Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

simplyhorribul posted:

I did the mistake for taking on commission and moving to Japan about half a year ago. I had my doubts since being into anime and manga as teenager, I knew already then what sort of AUG-y path that will lead if you go full-weaboo. And maaaan, I haven't seen so much western AUG in my entire life than what I have seen here and I've graduated from the frigging university of nerds. Every single westerner I talked here have been exclusively on board with how Japanese (and Asian girls) are so much better and there is no single bad thing in Japanese culture or how they operate as a nation and a society. Or how the loving superior culture Japan has compared to Western and poo poo. Needless to say, I learned a great deal of patience not to jam my fist through their face.

I am literally counting hours (still about month away) for returning home and knowing that I don't have to see ever again another alive weaboo fetishizing Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

Narrator's voice: He wasn't.

we're fighting now

cash crab posted:

On the other hand, tumblr comes through constantly!

please don't doxx my mom

text me a vag pic has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jul 6, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

simplyhorribul posted:

I did the mistake for taking on commission and moving to Japan about half a year ago. I had my doubts since being into anime and manga as teenager, I knew already then what sort of AUG-y path that will lead if you go full-weaboo. And maaaan, I haven't seen so much western AUG in my entire life than what I have seen here and I've graduated from the frigging university of nerds. Every single westerner I talked here have been exclusively on board with how Japanese (and Asian girls) are so much better and there is no single bad thing in Japanese culture or how they operate as a nation and a society. Or how the loving superior culture Japan has compared to Western and poo poo. Needless to say, I learned a great deal of patience not to jam my fist through their face.

I am literally counting hours (still about month away) for returning home and knowing that I don't have to see ever again another alive weaboo fetishizing Japan.

This.

I live over in Japan as well, and I would say that 95% of my interactions with westerners have fluctuated between cringe-worthy and just downright awful. There are so many people who came to Japan straight out of college without learning any social skills or just assuming that they will now star in their own personal anime. There's a lot of handwaving of some highly suspect cultural norms and the whole country gets viewed through some skewed rose colored glasses. The cultural ambassadors that Japan gets from around the world are pretty much all hall of famers here in the AUG thread.

EDIT: As a small Japan tax, found in the wilds in a junior high school here.

Azzur has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Jul 6, 2018

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

simplyhorribul posted:

When I went to Japan (Ebina, in Kanagawa), I was expecting some kind of hardcore culture shock, but when I got there, it was pretty much like any other city in Canada or the US I'd visited (except hotter than most Canadian cities, of course; maybe on par with a place like Atlanta). The only big differences that mattered on the day-to-day were better public transit, more video arcades, and different street food. Oh, and everyone speaking Japanese, but like, that's to be expected. It was also kinda nice to be able to walk around with the equivalent of 500 bucks just sitting in your pocket and not ever worry about being mugged, because apparently mugging is just... not something that's done in Japan, or something. I mean... I'm sure it does happen, but it's apparently rare enough that you'd really have to go out of your way to get mugged (like, blind drunk, stumbling through an alley shouting "OH I HAVE SO MUCH YEN IN MY POCKET" in Japanese level out of your way).

The only real cultural difference that took me by surprise was how almost everyone I spoke with had just one hobby that they were super committed to. Like, all of our teaching material concerning conversations about hobbies and interests used some variation of the phrase "what is your hobby" in the singular, and the few times that I tried to converse with my students (teenagers and adults) about hobbies in the plural, they'd usually get sort of confused and a bit taken aback, and say, "no, I just have one, and it's [photography/birdwatching/piano/tennis/whatever]." This might be confirmation bias, or I might have just had a group of very dedicated and committed students, but I never did run into a Japanese person who was a dilettante in a bunch of things, the way people I know from Canada/the US are.

I'm sure people are thinking "what about the workaholic salaryman problem?" Well... yeah, there were a few cases of sad, destroyed-looking early middle-aged men schlepping their way home at 10PM, often drunk already, rumpled ties and all... but to be honest, I don't see how wage slavery in the West is any different, except perhaps that people in Japan don't shop around as much for other jobs mid-career.

As to the other toxic aspects of Japanese culture, I feel like that's not really my mess to clean up or comment on extensively, but it doesn't seem all that dissimilar from any other developed nation with a legacy of capitalism and its own brand of imperialism. The few students I taught who were of Korean or Chinese descent were not shy about how lovely they're treated when people find out they're "not really Japanese", and of the ethnic Japanese students who were even comfortable enough to talk about the subject, they were more or less like, "yeah, this is a problem in our country, but what can you do about it?" in a sort of "let's not rock the boat" way. Actually, one of my biggest takeaways about the country is that "let's not rock the boat" might as well be a national motto. I mean, glass houses here; I'm from Canada, and our national motto is probably some variation thereof, like "hey, no need to rock the boat, our boat is pretty good - and have you seen America's boat???"

Anyway, the weeaboo problem was... refreshingly not an issue when I was living there. I was even teaching at one of the nerdier branches of the English school company I worked for, and somehow weeaboo syndrome wasn't as big with my fellow teachers as I thought it would be; mostly, we all just played Magic: the Gathering a lot, because English language Magic cards (not being in super high demand) were pretty cheap in Japan at that time. So I guess I somehow dodged that bullet; maybe because it was the nerd branch, everyone in it was sort of self-aware of the propensity for weeabooism, and did their best not to get caught up in it?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

hater swill say its fake

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The real AUG is that comma usage.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

HappyKitty posted:

Actually, one of my biggest takeaways about the country is that "let's not rock the boat" might as well be a national motto. I mean, glass houses here; I'm from Canada, and our national motto is probably some variation thereof, like "hey, no need to rock the boat, our boat is pretty good - and have you seen America's boat???"
I guess it differs in that sense that in Europe - unfortunately - there are certain pocket of social classes that do not see America's boat as problematic, but still buy the "American Dream"-narrative to extent of badmouthing everything un-American by complimenting America. It's just something you can't ignore when it comes up again and again.

