:

Don't worry, the memelords were one step ahead of us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-Au0nJddo

Huh. I just listened to this with my headphones without watching the video & it wasn’t recognizable. The only thing I got was the song. :shrug:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Huh, I've never tried barbecuing a whole tri-tip or brisket before. Wouldn't it take a really long time to barbecue such a big piece of meat?

To do a proper Texas Brisket you smoke it over oak at 225 degrees, 90 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature at the thickest part is 206 degrees, then put it in a cambro for 3 hours to cool and reabsorb the juices.

So you're basically looking at 24 hours for a standard brisket cooked to perfection, and literally nothing on earth compares to it.

(See: people camping outside of Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX just for a chance to get a plate)

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I keep forgetting that trolling in PYF is pointless because the only thing goons love more than getting outraged is goonsplaining. I even threw in the ketchup line to make absolutely certain people knew I was being facetious and I still get loving recipes in response :rolleyes:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Like, now I understand why there are so few female comedians. It's not that women aren't funny, it's just that every time one makes a joke a helpful neckbeard runs up to explain the absurdity of the premise and offer a solution.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Like, now I understand why there are so few female comedians. It's not that women aren't funny, it's just that every time one makes a joke a helpful neckbeard runs up to explain the absurdity of the premise and offer a solution.

actually the reason why there are so few female comedians is heyyyyy wait a second

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
RIP Stan Lee :(

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jamesman posted:

RIP Stan Lee :(

Damnit why is it always the meme thread that I find this poo poo out!

Also RIP you magnificent bastard.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Finally!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Now we'll never know.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

This is a beautiful thing.

Oh right, post meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx52CUw-ils

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

KentuckyFriedNero posted:

This is a beautiful thing.

Oh right, post meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx52CUw-ils

This dude is so pretty he looks like he stepped out of the JoJo dimension

WHICH ONE OF YOU ASSHOLES LEFT THE DOOR TO THE JOJO DIMENSION OPEN

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Look up some KPOP groups, those dudes are ridiculously pretty.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you think he's ridiculously pretty then I have some very good news for you about a little thing called KPOP

e: beaten

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Samuringa posted:

Look up some KPOP groups, those dudes are ridiculously pretty.

are you from the gay agenda and are you trying to recruit me

because it is totally not worth the effort

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/lVhYC-HzeT4

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I've never heard a single KPOP song, just saying, those guys are rocking it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I've never heard a single KPOP song, just saying, those guys are rocking it.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

To do a proper Texas Brisket you smoke it over oak at 225 degrees, 90 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature at the thickest part is 206 degrees, then put it in a cambro for 3 hours to cool and reabsorb the juices.

So you're basically looking at 24 hours for a standard brisket cooked to perfection, and literally nothing on earth compares to it.

(See: people camping outside of Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX just for a chance to get a plate)

What is a cambro, some Mexican pot or such?

I am not from a barbecue region, and thus can remain neutral and enjoy it all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

gleebster posted:

What is a cambro, some Mexican pot or such?

I am not from a barbecue region, and thus can remain neutral and enjoy it all.

Sealed container that holds heat.

I wrap mine in aluminum foil and toss it in a cooler (like a big beach / tailgating cooler).

A proper cambro is those huge racks with glass doors that keep food warm. You see them a lot in banquet and fast food restaurants.

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Jul 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I keep forgetting that trolling in PYF is pointless because the only thing goons love more than getting outraged is goonsplaining. I even threw in the ketchup line to make absolutely certain people knew I was being facetious and I still get loving recipes in response :rolleyes:

They're just trolling you back one meta level higher, even if they don't know they're doing it.