And that sort of "poo poo talk others by complimenting another"-weaboism was pretty rampant on people I met/had to deal with, especially Japanese products (cultural or whatever, I managed to create drama with expats by complaining how my Nikon camera was an utter piece of poo poo). I always thought it was just youthful naivety and inexperience on that account, but when people in my age bracket (30 - 40) kept doing it without noticing exclusively badmouthing everything outside Japan...it's just unbearable.

simplyhorribul has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jul 6, 2018

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
If you think the Westerners you meet in Japan are bad, you need to spend more time with Koreaboos.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I wasa doing and dig and I don't know what the gently caress I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exeUpPlLS9Y

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

CeramicPig posted:

A grab bag of aug!

Another fallen child star. What a shame for peek-at-chu, soon to be pedophile milkshake duck.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

oh wow

Mr. Snickerdoodles
Nov 19, 2013

I just got done with the My 600 Pound Life megathread and feel the need to cross post these images to that thread.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBgwCmXhY8

I forgot about cheesy potato lady.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I don't even give a gently caress about how much she's eating, it's lines like "ooey gooey" and watching her almost vomit when presented with vegetables. What a loving child.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
"Chivalry." :females:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

I feel like people never believe me when I say how absolutely creepy it can be to date as a physically disabled person. I would be deeply surprised to meet somebody in their mid-30s like me with a physical disability who has not dealt with one or more people like this in the real world. Creepy motherfuckers.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/0hoWSEv.gifv

If you're not slurping your gravy out of a plastic cup in the parking lot of the KFC, are you even living?

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

cash crab posted:

I don't even give a gently caress about how much she's eating, it's lines like "ooey gooey" and watching her almost vomit when presented with vegetables. What a loving child.

I feel awful watching this.

Thanks!!!!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tendai posted:

I feel like people never believe me when I say how absolutely creepy it can be to date as a physically disabled person. I would be deeply surprised to meet somebody in their mid-30s like me with a physical disability who has not dealt with one or more people like this in the real world. Creepy motherfuckers.

I'm sorry y'all have your own weird chasers, there are people who want a trans fucktoy really, really bad. :smith:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

T-man posted:

I'm sorry y'all have your own weird chasers, there are people who want a trans fucktoy really, really bad. :smith:

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Nurge posted:

If you're not slurping your gravy out of a plastic cup in the parking lot of the KFC, are you even living?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8kTOdanxFI

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

bow wow wow yippee yo yippe yay

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

text me a vag pic posted:

bow wow wow yippee yo yippe yay

That's ruff friend

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Why is there a watermelon in a skillet? What's the plan there?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

honda whisperer posted:

Why is there a watermelon in a skillet? What's the plan there?

Step one: cut a hole in the watermelon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

La Brea Carpet posted:

Step one: cut a hole in the watermelon.

:frogon:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

The real dog looks so terrified.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Saw this over in the IOSM thread and it seems perfect here.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Step two: put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yeah this is why I don't date devotees.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

:stare:

What. The. gently caress.

That's gotta be the healthiest relationship I've ever read about. Being mad that your girlfriend is shutting down your sexual advances because she's sick is a new level of wtf. And that's before we even get to him jerking it to a video of him and his ex.

Jesus. :psyduck:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

She's become a neck pillow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leavemywife posted:

This is some Dennis Reynolds poo poo

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Nurge posted:

This fills me with an absolute primal sadness. I can barely look at this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You don’t know Aug until you’ve been around the world tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt5_L0GDPNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2AWIXY1CXQ

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I have some notes about those videos, because they were new to me and also an experience.

In the first one, I note that he does not explain the hat. That is fine, although I do imagine that he went to Disneyland alone. I also noticed that (if I am reading correctly) the clock read quarter to two, and I am wondering if this is in the afternoon, or in the morning, and which would be sadder. I got 0:55 into the video.

In the second, I was overwhelmed by how sad I was that he was filming this in his car. I assume he eats in his car a lot. When he said "I read a lot of literature books," I was immediately skeptical, and I suspect that he is referring to a brief intellectual nadir in high school wherein he was forced, by threat of expulsion, to read a book. Once that was over, he would watch a lot of stand-up on late night TV. I would be willing to bet my life.

I got 2:29 into this video. I think that I keep stopping the moment he starts eating in both videos because the second he "goes for it", that really intense jokey vibe instantly shatters and his face goes blank and it's like staring at sadness, as man.

A genuinely horrible addition. Thank you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re very welcome. Joey is a late night favorite of mine where I laugh at cringe at this weird sad man who eats food in his car. Because he was so gross he’ll never reach a
Million subs like my boy Report of the Week, (food reviewer In a suit kid)who broke out of his aug shell by just being him and being awesome.

Joey has a vid of him at Disneyland eating a turkey leg and it’s nasty as hell.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Did... did he go alone?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. Looks like someone is holding the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHqHj7OlJAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

cash crab posted:

On the plus side she did recover enough with therapy to start eating other things and be able to sit at a table to eat with her husband.

But from having read every 'fat is beautiful' thread that's been on the forums, the description 'ooey-gooey', nourish/nourishment being used as a justification to gulp down more calories in a meal than I could eat in a week, and an adult saying 'tummy' when they're not talking to a child or being sarcastic all get on my nerves.

I think I might need to take a break from the 'fat is beautiful' type threads for a bit.